Community
Search
Notices
Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

BIG LAMA

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 02:13 PM
rikybob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BIG LAMA

ORIGINAL: aircrash

Hi everybody,

Well... Hmm, do you remember the good flying and with all the work I had done on it BOL?
Forget about it!

No, I did not bought a 450!
I must forget about it though. As I lost it! [img][/img]
I went to the park, a bit windy. OK , I said.
But remember I told you it`s not good at FF at wind?
Well, it could not get back to me, the wind took it away, kept going far away, I tried... but no!
It went behind some trees, at a closed area inside the park. I could not get there though.

I should have killed the throttle, even if it would drop from 20m it would have some damage but at least I would get some parts of it.
I did not killed the throttle, I lowered it, lost some height, then applied FF and throttle, no, the wind was stronger than its power...

I should have killed the throttle!
Now I learnt the small damage is better than no BOL at all. [img][/img]

So I must get ready the #3 BOL I have (now only 2). It needs taping, leds, credit card battery holder mod, heatsinks, xtreme extended shaft and cup.
[img][/img]

Have fun,

Spiros
Spiros,

I am soooooo sorry to hear about your luck![:@]

Is it lost forever???

Brian
Old 05-24-2010, 02:14 PM
Buz

ORIGINAL: Ooben

Hi all, I'm a long time lurker, first time poster. I wasn't going to post anything until I had read all the posts on this thread. However, after my adventures this weekend, I thought I would share them with everyone. I've found a few things to do with your Big Lama when you start getting bored with it.....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H30YFw5a7jE[/youtube]

This was a failed attempt to push over my wife's quilt studio, ok, so that wasn't all that exciting, so I thought I would try this....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjL1_3aGkgM[/youtube]

I found that the length and pitch of the rotors are not ideal for underwater travel, I'll do some more testing and get back to you on what works the best......[img][/img]

Anyway, after my Big Lama's brief career as a submarine, it checked out ok after I dried everything off....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb2IbcxX2Ok[/youtube]

I would like to thank the members of this forum for sharing all their knowledge, it has really shortened my learning curve,(with the exception of the little swimming episode....)
Mike

Mike... I had to laugh when you landed in the pond. Amazing how you can blow the water out and it just keeps running. I did a similar thing with an electric sand buggy at the beach. I ran out too close to the water and a small wave broke over the car. LOL I raced back home, threw it in the bathtub and washed all of the salt water out. Then, I blew all the water out with my compressor and it ran just as strong as ever. Funny video. Oh, and welcome aboard!

Buzz
Old 05-24-2010, 02:15 PM
aircrash

OK, after Iordered an xtreme shaft & cup I can now have all the time till Ibuild the new BOL.

So Vince I have seen:
1) the flybar link rod makes a difference to the onboard video. It is a lot smoother. It changes the rotor speed as well, which changes the vibration`s frequency.

2) the gyro sensitivity. As you may have seen it caused the focus problem.

3) the center of gravity. A good at hovering bird makes a good video.

4) the blades must be tight, so they can move only when you gently slap them. All of them be the same tight.

5) the blades themselves. Well, I have only used the HPblades to the onboard video, but as Simon says they do make a deifference, which I believe. As the lift power changes, and so changes the rotor`s speed, so changes the vibration`s frequency and they are also softer to any rotor change (in speed, angle, force).

6) the outer shaft. It must be as straight as possible. Have the upper rotor head removed (or the inner shaft w/head if you have a stock shaft) and remove the bearing cup also.
Then lower the lower gear so it does not make contact to the motor`s pinion (if you have a stock inner shaft then it will be removed anyway).
Then apply a liitle throttle so the outer shaft start spinning at a low speed. Have a marker ready and the bird close to a stable point, so you can support your arm to the stable point and have the marker touching only the bent point. It will mark it and then at this side you apply gently a little force to the upper point of the shaft. This liitle force can make it get bent so it gets now straight. Do it in steps so it spins with no wobble at all.
A bent outer shaft will make the inner shaft to wobble as well. So much even if the inner shaft is straight.
This makes bad hovering, the bird goes around (back and forth and to the side) and also makes a lot of vibrations.

7) a metal kit is vulnerable to a crash. Its blade grips and/or the lower rotor holder may have been bent or have a gap. This makes a lot of vibrations. Even if it can fly about good then the onboard video is poor.

8) anything that can make vibrations and/or wobble. As the gear mesh and the rest.

9) and the last I think. The camera holder/position.

I think it`s more luck than something you can predict.

PS. Mike I enjoyed your waterproof testing!

Old 05-24-2010, 02:21 PM
aircrash

ORIGINAL: rikybob

Spiros,

I am soooooo sorry to hear about your luck![:@]

Is it lost forever???

Brian
Hi Brian,

It is lost for good!
RIP.
The new owner is a tree I suppose!
At Christmas this particular tree will be proud of its nice leds that has.

But you know! Ihave a "spare" stock BOL in the box. Brand new, ready for a tree
If I find a non-Tx version I`ll buy one (once again).

I wish for better luck and keeping low than excited/overestimated to all the fliers there. Especially me, that I did not learn the first time.

PS. I already miss it though, it was a good bird. Except of its cost and the job I have done.

Still, have fun,

Spiros
Old 05-24-2010, 02:49 PM
aircrash

I saw the video and remembered what happened.

While I was flying the bird one old guy came by, saw the BOL told it is not making noise, and then sit down at a bench. In front of me and about the flying area of the BOL. He could not realise he could be in danger.
I was afraid I could hit him and did not lowered at this point the throttle.
I had seen though that the wind was strong and I should get the BOL down.

So I have one advice to myself.
If there is a stranger close then tell politely, or even yell at him, to get away.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:46 PM
aircrash

Hi again,

I took the new and anxious to fly BOL from the box.

Brand new. So I took the digital scale also out and saw that:
A stock weighs 403.7g, at 336.7g without a battery.

It is a lot less than the RIP BOL, which was at about 465g.
But it will be the same heavy. As I`ll install the xtreme components, heatsinks, the taping, leds, battery tray mod.

So again it will fly the same. A bit less in lifting power (anyway it had no such problem) but better to wind. This bird seems too light and nervous.

This one does not drift to the left. As its 3in1 is genuine. Ihope it has the right low voltage protection also, that in the previous BOLIhad, I had changed the 3in1 to another that it had no protection at all and was drifting to the left no matter what.

I can see it wants to be not only the replacement (to the RIP BOL) but a lot better! It has a different personality even if it comes from the same family.

To Esky:
Release a non-TX BOL.

I would not had built a BOL from scratch (the RIP BOLwas one) by getting the cheapest available parts found in ebay, so it could be cheaper than a RTFBOL. Most of them not genuine, so you loose money.

Spiros

Old 05-24-2010, 03:52 PM
Ooben

"Mike,

I'm just gonna say it.

You sir, are a maniac! [img]{akamaiimageforum}/image/s2.gif[/img]"

Thanks Brian, coming from you I consider it a great compliment!

Spiros, sorry about your loss, that really sucks!

Buzz, I have had similar experiences, back in my 1/10 off road days we had a table top jump that had a kiddie pool as the top, I learned real quick not to apply any signal to the car when under water....did that only once...

I've been reading this forum so long I feel like I know most of you, by far the most friendly I've seen, thanks for the welcome!

Mike<div id="TixyyLink" style="border: medium none ; overflow: hidden; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); background-color: transparent; text-align: left; text-decoration: none;">
</div>
Old 05-24-2010, 04:30 PM
sgbfly

Hi Mike,

Welcome! &amp; wow what a stunning video debut Thanks for sharing your little misadventure lol

Hi Spiros,

Oh no! Sorry to read of your loss I'm not 100% this evening (headache) so I will read your posts more carefully tomorrow!

nite all

Simon
Old 05-24-2010, 04:37 PM
aircrash

Hi again Mike,

So be a lurker, be a member, a friend!
Be a BOLlover!
Welcome again, and to any who like to join us.

I should have took care of it. I don`t mean of the BOL, I mean of the parts Imiss now!
I have lots of them but no heatsinks (they don`t wear out, do they?), no xtreme shaft &amp;cup (except of the one installed on the modded BOL).
I`m a spare parts maniac, still missing a few!

Now after so many time spent on the RIPBOLIrealise how heavy it was. The new stock one seems light to the feeling of the control.
Maybe it`s the swashplate also, as it has a bit longer ball link joints than the modded swashplate Iwas using, although it still has shorter than a spare swashplate (the stock fitted on a RTFBOLhas two short and two long ball link joints, but uses the short ones, while a spare "stock" swashplate comes with all the four of them be the same, long).
But it uses a stock inner shaft that makes it smoother, so with an xtreme shaft it would feel more "light".

Sure it flies good, for sure it hovers perfectly, to the same height, you leave it, get away and still hovers at the same point, and it needs only one turn to the elevator so the trim settings be at the center (or trim to the center but the battery moved a bit to the front). But its feeling is "light".

So I could say to Vince that the good result Ihad to the onboard video was the head speed, as it was heavier so it needed more head speed.

That was my review of a stock BOLto a modded one.

Hi Simon,

I just saw your post.
Iwish it goes away. Maybe an aspirin ( I take paracetamol in such cases though, as aspirin is not good to some allergies).
Thanks for the sympathy.

Good night.

Spiros
Old 05-24-2010, 05:31 PM
Sky Soldier

Welcome Mike,

Thanks for the vid. You should fit in nicely with the other Maniac's here.

Hey Spiros,

Sorry to hear of your disaster. I'll lower my wind sock to half mast to honor your loss. The pain can only be somewhat less knowing that your parts buying hobby has filled several bins.

Calm winds and Clear alley's,
Jerry

ps. My BOL's have the cc mod with name and address printed on the card in case they get lost.

pps. TO ESKY Big Lama Manufacturers/Resellers,
PLEASE release a 2.4G Big Lama without Transmitter very soon....!<div id="TixyyLink" style="overflow: hidden; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); background-color: transparent; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; border: medium none;">
</div>
Old 05-24-2010, 05:51 PM
aircrash

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for the condolences.
Who would have thought Ihad no heatsinks as a spare part.
But to tell the truth I had some on the go -already ordered- a few days ago. ROFL Truly. (actually Iwas thinking to have two brushed BOLRTF)
I had a 3in1, motors, fuselage, lots of the other stuff, even a whole BOL. But no heatsinks.

So for the last goodbye to the old trusty worthy (oops, Isaid too much) BOL this video must be posted again!

Goodbye ol`BOL. Farewell, rest in peace (in the tree), lit some leds at Christmas, make the tree happy!
I`ll miss you but your son -new BOL- will get you proud and remembered.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xMRtI7DAa8[/youtube]

So, I think that`s enough. I have to buy some parts now.

Spiros
Old 05-24-2010, 08:31 PM
kiwigeoff

Spiros,

Great loss to a find bird, especially the hours you have spent on it. Glad you have plenty of parts to mod the new RTF BOL already, otherwise all the HK parts places will be empty again

Mike

Welcome and a great intro with the Bird Bath video.

All,

Here is why you need to charge your Lipo's somewhere safe. This one was charging with others in my flameproof dish and for reasons unknown it got very Fat and hot. Luckily I keep an casual eye on things as they charge. This could have been a smoker or worst if I had not turned it off. This was one of the cheaper batteries supplied from the HK based Pr301 vendor noted on previous links, and was being charged on one of the Pr301 chargers. Not sure at this stage if I have a faulty charger or just dud battery. All the Pr301 chargers and batteries have done about 5 full cycles to date.

Geoff<br type="_moz" />
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92516.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	1441970  
Old 05-24-2010, 09:38 PM
pgroom_68

../
Hmm, do you remember the good flying and with all the work I had done on it BOL?
Forget about it!
No, I did not bought a 450!
I must forget about it though. As I lost it! [img][/img]
I went to the park, a bit windy. OK , I said.
But remember I told you it`s not good at FF at wind?
Well, it could not get back to me, the wind took it away, kept going far away, I tried... but no!
It went behind some trees, at a closed area inside the park. I could not get there though.
I should have killed the throttle, even if it would drop from 20m it would have some damage but at least I would get some parts of it.
I did not killed the throttle, I lowered it, lost some height, then applied FF and throttle, no, the wind was stronger than its power...
I should have killed the throttle!
Now I learnt the small damage is better than no BOL at all. [img][/img]
So I must get ready the #3 BOL I have (now only 2). It needs taping, leds, credit card battery holder mod, heatsinks, xtreme extended shaft and cup.
[img][/img]
Have fun,
Hey and welcome Mike,

Because you have been reading along - you probably know me by now[sm=49_49.gif] My first experience with R/C was a small submarine in my (then girlfriend - now wife's) aquarium - tormenting the fish! LOL
Keep flying & posting those videos - we all love 'em![sm=wink_smile.gif]

Hey again Spiros,

Take your wife back the the park with you. She'll find it!!
A "closed area inside the park" - contact the park authority and ask for access Go on - have a REALLY GOOD look before you write it off. As you say, you have put a lot of $ and effort into that bird. Noone has the legal right to take that away from you....(unless there are signs)

Peter[sm=shades_smile.gif]
P.S. Back to work....[:@]
Old 05-24-2010, 09:41 PM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: kiwigeoff
Luckily I keep an casual eye on things as they charge. This could have been a smoker or worst if I had not turned it off. This was one of the cheaper batteries supplied from the HK based Pr301 vendor noted on previous links, and was being charged on one of the Pr301 chargers. Not sure at this stage if I have a faulty charger or just dud battery. All the Pr301 chargers and batteries have done about 5 full cycles to date.
Hey again Geoff,

[X(][X(][X(]Was there any squealing noise to notify you of a problem??

P.S. [sm=72_72.gif]All the videos of "lipo destruction" show that, after pumping in the amps without stopping, the lipo expands & expands, high-pitched squeal (a bit like a boiling kettle but getting higher and louder) a few seconds before exploding into flames!!
P.P.S. Dispose of it properly: Drop it into salty water overnight, then check it again with volt meter to ensure no charge is left. Only then is it inert and safe to trash..........[sm=wink_smile.gif]
Old 05-24-2010, 11:09 PM
aircrash

Hi Geoff,

Thank you.

I have 4x those batteries and 1x PR301, and waiting for another 3x PR301. Till now those batteries have about 7 cycles on esky and the pr301 charger. Some other batteries have some cycles on the PR301 too. In fact the charger has charged many batteries till now. So far so good, but I`ll be more careful with them and especially the charger.
I think you must pay attention to the charger though.
Glad you got it safe and glad you informed us about it.

Post back for any other useful info.

Hi Peter,

Thank you also.

I see you remember my wife finds everything I loose.
But it is a closed area, have a fence and there is some organization there. I went there rang the ring, one guy searched as much as he could (not so good though) and responded negative.
This park has a very large area (actually it`s huge) and unfortunately when there is some wind then it is too tricky. It kept going backwards although it was nose in and applied FF, loose throttle applied again FF and throttle... I tried making a fast turn so it gains speed, no. Tried tail in and backwards, no. I just lost time with any effort.
I should have killed the throttle before it goes too far away. It would have some damage but at least there would be many saved.
It lost signal and suddenly droped down. The only good thing is the antenna I had installed was working as it should be, tested.

I think I`ll never go there again. A wide open area to wind, have some trees that fool you there is no wind and when it goes a bit to the tree level then it gets too windy.
I have gone three times, all of them I did not managed to fly good even if there was not too windy. I have gone to very windy places, but this is just not working for me.

It had the very same battery that was installed the previous time Ilost the bird. This battery finally kidnapped the BOL... ROFL

So, I`m back to work also.

Spiros

Old 05-25-2010, 01:22 AM
Edmund2

Welcome Mike, tothe best thread on thenet.

Spiros, seems like we had the same ESKY Tech putting our stock birds together. Perhaps he should build the tx free ones you guys are calling for. Was frowned upon when I lowered the Greek flag in our courtyard for a minute of silence in memory of your lost bird. (Due to SWC we have flags and a few extrasall over the place at work)

BTW all, the 3 LHS I asked indicated that BOL is the besteller on their floors, then L4. Surprisingly how many people indicate thatthey have some heli carcassstuck away ina cupboard after a crash which they never bothered to repair. Just boughtaBOL with cabin shoring busted and a holein the fuselage for almost nothing. Willcost Euro 15 to repair unless I just use a piece of the CP2 CX's
busted fuselage to glue into thehole.

Peter, in case you have not noticed the Crusaders lost again and two SA teams will be playing the Super 14 final.

Edmund2
Old 05-25-2010, 02:23 AM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: Edmund2
Welcome Mike, to the best thread on the net.
Spiros, seems like we had the same ESKY Tech putting our stock birds together. Perhaps he should build the tx free ones you guys are calling for. Was frowned upon when I lowered the Greek flag in our courtyard for a minute of silence in memory of your lost bird. (Due to SWC we have flags and a few extras all over the place at work)
BTW all, the 3 LHS I asked indicated that BOL is the besteller on their floors, then L4. Surprisingly how many people indicate that they have some heli carcass stuck away in a cupboard after a crash which they never bothered to repair. Just bought a BOL with cabin shoring busted and a hole in the fuselage for almost nothing. Will cost Euro 15 to repair unless I just use a piece of the CP2 CX's
busted fuselage to glue into the hole.
Peter, in case you have not noticed the Crusaders lost again and two SA teams will be playing the Super 14 final.
Hey again Edmund,

Shhh! Yeah - I know[sm=red_smile.gif]

Excellent deal with that latest addition to your hanger mate. I wish I could get a BOL like that too....!

P.S. Just tape the fuse up as well as you can - you fly it away from viewers!?!? Yip. The BOL is a bestseller.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:28 AM
pgroom_68

Hi Peter,
Thank you also. [img][/img]
I see you remember my wife finds everything I loose.
But it is a closed area, have a fence and there is some organization there. I went there rang the ring, one guy searched as much as he could (not so good though) and responded negative.
This park has a very large area (actually it`s huge) and unfortunately when there is some wind then it is too tricky. It kept going backwards although it was nose in and applied FF, loose throttle applied again FF and throttle... I tried making a fast turn so it gains speed, no. Tried tail in and backwards, no. I just lost time with any effort.
I should have killed the throttle before it goes too far away. It would have some damage but at least there would be many saved.
It lost signal and suddenly droped down. The only good thing is the antenna I had installed was working as it should be, tested.
I think I`ll never go there again. A wide open area to wind, have some trees that fool you there is no wind and when it goes a bit to the tree level then it gets too windy.
I have gone three times, all of them I did not managed to fly good even if there was not too windy. I have gone to very windy places, but this is just not working for me.
It had the very same battery that was installed the previous time I lost the bird. This battery finally kidnapped the BOL... ROFL
So, I`m back to work also.
Hey again Spiros,

You'd be surprised what I remember mate
My point is that you shouldn't stop a fence from separating you from your property! Again I encourage you to go to the door, ring the bell, and ask if you can have a good search. You will regret it later if you don't[sm=49_49.gif][sm=wink_smile.gif]

P.S. WHEN you get your BOL back again - take that "kidnapping" lipo and [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=9757067]trash it[/link]!!!!!!!!!! LOL [sm=teeth_smile.gif]
Old 05-25-2010, 06:43 AM
Edmund2

No heli at work today, weather absolutely perfect for flying and have nothing to do for next hour or so, pity.[X(] Watch me leave early again today to go flying. (Nice if you are the boss)

Edmund2
Old 05-25-2010, 07:22 AM
pgroom_68

Hey again all,

Here's a short BOL video....
(no helicopters were harmed in the making of this video)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8mkapcGui8[/youtube]

P.S. The music on my last video (the one of the foam BiPlane) was “A World too Far†by Avenue C[sm=wink_smile.gif]

Old 05-25-2010, 07:35 AM
sgbfly

Hi Peter,

cool vid! The sunnies work well More please!

Was it wearing 400D blades or am I mistaken? Also, I did not catch what you said right at the end as you were switching off the camera.

As an aside, we should all head over to our I/H's channel in a few minutes

Simon
Old 05-25-2010, 07:39 AM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: Edmund2
No heli at work today, weather absolutely perfect for flying and have nothing to do for next hour or so, pity.[X(] Watch me leave early again today to go flying. (Nice if you are the boss)

Edmund2
Hey again Edmund,

N-i-c-e! Most of my colleagues are away on their holidays this week - but I take mine later on (to coinside with my son's school hols) - but I would have loved to throw a sickie or leave early today too. I work outdoors and it was raining for half of the day! - cold & miserable Sydney in the Fall/Winter..........[:'(]

Old 05-25-2010, 07:50 AM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: sgbfly
Hi Peter,
cool vid! The sunnies work well [img][/img] More please!
Was it wearing 400D blades or am I mistaken? Also, I did not catch what you said right at the end as you were switching off the camera.
As an aside, we should all head over to our I/H's channel in a few minutes
Hey again Simon,

Thanks mate.
Yeah I just took that red BOL out of the box and removed the Esky blades[X(] (Spiros won't ever talk to me again) replacing them with Walkera 400Ds (red) blades which I had trimmed to the same length as the Esky blades; and changed the flybar for a Helitek-rc.com adjustable flybar - tweaked the top link, and you saw the result! I'm not sure what happened to cause that minor crash - but afterwards I said "Bugger...just a jiffy and I'll have it back"
I'm going over to the other channel now.....

Edit: Wow - that's one h@ll of a nice bird! I wonder how long it will be before Brian gets some complaints about the noise?

Old 05-25-2010, 08:09 AM
sgbfly

ORIGINAL: pgroom_68
Edit: Wow - that's one h@ll of a nice bird! I wonder how long it will be before Brian gets some complaints about the noise?
ROFL, well if he is mowing the grass in the dark and flying his heli's at dawn then dun dun duuunnnn

Oh yes I noticed you had the helitek flybar on. I've not tried mine yet because a different project has my attention . However, I've had a parcel from Hong Kong today of parts for bbBOL #2!

Its a national holiday this weekend so we get an extra day off work. Maybe I can finish my HK450GT and bbBOL#2! The Helitek flybar will end up on bbBOL#1

Simon
Old 05-25-2010, 10:04 AM
rikybob

Hi all!

I hope you are all having a great day!

As Simon has eluded to I am now a 450 class pilot! My [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1dzGe0xH74]finest production value video [/link] NOT!

Ok, cool to look at the crack on my driveway anyway!

You all get the picture non-the-less!

It was an amazing event building and trouble shooting. I sleep like a baby in the night after working on the build! I am actually going to have to go back and do notes! My intent in the future is to puchase another as a spare!

As for flying it is VERY stable, save my initial tail issue. I burnt up a servo in the build and had to put a cheap servo on the suffice! One needs a FAST high quality servo!

I have several observatons:

1) When I 1st spooled it up, I wet myself a little.

2) I have to constantly remind myself that "altitude is life insurance" like a real bird

3) I have to constantly remind myself to get the h*ll back about 10'

4) You can fly it in wind with NO problem, it actually beats the air into submission. Wind this am was 3-5 kts.

5) The skids fit the tailgate on the back of my truck perfectly so I can change batts on a good surface

6) Place the bird, each time, in such a way to, when plugged in that the blades will not strike anything if there is an un intended spool up.

7) This thing WILL hurt you.

8) Tell daughter in law to not speak to you in passing on her way to go to her car as she scared the crap out of me while concentrating on flying!

9) Neighbors are cool!

10) I am actually running out of front yard!

That's about enough for now!

Best to ya!

Brian

Edit: PS wifey got her kitchen table back (for now)!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.