Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Reaction 54 Jet Kit

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Reaction 54 Jet Kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 10:29 PM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Reaction 54 Jet Kit

Ok I give up! How do you upload a video?

Dave Rigotti
Old 06-14-2005, 07:43 AM
TommyWatson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave,

I think you need to find someone with a server that can store the video and then you provide a link to the server.

How big is it?.

Regards
Old 06-15-2005, 10:01 PM
rcguy!

OK Folks,
Attached below is a 163MPH pass. I've renamed it with a .jpg extension.
Save it to your hard drive with a right click, "save as" Rename it with a .WMV extension.
I'll have more this weekend. It MAY be sunny!

Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Bz79252.jpg (1.85 MB, 117 views)
Old 06-17-2005, 11:08 AM
hoppy99
My Feedback: (2)

Hi Guys
I just finished up a couple of other projects and now its time to start the Reaction. I see from this thread a number are built and flying and flying very well ! It looks like everyone is happy with the kit. Are there any suggestions or hints about building and setting up this kit. Like open bay or fully sheeted wing, Monokote or glass and paint. I have a Wren MW-54 MK ll and Trim wheels and brakes for it.

Thanks
John
Old 06-17-2005, 11:15 AM
rcguy!

John,
Mine is Monokote, fully sheeted wing, built as per plans at 18 1/4 pounds. Very happy with it. Stout airframe. I do use a Jet Tech 72oz tank with a rear facing clunk. Landing gear is more than well braced. Don't get carried away with beefing anything up. ALL is well designed as is. Follow the plans and instructions and you'll be happy. Mine is powered with a JetCatUSA P60. 163MPH top speed, 120-135 crusing spped. Lands below 25MPH.

Dave "fifty flights on mine" Rigotti
Old 06-17-2005, 04:33 PM
TommyWatson

Hi John,

Mine is monokote, open bay wing, I too have a big kevlar tank with the clunk facing backwards. I originally had the Kavan brake, but I have since fitted Unibrakes on the mains.
I am waiting for another R54 kit. This one will be glass cloth over the fuse and tail and wing centre. I will still monokote the wings. It's just that I do a really bad job of monokote over balsa, and feel the glass will look better.
I have not flown mine as much as Dave but I concur with him, this is a great airplane.
Build it as per the instructions. I used BVM Aeropoxy where epoxy was called for, and whatever other glue was in the instructions.

Get ready to do a lot of sanding, but it is worth the effort.

Regards

Old 06-19-2005, 10:31 AM
hoppy99

Thanks Guys
Tommy, what is the weight of your RTF Reaction? I have a MKll so I'll need to keep it as light as I can. I guess it will be Monokoted to keep it light. It has been years since I've used that type of covering. One wing half is done and as stated it is a very robust structure.

John
Old 06-19-2005, 04:05 PM
TommyWatson

G'Day John,

Mine weighs 8.25 Kg or approx 18 pounds 3 ounces. I have about 10 ounces of lead in the nose. It is hard to get the total weight much lower than this. Weight is not really a problem.
Don't worry the Mk2 Wren will have plenty of power.
I have almost unlimited vertical performance. I am sure it would run out of puff sometime but it gets reall small reall quick.

I found I had to lower the idle speed of the wren to 45000 to get the thing to slow down on landing. It wanted to fly forever with the throttle closed.

I did move my engine foreward a little, (about 20mm), and cut a notch in the boat tail.
The new one will be done with glass cloth and resin just because I can do a better job with this than I can with monokote.

I am not a very experienced jet pilot and I still need to be very carefull at full speed. It is the fastest thing I have ever flown.

You are going to love it!!!.

Keep us informed of your progress.

Regards

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	He97138.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	287079  
Old 06-28-2005, 02:34 AM
TommyWatson

Dave,

Here is a place to put your Video. Here is a few shots of mine.

Some slow flight and a landing

http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=r54one20

Regards

Old 06-29-2005, 03:03 PM
marcofly

can one buy the reaction 54's plan only as the kit is a little expensive?
Old 06-29-2005, 04:47 PM
TommyWatson

I don't think all the ribs are shown on the plan. But I really think the Kit is worth more than what it costs when you consider the time it would take to cut all the parts to the accuracy that the kit parts are cut. The fit of ALL the parts is really impressive. I could not do as good no matter how long I took to cut the parts.

Save up and get the complete kit. You wont be disapointed.

Regards

Old 06-29-2005, 06:11 PM
tschuy

I concur with Tommy. Bruce has invested a great deal of time machining and perfecting the parts. In my own opinion they actually fit better then some of the laser cut kits that I've came across. To build from one of Bruce's kits is a great pleasure and make it very difficulty to ever want to build from another manufacture. All of them suck in quality compared to what you get from Bruce and I'm truly surprised on how little he charges when taking in consideration of what you get versus what you've paid. He should be charging more...

Cheers,
Old 06-29-2005, 06:31 PM
BruceTharpe

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Tim - Hmmmm, food for thought

Tommy - Loved the video. Those checkerboards show up great!
Old 06-29-2005, 06:43 PM
hoppy99

Guys
The Reactions wing is completed, tail feathers done,all is sanded and control surfaces fitted. Building fuse sub assemblies. Normally I'm a slow builder, but this one goes together real easy. Did all this in less than 10 days minus a few for minor surgery. The wing weighs 4 lbs 4 oz. Not bad for a fully sheeted 1500 sq in wing. Only had two problems, one my wife just retired and she is parking her car in my"SHOP"and it is covered with balsa dust and the other was one of the ribs was a little bit taller than the others until I found a cat hair under it,but when I removed it all fit perfectly.(lol) That's how good this kit is Thanks Bruce.

John
Old 06-29-2005, 07:59 PM
wd40
My Feedback: (81)

He has a new set of kits out now,and I have one on the way.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:00 AM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

Some of you might have read about my Ram 500 seizing up in flight over the weekend. I am getting a mount from Bruce this week so I can install a P-70 in its place. I just love this plane and will report back with pictures of the install and ballast requirements if necessary for correct CG.
Old 06-30-2005, 02:22 PM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

Hey guys,
I just ordered my kit yesterday and started thinking(I do that sometimes) if I have enough channels on my current radio. I have a Futaba 8 channel. I don't have the turbine yet and probably won't for a while. I see that many if not all turbines have a second channel for an emergency kill and that AMA also requires a way to shutdown the engine in a specified amount of time. So will eight channels get me by on this plane? Thanks

Marty
Old 06-30-2005, 02:55 PM
tschuy

Hi Marty,

I'm using the Futaba 9CAP but only using 7 channels. I have the FTE-T500 turbine which I bought from Frank Tiano's site. It doesn't have the separate kill channel but uses the throttle cut feature which is low throttle and low throttle trim. To start the turbine I have to set my throttle trim mid-way and have the throttle stick at the low position. I set my kill by using the throttle cut button which is programed to use low throttle and low trim. Another thing that you have to be aware of is that in a failsafe condition your turbine must shutdown within 2 seconds of a loss of communication. I'm not sure if your radio has the failsafe option but if not there are several aftermarket type devices out there that will do the same thing very well.

So your 8 channel radio will do fine...

Good luck with the kit. Take your time building the thing and read through the manual a couple of times to highlight some of the details. And as always keep up with this thread and read up on what a lot of us did. If it's not here then ask, becuse I'm sure someone will help you out.

Cheers,

Old 06-30-2005, 02:58 PM
tschuy

ORIGINAL: Ron Stahl

Some of you might have read about my Ram 500 seizing up in flight over the weekend. I am getting a mount from Bruce this week so I can install a P-70 in its place. I just love this plane and will report back with pictures of the install and ballast requirements if necessary for correct CG.
Hey Ron do post your results and let us know how the engine goes in. I'm about 5 days away from ordering my next R54 and will be building it with the P70 and will most likely go with the Kevlar tank that a few of the guys have been using. Post pictures if you got em.

Cheers,

Old 06-30-2005, 02:59 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Is Bruce making a P-70 mount yet?

thanks

Matt
Old 06-30-2005, 04:04 PM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

Tim,
Thanks for the info. Good to hear I won't need another radio yet. The super 8 has failsafe mode which I have setup in the only plane that I'm using a PCM receiver in.

Matt,
On Bruce's site he mentions a custom aluminum bracket for the P-60 or P-70 If you check under the combo deals.

Marty
Old 06-30-2005, 05:06 PM
BruceTharpe

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Marty - Tim's advice is perfect, I can't add anything. You might be interested to know the first few test flights on my R54 were made with an old five-channel Futaba (5UAP). I quickly realized the model needed flaps and upgraded to a 7-ch radio. Now fly with a 9CAP, but don't use all its capabilities.

Matt - For the P-70, I've settled on using the PST mount. It has the correct "wingspan", but requires spacers to put the turbine at the proper height. Email your address to me and I'll ship one out to you. Made any progress on your R54?

Bruce
---------------
BTE www.btemodels.com
Old 07-07-2005, 04:39 PM
TommyWatson

I am just starting on my second Reaction 54. The first is covered with Monokote and looks OK, but I can do a better job with Glass cloth and epoxy and paint.
Has anyone built a Reaction 54 using glass instead of film?.

If so any comments, Final Weight?, CG movement?, Glassing built up wings? (the starved dog look).

Regards
Old 07-08-2005, 11:41 AM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

Here's a picture of mine. The P-70 is almost installed and I should be finished by tonight. Pictures of the installation to follow as well as any mods that I may need to apply, so far none needed.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51630.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	294976  
Old 07-08-2005, 12:08 PM
tschuy

Very nice work Ron!!!

I'm really interested in some photo's of your P70 installation since I will be doing the same in the near future.

Cheers,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.