Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

KMP F-7F Tigercat

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 07:10 PM
jbwilhelmi
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: KMP F-7F Tigercat

Yes I am installing Sierra. Last message not very clear, sorry. Put a 14 oz DuBro tank in front of nacelle, not fun. Plan to put ignition battery in nacelle as well. Using Evolution 26 engines. No carb hole to cut and they have an inverted muffler that will discharge straight down.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:07 PM
Flakbait
My Feedback: (20)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Any flight video yet??
Great thread , Mine is Started, Saito 1.25's Twin Sync.,
Sierra gear. They are very nice!!
Regards,

Flakbait
Old 11-01-2007, 11:06 AM
duber3

ORIGINAL: VKerster

HI T-CAT BROS, DID FLIGHT #3 TODAY PLANE FLEW WELL, SUNNY AND 50 DEGREES, STILL WORKING ON ENGINE SINKS, HAD THE RIGHT ENGINE DIE ON FINAL APPROACH, LEFT ENGINE ABOUT 20 % POWER, FULL FLAPS RIGHT INTO THE WIND. PLANE DID NOT YAW TO THE RIGHT LIKE I THOUGHT IT WOULD. I CUT THE LEFT ENGINE TO IDLE AND THE PLANE FLEW STRAIGHT IN AND LANDED STRAIGHT. GOING TO HAVE TO RETHINK HOW TO GET THESE TWO ZENOAHS TO SINK. THINKING ABOUT A MIRICLE Y HARNESS. WHEN THESE ENGINES ARE AT FULL THROTTLE, THEY ARE PERFECTLY SINKED AND IT'S 50% TO 10% POWER IS WHEN THEY GO OUT OF SINK TO MAKE THE DREDDED "WAH WAH" GROWN[:'(] AT FULL THROTTLE THESE ENGINES BELLOW AND TURNS THE T-CAT INTO A ROCKET! AWESOME SIGHT!!
maybe this could help until you'll have a 9 chanels [link=http://www.rcshowcase.com/html/accessories/twinsync.html]TwinSync[/link]
Old 11-01-2007, 02:46 PM
chasrb

I was thinking about the Sierra gear too, but being that they are 2/3 the cost of the kit.. Don't get me wrong I am all for the best, cost is not the issue here it's its relevence to the cost of the kit and the gear we got was not even up to Robart standards. I have a set of Gene Barton Racing retracts for my Lancair IV so I know what quality is.

Having vented a bit... are the Sierras really worth it, if so I'm in.

VK How about using the TWINSYNC product? Glad to see you are having so much fun flying the TC. Man I need to carve some time to finish mine ...Maybe next spring I'll be flying it!
Old 11-01-2007, 06:28 PM
n9331v

Vkerster

Since your flying your T-Cat how are your new retracts with the brass bushings doing. Do you feel they will hold up to 100-200 flights. Any play etc ?
Old 11-01-2007, 07:25 PM
VKerster

CHASRB, TWINSYNC? PAGE CAN'T BE DISPLAYED ON THE COMPUTER FOR SOME REASON.(WHAT IS IT?) GOT THE G-26'S 95% SINKED. GOING TO TRY TO FLY SAT.( DAYLIGHT IS GOING AWAY ). THE G-26'S SOUND VERY ANGRY AT FULL MARCH WITH THE ELECTRONIC SINKING....FINALLY. I'M SALIVATING
Old 11-01-2007, 07:28 PM
VKerster

N933IV, THE BLUE GEAR SEEM TO BE HOLDING THEIR OWN,(ONLY 2 FLIGHTS ON THEM) 100 TO 200 FLIGHTS OUT OF THEM? AT THIS POINT I CAN'T TELL. A LITTLE WIGGLE, BUT NOTHING LIKE THE SILVER UNITS WITH THE NYLON BUSHINGS. HOPEFULLY WILL LOG SOME FLYING SAT.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:52 PM
chasrb

[link]http://www.rcshowcase.com/html/accessories/twinsync.html[/link]

What could be better than the sound of a well tuned engine running?--- Two engines running in SYNC!

The TwinSync Synchronizer allows twin engine airplanes to keep the engines running at the same RPM and produce that unique sound when engines are synchronized in flight. The TwinSync does NOT operate on the Master/Slave principal and has a very fast reaction time to engine speed changes--commanded or otherwise--NO lag in maintaing sync.

Engine RPM information is supplied by easily installed Hall Effect Sensors.

The TwinSync has a unique safety feature that brings the running engine immediately to idle in the event that one engine stops with no change in throttle stick.

This feature prevents loss of control when one engine stops while flying the model. The pilot can regain control of the idling engine by simply moving the throttle stick to idle. Control is then returned to the throttle stick and the pilot has full control.

The TwinSync has another safety feature to kill both engines if the loss of transmitter signal is detected on a FM radio system. This feature operates similar to how PCM transmitters and receivers operate. If a PCM radio is used with the TwinSync it will operate as normal and the TwinSync has no impact on PCM failsafe operation.

The TwinSync has several additional modes of operation adding capabilities beyond just keeping the engines synchronized. These modes are detailed in the TwinSync manual.

Here is the link, show'd up for me.

VK how about an audio of the engines running in sync?
Old 11-01-2007, 08:53 PM
duber3

ORIGINAL: VKerster

CHASRB, TWINSYNC? PAGE CAN'T BE DISPLAYED ON THE COMPUTER FOR SOME REASON.(WHAT IS IT?) GOT THE G-26'S 95% SINKED. GOING TO TRY TO FLY SAT.( DAYLIGHT IS GOING AWAY ). THE G-26'S SOUND VERY ANGRY AT FULL MARCH WITH THE ELECTRONIC SINKING....FINALLY. I'M SALIVATING
[link=http://www.rcshowcase.com/images/PDF/Twinsync%20Story.pdf]review[/link] of twinsync from there web site

What could be better than the sound of a well tuned engine running?--- Two engines running in SYNC!

The TwinSync Synchronizer allows twin engine airplanes to keep the engines running at the same RPM and produce that unique sound when engines are synchronized in flight. The TwinSync does NOT operate on the Master/Slave principal and has a very fast reaction time to engine speed changes--commanded or otherwise--NO lag in maintaing sync.

Engine RPM information is supplied by easily installed Hall Effect Sensors.

The TwinSync has a unique safety feature that brings the running engine immediately to idle in the event that one engine stops with no change in throttle stick.

This feature prevents loss of control when one engine stops while flying the model. The pilot can regain control of the idling engine by simply moving the throttle stick to idle. Control is then returned to the throttle stick and the pilot has full control.

The TwinSync has another safety feature to kill both engines if the loss of transmitter signal is detected on a FM radio system. This feature operates similar to how PCM transmitters and receivers operate. If a PCM radio is used with the TwinSync it will operate as normal and the TwinSync has no impact on PCM failsafe operation.

The TwinSync has several additional modes of operation adding capabilities beyond just keeping the engines synchronized. These modes are detailed in the TwinSync manual.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24715.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	795038  
Old 11-03-2007, 12:30 AM
CrocEnd

WELL now I am really CHEESED off.Got the 26 EI's now there carb mount block is different to the 20's . The 26 block's are near 90deg., out to make a straight run to or for throttle linkage,
IT SUX'S
VKerster did your mag 26's have straight carby runs for push rods or is there a mod.I saw in a early pic of your's know worries.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:50 AM
CrocEnd

Just went onto Zenoah site and the carby block is dead set rightin there pic. NOT on BOTH mine.
LHS watch out next week.Will put up pic of mine later.
Grrrrrrrrr,Sap...... CrocEnd.
Old 11-03-2007, 01:10 AM
CrocEnd

Here's the pic of the intake block's

Name:	Sq48306.jpg
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	795774  
Old 11-03-2007, 01:27 AM
CrocEnd

More with carby's on

Name:	Da83172.jpg
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	795775   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85529.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	795776   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq36909.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	795777  
Old 11-05-2007, 04:06 AM
CrocEnd

BLANK
Have figered it out for the linkage but still cheeses me off.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:32 PM
VKerster

WELL GUYS, DISASTER STRUCK SAT. LOST AN ENGINE AND DIDN'T REALIZE ANY THING WAS WRONG UNTIL THE DEATH SNAP ROLL, GOT IT OUT TO STRAIGHT AND LEVEL BUT THEN HIT AN OAK TREE, (NOT ENOUGH ALTITUDE) BLEW THRU IT, THEN HIT THE GROUND. THE ENGINES WERE SINKED UP REAL NICE. FROM THE VID, IT APPEARS THE RIGHT ENGINE QUIT, HAVE NO CLUE WHY. GENTLEMEN DON'T EVER PUT UP YOUR BIRD UNTIL YOU ARE 110% SURE THE ENGINES ARE CORRECT. THE UGLY PICS TELL THE REST OF THE STORY..........[:@]

Name:	Mj24686.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	798234   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40056.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	798235   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd82605.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	798236   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vp38338.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	798237  
Old 11-06-2007, 01:59 PM
chasrb

Oh man. I am really feeling the pain with you on that. VK really, really sorry to hear you lost your TC. Yoyu had done a real nice job on getting it completed and filling the rest of us in on how you did it.

Still, there are more kits if not a KMP maybe one of the higer end mfg will have a TC to put together.

I worry about the engines as well, that is why I choose radials, I figure I can lose a cyl or two and still fly (somewhat)...

Let me knnow if you still need help getting the videos up on the site or when you get around to posting them on it.

Feel for you brother...
Old 11-06-2007, 02:22 PM
n9331v

Vkerster

Very sorry to read your bad news, I lost a B25 a while back using G20's for power, just after take off 50ft my right engine surged then died, I managed to get it around the pattern on one but came up short on final due to such low altitude and high winds. I did salvage many parts and built another and I am glad I did because B25's are great flyers just like this one should be. It would be nice to see you build another because you did such a great job on the first TC.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:46 PM
orcrest

Vkerster

Bad luck mate!! Sorry to hear it but I guess that's the nature of the hobby, sometimes gravity will get you[].

I apologise if this comes across as insensitive at a sad time as this but there may be something positive to come out of it. I'm assuming that your TC was out of the first batch and by the look of the pics I guess you won't be able to rebuild it. Do you think it would be possible to do some deconstruction of the remains so that those who are concerned about the build/glue quality, or those who are considering some modifications, can get a real good look at the underlying structure?
For example, if someone wanted to make the outer wing sections removeable it would be handy to see what was under the skin, perhaps you might be able to remove the underside wingskin alltogether and leave the ribs and internal structure attached to the topside and get a few pics. It would be so easy to see where to cut etc before hacking into it.

I too feel your pain but if you can do a post-mortem I think you would be doing a great service for a lot of other modellers.

Da Orc
Old 11-06-2007, 05:39 PM
chasrb

VK, now that I see your TC remains, I wanted to clarify the retract question. When you spoke of the blue vs. silver were did you mean the retract mechinisims themselves or the oleo legs? I ask because my retract actuators are silver.

It also looks like the center section was stonger than I thought too.

Really feel for ya...
Old 11-06-2007, 07:03 PM
Pylon2

Very sorry to hear your bad news. I lost my B25 due to engine failure!! Surprised a Zenoah stopped though. I am afraid its the third dimension of our hobby, and I guess thats why we love it!! I have built another B25 so you should build another T.C? Once again very sorry. Richard.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:24 PM
n9331v

Another least expensive solution to the questionable retracts would be Spring Air 400 retracts at only $300.00. The original supplied retracts to me are poor for this weight aircraft even my blue ones. The struts seem ok but the steel wire supplied with them will probably bend over time or one hard landing. By using the Spring Air retracts you can remove the steel wire from the strut and mount the end of the strut into the retract, this would make them very strong. The 400 series are rated for 25 - 30 lb, very solid retracts.

I emailed Robart today and they said As for the KMP F7F Tigercat Retracts, we are in the process of assembling them. No price has been determined.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:15 AM
warbird51
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So sorry to hear of your loss. I've been thinking of making mine electric and this makes me lean more to that conversion.

Old 11-07-2007, 03:25 AM
CrocEnd

Cheesed right off now
Oh those poor 26's
Sorry for yah!
CrocEnd
Old 11-07-2007, 06:39 AM
JetAir

Hello,
i'm from Malaysia. new in the forum. currently having a pair 100 saito engines.
just ordered the ESM f7f tigercat. still waiting for the shipment from singapore, so haven't see the real yet.
is the landing gear door included? or just leave it open for air pump retrack gear?
any mind to share some original photo of the landing gear? thanks for reading.

Regards,
SUNNY.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:38 AM
chasrb

JetAir please go back thru this forum and you'll find that information and more to answer questions you have yet to ask... I go back and reread all the time...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.