Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 12:19 PM
evdreamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: are these blades any good for cp pro?

This motor is a huge improvement over the stock one. I just got done with a test flight and it holds pretty good with the stock gyro. I am going to get a short video of it, then I will put the G90 on with the 3in1 and see how it goes. Glenn it does sound kind of like a bee. The only thing keeping me from pushing the CPP is the Hiller setup. There is no way I could do anything other than do slow flying with the Hiller, but I got some bearings for my Bell Hiller setup so I will put that on once I get everything tested out and make sure it is working.

Nick
Old 08-06-2008, 02:27 PM
evdreamer

Here is my second step with the G90 and 3in1. The tail motor gets pretty hot. I did a 3 minute hover and it got up to 110 degrees. When I was waiting for a battery to charge I made an adapter for a JST to a Deans connector. Now I can charge my CPP batteries on my Accu-Cycle charger.

Here is a video of the CPP with the DD motor and the 3in1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxCpPxzRmW0

Nick
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67787.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	1005589   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63746.jpg
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	1005590  
Old 08-06-2008, 03:28 PM
evdreamer

The CPP rocks with a gyro and the GWS DD motor. At first I forgot to activate the remote gain on the transmitter and the tail still was rock solid. I have the gain up to 100% and I only have a little wag when I add rudder. The motor pulses, but not as bad as with a GY240 and GY401 on it. But it is a good pulse that works really good. I think it is time for the Bell Hiller and brushless. After my last run my motors got up to 130 degrees.

Nick
Old 08-06-2008, 03:47 PM
HeliStyle
My Feedback: (2)

wow that looks pretty good with the gws motor and stock 3 and 1, im going to find somewhere to pick one up because apparently they are sold out where rotarydoc got his
Old 08-06-2008, 03:49 PM
HeliStyle

I wonder what the life of the gws motor will be
Old 08-06-2008, 03:58 PM
HeliStyle

o yeah rotarydoc and evdreamer where did you buy your dd setup anyways, the one i found is here and it doesnt look like any of yours [link=http://www.eboyztoyz.net/index.php?op=showitem&sku=8605]gws setup[/link]
Old 08-06-2008, 03:59 PM
rotarydoc

Nick,

Looks awesome! I think that vid of the hovering looks about as good as mine did on the first night (and mine already had the gyro).

Sounds like yours is doing as well as mine did on the first night. I don't know what happened last night, but I will have to look into it. I may not have the gyro as high as it should be, I'm at either (can't remember) 60% or 70%....maybe I need to go a little higher, even to 100%...we'll see.

I am wondering if my motor sustained any damage from the hard landing the first outing. I was reading an article awhile back about Kyle Stacy and his CPP and his dad said that he liked the GWS motors, and when asked how they held up, he mentioned that if the motor takes a hit, it's pretty much over with for that motor.

Mine just didn't seem the same the second night as it did the first. It had some tendancy to not respond as well to the rudder inputs. It could have been the wind too, so I'll have to give it another shot when the wind is calm.

Looks like you are getting yours really well setup...keep us posted!

I just hope these motors aren't as short lived as the stock motors are...

Glenn
Old 08-06-2008, 04:07 PM
evdreamer

Helistyle,

I am keeping track of my flights with the new motor to see how long it lasts. That is the exact one I got and I think Glenn got the same one. I am just using the stock gear box instead of the one supplied in the kit.

Glenn,

Yeah I started around 60-70% and it acted like the stock motor then I moved it in the 90% range and it started to hold really good. I am in the process of putting the Bell Hiller back on and my spindle was bent. It is kind of cool the helicopter was still able to fly with a bent spindle. I have been noticing a weird vibration for a while, but the grips still moved very easily and the blades were tracking. So I am going to run to the LHS to pick up another spindle. I learned some new tricks to put in and take out the bearings in the grips.

That is interesting about the motor in a crash.

I will be back soon.

Nick
Old 08-06-2008, 04:13 PM
rotarydoc

Heli,

Yeah, that is the one, and the same place that I got mine from. They have good service.

They were just out of stock on them, they must have gotten some more in.

If you get the kit, you should get an extra pack of tail blades too, they are only like $3.69 for six...you will probably need them, as I already broke one of mine. They give you two to start out with. I just ordered a set of blades for mine.

Have fun...

Glenn
Old 08-06-2008, 05:47 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

I just got done setting up the Bell Hiller setup. Once I started to look at the servos they where way off from where they should be at center stick. Any ways I fixed all of that. But I can't get 0 degrees of pitch at half stick. I have the adjustable links tighten all the way they can go and I still get +3 degrees of pitch and the swash is centered because it goes up and down the same distance. I could put an extra set up adjustable links in the place of the non adjustable ones and get it to zero, but it doesn't matter since I won't go inverted for a long time with the CPP.

Have fun if you go flying today.

Nick
Old 08-06-2008, 06:17 PM
rotarydoc

Nick,

I had EXACTLY the same issue when I set my CPP up over the weekend.

I also could not get zero pitch at half stick, was positive about 3 degrees, just as you described.

Since I still had about +12 to -12, I just decided not to worry about it.

Funny that we had the exact same issue.

Right, I am not planning on any inverted flight either, at least not intentionally!

It is very windy here tonight, I doubt I'll get a chance to fly any helicopters until at least tomorrow.

Let us know how your project is progressing...

Glenn
Old 08-06-2008, 06:49 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

I just got back from a flight and all I can say is WOW. It flies a lot like my T-Rex except for the cyclic response. But there are things I can do to that. I was doing my backward figure 8's and the tail was holding great. The Bell Hiller is so much better than the Hiller. For a beginner the Hiller would be great, but it is boring for me. I need more power, but I don't know where to put the brushless ESC because it is kind of crowded under the canopy. It sounds like the headspeed is really slow compared to the T-Rex. Usually the smaller the helicopter the faster the head speed is. I think my CPP is just as stable as my T-Rex.

That is kind of cool we both had the same problem. In the past I did put some adjustable links in place of the non adjustable ones, but it didn't work too well. I think it was probably because both links weren't the same length.

Right now the weather has been perfect. I am glad it isn't as hot as it was.

Once the motors cool down I will shoot a video of the CPP. Then it will probably take a few hours to upload it.

Nick

Old 08-06-2008, 07:59 PM
rotarydoc

Nick,

I just wrote you a long message and lost it. I'll write later. That really pisses me off when that happens.

Glenn
Old 08-06-2008, 07:59 PM
HeliStyle

are you running it stock with the new tail motor?
Old 08-06-2008, 08:17 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

Sorry to hear about the post.

Helistyle,

The first video I made was stock with the GWS DD motor and Hiller grips. Then the video I am uploading right now had the Bell Hiller grips, the G90 gyro, and the GWS DD motor. And right now I am thinking how to mount the electronics for the Brushless set up. I used it before with the stock tail motor, but it had too much power for the tail motor to keep up. But I am confident enough that this GWS motor has enough power to keep up. But I guess I will find out once I fly it. It is starting to get dark, so I won't be able to shoot another video today with the brushless setup but maybe tomorrow. In this video I am uploading I couldn't even hear it going into Idle up mode. I started out with a 0, 50, 100 throttle curve and went into a 100, 90, 100 throttle curve and it didn't even sound like the motor was going any faster.

Nick
Old 08-06-2008, 08:19 PM
HeliStyle

running the new tail motor without the g90, do you think its worth the money?
Old 08-06-2008, 08:41 PM
rotarydoc

Nick,

I am going to keep this one short. The wind died down, so I went to fly the CPP. Once I spooled it up, I realized something was wrong. The tail rotor was bent from a minor crash last night. I tried to straighten it, and put it back on. When I spooled it back up, the tail rotor TOOK OFF, and where it landed, I have no idea...LOL

I have new ones coming tomorrow, or more likely, Friday. So the CPP is grounded for now.

Heli,

If you get the DD tail, be sure to get an extra pack of blades...LOL

Glenn
Old 08-06-2008, 08:45 PM
rotarydoc

Nick,

When I gave up on the CPP, I had the B400 with me, so I went to fly it. As I was getting setup, I see the security guy coming. He pulls up, a nice older guy, and asked me how much it cost. I told him...and he said that it was an expensive toy...I politely suggested that it is more of a hobby than a toy. I then proceded to show him how my "toy" flies...LOL

He stuck around for a few minutes and watched, then drove off. I guess I am OK there, at least as long as it's him in the truck!

I'll be looking for the video on the CPP soon...

Glenn
Old 08-06-2008, 08:57 PM
evdreamer

ORIGINAL: HeliStyle

running the new tail motor without the g90, do you think its worth the money?
Depends on the type of flying you plan to do. For normal flying it is fine by itself, but I want to start flying it like my T-Rex and I need that gyro.

Glenn,

Sorry to hear your CPP is grounded. I never could imagine having this much fun with the CPP. I am glad I didn't give up and you guys put the idea back in my head.

Cool to hear it is ok for you to fly there.

I have no idea when my video was done, but I just hit upload and do something else. But here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wMxDHzsJvk

Nick
Old 08-06-2008, 09:25 PM
evdreamer

Here is how I am going to put the electronics right now. I put the canopy on and it barely fits with the ESC. I spooled it up and it sounds great. I need to clean up the wires, but I got a lot done today so I will just take a break.

Nick

Name:	Jh15069.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	1005799   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71597.jpg
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	1005800   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70949.jpg
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	1005801  
Old 08-06-2008, 10:39 PM
evdreamer

Well I decided to finish the wiring and go fly at night. It was a lot of fun. I turned on a flood light and was just going off of the light on the receiver and gyro. There was absolutely no wind. I had a hard time getting a good gear mesh, so I kind of ruined the main gear but it will still work. And the motor and battery got up to 150 degrees, so there was a lot of drag. The GWS motor was able to keep up with the motor until I jumped to full throttle. Then it will kick out. So if I just give smooth throttle adjustments I should be good.

Nick
Old 08-06-2008, 10:40 PM
rotarydoc

Nick,

The video is very interesting...you can really hear the tail motor screaming on your CPP, I don't know that mine was that loud! I will have to see how it is when I try it with the gyro cranked up some more.

It looks like your CPP is much more stable than mine is altitude-wise. I am having a hard time keeping mine at a steady altitude. I may need to work on the pitch and throttle curves some as well.

The video looks like it's really flyable! I am glad to see that it is working out so well for you...and glad we helped put the idea in your head again.

I'll have to see how I can do with mine again. The first night, it was truely amazing, I really did forget that I was flying a CPP there for a while!

Looks like you are going to end up mounting your gyro where I did, behind the rear servos...there is a nice little mounting pad there for it.

Good luck when you go with the new ESC setup!

Thanks for taking the time with the pics and videos to document everything for us...

Glenn
Old 08-06-2008, 10:55 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

It might be that loud because the rotor is spinning down away from the main blades and yours is spinning up into it. I might have to put the GWS tail mount on, so I can have it spin up into the main rotor.

Was it windy when you were test flying it? It was really calm today.

Yeah this is a nice helicopter with this motor on it.

Yeah I had to move the gyro back there because there was no room under the canopy. Right now I have a hard time putting the canopy on now with all the electronics. I really like the 450 sized helicopters because there is so much space too put stuff and it is hard to find room on the CPP.

Your welcome about posting the pics and videos. I had a good time doing it.

Tomorrow I am going to try and work this gear mesh thing out and get some more test flights on it. Then do another video with the brushless set up. I like seeing the difference between all of them. The blades spin a lot longer with the brushless motor by hand than with the stock motor. Then after I fly it enough I will try the brushed ESC and see if a GY240 will work with it.

Nick
Old 08-06-2008, 11:08 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

When I was taking a closer look there is a lot of plastic shavings all over the helicopter from the main gear. It looks like the tips are chewed up, so the gear mesh was too loose. It seemed like I could only get super tight or loose, but nothing in between. When I did the paper techinque I didn't get any backlash, so I thought it was too tight. The main gear was louder than the tail motor was. It was an interesting flight.

Nick

Name:	Yw66871.jpg
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	1005838   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21788.jpg
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	1005839   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49445.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	1005840   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23458.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	1005841  
Old 08-07-2008, 02:40 PM
rotarydoc

Nick,

Yep, looks like the mesh was definitely too loose. I have never seen that happen, but I do know what you are saying about adjusting the mesh/backlash, it seems as though the motor is hard to get it where you want it, it's like a trial and error thing.

I can imagine it's getting crowded under the canopy as well...I can see from the pics that you are running out of room for stuff.

I don't think my tail blades will be arriving today, so with any luck, and low wind, I would like to fly the Gaui tonight, since it's been a little while since I have flown it. If not, I'll probably fly the B400, since it's not so sensitive to the wind.

Good luck with the new main gear and backlash/mesh setup.

Glenn

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.