Community
Search
Notices
Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

BIG LAMA

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 08:56 AM
sgbfly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BIG LAMA

Edmund, thats a great looking hanger! My mate let me maiden his Belt CP V2 today. Really enjoyed having a go. Thankfully I gave it back to him in one piece!

SImon
Old 06-05-2010, 08:57 AM
rikybob

ORIGINAL: pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: rikybob
All!
Great milestone for me! I have had a lot of trepidation about 360's as they have cost me about 150bux collectivley![:@]
You are witness to my having done it (yah, I know back in 2008) in my vids!
Today, a few minutes ago I conducted my [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wud0FHSDxNk]first Pirouettes[/link]! Hooooo T Phreakin' Hoooooo! [sm=wink_smile.gif]
Annnnnnd I got it on film![sm=regular_smile.gif]
Enjoy my snappy SNAPPY REPARTEE and great film production!!![sm=lol.gif]
(Pinkey)[sm=biggrin.gif]
Ps Mike, your reckless abandon is secondary only to.........ahhhhh you know who I am talkin' about!
Pss Peter, hbk2flyer's video's are REALLY, REALLY good and funny!
Hey again Pinkey aka Brian,

Really good stuff mate
Do your hands shake when you put down the Tx after successfully trying something new.......[sm=teeth_smile.gif]
That stick time really has made a diff to your confidence levels mate!!
[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wYmX8bL-EE&NR=1]HERE[/link] is another flier who has bound his SR back to the stock Tx and if performing slow piros to show how stable the hover has been made on the stock bird by the added EXPO settings on the Tx. Note: He is an experienced flier. After his first attempt he raises the tail a little using the forward cyclic and his piros are a lot better!

Peter[sm=shades_smile.gif]
P.S. Mike, I haven't had time to view your latest videos as yet - but time soon I promise![sm=49_49.gif]

Hi again Peter,

Yes my hands shake, but not as bad as previous times. I come from a (violins please) background and it makes it haaaarrrddd to tolerate a crash because of the expense of rebuilding and being without a bird. Probably one of the hardest things to get over, for me, is crashing! It would bum me out for days and if I could not put the bird back together, I would not be satisified until done!

I am over that now!

I recall flying my Thunder Chicken before its crash thinking, it's going to make a neat sound when it finally hits the dirt.[:@] I swear it was 8 minutes later when my left alerion servo died and it did just that.[:'(] I did the post mortum and ordered a bunch of necessary parts (some unnessary) and rebuilt same and flew it this morning.

The I HEART Heli Guy put it right when he said flying is fun but the "art" of being a mechanic and the fellowship of flying helis is where it's at. He is right!

I was shocked this morning after having replaced the main shaft, spindle, flybar, bad servo (and for fun CF Blades and paddles) that the little son of a gun lifted right off!

Best to all!

Brian
Old 06-05-2010, 09:16 AM
rikybob

Hello fellow Helimaniacs!,
I have to work the PM shift today so I slipped outside in the wind to fly the Blade SR (the BOL looked on, forelorn) and got a little tape.
I am becoming more daring and am slowly doing 360's (3min 52sec punctuated by ''sweet'')! [link=http://www.youtube.com/user/b4566bb#p/u/6/1n4ldnqR3_U]Enjoy my usual completly ''in frame'' production and commentary![/link]!
Best to all!
B-r-i-a-n
PS....for all you that miss spell my name as ''Brain'', I really appreciate the ironey. Now go back and correct!
Hey again Brian,

I hope that I am not guilty of this misnomer
Finally, you got rid of those shorts (do I sounds like your wife?) I just hope that you are not walking your SR around the neighbourhood picking boogers out of your nose and SHORT-LESS[X(][sm=confused_smile.gif] ROFLOL

May I make a CP learning suggestion[sm=red_smile.gif] (or is this too much considering that I haven't flown a CP for two years???? - if it is just disregard) This [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=D6AWyXxq6EE&feature=related]VIDEO - Flight School #6[/link] (at 2'05) probably explains it the best way - Richard refers to it as 'an advanced' ''lazy-8''. It is a smooth left/pause/right/pause action that keeps your bird tail in at different angles while keeping your CP in front of you and beside you - see why I leave the explainations to video?? My explainations are cr@p - but I know what I am trying to say[&:].........LOL

All jokes aside it is great to see that you are getting so much stick time - as I can't seem to get any (real stick time[sm=wink_smile.gif]) - and have to stay indoors and fly with [link=http://www.rcflightsim.com/]Clearview[/link].

Hi Peter,

I miss my shorts

I was picking boogers however while whatching Richard (I have redundant shorts that are only nearly as bad as the ones I trashed!) and recall that episode. I will rewatch same and see if I can more clearly get it. He is great!

Sorry you aren't getting stick time. I really haven't got into Clearview much as I tend to like the "real thing". I see it will be useful for bad weather and developing mad skills such as loops, rolls, funnels and anything 3D!

Thanx for your great advice as always!

Brian
Old 06-05-2010, 09:37 AM
rikybob

ORIGINAL: Sky Soldier

Hi Ya'll,
Hate to cut short the Shorts, but I need to do a little BOL bidness here. Look at the pics below , and please tell me your ideas on how to mount the running gear in the fuselage. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.
Calm winds,
Hey again Jerry,

My suggestion is to design a kind of ''mezzanine'' level out of aluminium that can slide forwards a few inches (taking the BOL frame with it) and then the BOL frame slides a few inches more on top of this. This whole system would allow the frame to stick out enough to make adjustments to the linkages etc and when completed - it could ''two-part'' slide back in again and the front on the fuselage reattached.
One other thing - get [link=http://super-skids.com/]super-skids[/link] (and maybe even an adapter 450) - that existing skid set-up looks like it would collapse after a couple of hard landings.......

Hey Peter,

Thanks for the thoughts, Mate. I believe I understand your thoughts exactly and very good thoughts they are. You are spot on about the skids. They’re gonna have to be replaced.

While waiting for Dave to reply to my PM, I’ve been reviewing the pics he posted on page 201 and the pics on the Helidirect website.http://www.helidirect.com/fusuno-250...ry-p-11541.hdx What I over-looked on the website pics, perhaps because of the red color, was the large zip ties holding the BOL down on the platform. If there are tapered studs screwed into the BOL battery frame that mate up with slighty smaller holes drilled into the platform and held in place by the zip ties, that may be the simplest and lightest option. With this option, I think a spreader bar will be needed to keep the zip tie tension from distorting the BOL frame and main gears.

Anyway, Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Hope your weather gets to your likin soon.

Calm winds and Clear sky
Jerry

ps. Thanks for the numbers Spiros! Maybe my scale will arrive today

Hi all!

(Danger, waxing philosohic ahead!)

I was listening to a talk radio show some time back when the presenter presented the idea of asking the audience what they thought were milestones of modern man?[8D]

Callers called in with Nuclear power, the Salk vaccine, aircraft etc.[&:]

One caller called in and stated that the modern marvels that he thought were the most important were as follows:

A three inch drywall screw and a zip tie! He said "Hell, their ain't nuthin that you can't do with a three inch drywall screw and a zip tie!" It was awesome!

I am a HUGE fan of [link=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam's_razor]Occum's Razor [/link] and as much as I love to over analyze and over engineer, I find that the simplest solution, as unelegant as it may seem, is often the best!

Make it so Jerry!

Brian

PS you may return to your previously uninterrupted channel!
Old 06-05-2010, 09:39 AM
rikybob

ORIGINAL: Edmund2

Hi there all. Cooked a few inside and small garden as it is too windy for BOL. Fired up both CP's for a few hops as well. Then went to get another fuse for stock BOL after it's nose job left it a bit short and they had only a red one. Well it flies the same just don't look the same.

Catch you in the morrow as I have another hour of flying left before wifey gets home and I see it about only Peter not on line as he is sleeping by now.

Here then the new look hanger as the CP2CX had it's fuse trimmed as well.

Edmund2
Edmund!

That is a lovely fleet! But alas, I am going to tell you 'ole lady on you!

Sorry, I am just a little EVIL![sm=bananahead.gif]

Brian
Old 06-05-2010, 09:42 AM
rikybob

ORIGINAL: sgbfly

Edmund, thats a great looking hanger! My mate let me maiden his Belt CP V2 today. Really enjoyed having a go. Thankfully I gave it back to him in one piece!

SImon [img][/img]
Danger, nearing post limit!

Simon,

I would have been NERVOUS!

He must be a close friend!

Further, he must have seen your videos and great flying prowess!

Glad it was uneventful!

Brian
Old 06-05-2010, 09:43 AM
kiwigeoff

Hi Brian,

I think there will be a lot of people interested in how the $14 Hobbyking gyro performs in a boardless BOL. The problem many will have with this gyro is that its remote gain only (so no good for a 4 channel transmitter). With this rx & your dx6i you should be laughing.

This mixer is the final piece in the jigsaw.

Simon

I have been offered a DX6i for a price of a few beers. Can this bind with the standard 2.4Ghz 6 Channel Esky 001367 (EK2-0426) or will I have to buy thethisas mentioned by Simon? A search of all the Esky threads here seems to indicated Spiros & Peter had information it would bind, but I could not find conculsive links or information.

Geoff
<br type="_moz" />
Old 06-05-2010, 09:55 AM
rikybob

ORIGINAL: kiwigeoff

Hi Brian,

I think there will be a lot of people interested in how the $14 Hobbyking gyro performs in a boardless BOL. The problem many will have with this gyro is that its remote gain only (so no good for a 4 channel transmitter). With this rx & your dx6i you should be laughing.

Simon [img][/img]

I have been offered a DX6i for a price of a few beers. Can this bind with the standard 2.4Ghz 6 Channel Esky 001367 (EK2-0426) or will I have to buy the this as mentioned by Simon? A search of all the Esky threads here seems to indicated Spiros & Peter had information it would bind, but I could not find conculsive links or information.

Geoff
<br type=''_moz'' />
Hi Geoff!

Get it now!

I too have never been conclusively told no but all points to NO! Same frequency.........different technology!

I don't want to end up like Peter (tongue in cheek) in that I only want one Tx! Peter has, at last count 135 Tx! I am willing to part with, what I think is about 40 bux to mod my BOL (it is a brushless RC711 model) to keep me down to one TX aaaaannnnddd a smoother bird!

My 2p!

Brian
Old 06-05-2010, 10:37 AM
Buz

I don't think mine is ever going to get here!~ Wow, yours weighs 2.64 ounces more than mine. Zip ties, eh? Boy, I hope that's the way it installs. I have hundreds of zip ties. The most weight I've carried with the BOL is the weight of a 9 volt battery and 5 or 6 strobe lights. It was struggling to fly with stock blades. I think Spiros (Peter?)... well whoever said it may be right... we're going to need to use full length 400 blades. I see your fuselage is longer than mine also.... should be interesting to see how they work out. Post your progress so I can copy it. LOL

Buzz

Hey Buzz,

Only the 4 little screws came with the kit, even though 2 more longer ones are needed to attach the stabilizer fin and tail planes on the tail. The single sheet of 5x8 inch paper, that has a few pics on both sides and serves as instructions, seem to show those 4 screws going into the top of the landing gear pegs as they are slotted into the platform. While the plastic struts seem sturdy, I don’t think they’ll take many hard landings and will need to be replaced, as Peter suggested, with Super Skids or something similar.

I really didn’t pay attention to the weight when I ordered it. The specs show this one @ 5.64 oz or 160g. My gram scales should arrive any day now, so I can’t confirm that weight yet. However, I don’t think it should be that much of a problem as one of the guys over on rcgroups (I think it was Lee) proved that the BOL can lift an object equal to it own weight.

The overall length of this one is 16.73 in or 425 mm.

I hope you have lots of fun stuffing the innards into your new fuselage.

I’ll be happy with mine if it’ll just tool around on scale flight provoking nostalgic memories and if it has any extra weight capacity, perhaps take aloft a G.I. Joe Paratrooper.

Calm winds and Cool flying,
Jerry

ps. Of course the G.I. Joe will have to wear the unit patch of the 173rd Airborne Brigade whose official unit nic-name is Sky Soldier's, unofficial nic: The Herd.

Old 06-05-2010, 11:10 AM
aircrash

I have been offered a DX6i for a price of a few beers. Can this bind with the standard 2.4Ghz 6 Channel Esky 001367 (EK2-0426) or will I have to buy thethisas mentioned by Simon?
Hi Geoff,

No, it will not bind to the esky Rx.
You must get a spectrum or compatible receiver.

Spiros

Old 06-05-2010, 11:25 AM
aircrash

As for me, Ihave already three esky Tx, all 2.4ghz, one Tx runs all the BOL`s and the other are used as a "spare" one.
I`m happy with it, it needs only 4 batteries, they last long, it offers a long distance radio control, and more enough it did not cost me more than the BOL.
If one radio goes off in case I drop it or something I`ll have the other two. If one Rx goes off by a crash I`ll have the other.
As for the control I don`t think it needs any more than the stock radio.

So for me the "better" radio is only to the feeling you own a "better" radio. At least when your fleet is full of BOL`s.
It`s a different story when you own a CP bird though. Where you do need programmable items.

As for the memory.
If you have only BOL`s then you can make them fly with the trim at the center. So all BOL`s you have do not need any trimming adjustment through the Tx.

I hope Ican get another BOL, so I`ll have four of them now. This makes it 4x Tx and 4x Rx...

Old 06-05-2010, 12:00 PM
Sky Soldier

Hi Ya'll,
Hate to cut short the Shorts, but I need to do a little BOL bidness here. Look at the pics below , and please tell me your ideas on how to mount the running gear in the fuselage. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.
Calm winds,
Hey again Jerry,

My suggestion is to design a kind of ''mezzanine'' level out of aluminium that can slide forwards a few inches (taking the BOL frame with it) and then the BOL frame slides a few inches more on top of this. This whole system would allow the frame to stick out enough to make adjustments to the linkages etc and when completed - it could ''two-part'' slide back in again and the front on the fuselage reattached.
One other thing - get [link=http://super-skids.com/]super-skids[/link] (and maybe even an adapter 450) - that existing skid set-up looks like it would collapse after a couple of hard landings.......

Hey Peter,

Thanks for the thoughts, Mate. I believe I understand your thoughts exactly and very good thoughts they are. You are spot on about the skids. They&rsquo;re gonna have to be replaced.

While waiting for Dave to reply to my PM, I&rsquo;ve been reviewing the pics he posted on page 201 and the pics on the Helidirect website.http://www.helidirect.com/fusuno-250...ry-p-11541.hdx What I over-looked on the website pics, perhaps because of the red color, was the large zip ties holding the BOL down on the platform. If there are tapered studs screwed into the BOL battery frame that mate up with slighty smaller holes drilled into the platform and held in place by the zip ties, that may be the simplest and lightest option. With this option, I think a spreader bar will be needed to keep the zip tie tension from distorting the BOL frame and main gears.

Hope your weather gets to your likin soon.

Calm winds and Clear sky
Jerry

ps. Thanks for the numbers Spiros! Maybe my scale will arrive today

Hi all!

(Danger, waxing philosohic ahead!)

I was listening to a talk radio show some time back when the presenter presented the idea of asking the audience what they thought were milestones of modern man?[8D]

Callers called in with Nuclear power, the Salk vaccine, aircraft etc.[&amp;:]

One caller called in and stated that the modern marvels that he thought were the most important were as follows:

A three inch drywall screw and a zip tie! He said "Hell, their ain't nuthin that you can't do with a three inch drywall screw and a zip tie!" It was awesome!

I am a HUGE fan of [link=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam's_razor]Occum's Razor [/link] and as much as I love to over analyze and over engineer, I find that the simplest solution, as unelegant as it may seem, is often the best!

Make it so Jerry!

Brian

PS you may return to your previously uninterrupted channel!
Aye, Aye, Captain Hero! Mr. Zulu, take us to warp speed smartly or I'll see yer nekked butt sliding down Occum's Rusty Razor!!

Ya had to know something like this was coming, Brain.

Brian, I hope you have a great day!

Calm winds and Crazy crashes,
Jerry

ps. Buzz, I will keep you posted. I'm not in a rush and don't even have all the parts to finish scratch building the BOL yet.

pps. Pinky?? Oh boy, a new aka!!

Old 06-05-2010, 01:11 PM
kiwigeoff

Hi Brian,

I think there will be a lot of people interested in how the $14 Hobbyking gyro performs in a boardless BOL. The problem many will have with this gyro is that its remote gain only (so no good for a 4 channel transmitter). With this rx &amp; your dx6i you should be laughing.

Simon [img][/img]

I have been offered a DX6i for a price of a few beers. Can this bind with the standard 2.4Ghz 6 Channel Esky 001367 (EK2-0426) or will I have to buy thethisas mentioned by Simon? A search of all the Esky threads here seems to indicated Spiros &amp; Peter had information it would bind, but I could not find conculsive links or information.

Geoff
<br type="" />
Hi Geoff!

Get it now!

I too have never been conclusively told no but all points to NO! Same frequency.........different technology!

I don't want to end up like Peter (tongue in cheek) in that I only want one Tx! Peter has, at last count 135 Tx! I am willing to part with, what I think is about 40 bux to mod my BOL (it is a brushless RC711 model) to keep me down to one TX aaaaannnnddd a smoother bird!

My 2p!

Brian

Brian &amp; Spiros,

Thanks for the replies.

My rational is if I can use the DX6i I can then also upgrade the HoneyBeeKing II and get more time on that too. I have a few Esky receivers lying around ( Maximum spares akla Spiros) and could change the HBKII to 24Ghz. Like Brian I would like to reduce the amount of transmitters I need to throw into the truck. I arrived at my big flight site last week, with 2 BOL , I HKBII and one plane - only to find I had only loaded the plane transceiver Maybe I should look at the unit Simon is using? Comments Simon

Geoff

<br type="_moz" />
Old 06-05-2010, 04:07 PM
sgbfly

Hi Geoff,

I would grab the dx6i.

The Flysky 6 channel I have is good but it has no built in model memory so you would need to take a laptop to the field. I think also dx6i has more programming options. But, as discussed you will have to buy dx6i compatible receivers.

Simon
Old 06-05-2010, 04:19 PM
Buz

Hi Brian,

Simon [img][/img]

I have been offered a DX6i for a price of a few beers. Can this bind with the standard 2.4Ghz 6 Channel Esky 001367 (EK2-0426) or will I have to buy the this as mentioned by Simon? A search of all the Esky threads here seems to indicated Spiros & Peter had information it would bind, but I could not find conculsive links or information.

Geoff
<br type='''' />
Hi Geoff!

Get it now!

My 2p!

Brian

Brian & Spiros,

Thanks for the replies.

My rational is if I can use the DX6i I can then also upgrade the HoneyBeeKing II and get more time on that too. I have a few Esky receivers lying around ( Maximum spares akla Spiros) and could change the HBKII to 24Ghz. Like Brian I would like to reduce the amount of transmitters I need to throw into the truck. I arrived at my big flight site last week, with 2 BOL , I HKBII and one plane - only to find I had only loaded the plane transceiver [img][/img] Maybe I should look at the unit Simon is using? Comments Simon[img][/img]

Geoff

<br type=''_moz'' />
Before you buy a Spektrum radio.... consider the DX-7. The DX6 and DX6i will fade from the market with some pilots because they are not necessarily compatible. I see this new receiver everyone is considering has only one stub antenna for the Rx. You can get the DX-7 helicopter radio, receiver, stronger servos for larger heli's... or use your own....and if you're flying a 4 channel helicopter with it... you have TWO sets of antennae boats with two antennas each...4 antennas for a helicopter. Then you have the rest of the empty receiver sockets to put in remote lights, stabilization units, etc. There are a LOT of switches and buttons at the top of the DX7 which can be programmed to turn functions on and off also. The other reason I bought it is because it's 7 channels for $200...total package. It will also bind with any other Specktrum receiver. Best money I've spent for larger helicopters...but can also be used in a coaxial.
Old 06-05-2010, 04:32 PM
sgbfly

ORIGINAL: Ooben

Simon, hi. Getting rid of the 3in1 is what I'm looking to do....after watching how smoothly your Lama can chase Polly and Anna around the yard I would like to duplicate that performance as closely as I can. I've pretty much decided I'm going to get the CT6B and try to make it work with the less expensive parts you mentioned....I think I am a kindred spirit of Spiros....we share the same thoughts on how to budget our hobbies...
I will probably take you up on your offer with helping me program the TX, I really can't make much sense of the translation....I have downloaded the program and played with it some.....
Thanks,
Mike
Hi Mike,

Just to let you know I'm currently putting some of the components I recommended to you on my BOL that I'm rebuilding. It bench tests OK so I'm going to call it a night! I'm also building another boardless BOL that will have a slightly different setup.

Simon

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71626.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	1448309  
Old 06-05-2010, 05:00 PM
aircrash

Hi there,

My new BOL is ready!

Weighs 449g and I have done:
<ul>[*]Taped fuselage[*]leds[*]heatsinks[*]replaced ring link rod bars to the swashplate, so there is no exposed bolts.[*]xtreme extended shaft[*]xtreme bearing cup[*]glue to the antenna of the Rx[*]motor`s shafts lubricated by Wurth HSS 2000 (only a drop to the upper side, so it can`t go to the brushes)[*]adjust gear mesh and tighten the motor screws[*]replaced double sided foam tape to the Rx &amp; 3in1[*]battery tray mod -&gt; no more flexing of the frame, so gear mesh is always right / battery can be moved /skids &amp; battery holder &amp;frame is durable[/list]With all these the weight increased by 46g. The fuselage itself weighs 49g now.

Tested it with the stock blades and the battery at the stock position.
It does not fly as good as the previous one, but still is great. I`ll test it with the battery moved a bit and then with the HPblades.

I can`t wait to make it fly the same as the missing one...

Spiros
Old 06-05-2010, 05:03 PM
Buz

ORIGINAL: Ooben

Simon, hi. Getting rid of the 3in1 is what I'm looking to do....after watching how smoothly your Lama can chase Polly and Anna around the yard I would like to duplicate that performance as closely as I can. I've pretty much decided I'm going to get the CT6B and try to make it work with the less expensive parts you mentioned....I think I am a kindred spirit of Spiros....we share the same thoughts on how to budget our hobbies...[img][/img]
I will probably take you up on your offer with helping me program the TX, I really can't make much sense of the translation....I have downloaded the program and played with it some.....
Thanks,
Mike
Hi Mike,

Just to let you know I'm currently putting some of the components I recommended to you on my BOL that I'm rebuilding. It bench tests OK so I'm going to call it a night! I'm also building another boardless BOL that will have a slightly different setup.

Simon [img][/img]

OMG! I just cannot justify spending $90+ for a BOL....which flies perfectly out of the box....and then spending an equal amount to totally change it around, re engineer the entire thing.... and put in all new components. Why?
I'll never understand it. I have brushless motors in much larger helicopters.....but the Lama is nearly a throw away helicopter. By the way... I'm selling all of my BOL's as parts helicopters. If anyone is interested let me know by email please. I have two more new BOL's on the way.... I'm going to concentrate a lot more on the 450 and the Blade SR. (But, I'll always own at least one BOL)....

Old 06-05-2010, 05:18 PM
aircrash

Hi Buzz,

If you look at it only by the logical view then spending so much on a "cheap" heli is not so logical.
But the logical part is you can have so much fun that money cannot buy.
Because the conversion will not only make it fly better (or at least differently) but you have the joy of spending some hours on something you like, and then you get the result as a reward.

I may had told that the boardless brushless conversion is not cheap, is not economical in the long term either if you consider the brushed motors last so long so the brushless won`t make it even by some time, but I had made one eventually.
Cause Iliked to build one. And for another reason also. If I had not bought so many RTF, if I had not spare brushed motors, then who knows if I could find a 3in1 and motors for the BOL in a few years... So at least I can have an alternative.

As for the rest heli there, I do not give a penny. I`m a BOLmaniac, cause I can have fun out of it.

Spiros

Old 06-06-2010, 02:37 AM
Edmund2

SImon
Having watched you on first 450 lipo video, I just wonder why my ESKY training kit that clips onto the skids let the heli stand so high up in the air (20+ cm). Yours are almost on the ground with only a "slight" downwards trend upon lift off. Looks funny when landing and the kit takes up any uneveness and the heli weight.

HAVE AGREAT FLYING DAY ALL.

Edmund2
Old 06-06-2010, 03:19 AM
sgbfly

ORIGINAL: Edmund2

SImon
Having watched you on first 450 lipo video, I just wonder why my ESKY training kit that clips onto the skids let the heli stand so high up in the air (20+ cm). Yours are almost on the ground with only a "slight" downwards trend upon lift off. Looks funny when landing and the kit takes up any uneveness and the heli weight.

HAVE AGREAT FLYING DAY ALL.

Edmund2
Hi Edmund,

My friends CP had that esky kit. The clips onto the skids are quite a good idea &amp; probably better than the cable ties mine are fixed to the skids with. I also noticed the Esky training kit was a little more rigid. I don't suppose it matters much both types of training gear seem effective.

It was quite funny yesterday. My friend watched me "fly" my 450 and then said have a go with mine. He proudly passed it to me and said, I've set it all up. I took the tx from him and noticed it was in idle up! lol. After this observation I proceeded with caution and set his bird down next to mine to make sure elevator, aileron, rudder and gyro all had the desired effect. Thankfully idle up was his only error! My first hop with the Belt cp tested the training gear because the gyro had failed to initialise correctly. Tried again and it was second time lucky!

Simon
Old 06-06-2010, 03:36 AM
aircrash

Good morning everybody,

I just tested my second PR301 charger. It`s OK as it should be.
Now I have to test the third and the forth charger I got.

Spiros
Old 06-06-2010, 03:56 AM
sgbfly

ORIGINAL: Buz
OMG! I just cannot justify spending $90+ for a BOL....which flies perfectly out of the box....and then spending an equal amount to totally change it around, re engineer the entire thing.... and put in all new components. Why?
I'll never understand it. I have brushless motors in much larger helicopters.....but the Lama is nearly a throw away helicopter. By the way... I'm selling all of my BOL's as parts helicopters. If anyone is interested let me know by email please. I have two more new BOL's on the way.... I'm going to concentrate a lot more on the 450 and the Blade SR. (But, I'll always own at least one BOL)....
Hi Buzz,

That's fair enough &amp; I guess looking at it very simply it depends on whether you see the BOL as a toy or a hobby.

Having done the boardless brushless (bb) upgrade I suggest the main advantages are performance, flyability, can fly back to back lipos, reliability &amp; its even possible to make a tentative economic argument. My point of view is probably the opposite bias to yours lol.

Performance: The bbBOL has approximately double power over stock. It can fly faster, ascend faster and the extra power is very useful if you get into trouble as you can power out of some situations. The extra power is useful in the wind too &amp; for banked turns!
Flyability: I've heard many complain of dift and having to re-trim during and between lipos. With a well set up bbBOL this problem goes away. A Head Hold gyro keeps the heading better in a breeze. Performance and flyability combined the bbBOL does fly better. The upgraded bbBOL can also carry more weight no sweat!
Back to back lipos. The advice from a famous rc pilot (Dave Herbert) for a brushed motored helicopter is fly for 5 mins cool for 10 mins. With brushless motors you don't need to allow the motors and electronics to cool between flights. For many the window of opportunity for flying a BOL is small so with a bbBOL you can take full advantage.
Reliability: In a stock setup the brushed motors wear out relatively quickly and don't like crashes. The 3in1 has given many stock BOL owners trouble. If you get to 50+ flights on a stock BOL without problems then you are doing well. On my bbBOL I have flown 100's of lipos through it and no problems. Perhaps I am lucky - I don't know &amp; I accept that one persons experience does not make a trend.
Economics: Ok this is the weakest part of the "for" argument but after 5 months of brushed motors I was on my 3rd 3in1 and 3rd set of motors. The $100 bb upgrade suddenly does not look so bad!

Speaking from a personal point of view the upgrade has helped me to learn to fly better because it raised the limits of what is possible with the BOL. Also I learnt a lot form it before things like esc'c, KV's &amp; programming cards were foreign to me. The upgrade might not be for everyone and it comes down to whatever is right for A.N. Other and that persons circumstances! For example, the BOL is a better for a "back yard" than a 450 TRex!

Simon

Old 06-06-2010, 04:06 AM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: sky soldier
Hey Peter,
Thanks for the thoughts, Mate. I believe I understand your thoughts exactly and very good thoughts they are. You are spot on about the skids. They’re gonna have to be replaced.
While waiting for Dave to reply to my PM, I’ve been reviewing the pics he posted on page 201 and the pics on the Helidirect website.http://www.helidirect.com/fusuno-250...ry-p-11541.hdx What I over-looked on the website pics, perhaps because of the red color, was the large zip ties holding the BOL down on the platform. If there are tapered studs screwed into the BOL battery frame that mate up with slighty smaller holes drilled into the platform and held in place by the zip ties, that may be the simplest and lightest option. With this option, I think a spreader bar will be needed to keep the zip tie tension from distorting the BOL frame and main gears.
Hope your weather gets to your likin soon
Hey again Jerry,

I had hoped you'd understand what I was trying to say re. the frame mounting mate! Hmmm - it really needs a design engineer to HELP out![sm=wink_smile.gif]
You will adapt and "find a way" for it to work I hope!!

Thanks for the explanation of your handle also - I didn't know "sky soldiers" was actually a nick-name...... Zip ties ARE a great invention.....![sm=regular_smile.gif]

I remember another flier zip-tied his servos in place but inadvertently warped the frame stripping his main gears. [sm=72_72.gif]This was with a smaller coaxial - but the principle still applied. Be careful what you squeeze "in them puppies"....[sm=teeth_smile.gif] They can apply a lot of tension!!!!

Old 06-06-2010, 04:14 AM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: Buz
Hi Buzz,
That's fair enough & I guess looking at it very simply it depends on whether you see the BOL as a toy or a hobby.
Having done the boardless brushless (bb) upgrade I suggest the main advantages are performance, flyability, can fly back to back lipos, reliability & its even possible to make a tentative economic argument. My point of view is probably the opposite bias to yours lol.
Speaking from a personal point of view the upgrade has helped me to learn to fly better because it raised the limits of what is possible with the BOL. Also I learnt a lot form it before things like esc'c, KV's & programming cards were foreign to me. The upgrade might not be for everyone and it comes down to whatever is right for A.N. Other and that persons circumstances! For example, the BOL is a better for a ''back yard'' than a 450 TRex!
Hey again Simon,

In my country it is actually against the law to fly a CP in a suburban backyard - due to the noise polution!

I agree with BOTH points of view. I can actually do that you know - because they are not mutually exclusive!

Whether a hobby or a toy - both sides of the coin (or arguements) are valid here.

I think you have had better luck than me with the BOLs in general - maybe that is because of my learning "carefree" attitudes from Southern Gentlemen's flying styles, but there is no doubt in my mind that the BOL is a great learning tool.....!![sm=thumbs_up.gif]

P.S. "Each to his own" - as they say[sm=49_49.gif]
P.P.S. It is actually illegal to start up a leaf blower before 6 am HERE too - but most residents overlook this[sm=wink_smile.gif]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.