Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 03:17 PM
evdreamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: are these blades any good for cp pro?

Glenn,

Well since I had to take a lot part to do what I wanted I decided to make a build video of it. I see a lot of posts about people and their CPP popping up, so I want to see if any of the videos might help them. It isn't any where near Finless quality, but since he doesn't do one on the CPP I thought it might help the new people. I am almost done filming it, but I don't have time to upload it today.

Have fun flying with what ever helicopter you choose.

I am hoping to get a test flight in soon.

Nick
Old 08-07-2008, 04:08 PM
evdreamer

Well I found out why I can't get the gear mesh tighter. First off the rear hole near the main shaft isn't far enough back. So I am going to use a drill press and make the hole farther back. Second there is a ridge in the middle of the frame that comes from the main shaft and the ridge on the brushless motor hits that and can't go farther back.

Nick
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44243.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	1006256   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34614.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	1006257  
Old 08-07-2008, 06:06 PM
rotarydoc

Nick,

Ah, yeah, I see what happened. I am sure you can do a little modification there to correct that little detail...

That would be cool if you made the build video, I would be interesting in seeing that. I think Finless has been doing it for a while, so I don't think anyone expects your video to be of his level, but I am sure you can do a great job.

Good luck with the repairs, and the video project too.

I am going to try to fly, but the weather is very unstable here tonight, storms coming through on and off.

Glenn
Old 08-07-2008, 11:15 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

It took like two hours to build and film. But I don't know how long the videos are. I tried to break it up like finless did. I think I went kind of quick through the programming, but if anyone wants me to add to it I could. It takes about 3 hours to upload 5 minutes worth of video, so it could take a few days. But I could post them when each video is done like Finless does. I don't have any special editing software to compress the video to make the uploading quicker. I really wanted to fly the CPP again, but I feel like I would strip the gear again.

Then I could work with the gear mesh during the upload.

I assume you didn't fly tonight because of the weather.

Nick
Old 08-08-2008, 08:43 AM
rotarydoc

Nick,

Sounds good on the build video, I'm sure it will turn out fine. Probably good that you broke it up into sections.

Nah, didn't fly last night, there was a small window of opportunity, but the grass at the horse track would have been very wet, so Ididn't go.

I was watching a show last night on TV where they were building Apache attack helicopters. Pretty cool. You think you have some wiring issues....the Apache has 8 MILES of wiring in it!

At the end, they were test flying it. Talk about a rock steady hover...LOL And I didn't realize that the real Apache's are aerobatic, they were doing flips and huge banked turns.

Pretty cool stuff!

Glenn
Old 08-08-2008, 10:08 AM
evdreamer

Glenn,

Sorry you couldn't fly last night.

I have seen that show before a couple of times. And they have their own machine to test all the wires out. But you probably won't see one do an inverted hover. LOL I think that would be a pretty cool place to work.

Nick
Old 08-08-2008, 01:33 PM
evdreamer

Well I think I got the right gear mesh now. It feels a lot like my T-Rex gear mesh. Here is what that center support looks like now that I cut part of it off.

Nick

Name:	Yw68302.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	1006759  
Old 08-08-2008, 02:29 PM
HeliStyle
My Feedback: (2)

looks nice, with all that stuff in the cp pro, its going to be like a dream machine lol, I haven't been able to fly in a week, its been storming out everynight since last saturday, Been dieing to fly but doesnt look like I will untill sunday
Old 08-08-2008, 02:50 PM
evdreamer

I just got done with a test flight. The main gear is fine now after a flight. But it seems like I am getting short flight times. Once I get past testing it I will do a real flight. I flipped the tail rotor, so the smooth side is on the out side. Then with my original gyro settings the tail didn't stay in one spot very long. So I messed with it and used some of the gain from the 3in1. And now it seems to be holding pretty good. I just need to work on it a little more to get rid of some tail wag. Putting two shims on each side of the head assembly makes a big difference compared to the Hiller grips. It is a little touchy, but I am getting used to it.

Helistyle sorry to hear you haven't flown in a while. Yesterday was perfect, but today it is getting hot and windy. And I am having a hard time keeping the helicopter at the same altitude.

Nick
Old 08-08-2008, 03:14 PM
rotarydoc

Nick, Heli,

Nick, sounds like you are getting there, wonder why your flight times went down? Do you think that the gear mesh might be a little on the tight side now?

When you are talking about the "smooth side" of the tail rotor, you mean the side without the GWS name on it?

Hopefully, my new tail rotors came today. But it might not matter, since it is very windy here today. But the weather is gorgeous otherwise, not hot and not humid. So I am looking forward to being able to fly some later on in the weekend, it's supposed to be nice all weekend.

At least rotor blades don't cost as much as the real Apache...LOL They will set you back $80,000 each!! They were saying that they could still fly even with softball sized holes in the main blades.

I'll write more later, don't wanna lose this message again. I HATE it when that happens...

Glenn
Old 08-08-2008, 03:28 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

Well it was on the battery that I over discharged from the wrong gear mesh before.

Yeah the GWS name is facing the gear box.

I would hate to have a blade strike with those blades.

Even with a little tail wag it flies great. I still want more out of the cyclic response. I am going to try 100% for the aileron and elevator swashmix. And I might add more shims. The servos are faster than the DS285's and I hear the CPP is supposed to flip pretty easily. But is still seems tame to me. I am going to put on the wooden blades and see how that goes.

I was uploading the videos and my computer disconnected me from the internet and I had to start all over, but the first one is almost done.

Nick
Old 08-08-2008, 03:59 PM
evdreamer

The first video is up on the new thread I started.

Nick
Old 08-08-2008, 06:30 PM
evdreamer

I am loving the CPP now. It is flying a lot like my T-Rex. The brushless motor rocks. It really needs the heat sink because it is getting up to 160 degrees with it on. I have 100% on the aileron and elevator swashmix. The wooden blades seem to be doing good. All the electronics are above 110 degrees after a flight. That might be why I am getting short flight times. Right now I calculated I can get 5.5 minutes until I hit 80% discharge. I cut part of the canopy to get airflow over the top of the motor, but I need some more holes in it. The main gear still looks good. I say the next weak link is the stock servos. Maybe some digital ones might be better. I was thinking about the digital version of the stock servos, but with complaints about E-Flite servos I might not. This tail motor and gyro handle everything I throw at them and then some. This is like my 300 sized T-Rex. And it is perfect for backyard type flying.

Glenn,

I hope you can get your rotors soon, so you can enjoy it as much as I do. I would get some video of it tonight, but there is a band playing at my neighbors house. So I will wait till tomorrow.

Nick
Old 08-08-2008, 07:04 PM
HeliStyle

with all the good talk about this tail motor, I think im finally going to order one this weekend, how is everyone doing?
Old 08-08-2008, 07:15 PM
evdreamer

It is well worth the money. I am about ready to go out for another flight with the CPP. Here are some pictures of what I did to the canopy. I just took a drill press to it. And now my CPP has earned a spot next to my T-Rex instead of sitting in the closet.

Nick

Name:	Mk26708.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	1006952   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf10044.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	1006953   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43768.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	1006954  
Old 08-08-2008, 07:49 PM
evdreamer

The holes in the canopy seemed to work. The motor was 30 degrees cooler and the other electronics parts were 10-20 degrees cooler after a flight.

Nick
Old 08-08-2008, 08:13 PM
HeliStyle

why if it deserves a spot next to your trex it must be really good, after hearing that im deff ordering the motor this weekend lol
Old 08-08-2008, 08:14 PM
HeliStyle

lol I mean wow not why
Old 08-08-2008, 09:02 PM
evdreamer

My CPP loves to fly backward figure 8's. I started to do a stall turn and dives backward and foward with the CPP. I am slowly practicing what I can do on the T-Rex. I don't want to jump right into the moves until I get used to the controls. The rotor would probably work better the way Glenn has his mounted. His rotor spins up into the blades, so that will increase the tail control with all the air going over the rotor. And mine spins down away from the main rotor, so I am not getting all the air I could over the tail rotor.

Nick
Old 08-08-2008, 09:27 PM
evdreamer

I forgot to mention I am getting longer flight times now. I am around 6.5 minutes. I think things just need to break in and the cooling vents probably help some. Also the CPP is more efficient than my T-Rex. It might be because of the aluminum parts on the T-Rex. But I use 200mAh/minute on the T-Rex and I am at ~95mAh/minute on the CPP.

Nick
Old 08-08-2008, 09:28 PM
rotarydoc

Nick,

No flying for me tonight, the wind never did let up much...but I did get my tail rotors, so I should be able to do something with the CPP this weekend, sooner or later. I also have an itch to fly the Gaui again, so maybe I'll get to do that too. At least it is not supposed to be hot, I just hope the wind dies down.

Glad to see that you got the CPP all put together and have it flying well! I also had a major issue with mine last time out with keeping a steady altitude, but it may have been a bit of wind as well with mine. It wasn't windy, but not calm either. I will hopefully get a chance to try to sort it out. It would be great if I could get it to fly like it did that very first flight out with the motor...that was very cool!

Great job on the build videos! I enjoyed them very much, and I am certain they will help others get their CPP's flying well too. Not quite Finless yet, but not a bad start at all!! I am sure his first attempts weren't his best either! Better than I could do, I am sure!

I never realized how much different the DX7 is than the DX6i, some aspects are totally different on the screens. In fact, it looked very unfamiliar indeed. I am sure the DX7 is setup better, for more adjustability, it seems somewhat more complicated than the DX6i, but that could just be because I am not used to seeing the different screens.

I went to the LHS earlier, just looking and poking around. Not much new there. I also surveyed the spare parts, I need to restock some stuff for the B400, like flybars, main shafts, and orings. Maybe I'll get some later this weekend.

I'll be back a bit later, don't wanna lose this post...

Glenn
Old 08-08-2008, 09:49 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

Sorry to hear you couldn't fly tonight. The wind calmed down later today, so I enjoyed the CPP even more. I have about 10 flights on the motor now and it is still holding strong. By now my stock motor would start failing.

I hope the next time you fly it is like your first time with the new motor.

Thanks for your comment on my videos. I saw a few people have watched them, so I hope they can learn something from them. I am planning on doing some videos on the brushless setup, the GWS motor and the gyro. Hopefully I can make them better than my first attempts. I kind of know what to expect making them now. I didn't think about the screen on the DX7 making a reflection, so that kind of made it hard to see it.

I was also stocking up on parts for my CPP. My LHS didn't have much in stock, but I got another mainshaft and some dampners. I want them to carry the symmetrical blades, but it seems like they never have them in stock. But they have a place for them.

Nick
Old 08-08-2008, 10:46 PM
rotarydoc

Nick,

I got 2 packs of tail rotor blades, but I am lucky I got any at all...the USPS mailing package that has the sticky glue flap on one side didn't hold very well, in fact, it was actually open slightly when I got it. Luckily, the blades didn't fall out. I should be set on tail blades for a while, at least.

It was really funny the other day, when the loose fitting blade flew off, I spun it up, and was actually going to try to lift off, and I heard this funny whirring noise, and the blade went somewhere, I have no idea, but I couldn't find it anywhere..LOL Good thing it flew off when it did, instead of mid flight.

I have been practicing on the sim, with the Gaui 200 model that I got from HF. It is about as difficult to fly on the sim as it is in real life. Which is good, it makes the other helis on the sim seem like a piece of cake. And the B400 seems like slow motion in real life compared to it. I think it is a good heli to use in the sim. It's alot easier for me to go from a fast, twitchy heli to a slow one, than the other way around.

Of course, I take many more chances with it on the sim than in real life. But I think that is valuable experience. I have learned how to save it a few times from really bad situations, hopefully, it will carry over to real life flying.

I am slowly getting smoother with it on the sim. Especially the figure 8's the difficult (for me) direction.

I checked into my local flying field a bit more the other day, online, and they do have a section of the field for helis, off by itself. But you have to be an AMA member, and there are alot of rules and stuff. Maybe soon, I'll go up there and check it out, but I would almost rather just fly at the horse race track. It's close, easy, and no one seems to mind....yet.

Glenn
Old 08-08-2008, 11:06 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

Good to hear you didn't lose the blades in the mail.

Good thing you were not hit by the blade. Then you couldn't autorotate if it fell off in flight since there is no one way bearing. But I don't know if the CPP is capable of autorotating.

I tried going from my tame CPP to the T-Rex and I had a hard time getting used to it again. But now I would say they are pretty close in cyclic response. I could still add one more set of shims to increase the cyclic response even more if I wanted too, but I am fine with the way it is now.

It is always good to crash a lot on the sim and learn from it and not crash as much in real life.

Do you know if your local flying field has a trainer airplane or helicopter? If they had a trainer helicopter it would probably be a .30-.40 sized nitro. That would probably be fun to fly. The only time I go up to my local flying field is for special events. I also like going to my flying spot since it is also close.

Nick
Old 08-09-2008, 12:36 AM
rotarydoc

Nick,

When I was looking at the site, they mentioned flight instruction for planes, but it said that they currently have no flight instruction for helicopters. So I would assume that means no trainer helis.

Now I wish I could have my GMP Cobra .60 back that I had in the day...I probably could actually fly it now.

Looking back at it, without a sim, it would have taken me a long, long time to ever get any good with it. Especially since I was terrified of crashing it.

Back then, there was no internet, at least not to the public like we have now, and the LHS that did helicopters was 40 miles away. It was a good long drive to go get parts when I needed them. Or, I would have to order them over the phone directly from the company, in California. Their service wasn't the greatest, maybe why they went out of business. My heli kit was missing a bearing, and it took me over a week to get a new one.

I still need to dig up that video and watch it again. I do remember that I used a transmitter tray, and I used the pinch grip method of controlling the sticks.

It's amazing that I ever got the thing to even hover...given the lack of forums, simulators, and magazines...

Glenn

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.