Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Official Tamiya TT-01 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 07:41 AM
jaysauce

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Tamiya TT-01 Thread

ORIGINAL: Andyjk

ORIGINAL: jaysauce

How much run time would I get with the 3000 packs? and just for reference how much with the 5000 packs?Are those venoms good batteries?
Venom packs are rubbish. Most people will tell you to steer clear of them. I started off using them and some lasted OK and others died fairly quickly. They aren't very consistent. Now that I have used them and know what they are like, I would never buy Venom again.

Lol that sounds really harsh, but there are so many other brands that will out-perform and outlast Venom battery packs.
Well which ones are they?

Old 10-16-2009, 08:35 AM
nbla

ORIGINAL: nbla

Ok, I already have one TT01 that I got online used. During the winter I'm going to build another TT01 from scratch. On the one I already have, the alu parts are red (which I like better), but from what I understand while browsing through different online shops is that the blue parts are much easier to get hold of.

Is there any idea going for red or should I just go blue? I'm planning to change most of the parts including chassis over time, so I suppose that if I can get parts from the same brand it's better
Yes, the blue aluminium parts are easier to come across but you can find just the same parts in red, if you look hard enough. My TT-01 is done in red aluminium-Just because I thought it would be different to all the blue ones out there (plus red makes it go faster) lol
Alright I'll stick to blue then, since my current TT01 is loaded with red parts Thanks for the heads up
Old 10-16-2009, 09:41 AM
MD6

Jaysauce - A Main Hobbies have their 4200's for a little over $25 per pack and they are good batteries. They are called ProTek. They also have battery cells in groups of fours you can buy if you want to make your own. Just make sure you get the correct size.
Old 10-17-2009, 12:41 AM
Andyjk

How much run time would I get with the 3000 packs? and just for reference how much with the 5000 packs? Are those venoms good batteries?
Venom packs are rubbish. Most people will tell you to steer clear of them. I started off using them and some lasted OK and others died fairly quickly. They aren't very consistent. Now that I have used them and know what they are like, I would never buy Venom again.

Lol that sounds really harsh, but there are so many other brands that will out-perform and outlast Venom battery packs.
Well which ones are they?

Look at hobbycity.com. Plenty of cheap stuff on there. Doesn't hurt to do some research
Old 10-17-2009, 02:21 AM
cydog510

agreed. just read a minimum 50 pages, even randomly if you'd like, i am sure you will get the info you need

"a wealth of knowledge at your fingertips"
Old 10-17-2009, 03:50 AM
DriftTatanka

I want to get a TT-01ED. I want the benefits of the E and D. The only thing that bugs me is the steering play. My friends steering play on his basic TT-01 is massive. Also, he had to replace his hubs and whatnot to get rid of some of it and plenty was left. I want a car built like a rock. I want it to be a drifter, and maybe later a rally car.

His has a very high millage and still runs great. It just has lots of play and very little if any torque steer most of it is due to play and dirt in the hubs and maybe old bushings I think.

What are some drivetrain durability upgrades(I will use brushless)?

What do I need to get rid of play?<br type="_moz" />
Old 10-17-2009, 04:43 AM
dfiantii

Replace bushings with bearing all around, upgrade the steering to aluminum rack, get s stronger bumper, center brace, locked diff in the rear.
Old 10-17-2009, 04:47 AM
Bok

ORIGINAL: DriftTatanka

I want to get a TT-01ED. I want the benefits of the E and D. The only thing that bugs me is the steering play. My friends steering play on his basic TT-01 is massive. Also, he had to replace his hubs and whatnot to get rid of some of it and plenty was left. I want a car built like a rock. I want it to be a drifter, and maybe later a rally car.

His has a very high millage and still runs great. It just has lots of play and very little if any torque steer most of it is due to play and dirt in the hubs and maybe old bushings I think.

What are some drivetrain durability upgrades(I will use brushless)?

What do I need to get rid of play?<br type=''_moz'' />

The steering play problem was corrected on the Type E. Type E also comes with an upper deck, beefier knuckles, uprights, shock towers. Drift spec adds bearings, sport tuned motor, motor heatsink, adjustable upper arms, tierods and oil shocks.

For brushless drivetrain upgrades, I would definitely swap out the plastic axles, cups and dogbones with alloy ones.

The TT01 is a tough car, I have crashed and flipped mine numerous times on the track, and I have yet to break a single part.

If you are still concerned about the play, then I suggest you get a TB03 or a TA05.
Old 10-17-2009, 05:08 AM
DriftTatanka

Ok sounds good guys.

I think I am going to get the TT-01ED Kit.

It is a hybrid of the TT-01E and the TT-01D.

The TT-01ED already comes with Ball Bearings, TT-01E Steering System/Brace.

Regarding the drivetrain, what do I need to do to be safe with Brushless Systems? I plan on using 10.5T this time.

-TB-03ED
-Direct Coupling(Spool)
-Front One Way
-3Racing Full HopUp Set
-Brushless System?(I've had Castle Creations Sidewinder 4600kv System and the Novak Ballistic 3S 88.5T 5000kv System)

EDIT: I already have aTB-03D. I want a Basher though.<br type="_moz" />
Old 10-18-2009, 09:22 PM
xed32

Okay, so i have been reading up on the differences between the different gear pitches etc. 64p seems the way to go for high speed, but all the spur gears i'v seen start at 80t. Is the HPI spur adapter the one for the sprint 2? It looks like the TB-03 spur adapter. I'v beeneyingthe 72T 0.4 Tamiya TB-01 spur with the Tamiya 0.4 43T pinion, but can't find a pick of the front side of the spur to see if it can work on the TT-01 shaft. 72/55 Should give you a hell of a top speed (72 spur 55 pinion). Where'd you get a 72t 64p Spur?

ORIGINAL: dfiantii

ORIGINAL: xed32

I'm new here. building up a brushless TT-01E with 3 racing FRP chassis and losi Xcelorin 4800kv motor and esc. Are you using the TB-01 35T pinion? Also, my LHSadvised me not to use the Front one way, but to use ball diffs all around due to the car only braking with the rear wheels with the one way, causing it to spin on parking lot surfaces. Noticed that issue? Any heat problems with that gearing? Also, for those with cogging. I did have that before i changed to a 2.4ghz radio and calibrating the esc. So check for that as well.

ORIGINAL: dfiantii

This is the 3racing chasis for the TT-01. It gives me the ability to run a gearing of 55t Spur, 35t Pinion which gives me a ratio of 4.09. As you can see I also have the stabilizer set, center brace, I am rocking a front one-way and rear ball diff. I am able to do camber and droop adjustments with this chasis and I am running a Speed Passion LPF Brushless esc with a Trinity Pulse 17.5 motor for RCGT Class Oil filled shocks all the way around as well.
Welcome to the forum. I have not had any heat issues as of yet. I understand why the LHS would talk about using the diff because you have braking on all four corners. I wanted to have corner speed so I went with the one way. I have not had any tail spin issues with the one way. I have since changed my gearing to 64 pitch and I am now running a 72/55 gearing but you NEED the HPI Gear Adapter to make this work. You have alot of reading ahead of you is all I can say. If you have anymore questions don't hesitate to ask. We are all here to share knowledge on this great starter car. I am going to be making my car into a drifter. This is the track I race/practice at.

www.speedworldraceway.com
Old 10-18-2009, 10:05 PM
dfiantii

I apologize. I made a mistake in my gearing information that I gave you. I am running 84/55 which gives me a gear ration of 3.97. This is the gear adapter that I am using HPI #75104. I m changing gears and looking to turn my TT01 from a racer into a drifter. So i may go back to tamiya gearing depending on the gear ratio I need to use depending on the motor I use. I may use a 9t brushless motor, or go down to 7.5t. 73T 64p spur is the smallest I have found so far.

http://www.hpieurope.com/piw.php?lang=es&partNo=75104
http://www.losipartshouse.com/servle...er-Spur/Detail
Old 10-19-2009, 01:20 PM
xed32

The 3racing motor mount took that gearing with no space issues? I have the FRP chassis. If my Losi esc can handle that gearing it should scream with the 3s lipo 4800kv motor combo.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:28 PM
dfiantii

It took it with some modification. I had to grind out some more material from the motor mount so i could get the motor to slide out more so the gearing could fit. Here is a pic of my car presently before i change it to a drifter. Any drifters out there have any recommendations for me?
Old 10-19-2009, 02:05 PM
xed32

Do you think this would work?
http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/86940/
Or this:
http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/100670/
Old 10-19-2009, 02:13 PM
dfiantii

The first one may not work because if you have the 3racing chasis you don't have alot of room to work with. The spur gear adapter that i linked to works and you still have to remove some material from the rear gearbox. Ultimately if you get one of the two you posted your going to have to go trial and error. Thats how I found the hpi gear adapter i linked to. someone found it and tested it and it worked.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:51 PM
xed32

Something tells me i'm gonna get lazy and just throw the regular 55t spur with an HPI 0.6 35T Pinion and call it a day. LOL. Will post pics of my car when its built. Having a few hiccups with part shipping and fitment. Shipping is always excellent from Hong kong or Japan, but for some reason parts from the US take forever.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:16 PM
dfiantii

That might be the route I will go seeing as how I am switching to drifting and dont need to really buy anymore 64p pinions when I can just switch back to the tamiya gears. Just depends on if I want the gearing to be more quiet. Will just have to see.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:27 PM
DriftTatanka

If anyone has a TT-01 for sale let me know. I am looking for one preferably a TT-01ED or E with ball bearings. I am open to any TT-01s though thanks again.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:38 PM
Bok

ORIGINAL: Nawabi

hmm, is it a bad idea to change only the pinion?

dont know where i can get my hands on a tamiya spur gear ''cheap''?

The 58T and 55T spur gears come as a set

Here are the different gear ratios you can use:

Old 10-21-2009, 02:50 PM
nbla

Ok ordered the spare parts I need for my TT01 from rcmart, is that a good shop? Prices seems to be good atleast and I can use paypal, which is nice

Anyway, the outer metal cylinder thingy on the Rear Lower Arm flew away a few weeks back when I was driving, never found it. Also the dogbone attached to that side flew away, but I could locate it
*Yeah Racing (#TT-002RD) Alloy Rear Lower Arm (RD)

Ordering stuff for to Sweden for 10$ only seemed like a waste, so I also put in a heatsink for my next car. Too bad they don't make all parts in GunMetal color, that would rock
*Yeah Racing (#YA-0152GM) Brushless Motor Twin Fan Heat Sink

I also have a question, if I'm going to get different brands of parts, like YR, 3R and GPM, is there a list somewhere that says what fits to what, or are they all universal?

Thanks
Old 10-21-2009, 03:09 PM
cydog510

they are not all universal, be aware and research, the GPM part are mstly usable with stock parts, but 3 racing tend to only work with other 3racing parts, (knuckles and universal shafts)
Old 10-22-2009, 01:49 AM
cydog510

anybody have any clever ideas on how to remove a sheared off ball screw from the turn buckle set? it happened twice on the front knuckle and now i cannot get it out, there's gotta be a way, check the first image below. i also took some pics of the rally chassis, waterproof and sooo fun, just have to get a faster motor, thinkin of the trinity 15t. anyone had experience with traxxas titan motors? oh and a pic of my real basic LED set up, i drive at night mostly, so big ones are needed.
thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm34869.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	528.8 KB
ID:	1299821   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33953.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	541.0 KB
ID:	1299822   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79938.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	584.7 KB
ID:	1299823   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv53717.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	670.6 KB
ID:	1299824   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bv60009.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	393.9 KB
ID:	1299825  
Old 10-22-2009, 05:09 AM
Bok

ORIGINAL: cydog510

anybody have any clever ideas on how to remove a sheared off ball screw from the turn buckle set? it happened twice on the front knuckle and now i cannot get it out, there's gotta be a way, check the first image below. i also took some pics of the rally chassis, waterproof and sooo fun, just have to get a faster motor, thinkin of the trinity 15t. anyone had experience with traxxas titan motors? oh and a pic of my real basic LED set up, i drive at night mostly, so big ones are needed.
thanks.

Looks like there is enough material left for a pair of needle nose pliers to grab on. If you can't get it out using pliers, you will need to use a drill to bore it out
Old 10-22-2009, 06:59 AM
Timbulb

Use a dremel to put a notch in the head of it and remove it with a flat head screwdriver.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:41 AM
Andyjk

ORIGINAL: cydog510

thanks.
Traxxas Titan motors are rubbish. Ask any Slash owner. Mine lasted around a month. lol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.