Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Official DF-03 Ra Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 05:23 AM
Ttam Says Blarg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official DF-03 Ra Thread

ORIGINAL: Eman77

ORIGINAL: Casper06

You should have caught LB's special during December...

Still never too late to get one from Tower!
I know, I know - not sure if I was aware of his special. If I was, I was probably too buried in debt to consider it. He says it was a good deal. Maybe I should have. [&:]

Really want that Lancia all of a sudden.
I didnt know about it so...? That Lancia is an awesome body! I have seen some stellar paint jobs on that body!
Old 01-22-2011, 05:44 AM
CWHFSR

ORIGINAL: bymannan

Hi All, I am looking to get this kit. I have a few questions about it, hope you can help.

1. Can I run LiPo with the stock motor and ESC? I plan to use a ZIPPY Flightmax 5000mAh 2S1P 20C hardcase pack. There isn't much use for an old NiMH battery, I plan to go Brushless at some point.

2. How much run time can I expect from the stock setup with the above LiPo?
I am a heli guy, on helis you fly for like 4.5 minutes... So I hope this will be a lot more.

3. Can this car kinda rally drift with stock electronics? Can it do that with any electronics configuration?

Thanks for now
Running that battery won't be a problem as long as it fits. It is a pretty small space for batteries and a hard case will make it very tight. I would check with the size of your battery and then the size of the location on the car (I don't know that size off hand).

As to a run time I would guess in the 15-20 minute range depending on how hard you are running it. I ran 3s2200 batteries on my stock motor and was easily running for 10-12 minutes or until really hot. Then again, I wasn't full throttle most of the time either.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:14 AM
bymannan

Thanks! Will a 139 x 46 x 26mm buttery fit?

ORIGINAL: CWHFSR

Hi All, I am looking to get this kit. I have a few questions about it, hope you can help.

1. Can I run LiPo with the stock motor and ESC? I plan to use a ZIPPY Flightmax 5000mAh 2S1P 20C hardcase pack. There isn't much use for an old NiMH battery, I plan to go Brushless at some point.

I am a heli guy, on helis you fly for like 4.5 minutes... So I hope this will be a lot more.

3. Can this car kinda rally drift with stock electronics? Can it do that with any electronics configuration?

Thanks for now
Running that battery won't be a problem as long as it fits. It is a pretty small space for batteries and a hard case will make it very tight. I would check with the size of your battery and then the size of the location on the car (I don't know that size off hand).

As to a run time I would guess in the 15-20 minute range depending on how hard you are running it. I ran 3s2200 batteries on my stock motor and was easily running for 10-12 minutes or until really hot. Then again, I wasn't full throttle most of the time either.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:40 AM
bridge69

Well I just finished my LED light project for my Lancia Delta. It was a great looking body before but I like it more now. I made my own taillight boxes using polycarbonate and aluminum tape, drilled out the headlights, and added a RPM four light cannister bar to the front (it looks very close to scale). let me know what you think.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79248.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	1551288   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36999.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	1551289   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg94001.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	1551290   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lf94602.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	1551291   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ny27483.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	1551292   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zp95191.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	1551293   Click image for larger version

Name:	Eg77573.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	1551294   Click image for larger version

Name:	Az86872.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	1551295  

Old 01-22-2011, 02:33 PM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: bridge69

Well I just finished my LED light project for my Lancia Delta. It was a great looking body before but I like it more now. I made my own taillight boxes using polycarbonate and aluminum tape, drilled out the headlights, and added a RPM four light cannister bar to the front (it looks very close to scale). let me know what you think.
Looking sharp!

I've still gotta get some paint for my Lancer, I'll post some pics when It's painted.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:39 PM
aflipz
My Feedback: (10)

Looking sharp indeed!

The level at which people are finishing this car is phenomenal (people other than myself that is)

It really brings out the artist in (most of) us.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:30 AM
CWHFSR

Thanks! Will a 139 x 46 x 26mm buttery fit?
Sorry but I can't find where the size of the battery compartment is listed. I believe it was stated somewhere in this thread but it is a long thread to go looking for. I recommend you go searching
Old 01-23-2011, 07:02 AM
bridge69

Thanks for the comments on my Lancia. Half the fun of this hobby is building the cars! I picked up a Mistubishi Evo X from Tower with their Christmas special. I plan on making another Rally / Drift car with the body. I plan on using the extra chassis for spare parts. I have a 3 Racing LED kit for this set up with turn signals and brake lights! I've got some carbon decal for the hood and rear wing.I will post photo's when I have it done.

CWHFSR, thank Aflipz for this battery information from page 7:

The battery tray is (approximately)

145MM long (it's a bit longer but there's some of that space used for the hinge pin that holds the door in, you'll understand when you see it. basically a bit shorter than 145mm would be preferable, wouldn't really risk buying one longer than 140-143 myself)

50MM wide (but again I'd leave a few MM maybe 5, to clear wires, any bulge the wires sticking out the side of the pack and so forth)

roughly 27MM deep. Doubt that part would be problematic with any 2 cell pack.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:21 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

Cool car bro.. I showed it to my friend and he really thought it was real at first glance! Mad props.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:15 AM
alexchen86

I agree with both of you. Ipersonally run a 4000mah 2S lipo in my DF-03Ra with the Sidewinder 4600kv combo. Even in Texas heat the motor is a nice 140-145 ESCis tops at 135 with a dust shield on andy the body. Zippy hardcase packs will not fit since the battery tray is meant for a standard 6 cell nimh...however you can dremel the sides to jam it in there. On my lipo it was a soft pack so I just dremeled out parts of the upper chassis so the wires don't get bunched up.

Depending on your gearing, your run time on a 5000mah 2S should be in the ball park for 25 minutes maybe half an hour depending on the course or if you're just blasting around the street. However with the stock silver can about 27T...you will lose a lot of the power your lipo can provide. Iwould say at least make a jump to the Sport Tuned black can version...it's only $25.

With stock electronics is was hard to maintain a good drift...the most you'd get is maybe a little over half a circle. However with a brushless setup on 2S...go nuts!

This car is extremely versatile being of buggy heritage to take jumps (yes I have taken it to several short course tracks (slipper installed of course lol), easy lock on the ball diffs for drifting, and very easy to waterproof if you go mudding like Ido.

Enjoy the car!

Thanks for now

Old 01-24-2011, 07:58 AM
Eman77

ORIGINAL: Ttam Says Blarg

ORIGINAL: Eman77

ORIGINAL: Casper06

You should have caught LB's special during December...

Still never too late to get one from Tower!
I know, I know - not sure if I was aware of his special. If I was, I was probably too buried in debt to consider it. He says it was a good deal. Maybe I should have. [&:]

Really want that Lancia all of a sudden.
I didnt know about it so...? That Lancia is an awesome body! I have seen some stellar paint jobs on that body!
Get one! Get one!

...then get me one!
Old 01-25-2011, 06:18 AM
bymannan

Thank you. Boy, this is a much much more expensive hobby than Helis. The last heli I built is a HK450GT with a very good ESC and motor and the whole thing was 160$ with 2 LiPos. Here going brushless with a nice upgrades such as the clutch and the inner cover will set me way over the 300$ mark easy..... Makes me think I should go with the Slash 2WD RTR which is less. But it does not speak to me as this EVO X car.

Are you sure Zippy hardcase packs will not fit? The numbers bridge69 wrote (thank you) are 145 x 50 x 27mm, and the hardcase Zippy is 139 x 46 x 26mm. If i'll find a way for the wires to come out, I should be fine no?

Thanks again...

ORIGINAL: alexchen86

I agree with both of you. I personally run a 4000mah 2S lipo in my DF-03Ra with the Sidewinder 4600kv combo. Even in Texas heat the motor is a nice 140-145 ESC is tops at 135 with a dust shield on andy the body. Zippy hardcase packs will not fit since the battery tray is meant for a standard 6 cell nimh...however you can dremel the sides to jam it in there. On my lipo it was a soft pack so I just dremeled out parts of the upper chassis so the wires don't get bunched up.

Depending on your gearing, your run time on a 5000mah 2S should be in the ball park for 25 minutes maybe half an hour depending on the course or if you're just blasting around the street. However with the stock silver can about 27T...you will lose a lot of the power your lipo can provide. I would say at least make a jump to the Sport Tuned black can version...it's only $25.

With stock electronics is was hard to maintain a good drift...the most you'd get is maybe a little over half a circle. However with a brushless setup on 2S...go nuts!

This car is extremely versatile being of buggy heritage to take jumps (yes I have taken it to several short course tracks (slipper installed of course lol), easy lock on the ball diffs for drifting, and very easy to waterproof if you go mudding like I do.

Enjoy the car!

Thanks for now

Old 01-25-2011, 10:44 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey guys, how well do those tires perform? Do they last a decent timeframe?
Old 01-25-2011, 10:56 AM
theibault

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty good for an all around tire. Pushes a bit on pavement. Life span is based on how you drive and what motor you have.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:11 AM

ORIGINAL: theibault

Pretty good for an all around tire. Pushes a bit on pavement. Life span is based on how you drive and what motor you have.
I'm fitting them on my NTC3, so figure about the same power as a ~4200kV BL on 2S lipos.

What inserts do you use?
Old 01-25-2011, 12:11 PM
aflipz

ORIGINAL: 378

ORIGINAL: theibault

I'm fitting them on my NTC3, so figure about the same power as a ~4200kV BL on 2S lipos.

What inserts do you use?
None. The tire's structure doesn't require any, adding some would increase rotating mass and unsprung weight while rendering the sidewall and contact patch way too hard to work right.

I would add that durability also depends on surface used.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:17 PM

Ahh, so it's like the tires on my CEN. That's good to know, though I remember tires that don't need inserts tend to be pretty bouncy.

As for the surface I'm going to run on, it will vary considerably. Mud, snow, dirt, dust, gravel, rough and smooth asphalt, even some concrete. Pretty much anything one could run a shaft-drive touring car on.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:22 PM
aflipz

Ahh, so it's like the tires on my CEN. That's good to know, though I remember tires that don't need inserts tend to be pretty bouncy.

As for the surface I'm going to run on, it will vary considerably. Mud, snow, dirt, dust, gravel, rough and smooth asphalt, even some concrete. Pretty much anything one could run a shaft-drive touring car on.

That's exactly what these tires are designed for. They don't bounce too bad IIRC. I do use a variety of tires for different surfaces, from racing slicks to rally tires and everything in between. Never tried it on foams though I am sure it would perform quite nicely. I only wish we could adjust rear toe. (and get sealed gear diffs)

Old 01-25-2011, 12:31 PM

ORIGINAL: aflipzThat's exactly what these tires are designed for.
That's why I'm interested in them. The area I have to drive is a mixture of surfaces and I tend to vary which ones I'm on several times during a run. I need a good tire that will work okay for blasting up and down the street at WOT in a straight line, but not let the car hang up on the slightest pebble in the dirt.

These tires ought to do the trick.

I do use a variety of tires for different surfaces, from racing slicks to rally tires and everything in between.
Right now I'm on a set of semi-slicks that are about 50% worn down. They came on the car when I got it. As it is I can spin all four of them on the smooth pavement.

I only wish we could adjust rear toe. (and get sealed gear diffs)
I kinda want some gear diffs too, but then I got to thinking...with the plastic ring and pinion gears and the power I'm putting down, leaving the ball diffs installed and setting them to act as a slipper clutch might keep me from stripping a lot of gears. It's not like touring cars are designed to be driven off road, after all.

I can adjust my toe-in though. I'm leaving it at the stock 2ΒΊ just to preserve the tires, with 4WD I don't need excessive rear toe. It tends to follow the front wheels when I floor it.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:07 PM
aflipz

I can adjust my toe-in though. I'm leaving it at the stock 2ΒΊ just to preserve the tires, with 4WD I don't need excessive rear toe. It tends to follow the front wheels when I floor it.

I would want to remove a bit, how do you adjust your REAR toe in with a fixed lower control arm pivot point and hub carrier? I can adjust front toe and camber, but only camber in the back.

If you need a slipper; get a slipper! These weak ball diffs won't last under high power if you rely on them slipping to save the gears.

In fact, IMO these (ball diffs) are the major killjoy on these cars; they are weak, don't keep adjustment and are overly sensitive to dirt contamination. I want to dial in my diffs with various density silicon oils and never have to mess with them again.

I quite simply don't drive the car anymore partly due to this; it's just too tedious to keep fumbling with diff adjustments and cleaning/lubing all the time.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:35 PM
bymannan

ORIGINAL: aflipz

I would want to remove a bit, how do you adjust your REAR toe in with a fixed lower control arm pivot point and hub carrier? I can adjust front toe and camber, but only camber in the back.

If you need a slipper; get a slipper! These weak ball diffs won't last under high power if you rely on them slipping to save the gears.

In fact, IMO these (ball diffs) are the major killjoy on these cars; they are weak, don't keep adjustment and are overly sensitive to dirt contamination. I want to dial in my diffs with various density silicon oils and never have to mess with them again.

I quite simply don't drive the car anymore partly due to this; it's just too tedious to keep fumbling with diff adjustments and cleaning/lubing all the time.
Can't you seal the gear box with silicon to stop dirt getting in? This sounds very disturbing. What, should I get a slash 2wd instead?
Old 01-25-2011, 01:55 PM
aflipz

I don't know...

It could be I'm a little jaded with RC cars at least at the moment; my complaint doesn't seem to be so popular... It's just that in my opinion/experience is that ball diffs are obsolete. I'm sure when I get it back out there I will love my DF03RA again though so take my rant with a grain of salt...

They all have their pro's and cons. I don't know that I would ever buy anything 2wd though. especially not something designed to go off road. personal taste.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:00 PM

ORIGINAL: aflipz

I simply popped in to ask about the tires, since I noticed these cars came with them factory. I'm fitting them on an NTC3.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:53 PM
bubbz

what size bodies fit on the chassis?

would these work? : http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=51188
                                  http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=51223
Old 01-26-2011, 09:35 PM
aflipz

ORIGINAL: bubbz

what size bodies fit on the chassis?

would these work? : http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=51188
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=51223

Yes.

That's too rich for my blood though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.