Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Wheeeeeeee.......... Blade CP!

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Wheeeeeeee.......... Blade CP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 07:36 PM
rayelljay

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Wheeeeeeee.......... Blade CP!

Well guys,
'Tis raining and storming so birds will stay inside today but at least there was a decent race this afternoon (for an oval track).
Barrick, go ahead and ease that right stick forward a bit.......I went through the same phase. That's not to say I'm fully proficient now...it does mean, still, that I take a deep breath before I do the same.
Well, now I'm down to just one Pro....No.1 speed control fried so all the goodies were transferred to No.2. Yeah, I think I'll invest in a new CNC swashplate but not until I resolve this:
Everything in No.2 is set up the way No.1 was but I have a slight problem in unpredictable vertical displacements...the "bobs". Since I usually fly with No.2 naked (no canopy) so I have a good view of the mechanics. Maybe, one of you gurus could advise me of further tests to pin point the malady. They happen fairly soon into the flight. Head speed doesn't vary muchly but I can see the three servos kicking together to induce the bobs. I have new batteries in the Tx so I'm wondering if the Rx is telling me something and I don't recognise the illness.
I have a lotta fun with the two 400's but the Pro is so much fun to fly that I'd like to keep at least one flyable. I wouldn't mind going brushless in the mains and replacing the RX with something compatible with either the DX6I (from the 400) or DX 7 (for the Rexes). Question is, how do I go about powering the tail rotor if I get rid of the original RX and speed control system.
I do tend to run my stuff until it calls it quits but I do think it is getting close to the time to replace the main motor.
Any guidance would be appreciated.
Ray
Old 04-28-2008, 03:28 PM
Barrrick
My Feedback: (2)

RICK HERE ON LUNCH TIME AT WORK
VIC SET UP THE HBKS WITH A DEAN CONNECTOR

The first attempt to connect the batt. to the ESC was so difficult, the connectors are so tight

at the END of the first flight( trying to disconnect one of the poles (negative, I think) was ripped off and I need to re-solder it

any SUGGESTIONS from my more experienced group on how best to handle this problem ?
is THIS hardness / tightness the standard for DEANS ?
would it be better to have
some other kind, like the ASTRO FLIGHT, for example ?

I will read tonight when I m back home

RICK
Old 04-28-2008, 03:34 PM
crashcrash

ORIGINAL: Barrrick

RICK HERE ON LUNCH TIME AT WORK
VIC SET UP THE HBKS WITH A DEAN CONNECTOR

The first attempt to connect the batt. to the ESC was so difficult, the connectors are so tight

at the END of the first flight( trying to disconnect one of the poles (negative, I think) was ripped off and I need to re-solder it

any SUGGESTIONS from my more experienced group on how best to handle this problem ?
is THIS hardness / tightness the standard for DEANS ?
would it be better to have
some other kind, like the ASTRO FLIGHT, for example ?

I will read tonight when I m back home

RICK
Rick,
I don't know what could have happened. They're supposed to be a little snug, and I didn't have any real problem with it here...it worked well. I have a few here that are actually too loose and I had to adjust them to be tighter. I guess what I'm saying is...even though they're deans connectors, it looks like the standard varies from batch to batch (from what I'm seeing).
Old 04-28-2008, 06:07 PM
theradioflyer

Congrats Vic!

Rick, you have skill! Now get to a park with open space, no trees or fences, and open her up. You'll be surprised how easy it is. If you can do it on the sim you can do it on your T-Rex.

God Bless the B.O.B's!

Jay
Old 04-29-2008, 10:29 AM
ArrowNaughtic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok......heres a little flight story. On Sunday I met up with Bill, my flying buddy and had Oly in the van with me. We met up at a schoolyard we had discovered a few weeks before. It is a small field (100 - 150 ft across) but is fairly long. On the left about 100 ft from where we take off are 2 Pine trees each around 100 ft tall. Oly and i arrived first and I immediatly set up the Slow Stick and flew. Landed and Oly then flew his 3D plane with some impressive near misses and close calls.
Bill and his kidlet showed up and he brought out his Firebird Phantom to teach the kidlet how to fly. Those have that darn ACT system set up (supposedly to help keep the plane in the air) and if you forget to disable it by holding a button on the TX while powering on it makes controlling your plane impossible. It worked as designed and the plane after 2 circuits and loops (unintentional I think) decided to get as close to the vehicle it came in and kissed the asphalt at a high rate of speed. Its a $70 RTF so there really wasn't a lot of anguish over its broken wing. Next up was his Slow Stick. Up and flying a couple of circuits and he was then doing some inverted flight and was getting close to the trees so flipped it upright and started his banking turn away from them. I would have sworn he was going to clear the tree............ not so! it lodged itself about 60 ft up in the branches and refused to budge. Breeze was almost non existant so waiting for the wind was not an option. We went ahead and flew some more planes then our helis. All the helis flew fairly nicely and the breeze was starting to come up.
The Slow Stick had moved a little so a repaired Phantom was called into service.............. The ACT system! That is short for anti crash technology but I believe it stands for Assured Crash Technique. Lanched it and everytime Bill tried to turn the plane back in the direction of the tree......... it looped and headed across the street, over a fire station and into a Pine tree across the way. 2 Planes .......1 day. Plan B was called into service........... The branches were perfect for climbing. Spaced 2 - 3 ft apart and wide open made climbing a possibility but the 12 ft to the first branch made reaching the lower branches a bit harder. After a quick trip to Bills home and grabbing a ladder it was back to the tree and the climb up.
Now keep in mind that i am almost 47 and haven't climbed a tree in over 30 years. However 20 years working at a ski area and 10 years as a carpenter and a painter make me very familiar with ladders. After a 60 ft climb with some quick rest stops on the way up I was on the branch that held the prize! The branch was so thick that jumping up and down on it would not produce enough shake to loosen the plane. Well, there was a smaller branch that was actually in my way so with my brute strength I broke it off and delimbed all but the very end of it. 5 minutes of slapping the wing with the end of the branch it dislodged and was looking like it was going to make it to the ground. DOH!!!! Who put that darn branch down at about 30 ft? As is the case with most trees, as you get closer to the ground the branches get longer and thicker. It looked like the only way to get it now was to try and toss sticks at it and try to dislodge it.

To be continued...................................

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Of all the things I ever lost....................................... I miss my mind the most!
Old 04-29-2008, 09:10 PM
Barrrick

JEEEEEZZZZZZ

NOW I CAN'T WAIT !!! and it only 30 minutes till bed time
Old 04-29-2008, 09:16 PM
choppersrule

Arrow,

Great Story! I can just imagine the heartache and frustration, that you and Oly and Bill went through that day. Climbing trees at sixty foot, YIKES! Not me...

You said, "To be continued". Well, with that said, I'm not a betting man,, ooh, yes I am.. I'll bet that the story ends with you falling out of the tree.... Five bucks on it.. My Word is Good...[)]

Tell Jacki, I said Hi and give her a hug from the Chopper,

Dave / Choppersrule
Old 04-29-2008, 09:31 PM
ArrowNaughtic

Ok.....so to finish the story............
After climbing down to the lower branch it was trapped on, I tried again to stomp and shake the limb. This one was alot bigger and the plane was stuck by the landing gear. No amount of shaking, jumping or wriggling out closer and bouncing up and down produced even the slightest effect.
I managed to find a dead limb about 5 ft above me that I broke off and tried to spear the plane out of the branch. No luck and all I did was give the guys on the ground ammo to toss back up into the tree where i was sitting. They had also found a soccer ball that they were tossing up at it. (It was still about 30 ft up) After the soccer ball also got stuck I realized how tired i was getting. I had been in the tree for about 30 minutes and knew that i needed to get my old body out of the tree under my own power and not let gravity do it for me. As a last ditch effort, I found one short dead branch (16 inches) and managed to break it off. Leaned as far forward as I could and gave it a slight underhand toss. A perfect shot and the tree released most of the plane and let it fall to the ground. The prop had survived the landing in the tree, my brutal beating 30 ft above and the stick hitting it square on. It did not survive the nose in to the ground........ broke upon impact. The landing gear also remained in the tree. But we had success! New RX, and ESC were saved as well as the plane itself. It will have to be a hand launcher untill new gear is built but will easily take off with hand launches and the prop saver will help keep the prop intact on belly landings.
So ends the first story of the year my friends......... it was a good day to discover that even at my age....trees can still be conquered. Now it it was a cat in the tree, we would have left it. As Bill said.....how many cat skeletons does one see in the trees around?

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Of all the things I ever lost....................................... I miss my mind the most!
Old 04-29-2008, 09:36 PM
choppersrule

Arrow,

Great story, great ending.... Crap, guess I owe ya 5 bucks.... LOL. Glad all things worked out for everyone.

Later,

Dave / Choppersrule
Old 04-29-2008, 10:11 PM
crashcrash

Had me in suspense most of the day. I would have figured an unscheduled trip to the local ER for a broken bone or two. Had my share of planes and heli's stuck in trees also...so I know where you were (LMAO).
Old 04-30-2008, 02:13 AM
ArrowNaughtic

LOL.......... I couldn't resist dragging that one out. I knew the minds would come up with some gruesome and gory endings........ Hope you guys had as much fun with that one as i did!
Wheeeeeeeeee........... Happiness in a tree........heh!
Jacki says hi again Dave!

Old 04-30-2008, 03:04 AM
Crusader23
My Feedback: (1)

I was going to go study, but I ended up reading your story. Good one! Post some more stories, so we have something interesting and suspenseful to read.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:58 PM
theradioflyer

That's good stuff right there, I don't care who you are! I'm glad it ended happily though. I just wish trees would stay put and stop jumping out in front of our stuff. I think it's some kind of conspiracy in which the bite is truly worse than the bark.[X(]

God Bless Y'all,

Jay
Old 04-30-2008, 08:26 PM
rayelljay

Ray 'ere,
I realise I may be regarded as somewhat of a traitor for this but......
The CPs are demanding a bit too much of my flight time and it's getting on my bloody nerves.
I've been seriously considering purchasing another CP size machine with better mechanics and I've seen references to the Honey Bee King as being on a par or better than the Blade.....Oh! Heresy....burn the bugger at the stake.........
I can read all the "paid for by the company" reviews I need but Gentlefolk like you have opinions I would hold with more value.
Crash and Arrow, you know me as being a mite finnicky but the attraction to a belt or shaft drive to the tail cannot be resisted for long....I love the Rex and the 400 and I've seen these helis HBs for less than a new Pro.
Can I use the Blade LiPos in the HB...?...The servos look similar....are they interchangeable.....if possible, I'd like to take advantage of the organ donor system. I've seen some good photos of the machine and it seems quite solid....what do you guys think. I've seen references to a shaft drive to the tail somewhere or am I off the wall here.
For me, the Rex needs our local flying field, the 400 can be flown in my front yard but the CP sized machine is just about perfect for what I have at home.
Any guidance you may offer would be very much appreciated......
Oh, anyone know if the ball links are the same diameter as the CP Pro. (No tools available for working with 'em)
I think that's what killed the CNC swashplate balls causing my problems....I think the balls are aluminum and not stainless and my fingernails being too flexible had me make a wedge shaped tool from tool steel to separate the link from the ball and it probably gouged them....oh well, one lives and learns and goes on.
Enough of this rambling...I'll leave you alone now....gonna rain this weekend so I'll have my On3 2-8-0 in surgery.
Be safe.....
Ray
Old 04-30-2008, 09:02 PM
crashcrash

ORIGINAL: rayelljay

Ray 'ere,
I realise I may be regarded as somewhat of a traitor for this but......
The CPs are demanding a bit too much of my flight time and it's getting on my bloody nerves.
I've been seriously considering purchasing another CP size machine with better mechanics and I've seen references to the Honey Bee King as being on a par or better than the Blade.....Oh! Heresy....burn the bugger at the stake.........
I can read all the "paid for by the company" reviews I need but Gentlefolk like you have opinions I would hold with more value.
Crash and Arrow, you know me as being a mite finnicky but the attraction to a belt or shaft drive to the tail cannot be resisted for long....I love the Rex and the 400 and I've seen these helis HBs for less than a new Pro.
Can I use the Blade LiPos in the HB...?...The servos look similar....are they interchangeable.....if possible, I'd like to take advantage of the organ donor system. I've seen some good photos of the machine and it seems quite solid....what do you guys think. I've seen references to a shaft drive to the tail somewhere or am I off the wall here.
For me, the Rex needs our local flying field, the 400 can be flown in my front yard but the CP sized machine is just about perfect for what I have at home.
Any guidance you may offer would be very much appreciated......
Oh, anyone know if the ball links are the same diameter as the CP Pro. (No tools available for working with 'em)
I think that's what killed the CNC swashplate balls causing my problems....I think the balls are aluminum and not stainless and my fingernails being too flexible had me make a wedge shaped tool from tool steel to separate the link from the ball and it probably gouged them....oh well, one lives and learns and goes on.
Enough of this rambling...I'll leave you alone now....gonna rain this weekend so I'll have my On3 2-8-0 in surgery.
Be safe.....
Ray
Ray...the HoneyBee King v2 is a good choice in the 300 class heli. Be advised, you must upgrade to a brushless motor and ESC. A good bet is the E-Sky 3800kv motor and 25a ESC as a starter. I've owned a total of 3 or 4 HBKII's, they're great. As far as using the S-75's or other stuff off the CP-Pro....I don't advise it (that's what makes it junk in the first place is the electronics). Here is a link:

http://www.jaghobbies.com/rc_planes/17a_3900.htm

He has pretty good prices. The servos for this heli are like $7.00 ea and take a whipping. I'm running them in my MX-400, they're fine. Personally, I'll be latching on to a T-Rex in a month or so, and I'll most likely stick to that for a long period. The HBKII is GOOD, parts are cheap, but it has a real problem with any wind above 3mph. The MX-400, I've had in the air in 20mph winds (wasn't fun...but do-able). The "Belt CP" is another viable option and it has wind tolerence but is more in the 400 class than the 300 class. Arrow had no luck with the HBKII, mine (all 3 of them) were great. All I can say is.....scope them out. Dollar for Dollar, the HBKII is hard to beat.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:21 AM
Barrrick

Mr. RAY

As one transplanted BRIT POM or whatever, and the OLDEST as well :

I have never worked on HBK-2 but VIC fixed mine (one of TWO)

they are both the ones I fly all the time. [ go back the thread for pictures.]

I think they ARE THE BEST......of course my ONE TREX has one flight on it but it INTIMIDATES me still

DEFINITELY I CAN RECOMMEND the HONEY BEES

signed: one OLD COCKNEY LONDONER PEARLY KING
Old 05-01-2008, 06:24 PM
choppersrule

Ray,

I concur with Crashcrash and Barrrick on the HBK2. Crashcrash mentioned to upgrade to a brushless motor, he's 100% right on that. The stock brushed motors are el-junko...

Also, Crashcrash mentioned a 3800kv motor, the only problem with that particular motor is that it is larger in diameter than the 3900Kv and won't fit in the motor tray of the main frame without modifications to the main frame or a spacing washer is needed. I'd recommend what Jags has to offer with the 3900Kv.. That's what I'm using now and you get plenty of power.

However, Jaghobbies does have an upgraded HBK2 RTF with the brushless and ESC...

Also, Jags, carries all the spare things and upgraded CNC stuff, batteries, etc.. Like one stop shopping, been using Jags for sometime and thrilled with the 3 day shipping. He charges 15 bucks for shipping of a Helicopter. And only 3 bucks for parts ordering, regardless of how many parts, batteries etc. Jim is a straight up kinda guy.

See this page of his site, for 199 plus the 15 shipping, you're good to go.. Oh, BTW, the HBK2 is one of my all time favorites.
Page down and see all the parts and neat stuff too.

http://www.jaghobbies.com/rc_planes/ek1h-e016a_cart.htm

Dave / Choppersrule

Old 05-01-2008, 06:51 PM
scottwalton

Hi Fellas,

Finally back from my conference and vacation trip to the great Southwest. I attended the National Association of Broadcasters convention in Las Vegas, then a week of vacation in Death Valley and parts west. Anyway, who would have thought that I would see heli stuff at the convention. Of course, there were some full scale news helicopters in the convention center but this is what I photographed for you all to see. How about this r/c heli, nitro, camera platform? It holds an HD camera in the nose and has apparently been used to help film some recent James Bond and other action/adventure movies.

So, I'm back to my Blade CP+ and will start working on it tomorrow morning trying to replace some of the parts that were giving me fits hoping to get my flight times back to where they were before I replaced the main frame and added the MH A/R gear and shaft. You also may remember it got much noisier after these parts replacements too so I'm looking to quiet things back down.

Best to all,

Scott
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44670.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	343.0 KB
ID:	941076   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm39010.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	334.5 KB
ID:	941077   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns43653.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	346.5 KB
ID:	941078   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kd89949.jpg
Size:	337.9 KB
ID:	941079   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jv14549.jpg
Size:	376.3 KB
ID:	941080  
Old 05-01-2008, 07:50 PM
choppersrule

Scott,

Welcome back.. Holy Cow, I gotta get one of those! Great pictures, thanks so much for sharing them.

It really is amazing how RC Helicopters are used in different industries..and what they are truly capable of.. Not just hovering in the garage!

On the Blade CP+, check every tiny little part, one at a time... Need help just post.

Later,

Dave / Choppersrule
Old 05-01-2008, 08:00 PM
rayelljay

Barrick,
The oldest...?...you or me...? My DOB = June 14 1944.
Born Middlesborough, Yorkshire. Then to Bedford, then Poole, Dorset. As a musician, I got to know London 'cos that's where the decent jazz clubs were. Met Tommy Steele at one gig...played with Dud Moore at another. Funny thing was that I never really liked "American" music but was drawn more to the Continental influence. Our music was definitely not your 2 min 30 sec. pop standard but gave the audience much more. At that time I was playing Hammond Organ...that's why I appreciate the Peddlers (the first British band to play in Vegas...!).
My passion was photography but all my good stuff was "purged" from the house by Mum when I went "international". Bloody shame really but I now have my Canon digital SLR hooked up to a nice Meade 8" Schmidt Cassegrain 'scope on a Celestron mount so I can do stuff after the Sun goes down.
Many thanks for your feedback regarding the HBK-2. I went to Jag's site and looked at the offerings.
I've been leaning towards a bare-bones chopper....learned that Blade may release a 400 sans electronics too...somewhere around mid-June.
After I leave here I'm going to see what alternatives are available with the HBK.....Brushless....?...I wouldn't consider anything less.
RC....I have a 600i for the 400's and a DX7 for the Rex. The 6i came with the Blade and the 7 and it was my choice and it is toward a 7 compatible RX I'm leaning.
Batteries....I have two 2100's for the Rex and two 1800's for the 400 machine. I'm quite capable of making any adapters necessary, so could I use any of my existing LiPo's as additional fuel...? All the batteries are 20C's.
Please forgive my electrical ignorance....I'm a mechanical guy at heart and I use mechanical logic.
Wonder what we'll do as we evolve on this board...lot of us use the Pro on the way to other machines but we stay right here....some of the stories and processes are worth a novel. We are a diverse bunch who's paths intersect right here.....fun ain't it.
Well. got to go to harass Jags and then out to play....guitar tonight for a change (go to the Burns guitars English site and look for the 40th anniversary Hank Marvin to see what Emma looks like). My 1960 Burns stays at home and only comes out on State Occasions.
Gentlemen, farewell from the Darkside.
Ray
Old 05-01-2008, 10:01 PM
Barrrick

quote Mr. RAY

yes, 'tis a STRANGE mix here
I will say that 27 April 1937 still gives me the # 1 Senior rank in this thread ...[)]
you're just another kid, like Dave and Vic...... ha
But I am willing to SELL that enviable position for a dish of beans......( offer of Biblical proportions )

We're also musical folk remarkably, you and I. Piano and Clarinet are my main divertissements. My Clarinet is a perfect Buffet R-13, quite like Bent Fabric sound (Stranger on the Shore),
a fan of SIDNEY BECHET (P'tite fleur - 1950s decade) Artie Shaw, Benny Goodman, up to Pete Fountain, what an INSTRUMENT !!!
HELI STUFF :
I firmly believe that you will be happy with a HBK-2....... ESPECIALLY if you follow the recommendations that CRASH-CRASH (Vic Firman) will freely give you. I had one of them
bucking like a wild bronco, and when he returned it it is most definitely the smoothest flyer. Vic is a good friend, and so are the rest of my Brothers in this Band. They have HELPED,
encouraged and sustained my interest in this phase for more than ONE YEAR....we began in FEB 2007. There have been reports that people have READ every post in this thread of
6000 + posts...
it may interest you to know that I have followed the ADVISE received and actually have a Nitro Powered RAPTOR helicopter. I was told that it is much EASIER to learn to fly with this larger model. In fact, that is TRUE, since on only the THIRD TANK of fuel it was possible for me to hover, fly forward, pirouette and hold NOSE IN, quite well. I haven't had another opportunity to go out since that flight was done, and it is now more than a couple of months ago. I want to kick myself for not having made a film of that particular flight. Having LEARNED to fly on the RAPTOR I plan to return to the Electrics, thusly assuring myself of less (hopefully NONE) accidents or breakage.
Oh, well.........WELCOME to the Band of Brothers # 2

Old 05-01-2008, 10:34 PM
crashcrash

ORIGINAL: Barrrick

quote Mr. RAY

yes, 'tis a STRANGE mix here
I will say that 27 April 1937 still gives me the # 1 Senior rank in this thread ...[)]
you're just another kid, like Dave and Vic...... ha
But I am willing to SELL that enviable position for a dish of beans......( offer of Biblical proportions )

We're also musical folk remarkably, you and I. Piano and Clarinet are my main divertissements. My Clarinet is a perfect Buffet R-13, quite like Bent Fabric sound (Stranger on the Shore),
a fan of SIDNEY BECHET (P'tite fleur - 1950s decade) Artie Shaw, Benny Goodman, up to Pete Fountain, what an INSTRUMENT !!!
HELI STUFF :
I firmly believe that you will be happy with a HBK-2....... ESPECIALLY if you follow the recommendations that CRASH-CRASH (Vic Firman) will freely give you. I had one of them
bucking like a wild bronco, and when he returned it it is most definitely the smoothest flyer. Vic is a good friend, and so are the rest of my Brothers in this Band. They have HELPED,
encouraged and sustained my interest in this phase for more than ONE YEAR....we began in FEB 2007. There have been reports that people have READ every post in this thread of
6000 + posts...
it may interest you to know that I have followed the ADVISE received and actually have a Nitro Powered RAPTOR helicopter. I was told that it is much EASIER to learn to fly with this larger model. In fact, that is TRUE, since on only the THIRD TANK of fuel it was possible for me to hover, fly forward, pirouette and hold NOSE IN, quite well. I haven't had another opportunity to go out since that flight was done, and it is now more than a couple of months ago. I want to kick myself for not having made a film of that particular flight. Having LEARNED to fly on the RAPTOR I plan to return to the Electrics, thusly assuring myself of less (hopefully NONE) accidents or breakage.
Oh, well.........WELCOME to the Band of Brothers # 2

LOL.....yeah, it would be tough to find a kid on here older than you Rick. BTW.....I might have a little knowlege with these helis.....but I still get my butt kicked, but not for very long. Got me a rudder prob with the 180deg MX400, and the Bell 222 (MX400) has been handing it to me for over a month now. The first flight with the 222, it wouldn't fly higher than 3ft full power using 2200mAh 20C's (finally got that part fixed). Now I just have to go through and fix all the little things that keep popping up. Like the Huey....there's a "shake down" period I have to go through before it's right. The major difference here is...the 222 is WORSE than the Huey in every possible way. Had a couple of decient flights tonight with the 180 MX-400 even in a 10mph wind. Loose deans connector got me once though....3ft up, the motor just quit...no flight controls...nothing. She planted pretty hard on the skids but stayed upright and NO damage other than my ego. Good thing it didn't happen on one of my highspeed fly-by's, could'a been a lot worse.
Old 05-02-2008, 02:24 PM
rayelljay

I will happily relinquish the "Most Senior" title I hold in my office to Noble Elder Barrick....(Bowing and the bended knee things are out though).
Clarinet, eh...? used to listen to Chris Barber when I was a young'un and I do remember Petite Fleur...loved the way he used a banjo as a "timekeeper". Couldn't get into "New Orleans" jazz too much...didn't appeal to me having the bass played by a tuba. Chris's band was much easier on the ear. Remember the six-five special...? and when Doctor Who was a live studio production. I did build a cam controlled Dalek for the school science fair.
Yeah, I've been told that the larger non-electric machines are somewhat easier to fly and it's not difficult to understand the reasons why...moments of inertia and all that stuff. I know the neighbours would go ballistic if I attempted to fly one around the homestead. My LHS has a number of them in various sizes both new and used at quite reasonable prices but flying one would entail a 45 min. drive and a nasty park ranger. He pitched a fit when I put my EC-12 in the water...."lake is for paying customers only" and "frightening the wildlife" were two of his arguments....for a bloody RC sailboat already....!
I have a test to conduct this weekend....a friend bought a nice powered PT-109 and asked me what would make it "go fast".....HE he he he...do you realise that helicopter blades make real nice hydrofoils. So I went out and bought a set of CF blades and reworked them into a set of centre supported foils....reworked the two motor setup with flexible driveshafts to get a better prop angle. If nothing else, it looks great...as to whether it performs we'll have to wait and see.
Well, the sun as approaching the yardarm so I'm getting out of here.
Later gentlemen,
Ray.
Old 05-02-2008, 02:55 PM
crashcrash

"He pitched a fit when I put my EC-12 in the water...."lake is for paying customers only" and "frightening the wildlife" were two of his arguments".

Those in charge always seem to lack "common sense" and real intellegence, this has been my experience.[)]
Old 05-02-2008, 05:22 PM
scottwalton

Gentlemen,

Please help with throttle surging (glitching?)

So, I started working on the CP+ after two weeks away. I removed the MH A/R gear and reinstalled the stock main gear/shaft (that upgrade seemed noisy and also seemed to reduce flight times). She's now back to the nice quiet sound from before. Test hovering in the garage I noticed some quick forward pitching. No glitch in any other direction. I did some searching here and concluded I should replace both motors as they had enough hours on them anyway (had recently replaced all 3 original S-75s). That seemed to do the trick on the forward pitching.

Then, off to the Basketball gym (too windy outside today) to fly in a larger space. I've been noticing lately that I couldn't ever get the tail to stop seeking or twitching. Regardless of what combination of proportional and gyro settings I tried. When it was new it was very nice in this regard though so that's been an unwelcome change. Well, while making many test hops tweaking the tail, the throttle started surging terribly. I mean real aggressive, like you took the stick and jammed it for just a second then back to where it was. Of course, when this happens the tail doesn't hold so I'm fighting yaw too. This was real scary and unpredictable. It did it on several different batteries so I just decided to quit and come home to post here for help.

I put 3 new s-75s on when I replaced the main frame several weeks ago and also put on a new swash. So it has lots of new, but still stock, parts. Hope someone has an idea what to try next. It has really deteriorated and now I'm scared to fly it in the current condition.

Thanks,

Scott

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.