Community
Search
Notices
Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

BIG LAMA

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 01:46 PM
Buz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BIG LAMA

ORIGINAL: btm123

On E-sky's website they have a link about identifying fakes.
http://en.esky-sz.cn/search.html

I can't actually get the form to work, but most of the stuff I have bought DOESN'T have the extra anti-fake code, so I can only assume one thing.
Some of it does, and it would have been nice to get confirmation they were genuine rather than just being slightly better fakes!

I now have my new stock inner shaft to try replacing the Xtreme one with, but that also looks to be fake too. Interestingly it has a single slot in it, yet the original one I took off my big lama had 2.

Of course, the fake stuff may all work perfectly anyway, but it certainly doesn't help with my troubleshooting. [img][/img]

Hope this is of some help to you all anyway. I'll let you know how I get on if I get time over the weekend.

Oh, great! I wonder if this is the only fake stuff. I guess if you order now, you need to ask to see the extra anti fake code before you buy. Where did you buy the shafts? If you payed for them using Paypal you can report the transaction to them and they WILL get your money back! Just file a dispute. If you used a credit card, file a dispute on the charges. They will probably just take it off of your credit card bill.

Good luck.... let us know if the fake "stock" shaft fits.

Buzz
Old 08-27-2010, 02:01 PM
btm123

It was an online store in the UK.
I'll leave it at that for now, as I've emailed them and would like to give them the opportunity to reply.

They could have just as easily had the wool pulled over their eyes - goodness knows what the procedure is for importing stuff from China.

P.S. Someone asked earlier if it had an email address on it - none of my stuff does. Or did you mean web address?
The cardboard just says E_Sky logo with www.esky-sz.cn next to it in all cases.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:44 PM
aircrash

ORIGINAL: btm123

Of course, the fake stuff may all work perfectly anyway, but it certainly doesn't help with my troubleshooting.
Hi again Kevin -if I say right,

Let`s concetrate to the problem itself.

Ithink the problem is you have wobble on the inner shaft while parts are new (never crashed).
Is that so?
The problem is present even if you remove the flybar and the blades.
Do I remember right?
The lower gear does not spin right but has a wobble or something.
Right?

OK, here`s my ideas on what to check.

1. check if the motor has a bent shaft, so its pinion spins with wobble, so this makes the gear to wobble and this makes the inner shaft wobbling.
To check remove the motor, or just move it far from the gear, then spin the shaft by hand while the (top) bearing cup is fitted, and see if now the gear spins right.
Also run the motor (remove the other motor`s plug so it cannot run) while is far away from the gear and see if its shaft wobbles.

2. Check if the lower gear is warped and/or poorly installed.
Again see as above. Turn by hand while it is not making contact to the motor`s pinion.

3. Check if the upper gear has a bearing installed into.
It must have, or else the lower gear cannot spin right as it is not guided well.

4. Check if the outer shaft is bent.
If it is then the inner shaft will wobble as badly -and more- as the outer shaft.
Remove the head and the bearing cup, remove the lower gear`s corresponding motor`s plug (so it cannot spin) and run the (other) motor at low speed. Watch the outer shaft.
It must not wobble at all. A very slight wobble is acceptable, that is present only at very low speed and it is vanished at medium ones. But I mean a very slight one.

5. Check if the head is bent or has a manufacturing problem.
Remove the upper blade grips, remove the head. While all other are installed right and both motors run check if the inner shaft wobbles or not.
If it does not then install the head only, not the blade grips, and run again the motors. See if it still does not wobble.

6. If there is not any problem then assemble all the parts, fit new blades and a straight flybar and check if the upper blades track OK.
If they do not track OKthen you have to adjust the flybar link rod, till the blades track OK.
Then you`re ready.

I assume the motors run with the proper direction and the bird can lift off.
Also I assume the gear mesh is right. Check it in a whole turn of the gear. It is normal to have a very slight difference in its whole turn. In a point it may be tight and in another loose. Adjust it at the point it is tight.
This is normal, you can`t have 100% the same clearance in a whole turn. A very slight difference may be present. But by the time it gets the same (as wear acts positive).

Notice that in most cases the motors are not properly tightened, and in most cases you have to tighten their bolts.

Spiros

Old 08-27-2010, 09:00 PM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: aircrash
Hi again Kevin -if I say right,
Let`s concetrate to the problem itself.
I think the problem is you have wobble on the inner shaft while parts are new (never crashed).
Is that so?
The problem is present even if you remove the flybar and the blades.
Do I remember right?
The lower gear does not spin right but has a wobble or something.
Right?
OK, here`s my ideas on what to check.
1. check if the motor has a bent shaft, so its pinion spins with wobble, so this makes the gear to wobble and this makes the inner shaft wobbling.
To check remove the motor, or just move it far from the gear, then spin the shaft by hand while the (top) bearing cup is fitted, and see if now the gear spins right.
Also run the motor (remove the other motor`s plug so it cannot run) while is far away from the gear and see if its shaft wobbles.
2. Check if the lower gear is warped and/or poorly installed.
Again see as above. Turn by hand while it is not making contact to the motor`s pinion.
3. Check if the upper gear has a bearing installed into.
It must have, or else the lower gear cannot spin right as it is not guided well.
4. Check if the outer shaft is bent.
If it is then the inner shaft will wobble as badly -and more- as the outer shaft.
Remove the head and the bearing cup, remove the lower gear`s corresponding motor`s plug (so it cannot spin) and run the (other) motor at low speed. Watch the outer shaft.
It must not wobble at all. A very slight wobble is acceptable, that is present only at very low speed and it is vanished at medium ones. But I mean a very slight one.
5. Check if the head is bent or has a manufacturing problem.
Remove the upper blade grips, remove the head. While all other are installed right and both motors run check if the inner shaft wobbles or not.
If it does not then install the head only, not the blade grips, and run again the motors. See if it still does not wobble.
6. If there is not any problem then assemble all the parts, fit new blades and a straight flybar and check if the upper blades track OK.
If they do not track OK then you have to adjust the flybar link rod, till the blades track OK.
Then you`re ready.
I assume the motors run with the proper direction and the bird can lift off.
Also I assume the gear mesh is right. Check it in a whole turn of the gear. It is normal to have a very slight difference in its whole turn. In a point it may be tight and in another loose. Adjust it at the point it is tight.
This is normal, you can`t have 100% the same clearance in a whole turn. A very slight difference may be present. But by the time it gets the same (as wear acts positive).
Notice that in most cases the motors are not properly tightened, and in most cases you have to tighten their bolts.
Hey again Spiros,

Great summary mate! On first reading I think you have included most of the points of the "drive train"[sm=thumbs_up.gif]....[sm=wink_smile.gif]

Peter[sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 08-27-2010, 11:25 PM
erdnuckel2

Ma bad ... that is what I meant ... I meant to say web address, however it became email ... sorry bout that !! I took a look at the "How to identify a fake" site from your link. The one thing I ask myself reading that is how long it is going to take until the "pirates" fake the "anti-fake-code" ??

Or maybe the pirates are paid by the manufacturers to make people say "well, if there are all those fakes out there, then I prefer paying a few bucks more to know my stuff is genuine..." and as quick as you cant even blink we have significantly higher prices and their acceptance ... all across the board ... hmmmmm ???

(or is that too much of a conspiracy theory ???)
Old 08-28-2010, 01:25 AM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: erdnuckel2
Ma bad ... that is what I meant ... I meant to say web address, however it became email ... sorry bout that !! I took a look at the ''How to identify a fake'' site from your link. The one thing I ask myself reading that is how long it is going to take until the ''pirates'' fake the ''anti-fake-code'' ??
Or maybe the pirates are paid by the manufacturers to make people say ''well, if there are all those fakes out there, then I prefer paying a few bucks more to know my stuff is genuine...'' and as quick as you cant even blink we have significantly higher prices and their acceptance ... all across the board ... [img][/img] hmmmmm ???
(or is that too much of a conspiracy theory ???)
Hey again Sven,

Not a great leap in logic mate! Probably what is happening - but in the grand scheme of things a parts price increase is the least of our worries.........

P.S. Was the moon-landing faked??[sm=50_50.gif]
Old 08-28-2010, 06:29 AM
aircrash

Hi Peter,

Well, thank you!

Now some good news for me!
After about 3 months Imanaged to find some time to fly one of my BOLs. The boardless brushless one.
It was a bit windy though, so this made the attempt more difficult. But as I can see it is like riding a bike, once learnt never forgotten (or so).
It is not my best flight, but I think it was a success after so long time.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iU9h0wNyq_M[/youtube]

At least it shows I found some time to spend with it -except of changing diapers!
Now I wish I could find time to build the #2 boardless brushless BOL from scratch. All the parts are being waiting for so looong time...

Happy flying,

Spiros
Old 08-28-2010, 08:41 PM
erdnuckel2

well,

after a long time I can actually contribute something "exciting" to this thread (well, exciting for me anyway .):
I finally managed to finish a project that I had in my mind for a very long time ... a Skytec pod-and-boom BOL! (At least I finished the first stage, as this project could only be called a TRUE success once the bird flies brushless ...

anyway:
please,
<div style="text-align: center;">MEET QUEZTALCOATL!!!</div><div style="text-align: left;">
I am sooo happy I got to finish it today ... and of course on the first flight test I crashed it and broke the landing gear ... oh well, another 5$ down the drain ...

But Igot a couple really nice pictures

(and if anybody is interested in more detail, it can be found in my blog on RCGroups ...(sorry, I started blogging there and I wont be able to do that in more than one "spot" ...)

</div>
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82662.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	1491806   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86073.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	1491807  
Old 08-29-2010, 10:54 AM
Buz

ORIGINAL: pgroom_68

P.S. Was the moon-landing faked??[sm=50_50.gif]
Oh, no! Not one of those non-believers again! LOL No, it wasn't faked. No way to keep that many people quiet. But we have been visited more than once by extra terrestrials. They left a lot of stuff behind. Just google "The Nasca Lines" to see one place. There's a lot more too.

Buzz

Old 08-29-2010, 02:34 PM
btm123

I had a spare hour earlier to take the Big Lama apart again, and to go through the various suggestions you guys have helpfully made.
I took it all apart.

First I removed the inner shaft and top blades and spun it up - and it was wobbling in exactly the same way.

I then took outer shaft out and checked the motors - these are not bent at all.

I then put just another outer shaft and gear on and spun it up (no blades or anything). This showed to be clearly not straight, and the root of all my problems I believe.

I believe because of the amount of force required to get the shaft into the gear, it is impossible to get the gear on straight. Both the ones I've tried are not straight. Following on from the posts earlier I suspect these are either faulty or fake, as I can't believe they should have to be forced on.

I didn't do any more on this, as I dont think I can proceed until I have an outer shaft I have confidence in.

I'm still not sure the xtreme shafts are 100% straight, to the naked eye at least, but I am certain the outer gear is the main cause of the problems.

So, I'm a bit stuck until I can source some new outer shafts and gears from a reputable supplier.

To avoid any continual doubt over fake esky parts, I think I might just order some Xtreme outer shafts and gears as well from Miracle Mart. Are these just like for like fit on the Esky stock parts, or is there anything I need to be aware of? I seem to remember reading about different washers or something? Are the Xtreme outer shafts/gears recommended over stock stuff?

Thanks again for all your help guys
Old 08-29-2010, 03:43 PM
aircrash

Hi Sven,

It looks good!
Well done!
Good flights I wish.

Hi Kevin,

so the outer shaft is bent. This makes many problems indeed.
But I can`t think a spare (new) shaft could be bent.

Now it needs some force so it can be inserted into the gear. This is normal. More enough it is a bit difficult to remove a gear from the shaft (imagine how hard it is to insert it).
But beware that the gear is not round but has a flat spot on it (on the shaft housing). You must insert the shaft with its flat spot facing the gear`s flat spot.
This makes the gear not to spin and helps a lot, as the tiny bolts that are fitted there could not handle all the power without the help of the flat spot.
Once it gets installed right then the gear spins perfectly and the shaft is almost 100% straight, if not 100%.

Maybe the gear is damaged. Someone had inserted the shaft in a wrong way and now this flat spot has been damaged.
I would suggest to buy a new gear also (edit, it comes as a set anyway, I mean use a new gear). Because a bad shaft housing can make the gear spin badly and maybe this makes the shaft to have some wobble (although it cannot make it spin like it was bent).
Remember that in this gear you must fit a bearing too. You can use the old one, but it is a bit tricky to get it out. It is a 3*6*2mm.

I myself get the gear on the table, get the shaft vertically with the flat spots facing each other, place a piece of wood above the shaft and tap it until the holes for the bolts come aligned.
If I want to remove a gear from the shaft then I place the shaft on an old (broken) frame that has old bearings on it and start moving the shaft up &amp; down till it is removed. So the gear is not damaged and can be used many times.

The xtreme outer shaft needs to be paired with an xtreme (outer shaft) gear. But comes as a set anyway. Just make sure you install it as a set.
Ihave never bought one though.
I have bought a lot of stock outer shafts and stock gears though.

Spiros

Old 08-29-2010, 04:29 PM
btm123

Hi Spiros,
Thanks for that. I believe I've followed all of that. I have lined up the slot too.
Interesting that you confirm it is tricky to insert the shaft into the gear though - someone else was saying should be easy, I as I would have thought.

It is difficult to say (for me at least) whether wobble in a shaft with no load on it is acceptable or not. But I have seen yuotube videos of people using a felt tip pen to show whether a shaft is bent, and I believe mine would have failed that test. The test I refer to is holding the pen until it touches then checking of the ink goes all the way around the shaft. To the touch I can feel vibration on the shaft.

If this vibration isn't coming from the shaft I dont know where it is coming from. As I say, the motors both run smooth on their own. The only other thing with just the lower shaft present would be bearings, but I'm pretty sure I changed them too rather than reusing.

I think I will go down the xtreme route. Hopefully I will find these easier to put together.
P.S. it isn't just me either. The guy I bought them from made a gear/shaft up for me and sent it out with my new inner shaft. The one he made, by tapping with a screwdriver, I am unable to get a bearing to go over the shaft. I assume this is becasue he damaged the top of the shaft hitting it with a screwdriver.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:59 AM
Edmund2

Kevin, invest in a needle file set and 2000 grit sandpaper, it works fine getting rid of burrs on the edges as well as those where the flat spots were cut into the shatand the sandpaper make getting through the bearings a bit easier. Also striaghten the shatfs with the hole into wood method described. I had the same trouble when I did the extreme shaft mod on my UBOL and all the advise given worked perfectly.

Sven, great looking bird, pity about the crash. About 8 days more of wind then it should die down for me to fly again.</p>

</p>

Edmund2
Very late edit: Wiifey and Mrs Nextdoor finishing the wedding dress so I pulled a Spiros and got some night flying in on the first windless night in months.</p>
Old 09-01-2010, 05:29 PM
pgroom_68

I myself get the gear on the table, get the shaft vertically with the flat spots facing each other, place a piece of wood above the shaft and tap it until the holes for the bolts come aligned.
Hey again Kevin,

I must say that I have just tried the method that Spiros outlined [in the above quote], and it works wonderfully well!![sm=thumbs_up.gif]
I am using an older Xtreme shaft (bought before Christmas and stored) that I have straightened by drilling it through a block of wood 2" deep that I pre-drilled with a two-sizes smaller drill bit[sm=49_49.gif]

P.S. Previously I had been using a modified T-rex 500 flybar - that is 3mm hardened steel with the threads dremeled off the ends, and flat spots carved into it[sm=wink_smile.gif] But there is no guarantee that by the time a parcel arrives at your location any shaft will be 100% straight (although most of them were a few months ago when I was flying more regularly)

Old 09-01-2010, 06:33 PM
Buz

Hey again Kevin,

I must say that I have just tried the method that Spiros outlined [in the above quote], and it works wonderfully well!![sm=thumbs_up.gif]
I am using an older Xtreme shaft (bought before Christmas and stored) that I have straightened by drilling it through a block of wood 2'' deep that I pre-drilled with a two-sizes smaller drill bit[sm=49_49.gif]

P.S. Previously I had been using a modified T-rex 500 flybar - that is 3mm hardened steel with the threads dremeled off the ends, and flat spots carved into it[sm=wink_smile.gif] But there is no guarantee that by the time a parcel arrives at your location any shaft will be 100% straight (although most of them were a few months ago when I was flying more regularly)

Hmmm..... I was going to buy a new stock BOL and sell the rest of mine. But, if I buy one now, I wonder if I'll get bogus aftermarket stuff? I saw it with the shaft/gear problem.... but i want one more new one to fly when I want to relax. What do you think? Is is real, or is Memorex.... errr... Esky oem.

Buzz
Old 09-02-2010, 04:25 AM
pgroom_68

Hey again Buzz,

Seriously don't know mate - to be on the safe side, I would advertise and sell most of your stuff first! This will add enough time to (hopefully) purge any stray parts from the system.....[X(] Remember that the Esky BOL RTF kits have not got these potential probs...!!!!!

Get yourself one flyable [link=http://www.xheli.com/2esbigoulaco.html]BOL[/link] to "relax"!! You don't have to concentrate so hard when you are flying a coaxial, as you know, compared with (say) a Trex 450 clone such as you have got..........[sm=wink_smile.gif] At the same time order yourself an [link=http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270604549684&ssPageNam e=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_2519wt_754]adjustable flybar[/link] (if you haven't already got a spare) and undo the grub screws, remove the weights and wait........[sm=what_smile.gif].........As soon as the bird arrives, cut off the black-plastic-enclosed flybar weights, and slip on the weights from the adjustable flybar. This eliminates any potential probs with binding of the plastic flybar hub - a real pain![:@]
Also, before you fly it seriously tape the fuselage with clear parcel tape in vertical strips nearly overlapping!![sm=49_49.gif]

If you do these easy things before you incur any damage or unbalancing - it will make your Esky Big Lama a lot more durable!!!

We are coming into spring now - so weather will begin to get more favourable for flying. Longer days also - so I will make time for getting the CB180Q I recently obtained off the ground also[sm=thumbs_up.gif]

P.S. How is your Fixed Pitch Walkera CB180D flying?? It is ideal indoors in a larger room or outdoors when the wind has lay down (usually in the ev'nings) ......Or is it all to easy now and not a challenge anymore?????
Old 09-02-2010, 05:18 AM
mikew77

Hi guys

Just a short post to say all my helicopters are flying really great now.  The brushless big lama is still flying vibration free and i am thinking about converting my other big lama too.  I am thinking about buying a 6 channel esky to see how i go.  There are a few i am looking at on rc711.com.  First one is this

http://www.rc711.com/shop/24g-esky-h...th=165_121_124

and the new 3 blade version

http://www.rc711.com/shop/2010-new-2...th=165_121_124  

Just after a cheap basic 6 channel one for now though.  Happy flying everyone

P.S  Peter how is the CB180q going?

Michael
Old 09-02-2010, 06:42 AM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: mikew77
Hi guys
Just a short post to say all my helicopters are flying really great now. The brushless big lama is still flying vibration free and i am thinking about converting my other big lama too. I am thinking about buying a 6 channel esky to see how i go. There are a few i am looking at on rc711.com. First one is this
and the new 3 blade version http://www.rc711.com/shop/2010-new-2...th=165_121_124
Just after a cheap basic 6 channel one for now though. Happy flying everyone
P.S Peter how is the CB180q going?
Hey again Michael,

Sorry, I haven't had time to fly WHEN the weather is allowing (& it is not pouring with rain[:@]) - yet![sm=wink_smile.gif]
As for the linked 6-channel birds - they both look brilliant - but the spare parts are lacking or non-existant for both![sm=49_49.gif] My advice is either to wait a while for the parts release, ...or order yourself a cheap [link=http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?idCategory=320]450 Trex clone[/link] - Hobbyking has a few nice ones - and PM Simon (sgbfly) for a list of the recommended items to complete the "build". I get the distinct impression that is the best way to progress after this coax {and a FP for some fliers!} There are heaps of cheap parts & upgrades out there (try searching ebay[X(]) for these 450 clones and it is just a matter of getting only what you need........

P.S. A lot of the Honeybee CP3 mechanical parts are identical to the Honeybee CPX[sm=50_50.gif] - but they haven't released the two-part canopy as a spare yet!!
Old 09-02-2010, 08:21 AM
Edmund2

ORIGINAL: mikew77
Hi guys
Just a short post to say all my helicopters are flying really great now. The brushless big lama is still flying vibration free and i am thinking about converting my other big lama too. I am thinking about buying a 6 channel esky to see how i go. There are a few i am looking at on rc711.com. First one is this
and the new 3 blade version http://www.rc711.com/shop/2010-new-2...th=165_121_124
Just after a cheap basic 6 channel one for now though. Happy flying everyone
P.SPeter how is the CB180q going?
Hey again Michael,

Sorry, I haven't had time to fly WHEN the weather is allowing (&amp; it is not pouring with rain[:@]) - yet![sm=wink_smile.gif]
As for the linked 6-channel birds - they both look brilliant - but the spare parts are lacking or non-existant for both![sm=49_49.gif] My advice is either to wait a while for the parts release, ...or order yourself a cheap [link=http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?idCategory=320]450 Trex clone[/link] - Hobbyking has a few nice ones - and PM Simon (sgbfly) for a list of the recommended items to complete the "build". I get the distinct impression that is the best way to progress after this coax {and a FP for some fliers!} There are heaps of cheap parts &amp; upgrades out there (try searching ebay[X(]) for these 450 clones and it is just a matter of getting only what you need........

P.S. A lot of the Honeybee CP3 mechanical parts are identical to the Honeybee CPX[sm=50_50.gif] - but they haven't released the two-part canopy as a spare yet!!
Mike, I own 2 x Esky Belt CP V2's and if not mistaken cheaper than other TREX 450 clones with parts readily available from LHS. It lfies great once Igo toopen space to do so and I convinced myself just to get it airborne. Take off and landing is still nerve wrecking and so far I havenot yet flicked the idle up switch but when it is up it flies fantastic. Had a couple of crashes but repairs were relatively cheap and all parts at LHS.

Edmund2
Old 09-02-2010, 10:18 AM
Buz

Hey again Buzz,

Seriously don't know mate - to be on the safe side, I would advertise and sell most of your stuff first! This will add enough time to (hopefully) purge any stray parts from the system.....[X(] Remember that the Esky BOL RTF kits have not got these potential probs...!!!!!

Get yourself one flyable [link=http://www.xheli.com/2esbigoulaco.html]BOL[/link] to ''relax''!! You don't have to concentrate so hard when you are flying a coaxial, as you know, compared with (say) a Trex 450 clone such as you have got..........[sm=wink_smile.gif] At the same time order yourself an [link=http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270604549684&ssPageNam e=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_2519wt_754]adjustable flybar[/link] (if you haven't already got a spare) and undo the grub screws, remove the weights and wait........[sm=what_smile.gif].........As soon as the bird arrives, cut off the black-plastic-enclosed flybar weights, and slip on the weights from the adjustable flybar. This eliminates any potential probs with binding of the plastic flybar hub - a real pain![:@]
Also, before you fly it seriously tape the fuselage with clear parcel tape in vertical strips nearly overlapping!![sm=49_49.gif]

If you do these easy things before you incur any damage or unbalancing - it will make your Esky Big Lama a lot more durable!!!

We are coming into spring now - so weather will begin to get more favourable for flying. Longer days also - so I will make time for getting the CB180Q I recently obtained off the ground also[sm=thumbs_up.gif]

P.S. How is your Fixed Pitch Walkera CB180D flying?? It is ideal indoors in a larger room or outdoors when the wind has lay down (usually in the ev'nings) ......Or is it all to easy now and not a challenge anymore?????
Hi Peter...

Yes, I've been mowing the lawn with the 450 more than flying it. It's always nice to have a BOL to fly because I find it very relaxing. I've been flying mine stock... but it flung a fly bar and broke the top of the plastic head. I guess it's time to install an extended shaft. I do have an adjustable flybar that has never been used. And.... I never did understand how you guys cover the body with clear tape.

Our seasons are doing just the opposite. Days are getting shorter .... and, at the moment we're experiencing a lot of wind that is being turned up by a low pressure system... and it looks like we'll have a near miss with the hurricane that is moving north offshore.

Didn't know you got the CB180Q. Believe me, they don't like wind! I have been flying the 180D ... I fly it outside. I was all over the place with it until I got used to it and got it trimmed well. Hahaha.... no, it's not all easy now. I'm sitting here waiting for parts to arrive for my 450. I landed it so hard it bent the feathering shaft and stripped a gear. I have the feathering shafts.... but not the gear. I can see that it will always be a challenge.

Good to hear from you! Stay in touch.

Buzz
Old 09-02-2010, 11:48 AM
aircrash

ORIGINAL: Buz

It's always nice to have a BOL to fly because I find it very relaxing. I've been flying mine stock... but it flung a fly bar and broke the top of the plastic head. I guess it's time to install an extended shaft. I do have an adjustable flybar that has never been used. And.... I never did understand how you guys cover the body with clear tape.

Our seasons are doing just the opposite. Days are getting shorter .... and, at the moment we're experiencing a lot of wind that is being turned up by a low pressure system... and it looks like we'll have a near miss with the hurricane that is moving north offshore.
Hi Buzz,

It seems we have about the same weather !
It was 31.5<span value="78.8" metric="&deg;C" english="&deg;F" pwsvariable="tempf" pwsunit="metric" pwsid="IATTICAA4" class="pwsrt" style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0);"><span class="nobr"> &deg;C at the afternoon, just as I see it is now (at about the same time) at Florida.
In the past few days it was so hot here, but in the two last it has dropped a lot. So the days start to become shorter</span></span>.

So, how to tape the fuselage. Hmm, I clean the fuselage with glass cleaner and then start applying the tape.
Ithink it is better to test in an old broken one. Then you won`t fear of a broken fuselage, it won`t break, you will have to change the silicone tubes only in case of a crash.

Spiros
Old 09-02-2010, 02:40 PM
btm123

Just to keep everyone who helped me up to date, I ended up narrowing the problem down to a slightly bent inner shaft. Well, all the ones I bought were bent - bad batch apparantly.
I filed the outer shaft enough to get the bearings over it and it flies fine with the stock inner shaft, but wobbles like crazy with any of the extended shafts.

As you know I've been around the houses quite a bit trying to fix this, but I've learned a lot, so thanks for all your help and advice.

Just waiting to get some replacement extended shafts as its a bit too breezy for stock shaft at the moment.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:46 PM
aircrash

Hi Kevin,

Good to hear you have a nice flying BOLthere.
BTW, with an xtreme extended shaft the flybar link rod needs to be adjusted (to another position than with a stock inner shaft). Or else the head will wobble badly as the blades cannot track OK.
I`m sure you have paid much attention on the problem and I`m quite conviced you have checked it right.
But just to make sure you did not miss this step.

Usually when I order a shaft (well I never order just one), either outer or inner, then I order some other parts also, so they come in a box instead of an envelope.
I have been treated with good packaging from both Miracle Mart (too many orders) and RC711 (one order).
Ihave never received a bent shaft.
I have even bought an outer shaft from ebay, came in an envelope, but I had ordered 40x blades too, so the packaging made all these be strength enough.

Good flights !
I think with a good center of gravity and with smooth stick inputs then it will be OK till you get your new extended shaft(s).

Spiros
Old 09-03-2010, 01:22 AM
btm123

Hi Spiros,
Yes, I did lengthen the flybar rods for the xtreme shafts. But you are right to assume nothing in my case
The packaging was very good, just a duff batch sadly. I'm getting replacements from where I ordered out of a good batch so hopefully that will be that.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:58 PM
pgroom_68

Hi Kevin,
Good to hear you have a nice flying BOL there.
BTW, with an xtreme extended shaft the flybar link rod needs to be adjusted (to another position than with a stock inner shaft). Or else the head will wobble badly as the blades cannot track OK.
I`m sure you have paid much attention on the problem and I`m quite conviced you have checked it right.
But just to make sure you did not miss this step.
Usually when I order a shaft (well I never order just one), either outer or inner, then I order some other parts also, so they come in a box instead of an envelope.
I have been treated with good packaging from both Miracle Mart (too many orders) and RC711 (one order).
I have never received a bent shaft.
I have even bought an outer shaft from ebay, came in an envelope, but I had ordered 40x blades too, so the packaging made all these be strength enough.
Good flights !
I think with a good center of gravity and with smooth stick inputs then it will be OK till you get your new extended shaft(s).
Hey again Spiros,

You make a good point! Newbies should always adjust the top link (between flybar & upper blade grips) after a rebuild - so the blades track in their new plane perfectly!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.