Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Official DF-03 Ra Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 06:43 AM
MD6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official DF-03 Ra Thread

This seller on Ebay has a variety of prepainted bodies.<div>http://cgi.ebay.com/1-10-Citroen-C4-Analog-Painted-RC-Car-Body-Red-Blue-/230413919964?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&am p;hash=item35a5bd66dc#ht_2435wt_924</div>
Old 01-27-2011, 06:51 AM
MD6

This seller has the HPI body below and if you Google the part number you'll find other websites have it.<div>
</div><div>https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/seekpart.pl?pn=HPI7412</div>
Old 01-27-2011, 07:13 AM
alexchen86

ORIGINAL: MD6

This seller on Ebay has a variety of prepainted bodies.<div>http://cgi.ebay.com/1-10-Citroen-C4-Analog-Painted-RC-Car-Body-Red-Blue-/230413919964?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&am p;hash=item35a5bd66dc#ht_2435wt_924</div>
Lol...I read on another post this guy ordered 2 bodies from him and was sadly disappointed when they arrived. The lexan was super thin and on top of that he didn't notice that the the decals were not sponsored.

Iremember one of them heing a Subaru WRC....windshield banner and other areas said Subapu

If you don't mind then it's not a bad deal.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:33 AM
Eman77

Hehehe, even in the listing, I see Citreon decals. Not Citroen, but Citreon.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:40 PM
bubbz

ORIGINAL: MD6

This seller has the HPI body below and if you Google the part number you'll find other websites have it.<div>
</div><div>https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/seekpart.pl?pn=HPI7412</div>
that body will fit the df03ra?
Old 01-27-2011, 08:17 PM
MD6

It's a 200mm body so it should be ok.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:46 PM
Casper06

You'll need to fit a wide rim on there to look nice but other than that a 200mm body will fit. It actually looks kinda cool.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:54 PM
Casper06

ORIGINAL: aflipz

I don't know...

It could be I'm a little jaded with RC cars at least at the moment; my complaint doesn't seem to be so popular... It's just that in my opinion/experience is that ball diffs are obsolete. I'm sure when I get it back out there I will love my DF03RA again though so take my rant with a grain of salt...

They all have their pro's and cons. I don't know that I would ever buy anything 2wd though. especially not something designed to go off road. personal taste.
I actually agree with you here. I rather have the standard planetary gears in any off road basher rather than ball diffs. They are just so freaking fussy!
Old 01-28-2011, 05:50 AM
alexchen86

ORIGINAL: Casper06

You'll need to fit a wide rim on there to look nice but other than that a 200mm body will fit. It actually looks kinda cool.
200mm bodies with 6mm front offset wheels and 9mm rear offset wheels look sweet. Or some people choose to run 3mm offset front and 6mm offset rear.

But on my DF-03Ra I only use 190mm bodies since my wheels have zero offset given that I race it on road and also occasionally bash with it in mud and dirt.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:12 PM
bubbz

what is a really good battery for the df03ra kit?
Old 01-29-2011, 07:53 PM
aflipz
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: bubbz

what is a really good battery for the df03ra kit?

Good question, myself and our esteemed fellow forum dwellers need to know a bit more to help guide you in the right direction;

Do you plan on using the provided brushed ESC and motor, or are you going brushless?

What kind of charger do you have, if any?

What are you after? Light weight+crazy speed or not concerned about weight and performance but just want long run times?

Old 01-29-2011, 09:27 PM
bubbz

yeah i got a charger, not sure what kind, but i use it to charge up my airsoft gun, its 7.2v and 8.4v. Im looking for a battery that's provides long run-times, and has overall high performance, im gunna use the stock df03ra esc, so its not brushless

Also, is there a way to increase the wheelbase?
Old 01-29-2011, 09:55 PM
aflipz

yeah i got a charger, not sure what kind, but i use it to charge up my airsoft gun, its 7.2v and 8.4v. Im looking for a battery that's provides long run-times, and has overall high performance, im gunna use the stock df03ra esc, so its not brushless

Also, is there a way to increase the wheelbase?

There is no off the shelf way to extend the wheelbase beyond the longest of the two spec'd on tamiya's website. Besides if you did so the intended bodies would not fit right.

You can increase stance slightly (width) by choosing wheels with more offset.

Your charger is either nicd nimh or both. You cannot and must not attempt to charge lipos with it unless you WANT to burn your neighborhood down.

So you are looking for a 7.2v stick pack composed of 6 nimh or nicd batteries. It's been a good decade since I've shopped around for those, sorry.

When I first got the electric RC bug prices were WAY higher, today you can get a lipo charger, lipo battery and brushless motor/ESC combo AND a 2.4ghz 2ch radio from a certain hobby "royalty" website for about the same price as one would have paid for a brand name entry level radio system alone at a local hobby shop a couple of years ago.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:20 PM
bubbz

would these work nicely?

http://www.amazon.com/3800mAh-Power-...890&amp;sr=1-7

ty
Old 01-29-2011, 10:30 PM
aflipz

would these work nicely?

http://www.amazon.com/3800mAh-Power-...6358890&sr=1-7

ty

For that price you could get two of these;

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...idProduct=9956 (should squeeze in nicely)

and one of these;

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...idProduct=7028

and have some change left over...

(you will need a 12v power supply, and there are faster chargers but I am just showing the inexpensive but functional route.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:38 PM
bubbz

thanks aflipz, much appreciated, hopefully i can get this show on the road soon
Old 01-29-2011, 10:54 PM
aflipz

No problem.

Just be careful if you go with lipos but don't go brushless; typically upgrade brushless controllers have a low voltage cutoff designed for lipos which prevents over-discharging them. (if you over discharge a lipo you may not be able to charge it again or at least considerably compromise it's longevity)

This can easily be avoided; you will feel a distinct dip in power and the car becomes no fun to drive at the end of the run; stop immediately, disconnect pack let it cool and charge it up. Next time, try to catch it earlier in the dip of power if you can. To go one step further, say your first two runs lasted 25 minutes before total power drop; use a timer and set it to say 20-22 minutes. Or just get used to about how long it takes to spot the first signs of a power dip.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:59 AM
MD6

Try HobbyPartz for batteries.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:13 AM
alexchen86

In regards to aflipz great assistance, I also recommend getting a new ESC that has lipo cut off built in. You don't have to blow the bank on a very expensive ESC.

One of the most common and budget oriented ESCs on the market with lipo cut off with the ability to handle up to 4S lipo (although not recommended for extensive runs) is the Castle Creations Sidewinder.

http://www.rpphobby.com/ProductDetai...uctCode=CSESDW

That is by far the cheapest Ihave ever seen a brand new Sidewinder for. Ihave 3 of them. One runs off Castle's 4600kv motor on 2S in my DF-03Ra, another runs a 55T brushed Pro lathe motor on my competition crawler, and third runs a 35Tpro wound brushed motor on my scale truck.

Traxxas XL-5s now have lipo cut off (I just found out last week)

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...rce=google_ext

Downside to Traxxas electronics is they are more geared towards bashers and have no extensive programability that you can use a field card or laptop at the track or competition. Upside is they are waterproof. You can easily waterproof any other ESC as well. Lipo waterproofing is not too difficult either just search YouTube.

As far as lipos go...I have been running a Duratrax 4000mah 2S lipo since my LHS always have them in stock. I know I can find cheaper and better C rated lipos but at the time I just wanted to make sure it could fit in the compartment. With a bit of dremel work you can fit just about any 2S lipo as long as it's a soft pack.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:14 PM
Casper06

If you are going to stick with the stock ESC you could always just run a LiPo cut off like this:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPGM8&P=7
Old 01-30-2011, 10:49 PM
mimicpsycho

Hey guys, I have a sparrowhawk XXB, brushless, its a good car, has had some mechanical issues. But all in all a good car, and fun times to be had. So the story is me and my roomate race in our yard, we made a little track but it is not smooth just dead grass and plenty of little holes but they are not too too bad, some spots are worse than others. So I have been looking into new cars and have foundImpreza WRC Monte Carlo 07: DF03RA, and it looks like a great RC car.

I figure you guys are owners and could maybe help me out, do you think this car can handle some outside off road on dead grass with plenty of little holes? I am just wondering kind of what its capabilities are in the off road area.

Also, can this car do actual jumps? I guess how durable is it?

Also, does this car come with lights on it? Or is that an after market thing that everyone does to it.

Thanks for all of your help, look forward to hearing your responses. Thanks again.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:34 AM
MD6

I think you may want to consider a Traxxas Slash it will take the abuse and jumps of almost any height. You can actually buy a rally body for it. In my opinion you get more for your money and it's good for all terrains.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:42 AM
mimicpsycho

So you think the DF-03 Ra might be not enough for some rough terrain?  It is not that rough but it may be for that car.<div>
</div><div>The slash is a good idea I am going to look into so I can race and bash, and still have a body that makes it look good.</div><div>I just would rather have a real life looking RC car than the buggy look, so that was a good idea, I think thats really cool btw, thanks a bunch man.</div>
Old 01-31-2011, 06:53 AM
MD6

I look of the scale rally cars. The Slash comes in several cost levels and all the hobby shops carry parts in stock. Here's the Pro-Line body.<div>http://prolineracing.com/bodies/14rs-clear-body/</div><div>
</div><div>
</div>
Old 01-31-2011, 08:19 AM
mimicpsycho

Yea, I am interested in getting a pre painted one, haha.<div>The slash, is there s huge difference in the Platinum 4x4 Version and the regular 4x4 slasher?</div><div>I mean obviously, there is more upgraded stuff, I guess my question is, is it worth the extra hundred it is?</div><div>
</div><div>Thanks man you have been a lot of help FYI.</div>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.