Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

New ZDZ-80

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 06:58 PM
3D Joy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New ZDZ-80

Mike, can you tell us what was the possible cause of the head separation?
Old 05-23-2007, 08:17 PM
Scoubidou
My Feedback: (17)

Thanks Mike! I apreciate it.
I'll give you a call tomorrow to get more details on my old engine.
Daniel
Old 05-28-2007, 05:49 PM
Scoubidou

I received a shipement from RC showcase today. I was a NIB super ZDZ80! We do not know what happened exactly to the engine but it took no more than 1 day to replace it by a new one. Futhermore, there was a penzoil oil bottle and my old carb included in that parcel, all for free, shipped to my house.
I could not be better served. Thanks to RC Showcase. [sm=thumbup.gif]
Daniel
Old 05-29-2007, 11:58 AM
Mike Dooley/RCS

Daniel, Thanks!
Old 05-30-2007, 03:53 AM
ahmed_p51

Dear All

I need help i have a P-51 Mustang from composit-ARF and i have super 80 ZDZ , does any one use this engine in upright possision??

Thanks
Ahmed
Old 05-30-2007, 04:55 PM
Mike Dooley/RCS

No, You must run it inverted. A Supersonic or JMB pitts style muffler and a 24x14 prop really make it haul....Lightest weight and easiest installation.....
Old 06-02-2007, 12:38 PM
Scoubidou

I lost my fying session today by playing with the needle valves. I switched to pennzoil air cooled 32:1 after 2 gallons of Belray H1R 32:1. I do not know what is going on but the engine dies as soon as i fly inverted? Transition, idle and vertical are good except the inverted flight problem.
6400-6500 RPM on Mejzlcik 26x10. Pennzoil 32:1
Is High needle valve to rich?
Daniel
Old 06-03-2007, 04:35 AM
airwayman
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Scoubidou

I lost my fying session today by playing with the needle valves. I switched to pennzoil air cooled 32:1 after 2 gallons of Belray H1R 32:1. I do not know what is going on but the engine dies as soon as i fly inverted? Transition, idle and vertical are good except the inverted flight problem.
I've been using Pennzoil 32:1 for break in and mine has never quit while inverted. Something else must be going on.....never heard of the brand of an approved, and widely used, oil making an engine quit. While we're on the subject of losing flying sessions I have had a TERRIBLE time with this engine. I only flew one time yesterday but I finally figured out what the problem was. The L needle is "walking." It turned over one full turn out in a 12 minute flying session. What took me so long to figure it out? It doesn't always do it. Weird! The fix? The Tillotson carb has very long needles. I cut and inch off both needles and re-slotted the ends with a very thin cutoff wheel. I cleaned the carb body hole threads and the needles and put one drop of blue Loctite on both needles. When the needles are correct, this engine is an animal. 6400-6500 on the ground and 8050 in the air. Menz 26-10 "fat blade."
Old 06-04-2007, 10:21 AM
mtwister

ORIGINAL: airwayman

ORIGINAL: Scoubidou

I've been using Pennzoil 32:1 for break in and mine has never quit while inverted. Something else must be going on.....never heard of the brand of an approved, and widely used, oil making an engine quit. While we're on the subject of losing flying sessions I have had a TERRIBLE time with this engine. I only flew one time yesterday but I finally figured out what the problem was. The L needle is "walking." It turned over one full turn out in a 12 minute flying session. What took me so long to figure it out? It doesn't always do it. Weird! The fix? The Tillotson carb has very long needles. I cut and inch off both needles and re-slotted the ends with a very thin cutoff wheel. I cleaned the carb body hole threads and the needles and put one drop of blue Loctite on both needles. When the needles are correct, this engine is an animal. 6400-6500 on the ground and 8050 in the air. Menz 26-10 "fat blade."
Another easy fix is to replce or restretch the needle springs. It is usually something that has to be done after someone has cranked the needles all the way down.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:19 PM
Scoubidou

Another easy fix is to replce or restretch the needle springs. It is usually something that has to be done after someone has cranked the needles all the way down.
Goog idea
I retuned my engine in the garden yesterday. I am going to try burning 2 gallons of gas, if the weather/job/wife agree

I have a Vess 26A prop to try after the breakin
Daniel
Old 06-04-2007, 04:37 PM
3D Joy

I had the same problem with my BME 110. I stretched the springs and put some blue Loctite on the threads. Problem fixed.

No need to burn 2 gallons of fuel in your backyard IMO.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:41 PM
mtwister

I agree, I think they run cooler breaking them in while flying.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:45 PM
Scoubidou

Sorry for the confusion but i always do the breakin while flying but, i prefer to run one tank of gas on the ground to tune the needle valves for a new engine.

3DJoy
You could join me at Amidair if you're available thursday afternoon?
Old 06-04-2007, 11:42 PM
dbcaster

Scoubi,
I believe you will be very happy with the Pennzoil. I have almost five gallons through my 3W and it looks as clean inside as it did the day it was new. I really don't see any reason for me to change to anything else.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:02 AM
airwayman

ORIGINAL: 3D Joy

I had the same problem with my BME 110. I stretched the springs and put some blue Loctite on the threads. Problem fixed.
Restretch the springs? What? If if collapses when the needle is screwed in one time, it "ain't no spring." A spring is not supposed to be sprung just because you asked it to do it's only job (be a spring). Sounds like they used a cheap piece of wire made to look like a spring. Okay, okay, I'll take the thing off and stretch it. As my old boss used to say when something broke on the $34 million dollar airplane I used to fly..."I guess we just didn't pay enough."
Old 06-05-2007, 06:18 AM
3D Joy

ORIGINAL: 3D Joy

Restretch the springs? What? If if collapses when the needle is screwed in one time, it "ain't no spring." A spring is not supposed to be sprung just because you asked it to do it's only job (be a spring). Sounds like they used a cheap piece of wire made to look like a spring. Okay, okay, I'll take the thing off and stretch it. As my old boss used to say when something broke on the $34 million dollar airplane I used to fly..."I guess we just didn't pay enough."

When a spring sits at a position for 350 flights, it likes to stay at that position. Suddenly, when the engine changes of owner and the next one (me) wants to use tuned pipes, needles obviously need to be opened but the spring does not want that.... You see the picture?

This is my 34 million dollar answer.

The best would still be to replace the spring IMO.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:41 AM
airwayman

When a spring sits at a position for 350 flights, it likes to stay at that position.
Yeah, but this a brand new engine/carb. I only screwed it in one time just to check and reset the needles at the recommended setting. In addition, when I took out the H needle to clean it so I could put a drop of blue Loctite on the threads I found the nipple end was bent big time! Looked like whoever put it in the first time dropped it point down on cement. I carefully straightened it and reinstalled. I sure hope the carb body wasn't distorted by the bent needle. Don't get me wrong, it's a wonderful engine. Just having these pesky problems with the needles. Maybe you're right, I should contact Mike to see if he sells Tillotson carb needle springs, but then again, how would I set the needles if I didn't screw them in all the way and then back out to proper setting? I must have a bad spring. A spring should live up to it's name.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:27 AM
Scoubidou

I received my warranty engine and found the same bending issue with the Low needle valve. The low needle and throttle stop screws are so bended that i can not slide them into a guide tube for the screw driver to exit the cowl.
I could strip the threads into the carb, if i would play with the bended needle valve.
I am gong to send them back to RC showcase.
Daniel
Old 06-05-2007, 09:56 AM
mtwister

Why in the world would you put blue loctite on your needle valves? If they're loose enough to be a concern, I'd say the thread bore is damaged or oblonged. If you want to add a little resistance to the needles, and restretching or replacing the springs just isn't enough for you, try adding a little thread tape. It will give resistance but not lock the needle into the bore.

When a spring sits at a position for 350 flights, it likes to stay at that position.
Yeah, but this a brand new engine/carb. I only screwed it in one time just to check and reset the needles at the recommended setting. In addition, when I took out the H needle to clean it so I could put a drop of blue Loctite on the threads I found the nipple end was bent big time! Looked like whoever put it in the first time dropped it point down on cement. I carefully straightened it and reinstalled. I sure hope the carb body wasn't distorted by the bent needle. Don't get me wrong, it's a wonderful engine. Just having these pesky problems with the needles. Maybe you're right, I should contact Mike to see if he sells Tillotson carb needle springs, but then again, how would I set the needles if I didn't screw them in all the way and then back out to proper setting? I must have a bad spring. A spring should live up to it's name.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:31 PM
Tony Hallo

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Anybody have any idea where the initial timing should be set on this engine in degrees?
Old 06-08-2007, 09:45 PM
Scoubidou

Anybody have any idea where the initial timing should be set on this engine in degrees?
I have just finished the installation in my 33WH Extra and the manual says 6.5mm before TDC.
Old 06-10-2007, 05:01 PM
Scoubidou

I have one gallon of gas through my new engine. After testing Mejzlick 26x10 one two different setup, the KS-95 with 11'' header is more powerful than BMB canister.

KS-95 can=6500-6600 and 100-200 RPM on the rich side after 1 gallon
BMB canister=6300-6400 after 3 gallons and high needle valve set on 100-200 RPM on the rich side

BMB canister is a lot quiter than KS.
Throttle response is perfect on both setup.
I have Vess 26A to try next weekend
Daniel
Old 06-11-2007, 09:57 AM
Mike Dooley/RCS

Daniel,
We recieved a plain envelope that was ripped open with no L needle or throttle stop. You apparently sent the needle valve in a plain envelope? Small metal items like this should never be mailed in a plain envelope.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:05 PM
Scoubidou

Oups that's my fault.. I don't have much experience shipping small screws..

Mike, I did a mistake when i wrote my letter. The original envelop inlcuded the high 'H' needle valve, not the low needle valve as explaned in my letter. Sorry for the confusion but i need a new ''H'' needle valve and one throtle stop scew.

You can send me email here if you have other personal questions: [email protected]
Old 06-11-2007, 05:32 PM
Mike Dooley/RCS

I sent off to you today new H and L needles and a throttle stop. I have cut the H and L needles down and slotted them for you. We now recommend doing this so the excessively long needles on the Tillotson HS232 carbs do not "walk" out and change the mixture settings during flight. I sent the pennzoil as requested too.
Please keep me posted.
Thanks,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.