Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 10:51 AM
evdreamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: are these blades any good for cp pro?

JPEE,

Hope you have some good flights.

Cool to hear Dave got his 400.

You guys might like this interview with Finless. It is at the bottom of the page labeled Inside Heli #6. http://www.insideheli.com/Archive.ph...2007&month=Jun

Nick
Old 03-13-2009, 12:21 PM
rotarydoc

Hey guys,

Evan,

Sorry to hear about the weather...that is like the ONLY thing I don't like about this hobby, is that it is so weather dependant..[] I can always sim, but it's not the same as the real thing..

That sucks on the little truck transimission....lol, burned up? Like it won't move anymore? Sounds like some of the cars I work on!!

JPEE,

That sounds like will be fine on the frame repair...as you know, the frame isn't expensive, it's just replacing it that's kinda a PITA....lol

I'd be curious how you make out with the GY401 on the B400, and see if it's like night and day or anything...which I doubt...but maybe it'll cure all the tail wagging issues once and for all? It is a much higher quality gyro than the Eflite G110's are...

Nick,

Thanks for the link on Finless, I'll have to watch it when I get home later on...

Well, looks like it's my turn to get sick now...got a cold coming on....JUST in time for the weekend, naturally...[>:]

Oh well, doesn't look too promising for flying this weekend anyways...[]

Glenn
Old 03-13-2009, 12:35 PM
Evan T.

Well the electronics I have in it are to powerful for the the stock plastic gear differential and the little gears in side of it are all stripped out so I ordered some new parts for the ball differential I already have that I over tightened on accident so I can fix it tomorrow when they come in
Old 03-13-2009, 01:16 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

The link is for a podcast, so it doesn't actually show finless getting interviewed. But it was very interesting hearing what he had to say. I didn't know he started flying planes before helis and after he took a break in the 80's with flying helis he got back into them in 05. Then I listened to Curtis Youngblood and Charley Stephens the owner of Outrage RC get interviewed.

Nick
Old 03-13-2009, 04:02 PM
evdreamer

Hey guys, I saw this in my RCHeli mag I got today and thought someone might be interested in it. A123 came out with pre-made packs for the 500 if no one wanted to make them. It looks like the starting price is $100 and it comes with polyquest balance connectors, so it would need adaptor for most chargers. http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...2&pid=D0626122 This is the same place I buy my single cells for making a pack.

It looks like it warmed up, so I am going to try and get some flights in.

Old 03-13-2009, 05:23 PM
Carljw

Hi everyone
Had the 500out again working on the tail in rate mode. I shortened my tailrod as tight as I could get it and moved the servo back from the boom block to give me
some room to adjust. I had it sitting in HH and noticed that the tail blades spin and looks like O pitch and the tail is setting perefect.
No on mine anyway when the plades are at O pitch the tail slider is to the left a bit and not centered. I put it in rate mode it starts turning to the left and I give it
rt rudder and the slider goes left towards the boom and it sits stright no turning. So I could move the servo to get the slider to stay a little to the left and O pitch
but now I will not have equal throw left to right. So now I am not sure what to do center it or move it to O pitch. Any Ideas.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:19 PM
evdreamer

Carl,

Since you can't adjust the endpoints with the gyro I would setup the pitch slider to be in the center. If I remember right my pitch slider is also off to the side on my 600 with 0 degrees of pitch. Then with 100% travel end points for the rudder you can turn down the travel adjustment pot. on the gyro until the pitch slider doesn't bind at full travel.

Guys,

I just got done flying my fourth pack in the 450. I can now do all aileron flips except nose in. I don't feel comfortable enough to do those. For some reason I can only do elevator flips from inverted to upright, but I am scared to do them upright to inverted. Some day I will get the courage to do them. One of my grommets on my beater canopy that was falling apart finally split in half, so I had to use my good canopy on my last flight. Least there was no accidents. I have been putting off installing new dampners, but they are finally too soft and worn out to fly any more, so I will install the new ones tonight. My weather looks pretty good for the weekend, so I will try and fly some more.

Did anyone else get to fly today?

Nick
Old 03-13-2009, 08:55 PM
rotarydoc

Hey guys,

Carl,

I think if I remember correctly, I also set my slider up dead center, and then as Nick said, adjust the travel to just barely touch at the end of the travel, and just back off a tad...

Nick,

Cool on the aileron flips! Yeah, I can see where nose in aileron flips would be very difficult...I have tried aileron tic tocs on the sim, and it's very difficult too...

It's funny, the little bit of flipping I have done in RL so far, I am much more comfortable with elevator flips (back) than aileron ones, (when I crashed...lol). I think the next thing I would try would be a forward elevator flip... Pretty sure I could do it with the B400...

Cool on the new dampeners....hope all goes well.

Nope, flying here doesn't look to promising, and my cold isn't helping...looks like a weekend for rebuilding the CP Pro.

Glenn
Old 03-13-2009, 09:01 PM
rotarydoc

Hey guys,

Last weekend, I think I "lost" at least 3 battery packs...two in the Gaui, and one in the Quark...(no power after about a minute of flight...just slowly dies..[>:])..and I have been reading what JPEE posted about long term Lipo storage, and the concensus seems to be that for long term storage, 3.8 volts per cell or thereabouts is the ticket...

My C505, as much as I love it, doesn't discharge. I have been considering a new balance charger anyways, and was looking into this;

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...?ProdID=THP610

I like the way this thing looks...should be ideal for me.

I can never remember what everyone is using, any comments on this puppy? [sm=confused.gif]

Glenn
Old 03-13-2009, 09:17 PM
J-MICHAEL

Nick ~

No flying here for me lately just been busy... Maybe this weekend, but there saying maybe rain or snow, so we'll see. Cool on your Aileron flips ! [8D]

Glenn ~

I use my (like JPEE) Thunder Power 1010c charger to discharge my lipo's and offers a storage mode that you can use. I've only done it once I believe...Lol.. I did just discharge one of my 500 TP 5s batts with a hover in the garage with the 500 for 4 minutes...LMAO.. So I'am leaving that one discharged a bit, and then do another soon, since I only need two at a time when I go out and fly. That's plenty as the shaking doesn't get to bad then...LMAO...[8D]

Cheers,

~ Jeff
Old 03-13-2009, 09:17 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

I am sure I could probably do a nose in aileron flip and elevator flips, but I first have to get over the scared factor just like every other move I learned so far. My newer flips I have been trying are far from being in spot, so they end off a few feet to the side. I have been trying hard to perfect my timing on the collective, but it is easier said than done.

I wanted to try an elevator flip on my last flight facing nose in upright then going forwards into an inverted tail in, but I forgot to try it. I am also sure you could pull the elevator flip off with the 400. The first new flip is always the hardest. Once you do one and know you can do it, the second one is a lot easier and less stressfull.

Yeah I finished putting some slightly used dampners in a hour ago. Since my crashing probablility flying inverted went down I decided to put my carbon blades back on. Knock on wood. Hopefully with the carbon blades and new dampners my cyclic will be a little crisper. I also need to set the tracking and I am going to turn my governor back on.

I forgot you said you were sick. Hope you get better soon.

Nick
Old 03-13-2009, 09:31 PM
rotarydoc

Jeff,

Thanks for the charger info...apparently, the 610 has an adjustable discharge cut off voltage, which I would set at about 3.7 or so...

I probably won't use it too much now that the flying season is approaching, but for batteries like the Quark, I would probably do them, since I rarely fly it...

I don't know for sure if that is why I lost those packs, but it seems like a good precaution to take anyways, just wish I had done it last fall/winter...lol

Glenn
Old 03-13-2009, 09:48 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

That is the exact charger I have plus my Hyperion. I am charging a battery right now on it. I like the adaptor it comes with for E-Flite/TP balance connectors. It can also do A123's, but it can only charge small 2S and kind of 3S packs at 10A. Any higher Voltages the current will go down because of its small power capablility. However, it has plenty of power for LiPo's. Setting it up can be a little tricky and it doesn't remember the models very good. It will remember the Voltage and current, but not the type of battery. It also shows the Voltage of each cell and which ones are out of balance. I have used the dishcarge function on my puffed batteries and you can select the Voltage you want the battery to cut off at. For the price it is a nice charger, but I like my Hyperion better. It can't discharge batteries, but it has a better balancing circuit and can handle a lot of power.

Jeff,

Hope you can find some free time and have good weather to fly sometime soon.

Nick
Old 03-13-2009, 09:59 PM
J-MICHAEL

Yeah if I ever go to buy another charger someday I'am gonna make sure it can also charge the A123 packs for sure just in case....
Old 03-13-2009, 10:11 PM
evdreamer

Jeff,

It is also a good idea to make sure the charger can download new firmware for new battery chemistries in the future, so you don't have to buy another charger.

Yeah A123's are cool batteries. I like the abuse factory they can handle and the fast charge times. I have been contemplating zip charging them. It basically involves a couple lead acid batteries, a very long piece of wire to limit the current, and a Watt meter. I have heard of people charging them at 20A+ with this method and having 8min charge times!! The only downside is I would need some really big deep cycle batteries and I don't want to carry those around at the flying field.

Nick
Old 03-13-2009, 10:19 PM
J-MICHAEL

Nick ~

Yeah my TP 1010c charger has that firmware update option, but ya have to purchase the adapter cord thingy or whatever for $20.00... I need to get that so I can update mine...Lol.. Then it would also let me charge Nimh and Nicd batts with a newer firmware that is out. Not that I would never need to LMAO...

~ Jeff

Old 03-13-2009, 10:20 PM
JPEE

Hello Glenn,

As Jeff indicated our TP 1010c does discharge and to a wide spread setting. It will discharge each cell from 3.0 3.4 3.8 to 3.85. There is not a battery made that you can take below 3.3 or its TOAST. Or it has a setting for a 50% , 95% or a 100% charge on the pack. Now there is thought to get you away cheaper. You run a battery down which takes 3-5 minutes. Then when you charge it on the 505 leave the mAh window up so you can see the mAh charging per cell. When hits where you want turn it off and walla your home free!
The one nice thinga bout the 610C does handle a 6S pack so you'll be ready for your 600! ! ! !

I just looked back at the heli spread I read you the other day and the TP610C is not there BUT you cant go wrong with a TP in my humble opinion.

Nick, this is for you. I took a three cell apart today today to see whats inside. They very then pieces of paper with like lead on the and acid which you can smell. The papers are wrapped in several layers like winding a motor almost. Once opened and left to the air it dried out quickly. For the older guys here, it looks like an old Polaroid Picture than you peel the film off of. A foil side coated with this film then wrapped like a burrito with a wax paper like stuff between to keep each section insulated.
JPEE
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17539.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	1157212   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96749.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	1157213   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85046.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	1157214   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19251.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	1157215   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36630.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	1157216  
Old 03-13-2009, 10:29 PM
J-MICHAEL

JPEE ~

Come on I know ya want to poke it with somethin' sharp....LMAOOOO.....
Old 03-13-2009, 10:31 PM
J-MICHAEL

Come on....! Put the hat-cam on and lets see some action ! [8D]
Old 03-13-2009, 10:34 PM
rotarydoc

Hey guys,

Thanks to all on the charger info...

Before I was looking at the TP 610, I was looking at this thing...

Nick, what do you think about this thing? It seems pretty cool, and is probably kinda easy to make?

I was just wondering what type of balance connector jacks those were?

http://www.hobbyjapan2000.com/store/...LIPO-DISCHARGE

Glenn

Old 03-13-2009, 10:36 PM
evdreamer

JPEE,

It looked like that battery saw some kind of impact.

"There is not a battery made that you can take below 3.3 or its TOAST." If you go old school there is like the nominal Voltage of 1.2V for NiCd and NiMh and I think the new V2 TP batteries can go down to 2V/cell. Jeff would know the exact Voltage of the V2 TP batteries because I forgot.

Nick
Old 03-13-2009, 10:48 PM
JPEE

Nick, no impact. I just tore it apart after I took off the shrink. The battery had the cells that would not charge or discharge right and if you remember I tried shocking and every trick I know to no avail so I scrapped them BLOATED and all.

Your 100% on. I never let my packs go below 3.6 at the worst! My Air Thunders will go 3.2 but they will never see that you can count on it alowed or not! Generally when I fly a battery it comes in at 3.8.

JPEE
Old 03-13-2009, 10:50 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

I would hate to recommend something I have no experience with, so I will leave it with I don't know. A cheaper way is to use a power resistor and plug it into the balance connector. At the most it would probably cost a couple of bucks. But you would have to choose the proper resistance for a 1/10C discharge rate and the proper power rating. Since the metal leads will be out in the open you would have to make sure NOTHING came into contact with them or just cut the metal leads of the resistor down to size. Then just hook a Voltmeter up to the main leads and watch for the proper Voltage to show. The other way is to just fly the heli and then charge it. Then once it gets up to the 3.8V/cell or what ever it is and then shut off the charger. It wouldn't take that long to get to 3.8V/cell in the Constant Current setting at the beginning of the charge.

Nick
Old 03-13-2009, 10:54 PM
JPEE

Nick,

That just what I said on post 6292 about running the battery down in a hover or whatever and charge it but the leave his mAh window up on the charger so he can what is doing then shut doen when it is at 3.8
Old 03-13-2009, 11:00 PM
evdreamer

JPEE,

Oops. Sorry.

Nick

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.