Community
Search
Notices
Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

BIG LAMA

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 01:43 AM
pgroom_68

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BIG LAMA

ORIGINAL: Buz
Hi Peter... I confused myself too! I thought I was ordering the larger of the two... but I got the smaller one. That's why I'm flying on 2s instead of 3s. I never saw the larger one advertised! Hmmmmm.... maybe I should get the large one, and hide it under the bed. LOL This thing has an adjustable pot that allows you to speed up or slow down the rotors. I tweaked that a little and it now goes forward and reverse much better. But these blades on it have to be made of glass! I had one rotor clash and it broke all 4 rotors. I replaced them with BOL blades and it flies just fine. But, I'll take the Big Lama any time over this one.
Hey again Buzz,

As they say mate "all's well......." The BOL is the best flying large coax I've ever heard about or flown! I have learnt so much from my ones that I do not regret spending so much $ or time on them at all. My wife would not concur....!

Hmmmm - it would cost US$77 just in shipping to get one to me!!
[sm=50_50.gif]If you can get the larger one - I think you should try it - just in case[sm=wink_smile.gif]

Peter[sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 06-14-2011, 03:57 AM
Dongskie

Just got my replacement blades today, just waiting for the maih shaft that holds the stabilizer..

Old 06-14-2011, 04:06 AM
pgroom_68

Hey again EdgardoJr,

Do you mean an inner shaft? If you order an extended shaft - such as [link=http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=80_204_212& products_id=3391]THIS[/link] one from Xtreme the blades will not clash anymore![sm=thumbs_up.gif] (the most I have got since installation is a slap)

The flybars that I have on all my BOLs have large shiny weights on each end that are secured with 2 grub screws each & can be slid inwards towards the hub to lesson "flybar authority" allowing easier transitions into Forward Flight (and flaring-out back into hover). I bought them from a US site that doesn't have any more[] If you want one of my spares, just PM me your address and pay the shipping (It is approx US$8 from me to you)

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20721.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	1623225  
Old 06-14-2011, 06:05 AM
Dr. Colossus

Nice to see that the thread is this active again!

Ihaven't posted in almost a year, mainly due to the fact that the whole RC hobby has been put on hold until recently.

Now with the weather improving in Sweden I've had the chance to dust off my BOL and start using it again! Unfortunately, Iencountered problems right away...

I noticed that a jerking motion when throttling up and first thought that it was stripped gear. Upon closer examination Inoticed that the pin sticking out of motor B is no longer in a fixed position (Iam able to wiggle it 0,5mm back and forth). I'm guessing that this results in the gear pinion not connecting with the gear properly at all times. I also noticed that motor B gets EXTREMELYhot compared to the other engine (probably from the introduced friction).

To me this indicates that the motor is about to die, but I wanted to know if anyone else had encountered the same problem with the wiggly motor pin, or if it's a known issue with brushed motors?

Is it even possible to open the motor casing and attempt a repair?

While I'm at it...does anybody know anything about e-sky spare parts status? I've asked rc711 but they can't give any reliable answers. My Belt-CP is grounded and I'm at a point where I'm considering a heli from another manufacturer (Walkera V200D02 looks interesting, any thoughts?).

Thankfully, I have a few spare parts for the BOL, but it's only a question of time before I'll need to resupply.

Best,
Dr. C
Old 06-14-2011, 07:47 AM
Buz

ORIGINAL: pgroom_68

Hi Peter... I confused myself too! I thought I was ordering the larger of the two... but I got the smaller one. That's why I'm flying on 2s instead of 3s. I never saw the larger one advertised! Hmmmmm.... maybe I should get the large one, and hide it under the bed. LOL This thing has an adjustable pot that allows you to speed up or slow down the rotors. I tweaked that a little and it now goes forward and reverse much better. But these blades on it have to be made of glass! I had one rotor clash and it broke all 4 rotors. I replaced them with BOL blades and it flies just fine. But, I'll take the Big Lama any time over this one.
Hey again Buzz,

As they say mate ''all's well.......'' The BOL is the best flying large coax I've ever heard about or flown! I have learnt so much from my ones that I do not regret spending so much $ or time on them at all. My wife would not concur....!

Hmmmm - it would cost US$77 just in shipping to get one to me!!
[sm=50_50.gif]If you can get the larger one - I think you should try it - just in case[sm=wink_smile.gif]

Hi Peter,

I have one in my shopping cart... but with postage it adds up to more than $200~~!! I'm still thinking about it. I don't think it will fit under the bed... lol. It's 27 inches long! I think you should buy us both one. Ha!

Buzz
Old 06-14-2011, 04:22 PM
Dongskie

Hi Peter,

Yes I was referring to the inner shaft, the top part that holds the stabilizerbroke too as a result of the crashwhenthe blades killed each other lol (Photo posted previous page)

Your spares would be interesting, Can you PM me some pics of other parts along with the iner shaft?

Thanks Peter!
<span style="font-size: smaller">

Hey again EdgardoJr,

Do you mean an inner shaft? If you order an extended shaft - such as [link=http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&amp;cPath=80_204_ 212&amp;products_id=3391]THIS[/link] one from Xtreme the blades will not clash anymore![sm=thumbs_up.gif] (the most I have got since installation is a slap)

The flybars that I have on all my BOLs have large shiny weights on each end that are secured with 2 grub screws each &amp; can be slid inwards towards the hub to lesson "flybar authority" allowing easier transitions into Forward Flight (and flaring-out back into hover). I bought them from a US site that doesn't have any more[] If you want one of my spares, just PM me your address and pay the shipping (It is approx US$8 from me to you)

</span>
Old 06-15-2011, 01:07 AM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: EdgardoJr
Hi Peter,
Yes I was referring to the inner shaft, the top part that holds the stabilizer broke too as a result of the crash when the blades killed each other lol (Photo posted previous page)
Your spares would be interesting, Can you PM me some pics of other parts along with the iner shaft?
Thanks Peter!
The flybars that I have on all my BOLs have large shiny weights on each end that are secured with 2 grub screws each & can be slid inwards towards the hub to lesson ''flybar authority'' allowing easier transitions into Forward Flight (and flaring-out back into hover). I bought them from a US site that doesn't have any more[] If you want one of my spares, just PM me your address and pay the shipping (It is approx US$8 from me to you)
[sm=shades_smile.gif]
[/quote]
Hey again EdgardoJr,

...I was only offering you one of my spare adjustable flybars mate - I'm not getting out of this hobby (and selling up all my spare parts) just yet![sm=49_49.gif]
I will send you a PM with a pic or two soon (I just have to get my camera to talk decently to the computer[sm=wink_smile.gif])

P.S. The Xtreme extended inner shaft (that I posted a link to in #6451 above) has a strong aluminium head that wont crumble away like the plastic one did.........
Old 06-15-2011, 01:21 AM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: Dr. Colossus
Nice to see that the thread is this active again!
I haven't posted in almost a year, mainly due to the fact that the whole RC hobby has been put on hold until recently.
Now with the weather improving in Sweden I've had the chance to dust off my BOL and start using it again! Unfortunately, I encountered problems right away...
I noticed that a jerking motion when throttling up and first thought that it was stripped gear. Upon closer examination I noticed that the pin sticking out of motor B is no longer in a fixed position (I am able to wiggle it 0,5mm back and forth). I'm guessing that this results in the gear pinion not connecting with the gear properly at all times. I also noticed that motor B gets EXTREMELY hot compared to the other engine (probably from the introduced friction).
To me this indicates that the motor is about to die, but I wanted to know if anyone else had encountered the same problem with the wiggly motor pin, or if it's a known issue with brushed motors?
Is it even possible to open the motor casing and attempt a repair?
While I'm at it...does anybody know anything about e-sky spare parts status? I've asked rc711 but they can't give any reliable answers. My Belt-CP is grounded and I'm at a point where I'm considering a heli from another manufacturer (Walkera V200D02 looks interesting, any thoughts?).
Thankfully, I have a few spare parts for the BOL, but it's only a question of time before I'll need to resupply.
Best,
Hey again Doc,

Agreed - the motor sounds to be on its last legs[] Buy a new motor B before trying it again or you might smoke your 3in1. I don't think it is worth trying to open the casing - never tried it or heard of it before[sm=72_72.gif]

Sorry, can't help with the rumours either. What I CAN do is put you in touch with an Aussie flier who also owns a Walkera V200D02. Phil is a regular contributor to the 450GT thread. His handle is: " Flying Fiz " - PM him and tell him Peter sent you! You can ask him for his thoughts (as I have) and he might even send you a couple of video links of it.......[sm=thumbs_up.gif] HERE's one of his videos......
http://www.youtube.com/user/FlyingFi.../1/ILtvIMYC8xk

We will all be moving FBL in the future - you mark my words mate!!

Old 06-15-2011, 01:24 AM
pgroom_68

Hi Peter,
I have one in my shopping cart... but with postage it adds up to more than $200~~!! I'm still thinking about it. I don't think it will fit under the bed... lol. It's 27 inches long! I think you should buy us both one. Ha!
Hey again Buzz,

You're right mate. That is a lot of $ to spend on an inferior bird[X(] I wouldn't do it either..........

Old 06-15-2011, 03:12 AM
Dongskie

Hey again EdgardoJr,

...I was only offering you one of my spare adjustable flybars mate - I'm not getting out of this hobby (and selling up all my spare parts) just yet![sm=49_49.gif]
I will send you a PM with a pic or two soon (I just have to get my camera to talk decently to the computer[sm=wink_smile.gif])

P.S. The Xtreme extended inner shaft (that I posted a link to in #6451 above) has a strong aluminium head that wont crumble away like the plastic one did.........
Thanks Peter,

I might as well go for the "extended inner shaft that has a strong aluminium head that wont crumble away like the plastic one did"

I'm lookin' at it at hobbyking now.

Thanks for the offer though.

Cheers!
Old 06-15-2011, 03:37 AM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: EdgardoJr
Hey again EdgardoJr,
[sm=shades_smile.gif]
Thanks Peter,
I might as well go for the ''extended inner shaft that has a strong aluminium head that wont crumble away like the plastic one did''
I'm lookin' at it at hobbyking now.
Thanks for the offer though.
Cheers!
No prob! PM me soon (with your address) if you change your mind about the adjustable flybar after seeing the pic in post # 6451 above

Old 06-15-2011, 05:26 AM
Dr. Colossus

Hey again Doc,

Agreed - the motor sounds to be on its last legs[] Buy a new motor B before trying it again or you might smoke your 3in1. I don't think it is worth trying to open the casing - never tried it or heard of it before[sm=72_72.gif]

Sorry, can't help with the rumours either. What I CAN do is put you in touch with an Aussie flier who also owns a Walkera V200D02. Phil is a regular contributor to the 450GT thread. His handle is: " Flying Fiz " - PM him and tell him Peter sent you! You can ask him for his thoughts (as I have) and he might even send you a couple of video links of it.......[sm=thumbs_up.gif] HERE's one of his videos......
http://www.youtube.com/user/FlyingFi.../1/ILtvIMYC8xk

We will all be moving FBL in the future - you mark my words mate!!

Thanks for the heads up about the 3in1 Peter. I didn't consider that...and Ihave actually been flying it with the damaged engine. Idid however make some adjustments (rotated the motor 180 degrees and enlarged the mounting holes in the chassis for a tighter fit) last night as a temporary solution. It worked surprisingly well and the engine does not heat up as much as previously. Nevertheless, I should probably stop flying it all together until the new engine arrives.

I'll get in touch with Phil in regards to the Walkera. I saw his video. Nice little garden for flying...wish Ihad one of those.

This spare part shortage is driving me nuts. I've heard all sorts of rumours although most seem to indicate that e-sky is in fact not going out of business. According to my local RC shop it's only a matter of time before new parts become available again(apparently they have already paid e-sky invoices and are only waiting for shipments, but who knows?). Last time I visited the shop they agreed to sell parts from a display model...which I think is kind of funny. What are they gonna do with that display model now I wonder....? (&lt;- hopefully sell the rest of it to me as parts!)
Old 06-27-2011, 12:11 AM
Dr. Colossus

So I followed Peter's advice and installed the new motor before flying (in order not to damage the ESC). Inow also have a better charger and additional lipos, which makes the whole experience a lot more fun.

Ihad a few good runs this weekend, but at one point when Iconnected a fresh battery pack Inoticed that the gyro didn't respond as it normally does. The light on the 3in1 didnt blink and the whole bird was just dead. Suddenly, the engines started spinning at full throttle (without any stick input) and Ijust barely managed to grab the heli before it flew away. I repeated the process a while later and the same thing happened.This time Ialso accidentallly pulled of the JSTconnector from the cable when disconnecting the battery...

Is the ESC fried, or could it even be something related to the receiver?Any suggestions as to how Ishould troubleshoot, step by step?

Old 06-27-2011, 01:05 AM
pgroom_68

So I followed Peter's advice and installed the new motor before flying (in order not to damage the ESC). I now also have a better charger and additional lipos, which makes the whole experience a lot more fun.
I had a few good runs this weekend, but at one point when I connected a fresh battery pack I noticed that the gyro didn't respond as it normally does. The light on the 3in1 didnt blink and the whole bird was just dead. Suddenly, the engines started spinning at full throttle (without any stick input) and I just barely managed to grab the heli before it flew away. I repeated the process a while later and the same thing happened. This time I also accidentallly pulled of the JST connector from the cable when disconnecting the battery...
Is the ESC fried, or could it even be something related to the receiver? Any suggestions as to how I should troubleshoot, step by step?
Hey again Dr,

Do you have access to another Esky Tx?? It sounds suspiciously like the metal "tracks" inside your existing Tx are worn in patches.[sm=72_72.gif] I could be barking up the wrong tree though........
Before you go phoning all your RC friends, it might be a good idea to follow the wiring first. You might have yanked out the wire from the lipo to the circuit board.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:22 AM
Dr. Colossus

So I followed Peter's advice and installed the new motor before flying (in order not to damage the ESC). Inow also have a better charger and additional lipos, which makes the whole experience a lot more fun.
Ihad a few good runs this weekend, but at one point when Iconnected a fresh battery pack Inoticed that the gyro didn't respond as it normally does. The light on the 3in1 didnt blink and the whole bird was just dead. Suddenly, the engines started spinning at full throttle (without any stick input) and Ijust barely managed to grab the heli before it flew away. I repeated the process a while later and the same thing happened.This time Ialso accidentallly pulled of the JSTconnector from the cable when disconnecting the battery...
Is the ESC fried, or could it even be something related to the receiver?Any suggestions as to how Ishould troubleshoot, step by step?
Hey again Dr,

Do you have access to another Esky Tx?? It sounds suspiciously like the metal "tracks" inside your existing Tx are worn in patches.[sm=72_72.gif] I could be barking up the wrong tree though........

Ido have the Tx for my Belt-CP, but I'm guessing it's not compatible with the Big Lama. Or is it?

But even if it was a problem with the Tx, the red light on the 3in1 should come on..., right? The servos don't respond either (normally there isa quick jerking motion as soon as the battery is connected). Currently, there is no reaction from the bird whatsoever...until it throttles up on it own that is.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:44 AM
Edmund2

Dr C, having replaced the motor, check if the motor wires have not chafed through and are earthing on the motor body. Had it happen to me on a brushless motor. Once I insulated it 3in1 came right and no jerking flying.

Edmund  
Old 06-28-2011, 12:01 AM
pgroom_68

I do have the Tx for my Belt-CP, but I'm guessing it's not compatible with the Big Lama. Or is it?
But even if it was a problem with the Tx, the red light on the 3in1 should come on..., right? The servos don't respond either (normally there is a quick jerking motion as soon as the battery is connected). Currently, there is no reaction from the bird whatsoever...until it throttles up on it own that is.
Hey again Doc,

If the Tx and Rx are both Esky 2.4G they should be compatible!
You are correct that once you connect the Lipo it should "light up". If it isn't, your next move is to follow the wires looking for breaks and even (if you have a meter) check for continuity. I would say that you have yanked the wire out at the electronic end and it might need resoldering! Hey to Edmund too

Peter
Old 06-30-2011, 03:08 AM
Owner1

Hey Peter, if you still have the extra adjustable flybar I would love to buy it from you. I made my own adjustable one yesterday and it works fine, but yours looks far nicer. It appears that Helitek is not selling anything right now.

Thanks,

Brendan (Owner1)

Hey again EdgardoJr,

Do you mean an inner shaft? If you order an extended shaft - such as [link=http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&amp;cPath=80_204_ 212&amp;products_id=3391]THIS[/link] one from Xtreme the blades will not clash anymore![sm=thumbs_up.gif] (the most I have got since installation is a slap)

The flybars that I have on all my BOLs have large shiny weights on each end that are secured with 2 grub screws each &amp; can be slid inwards towards the hub to lesson "flybar authority" allowing easier transitions into Forward Flight (and flaring-out back into hover). I bought them from a US site that doesn't have any more[] If you want one of my spares, just PM me your address and pay the shipping (It is approx US$8 from me to you)

Old 06-30-2011, 03:12 AM
killbucket

ORIGINAL: Owner1

snip It appears that Helitek is not selling anything right now.

Thanks,

Brendan (Owner1)

Considering the demeanor and typically condescending nature of the proprietor, I cannot see that you missed out on a "good thing" there...IMHO.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:07 AM
Edmund2

Dr C, are you flying yet????

Edmund
Old 06-30-2011, 06:17 AM
Dr. Colossus

ORIGINAL: Edmund2

Dr C, are you flying yet????

Edmund

Hi Ed,

No, not yet...I have one more week at work before my summer vacation and my superiors are keeping me quite busy...
I've checked the cables for faults and I couldn't find anything out of the ordinary. Ican't find anything wrong with the motors either (since you mentioned earthing on the motor body previously).
I'm not sure if it's my imagination, but i'm pretty sure that i candetect a burnt smell from the electronics in the front of the heli...
I hope to sit down and do some testing during the weekend (which is when i should be flying instead) and hopefully reach a conclusion.

/drc
Old 06-30-2011, 06:28 AM
Dr. Colossus

By the way, here's a picture of me flying my BOL last weekend. As you can see, the canopy has never been replaced...
Extended shaft and CNC parts installed (which you guys helped me with as well) and skids from a Belt-CP.
We were out grilling but the guys had problems getting the fire started. Enter the BigLama!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54019.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	1629700  
Old 06-30-2011, 11:50 AM
Buz

ORIGINAL: killbucket

Thanks,

Brendan (Owner1)

Considering the demeanor and typically condescending nature of the proprietor, I cannot see that you missed out on a ''good thing'' there...IMHO.
Who are you talking about, Bucket? If you mean Barak... that's Tony. If it's not who you're talking about then disregard the following.

Tony's house was nearly destroyed by tornados a couple of months ago. 14 trees down... 3 or 4 on his roof. He had no internet connection for a long time because they had no power. Hell, they didn't even have water!
That's why he's not posting. I believe he has you on "ignore" anyway. Tony runs a good business... At the time I am partners with him in the CNC machine ... which also consumed a lot of his time.

But, you come wading in here after being gone forever... and make a totally negative statement about him. Nice guy, but then again.... we could post for weeks about your "condescending nature" also.

So, why not leave him out of all this? The poor guy is killing himself trying to rebuild parts of his house for his family. If I were you, I'd drop this hacking on Tony NOW!

Buzz
Old 06-30-2011, 10:55 PM
Edmund2

Buz, all I can say is ditto.  Must say I miss his input on the forums, hell I have never seen anybody else who can mod and then fly a L4 like he does, not even the Esky demo guys.

Edmund
Old 07-01-2011, 12:51 AM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: killbucket
Thanks,
Considering the demeanor and typically condescending nature of the proprietor, I cannot see that you missed out on a ''good thing'' there...IMHO.
Who are you talking about, Bucket? If you mean Barak... that's Tony. If it's not who you're talking about then disregard the following.
Tony's house was nearly destroyed by tornados a couple of months ago. 14 trees down... 3 or 4 on his roof. He had no internet connection for a long time because they had no power. Hell, they didn't even have water!
That's why he's not posting. I believe he has you on ''ignore'' anyway. Tony runs a good business... At the time I am partners with him in the CNC machine ... which also consumed a lot of his time.
But, you come wading in here after being gone forever... and make a totally negative statement about him. Nice guy, but then again.... we could post for weeks about your ''condescending nature'' also.
So, why not leave him out of all this? The poor guy is killing himself trying to rebuild parts of his house for his family. If I were you, I'd drop this hacking on Tony NOW!
Hey again guys,

First let me "leap" to the defense of Ernie (Tony's ex-business partner at Helitek-rc.com if I remember correctly[sm=72_72.gif]). He offered to create a couple of custom-built BOL inner shafts for me a while back - and was nothing but gracious. I must admit that I only ever typed with a strictly professional manner - not getting buddy-buddy at all. But, I think it rude to attack anyone on forums (not to mention on this brilliant forum) SO LET THAT BE THE END OF THE MATTER please[sm=red_smile.gif]

Hey again Brendon,

PM me your address and I will send you the spare adjustable flybar free of charge on Monday morn - BUT you have to pay the postage (so I guess it is not really free)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.