Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Official DF-03 Ra Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 08:40 AM
MD6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official DF-03 Ra Thread

Here are two different versions of the 4x4 RTR Slash, and the third one is the Platinum which doesn't have a radio and is ARR.   I chose Tower because the list everything included. They also have $20 off and free shipping today, but you may find a 4x4 Slash cheaper on other sites. <div>
</div><div>http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&amp;I=LXYNB0**&amp;P=7</div><div>
</div><div>http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&amp;I=LXZEV3**&amp;P=7</div><div>
</div><div>http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&amp;I=LXYWV2&amp;P=7</div>
Old 01-31-2011, 09:08 AM
mimicpsycho

I use Tower Hobbies for a lot of my stuff as well, they have always done me right.<div>I think I am going to look for a used roller, because I have a brushless system and 2.4ghz receiver.</div><div>So I am going to try and save some dollars I think.  But thanks a bunch man.</div>
Old 01-31-2011, 09:25 AM
MD6

<div style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-family: Arial; font-size: 12px; ">You're welcome. You may want to check out the sale forum on RC Tech and Hobby Talk.</div>
Old 01-31-2011, 01:11 PM
CWHFSR

I have to second that the slash may be better than the DF03RA especially if you are running on grass, even dead grass. The DR03RA will handle jumps fine and sand and really small gravel but as soon as I touch even low grass it stops dead. You can always get the buggy version though, I would think that would work well, but it has taller tires, longer wishbones and more spring travel (so is higher off the ground).
Old 01-31-2011, 01:49 PM
Casper06

I would skip the Slash altogether and get a HPI Blitz. This way if you ever decide to race competitively you have a car that can really do both.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:51 PM
MD6

<div style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-family: Arial; font-size: 12px; ">If your bashing the Slash is best. And if your running 4wd I would say the same. If you're racing 2wd locally  most guys run the Associated SC10 and a few Blitzes. </div>
Old 01-31-2011, 03:52 PM
Casper06

We are already way off topic here so I'll leave it saying this car is great but if you are looking for a strictly off road vehicle you should look elsewhere.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:18 AM
Arctic Fire

ORIGINAL: MD6

This seller has the HPI body below and if you Google the part number you'll find other websites have it.<div>
</div><div>https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/seekpart.pl?pn=HPI7412</div>

Yup.. it would look kinda cool.

Here's Mine

Old 02-03-2011, 11:45 AM
The Mad Modder

Very nice.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:04 PM
sneth

Hey Everyone. I'm converting over to this chassis and retiring my HPI Super Nitro Rally. I'm looking to build something with similar performance in the brushless realm.
My nitro rally was running 2 speed transmission with a .21 engine, so .....fast.

I have the ezrun 8.5T and 60a combo. I might buy the 9T if this is too much.
I'm going to try 29/75 gearing
3s Lipo 20C
slipper clutch

I have some 3cell 4000maH battery's that I was hoping to use (Dimensions: 148x50x23mm). I read this whole thread a couple times and i can never find the battery dimensions when i go back.

So I'm hoping for some feedback from those with experience.
Can this drive train handle 3s Lipo?
What are some gearing ratio's people have tried?

Old 02-04-2011, 01:32 PM
Casper06

Not sure about gearing I've never ran 3s in this car. But you may want to lock your rear diff if you plan on running it at that power constantly. The ball diffs are the weak spots on this car at least for me anyways. For dimensions you can pretty much only fit a standard sized 6 cell pack in there.

I believe the dimensions fall under this range:

5.4 x 1.7 x 0.87" (137 x 44 x 22mm)
Old 02-04-2011, 02:12 PM
sneth

Yeah. I might dial it down at first. I'm not sure how much I want to pump into this chassis just yet.

Does anyone know which models do not have the shorter settings? I have the 240z body that I plan to use as a shelf queen.
I am thinking about throwing on an older Peugeot Maxi 306 body on there. I'd rather run the longer wheelbase on the track though.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:12 PM
BlueShade Zero

Well, though i couldnt bring myself to read every last page, the info i gather tells me this is a bangin Rally RC. I've been looking for one for the better part of a year, but havnt come across one until now. My mind is pretty much set (unless some one can recommend a better Rally RC) but there are 2 buy's that i'm looking at. If any one could offer their oppinion/advice, please do so:

Lancer EVO X this one comes with a seemingly good lipo charger, ANDi get to build it (which i REALLYwant to construct an entire RCfrom parts)

Upgraded, used model built for street looks good and clean, and the seller assures its in perfect condition. I can expect it'll sell for around 100$ when its said and done. If i dont win this for that price i'll default to the Evo X+charger.

I've also heard theres a difference between the models, like some have an extra body or something. Can some one explain?

Just wana know what you guys think would be a better deal. I'm expecting to drop about 400$ total to get brushless and lipo ready (with charger) either way. I'll also be spending the cash to buy another traxxas receiver since i have the 2.4 ghz remote from them.

Lastly... If i can get some of you to look at this topic and answer some questions, i'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!
<span class="info"> </span>
EDIT
Just to add a couple things i'm looking at:

Graphite Chassis Conversion (if i can find it)
Full alloy parts

Just wondering what you guys think about the hop ups, or if some of them are just a money dump with little-no return, or even a downgrade.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:26 PM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: BlueShade Zero

Well, though i couldnt bring myself to read every last page, the info i gather tells me this is a bangin Rally RC. I've been looking for one for the better part of a year, but havnt come across one until now. My mind is pretty much set (unless some one can recommend a better Rally RC) but there are 2 buy's that i'm looking at. If any one could offer their oppinion/advice, please do so:

Lancer EVO X this one comes with a seemingly good lipo charger, AND i get to build it (which i REALLY want to construct an entire RC from parts)

Upgraded, used model built for street looks good and clean, and the seller assures its in perfect condition. I can expect it'll sell for around 100$ when its said and done. If i dont win this for that price i'll default to the Evo X+charger.

I've also heard theres a difference between the models, like some have an extra body or something. Can some one explain?

Just wana know what you guys think would be a better deal. I'm expecting to drop about 400$ total to get brushless and lipo ready (with charger) either way. I'll also be spending the cash to buy another traxxas receiver since i have the 2.4 ghz remote from them.

Lastly... If i can get some of you to look at this topic and answer some questions, i'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!
<span class=''info''> </span>
EDIT
Just to add a couple things i'm looking at:

Graphite Chassis Conversion (if i can find it)
Full alloy parts

Just wondering what you guys think about the hop ups, or if some of them are just a money dump with little-no return, or even a downgrade.
Myself, I prefer buy new simply because you don't know how it was treated or know in exactly what condition it's in. Plus half of the fun is building the thing and that way I know it was assembled properly. On occasion I have gotten very good deals buying used, however.

The thing I don't like about the used one is all the aluminum(which adds to the weight). Aluminum is good here and there at high stress areas, but not at places like the suspension arms. While stock plastic arms tend to flex on impact, aluminum tends to bend. That also means that in a bad crash, the plastic ones will snap, but the aluminum ones will bend and transfer a lot of that force to the arm mounts and break those, too.

Also, if you re going brushless, it would probably be a good Idea to buy the slipper clutch Tamiya makes for it.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:37 PM
theibault

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On my rally car, I go rid of most alloy bits. It just makes the car easier to break. I rarley break the plastic. Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:06 PM
BlueShade Zero

Thanks for the advice. If i can (or think i can) get the used one cheap, like under 70$, i will. Will be good for spare parts if nothing else.

i'll make sure to buy that slipper clutch. I've read somewhere that that slipper doesnt allow the gear cover (which is a reqirement in my eyes) to fit properly. Is that true? If so, whats the fix?

I've got my eyes on this motor right here. Will it fit? I'm worried about that tab it has, but its made by the same people that make the other hop ups for this model. Also one of the best deals ive ever seen, since the novak i was looking at was 180$

EDIT:

Can any one link a DF03 Slipper clutch thats available in the US?RCmart doesnt have one in stock, and i dont wana wait a month to get mine from Japan over Ebay (and watch it get lost).

Old 02-20-2011, 06:09 PM
sneth

looking for an in stock slipper myself. I'm running stock motor until I can track one down. I have an EZRun 9t combo waiting.
I usually don't replace anything with alloy until stuff starts to break. The wierd thing is my chassis snapped before I even finished building. I think my threadlock reacted with the plastic or i overtightened the front and rear assemblies.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:29 PM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: BlueShade Zero

Thanks for the advice. If i can (or think i can) get the used one cheap, like under 70$, i will. Will be good for spare parts if nothing else.

i'll make sure to buy that slipper clutch. I've read somewhere that that slipper doesnt allow the gear cover (which is a reqirement in my eyes) to fit properly. Is that true? If so, whats the fix?

I've got my eyes on this motor right here. Will it fit? I'm worried about that tab it has, but its made by the same people that make the other hop ups for this model. Also one of the best deals ive ever seen, since the novak i was looking at was 180$

EDIT:

Can any one link a DF03 Slipper clutch thats available in the US? RCmart doesnt have one in stock, and i dont wana wait a month to get mine from Japan over Ebay (and watch it get lost).
I have the slipper clutch on my df03ra, so I know it fits with the cover on with the stock gears. The slipper comes with an extra gear(meant for the df03 buggy) that is larger, so maybe that one won't fit, IDK.

Personally, I would stick with a system made by, Novak, Castle Creations, Tekin, or Traxxas's VXL system. Hobbywing EZ Run systems are getting popular, too.

Tamiya makes quite a few upgrades for their df03ra.
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/rcp...=desc&offset=1
The Tamiya slipper clutch kit can be bought on ebay for only about $25 shipped. Just search "df03 slipper".
Old 02-20-2011, 08:45 PM
MD6

When your looking for a Tamiya part just Google it by typing the words Tamiya, space, and then the part number or type the letters "tam" immediately followed by the part number and Google it.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:06 PM
BlueShade Zero

Thanks I've read some issues with fitting the batteries. Can you guys post the LiPo batteries you've gotten to fit WITH OUT modification? Based on the dimensions that were stated above, this should ALLLMOST fit:

Tekin Battery

and this likely WONT fit

Yeah Racing Battery

If you guys can LINK the batteries you've gotten to fit though, we can get an estimate of what will fit and what wont, and also what batteries can be used with out modification.

BTW i got that used DF03RA for only ~130$ shipped. Not bad with all the mods it has on it(though i'm abit sad i dont get to build it). Hope he doesnt forget the block wheels and body.
However, if the INNER body isnt there, do i just get the dark impact shell and cut it down?

Also, as of now, that Yeah Racing motor is looking like a pretty sweet deal, being that its only 100$ for what most cost double that. I agree that going with random brands is a gamble, but if any one can recommend a brushless/ESC combo for a similar price, that would be excellent.

Last, can anyone reccomend a good lipo charger/balancer? I like the X-605 i found but i dont have a DC&gt;ACpower supply for it, nor do i think it would be a good idea since i cant use it on a ship...

Old 02-21-2011, 07:20 AM
bridge69

BlueShade Zero,

If this was available before I got my EzRun 9T it would have been my choice......The new Castle Creation Sidewinder V2 4600KV...[link]http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAUHR&P=7[/link]

Buy a $10 membership and then all of the shipping is free in the US. I am in Canada and I have an account and have saved alot even with $15 shipping charges per kit. Even without the membership they often offer free US shipping and right now have $25 off of a $199 or more order. Bottom line is that you will save if your membership fee in the first transaction. Have a look at the benefits [link]http://www.towerhobbies.com/ssc.html[/link]

As for batteries these fit, but you will have to use Deans or similar and cut back the wires a bit [link]http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=11598[/link]

Here are the Deans knock offs from HK [link]http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=11961[/link].

HK is a great source for all things RC, batteries, chargers, etc....

I would probably go with a slightly smaller LIPO once I have to replace the two I bought. They fit but are not the easiest to switch out. But they do have a long run time.

Old 02-21-2011, 05:51 PM
BlueShade Zero

Well guys, thanks for all the info. Cant wait until i get my DF03 RA (even though i'm a tad sad i wont build it, there will be others). Unfortunately, it'll be awhile until i can actually DRIVE the car, since my wallet is pretty tapped out, and i still need a LiPo+charger (might buy a NiMh first since i have a charger for that), a motor+esc, and a traxxas receiver. Not much, should able to pick it up this weekend, and hopefully my stuff on ebay will start coming in too.

I've decided i'll end up doing it right, with high grade parts (As i always have) rather then bargain, meaning HiTec Servo's, either a Mamba or a Novak motor/esc (never used tekin, but MY that red can looks sexy), and probably Hyperion batteries. Speaking of, i'm assuming that there isnt a 3s that will fit, nor any mods to make it fit...

What are some of the hop ups that are worth while to reduce slop? I hear the steering is pretty bad for that...

and what do you guys think is a good KV? I'm thinking of going for something with a bit more muscle this round, versus my standard way of speed speed speed. I'm thinking a 5600 KV might work nicely. Something relevant to a 10 or maybe 12 turn. Something powerful that can be geared up.

My goal is to have it exert the best performance possible while still being able to go 30-40 MPH, much faster is both generally beyond both my skill range, and the capacity of most chassis's. I have a speedster anyways which, when geared, can already do triple didgets. Handling sucks though.
I'm working right now on a Traxxas 1/16th rally to do the same, but its small size is a large impedance. I would go 1/8th scale, or maybe even 1/5th but i cant store something that large right now since my line of work keeps my ability to store personal things highly limited.

Also, what about that inner shell? I doubt this guy is going to have one, and i may even need a new body. Do HPI ones fit?

Thanks for all the help thus far.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:19 PM
tabalizer

First! GREAT Thread!

I have got my DF03RA with a Lancia Delta HF Integrale body. I have built the car with the standard parts, but still have to paint and tune the car. I have also ordered som hop-ups and upgrades.

Anyway there are som things I do not understand, and that´s the thing about engines and batteries configurations. I am an "old" RC man but have been out of the  game since the last millennium.

1. Can someone please tell me how the brushless engine and the new ESC works. Everyone is talking about T and KV combined with 2S and 3S batteries and 35A and 60A ECS. I really haven't understood it! I know this is not a genuine df03ra questions but I hope you fine guys can explain.

2. I have ordered a slipper clutch, Hobbywing Ezrun 13T, 3Racers Alumn Steering Savers, and Yeah Racing dampers (Both 60mm and 50mm for rallying and for touring), Dark Impact body, and offcourse genuine Lancia Delta set of wheels and rims. Is there any other "must have" hop-ups or set ups for this car? I have also ordered a new Delta body that will be painted like the Delta HF Integrale EVO 2 Final Editon in Ruby Red with blue and yellow stripes. (Yeah... I am a real Lancia addict!)

Please visit my website for information about me and my RC cars and drone! www.tabalizer.no/rc

Keep posting guys! I hope I can contribute later with answers and tips
Old 02-28-2011, 07:57 PM
BlueShade Zero

would love to know where you ordered the steering savers from. I cant seem to find them anywhere.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:42 PM
bridge69

I got this 3Racing steering saver and it comes with 4 ball bearings. It works well. [link]http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/rc-df03-3racing-alum-steering-saver-df0310-p-20921.html?cPath=595_744_1292[/link]

Stellamodels is also a site that has lots of Tamiya products as well. [link]http://www.stellamodels.net[/link]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.