Community
Search
Notices
Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

BIG LAMA

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 04:25 AM
aircrash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BIG LAMA

Hi Edmund, Simon and Brian!
Little Spiros, Nikolaos (Nick), is great! Just started to walk.
He wears ecological washable diapers. Hours of pre-wash, washing, drying, ironing... But it`s for his best.
So you can have an image of how hard is to fly, and if there is any broken part then it is impossible to find time to fix it.

He loves the helicopters.
Every day looks at the Syma S107, although there are some Big Lama next to it.
Cause he had not seen a Big Lama flying, till a week ago, while he watches the S107 flying indoors for many months.
I have bought (for) him a few S107 more, so he watches for more time.
If I don`t fly one a day then he looks at it, then at me, and makes me understand what he wants.

I wish good flights to you and the best for your family.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:35 AM
rikybob

ORIGINAL: aircrash

Hi Edmund, Simon and Brian!
Little Spiros, Nikolaos (Nick), is great! Just started to walk.
He wears ecological washable diapers. Hours of pre-wash, washing, drying, ironing... But it`s for his best.
So you can have an image of how hard is to fly, and if there is any broken part then it is impossible to find time to fix it.

He loves the helicopters.
Every day looks at the Syma S107, although there are some Big Lama next to it.
Cause he had not seen a Big Lama flying, till a week ago, while he watches the S107 flying indoors for many months.
I have bought (for) him a few S107 more, so he watches for more time.
If I don`t fly one a day then he looks at it, then at me, and makes me understand what he wants.

I wish good flights to you and the best for your family.

Best to you and YOURS Spiros!!!

b
Old 08-17-2011, 12:43 AM
aircrash

I bought another BOL. A blue one.
I have so many that I don`t know how many they are...
I love them!

This one has a slight difference to the tail. It misses the lowerpart of the edge fin and this makes it lighter.
Maybe they did this so to improve the cog, I think.

Anyway, I`ll tryto fly more than buying...
Old 08-17-2011, 08:08 AM
Buz

Hey, guys! Good to see some of the old crowd here. My last Big Lama was the one that caught fire while I was flying it. I wish I had video of that one. It went down in a blaze of glory! lol
You aren't going to believe this, but I flew my only remaining coaxial .... the huge Blitzworks .... into the top of a 60 ft pine tree. It was hanging by a vine.... so, yeah... I had to use the shotgun again. One shot broke the vine and down it came....nose first...CRUNCH! IT still flies.... but it looks as if it's been through a paper shredder. I guess I should buy another body for it. [:@]

Buzz
Old 08-17-2011, 08:40 AM
aircrash

Hey Buzz,

I hope you`re doing well.

Well... you know what I would suggest.
...to buy a Big Lama !

My last Big Lama was the one that caught fire while I was flying it. I wish I had video of that one. It went down in a blaze of glory! lol
This would be a spectacular video!
I myself have lost one BOL. Wind took it and sent it to a closed property... that was a loss... but in its place I took 5-6 more BOL...
Old 08-17-2011, 11:19 AM
Buz

Hey Buzz,

I hope you`re doing well.

Well... you know what I would suggest.
...to buy a Big Lama !

My last Big Lama was the one that caught fire while I was flying it. I wish I had video of that one. It went down in a blaze of glory! lol
This would be a spectacular video!
I myself have lost one BOL. Wind took it and sent it to a closed property... that was a loss... but in its place I took 5-6 more BOL...

Hi Spiros!

Things here are fine... but over the past few weeks it has been too hot to even go outside. For the coming week the forecast is for 94F, dropping all the way to 85F at night. Our power bill looks like the national debt! If the A/C breaks we'll surely die! Actually, I do still have 2 BOL frames that fly. BBBBBuuuuutttttt, bbboootttthh nnneeeddd nnneeeww eeexxxxttteeeeennnnddddeeedddd sssshhhhaaaafffftttt rrreeeeppplllaaaccceeeddd! TTThhey SSSShhhhakkkke so badly I'm afraid they will fly apart!

You know, I was going to video that flight with my sunglasses camera, but I left them inside. What a mistake! I think you need help. You have 6 of these and all the other big CP heli's also.... Remember mate, the first step is to admit that you have a problem....... HAHAHA! You've got that old disease... "Helioverosis"

Take care,

Buzz
Old 08-18-2011, 04:49 PM
Dongskie

Had some fun hovering...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQqobyCbAgg[/youtube]
Old 08-23-2011, 10:59 AM
aircrash

Well, this is the new fuselage I was talking about.
You can see that one of the blue ones has a difference to the edge of the tail.

Also I would suggest to make an adjustment to the swashplate`s linkages so the heli becomes more steady and precice.
It will loose some pointless responsiveness - as it is too nervous this way- but it will become a true nice to hover and control.
You can see in the secod picture showing the swashplate different lenght arms / linkages.
To make it more precice, stable and nice hovering you must use the short linkages.
Of course you must adjust the Ring-link push-rod as well and maybe the single hole push rod too. So to have a perfect trimmed heli (with trim at the center) and servo arms at horizontal position (important).

Now the photos (some of my Big Outdoor Lama).

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30495.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	1652649   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34698.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	1652650  
Old 08-23-2011, 11:50 AM
Buz

Well, this is the new fuselage I was talking about.
You can see that one of the blue ones has a difference to the edge of the tail.

Also I would suggest to make an adjustment to the swashplate`s linkages so the heli becomes more steady and precice.
It will loose some pointless responsiveness - as it is too nervous this way- but it will become a true nice to hover and control.
You can see in the secod picture showing the swashplate different lenght arms / linkages.
To make it more precice, stable and nice hovering you must use the short linkages.
Of course you must adjust the Ring-link push-rod as well and maybe the single hole push rod too. So to have a perfect trimmed heli (with trim at the center) and servo arms at horizontal position (important).

Now the photos (some of my Big Outdoor Lama).

Nice fleet of Big Lamas! You mentioned a different edge on the tail fin. The last one I bought had the tail rotor mounted at the very top of the tail fin. It looks ridiculous.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:15 PM
aircrash

ORIGINAL: Buz
Nice fleet of Big Lamas! You mentioned a different edge on the tail fin. The last one I bought had the tail rotor mounted at the very top of the tail fin. It looks ridiculous.
Hi Buzz,

Thank you!
But this must be less than the half fleet actually.
I don`t really know how many they are though. Trully.
The other day I was counting the spare parts I have and before this I was thinking I`m short on flybars. I thought Ihad only 5 or 7, so I bought some and I ended with 17 after I count them ! Too many flybars, I could have some more other parts.
I should had made a list, so Idid finally.

I`m a big fan (or crazy) to the BOL.

Yes, I agree. The new tail of the fuselage is ridiculous.
But it is lighter than the old -and lice looking. So it has a better c.o.g. out of the box.
Not that it is important to me as I mod every BOLIfly.

Spiros

Old 08-27-2011, 08:01 AM
Buz

Hi Buzz,

Thank you!
But this must be less than the half fleet actually.
I don`t really know how many they are though. Trully.
The other day I was counting the spare parts I have and before this I was thinking I`m short on flybars. I thought I had only 5 or 7, so I bought some and I ended with 17 after I count them ! Too many flybars, I could have some more other parts.
I should had made a list, so I did finally.

I`m a big fan (or crazy) to the BOL.

Yes, I agree. The new tail of the fuselage is ridiculous.
But it is lighter than the old -and lice looking. So it has a better c.o.g. out of the box.
Not that it is important to me as I mod every BOL I fly.

Spiros

Hi Spiros....

I think you need more helicopters and parts! LOL! The BOL is a lot of fun to fly... I only have a couple left... but I've been "flying" CP heli's lately. But not very well! I modify mine also... The way I fly I HAVE to! The other day I flew out an entire battery pack.... flying backwards. But, that didn't end well because I tried to land on the side of our pond.... and the BOL went IN the pond! The goldfish were astounded! I ran over and pulled it out and water was pouring out of everything. But, it's hard to kill a good BOL. It still worked so I took off again trailing water behind and the only loss was a bloated battery.
Have fun, Spiros....

Buzz
Old 08-28-2011, 10:11 AM
aircrash

Hi again Buzz,

Having fun is a good thing.
Having some trouble makes it interesting.
So as you have some adventures with the BOL I try to have some (more and more). If only I get free time!
Lots of birds and parts are available. Free time is not!

Ithing I won`t ever fly a CP. With so many BOL I can`t afford spending any more money, space (already too much BOL stuff to store), and time to fix a different bird.
I could not fly it in the neighborhood either. I would have to go to a field.

Now I found some time to test some brushless motors/gyro/mixer I bought... last year... so to make a second bb BOL.
I did not completed the project with success. It is either the receiver or the esc that make a lowest throttle setting problem.
If Ihad more time I would test very single part to the #1 bbBOL, so to see what`s the problem. Or at least try another receiver or esc, as Ihave some.

Have a good time,

Spiros
Old 08-28-2011, 11:02 AM
Buz

Hi again Buzz,

Having fun is a good thing.
Having some trouble makes it interesting.
So as you have some adventures with the BOL I try to have some (more and more). If only I get free time!
Lots of birds and parts are available. Free time is not!

I thing I won`t ever fly a CP. With so many BOL I can`t afford spending any more money, space (already too much BOL stuff to store), and time to fix a different bird.
I could not fly it in the neighborhood either. I would have to go to a field.

Now I found some time to test some brushless motors/gyro/mixer I bought... last year... so to make a second bb BOL.
I did not completed the project with success. It is either the receiver or the esc that make a lowest throttle setting problem.
If I had more time I would test very single part to the #1 bbBOL, so to see what`s the problem. Or at least try another receiver or esc, as I have some.

Have a good time,

Spiros
Yes, time flies when you're having fun. Better stick with the BOL's if you don't have much room. Another bb BOL? The low throttle setting has the same problem as my Gaui quad. Try setting the endpoints on your throttle to 80% and see if that helps. I had to reset my esc's afterward. I took my CP 450 out to fly and I left it at neutral pitch and ran it up... then hit idle up for full throttle. I gave it some positive pitch to take off and nothing happened. Finally I was at full positive pitch and it never even tried to lift off! LOL! I found that my CP linkages are binding. Oil didn't help any... So, I don't think I have enough servo throw. I'll have to reposition the servo arm. If I can't get off the ground.......... How can I be expected to crash!
Old 08-28-2011, 12:14 PM
aircrash

If I can't get off the ground.......... How can I be expected to crash!
LOL !
This is a good one!
Old 08-28-2011, 08:06 PM
Jimi2f

here's a link to a vid of my BOL night flight
 http://youtu.be/vq-6CHgrDmc
Old 09-01-2011, 10:37 AM
aircrash

After one year I had only one flight.
So I think I did well on flying indoors...
It`s a very tight place. Too bad the camera did not captured all the action to the second Big Lama.

They are all stock, except of placing the battery a tad forwards.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpshAywQF7Y[/youtube]

Happy flying !
Or happy buying -that`s what I practice more than flying.

Spiros
Old 09-01-2011, 11:41 PM
Edmund2

Spiros, I am so rusted from lack of flying that I have to start all over again. At least over the next couple of weekends I can get some flying in. Still have not really flown my 550 TRex but that will come when I am ready to do so.

Edmund
Old 09-02-2011, 03:48 AM
aircrash

Hi Edmund.

I hope you get some free time to fly so to get used back to it.
A Trex 550 sounds good. If I had not got in love with the Big lama then I would get one, probably a 450 or 500.

What happened to your Belt CPX ? Do you still have it in your fleet ?

My BOL fleet and spares list has grown up so much in a point that only a nuts could have done.

Greetings from Greece,

Spiros
Old 09-02-2011, 04:34 AM
Edmund2

I still have the two CP's and at the moment it lifts off more than the others. I still am limited to flying space so it is small circuits and howering. The 550 is so still in the air that one can flatten a lipo with it sitting in the same place. But to spin that one up there must be lots of space.

Edmund
Old 09-04-2011, 11:22 AM
aircrash

Well, Ifigured out why my #2 boardless brushless setup can`t work.
I tested the new dionysus design coaxial mixer and the new telebee GR201 and the new motors and the new servo to the #1 boardless brushless BOL.
So this makes a change of the esc and the receiver. lots
This time it worked.

So I tested then with the new receiver. No go.
Then I tested with another new receiver. (you should have known already Ihave lots of parts)
Hmm... this worked.
Then I figured out why one worked and the other did not. It was a difference to the approach.
It needs to be paired (bound to Tx) when all (mixer, esc, gyro) are connected but gyro is not powered.

Then again the new receiver from Miracle Mart once the battery is connected it is initialized very quickly. You can hear the servo come to neutral point while its led gets solid. Ihave bought only quality products from Miracle Mart.
The other, from ebay, does not. It takes some time till its led get solid.
I think one reason could be the short antenna wire it has. It is shorter than normal.
I have to check (sometime).

I did not managed to get a hobbywing v-tail mixer to work. Neither an esky <span class="st">EK2-0704B to work. Who knows.

So now I know I can make a second </span>boardless brushless BOL (after one year I have bought the parts... )<span class="st">

Big Outdoor Lama for ever !

</span>
Old 09-05-2011, 05:25 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

Hey Guys,
I just got a BOL (new red/white style from Xheli with alum case for $119 plus shipping. It flies very well. I'm sticking with stock gear until I have problems.
I've had quite a few coaxial helis in the past. Both Eflite and Lama. For now all I have is this one and one MCX.
I have read a good bit of this thread and saved a lot of links for future reference.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:15 AM
aircrash

Happy flying, enjoy.

I have a case (or two) too. I took a glance at it and Ithink it can carry a BOL with extended shaft if I cut the foam a bit and move the whole helicopter to the bottom (and as well as move the underneath foam that holds the Tx).
Else Iwill have to remove the upper rotor head, one grub screw it is, and carry it this way.
But I think it fits just right.

The red BOLis the most beautiful in my opinion.
Ihave 4 red RTF and one red fuselage...

You know who will still have a BOL or two in a few years, or decades... ROFL
Parts are not a problem. Lots.
I must be nuts !

Old 09-07-2011, 07:36 PM
erdnuckel2

ORIGINAL: Wheelnut

Hey Guys,
I just got a BOL (new red/white style from Xheli with alum case for $119 plus shipping. It flies very well. I'm sticking with stock gear until I have problems.
I've had quite a few coaxial helis in the past. Both Eflite and Lama. For now all I have is this one and one MCX.
I have read a good bit of this thread and saved a lot of links for future reference.
could not resist that temptation either ... but it will stay in the box and stay stock ... untilt 10year annniversary ... in the meantime I can use all my spare parts to build some new BOLs ...

(Note to Aircrash: You are definitely NOT crazy bud, simply "a little concerned" you might run out of spares at the most inconvenient moment ... just like me ...)

E2

Old 09-09-2011, 09:55 AM
aircrash

No, I must be nuts!

Anyway, I added some other stuff to (for) my BOL fleet.
They are not only those, but something new (Ihave all the other coloros, blue, red, green fuselages).

Ohh, Iwas shopping at Miracle Mart and it happened to see some new stuff for the BOL to the new products ad.
At first I thought I mistaken and read something wrong as I was looking at the BOL spare parts for quite some time
and had not seen them.
But then I found those <span style="color: rgb(255, 0, 0);">new</span> xtreme Big Lama stuff are listed only at the xtreme productions upgrades category.
http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/in...&amp;cPath=110

Phew, I bought some!
But left many for you!

ORIGINAL: Wheelnut

(Note to Aircrash: You are definitely NOT crazy bud, simply "a little concerned" you might run out of spares at the most inconvenient moment ... just like me ...)
Well, Ithink I have more spares than Iwill ever use.
But then again Ithink they are not and so I buy more.
I must be nuts!

Spiros

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58412.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	1659870  
Old 09-09-2011, 08:10 PM
erdnuckel2

So what's up with the fuses Spiros??

I thought you just bought the Xtreme pod-and-boom conversion ... (like me ...) How far did yours travel already? Has it already left China?? I hope mine will be here before I go visit my parents ... I would like to put some kind of a review up on my blog - but then again, what I really want to know is how does it "stack up" against the pod-and-boom "kit" I "collected" ... from various different helis and a custom made part (from a friend of mine from germany)

Anyway, looking forward to read YOUR review of the parts ... and I still disagree, you are NOTnuts ...

E2

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.