Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Official DF-03 Ra Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 04:26 PM
BlueShade Zero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official DF-03 Ra Thread

Yes, they pop out no matter how i set the foam pieces. Doesnt matter if i try to over stuff it, and if its too loose they literally fall out.i probably screwed with it for an hour before i gave up. The angle is too much, the way they sit in one edge of the dogbone is ALREADY sticking out, it just takes a little pressure and it jams up and starts stripping gears. I nearly smoked my clutch by "just trying it". I think this thing never had the right bones to begin with, it was already seriously touchy when i got it. This things starting to piss me off TBH, one reason i never buy Tamiya. Figured this was above past experience, and reading peoples posts i assumed it would be a different story but so far its been more of the same. Kinda glad i never bought the VDF now.

Anyway, i still need to know how long the dog bone is so i can get a CVD. i think cramming in an oversized CVD will fix this problem, since its held fast on one end, so no spacers required on the other end. That will allow it to sit in slightly deeper, and move freely as the shocks actuate. ALSO it will improve the shock action as a hole, since the crappy way it was built if you over stuff it (which is easy) it will start interfering with the shocks normal operation.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:50 PM
BlueShade Zero

well i got the bones to look like they might not fall out... its pretty close though and if it binds my clutch can kiss its ass good bye. I had to screw with the suspension settings, and for the front i had to carve the hell out of the a-arms so the c hubs could sit at a larger angle. Before they would just limit the downward travel because they would knock up against the arms, i cut them up so that they dont touch anymore... took some work and my fingers are numb from shaving aluminum with my x-acto...

Also, i replaced all the arms with the plastic ones again. soon as i figure out where my battery cover went, i'll go test it.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:17 PM
Rody63

Can't wait to see how your increased ride height works out. Keep us posted.

I just received my Five Stars main shaft from Japan. It really doesn't look like much, but if it does the trick, I'll be happy. I haven't tried to install it yet, but I bought some plastic repair stuff from Magnum to try and fix the diff case so I'll be able to tighten it up a bit. I'll post if it works out or not. I was able to play with the car a bit last week, and it ran much better, but every once in a while I'd still hear a gear slip when I made a hard turn. This is still on a stock silver can, so I still kind of hesitate putting any real power in the car until I can get the gears running smoothly. With stock power, it's ok, but a little slow to be really fun.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:55 PM
Rody63

Ok, I installed the Five Stars Main shaft, and tried the plastic repair stuff on the threads in the gear box. The plastic repair stuff didn't really work, and the gear cover is still not as tight as I'd like. It's really nice how easy it is to get to the gearbox on this car. I'm used to having to tear a whole car apart in order to get to the diffs and main gears. I ran the car, but I think I'm going to have to re route my radio wires, because it's really glitchy. I don't think it's the radio or receiver, because I'd used them on another car before without problems. The car ran smoothly though. I am hearing another sound though. It kinda sounds like one of my ball bearings is missing a ball or two. I'll have to investigate further.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:51 AM
Murd0ck

Which CVDs or Universals fit the DF03RA?

I was thinking of getting the ones for the TT01/TA04.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:42 PM
sneth

those are the ones
Old 05-12-2011, 01:04 PM
SerpentCT4S
My Feedback: (1)

I recently put a new Castle Creations Sidewinder SV2 5700kv system in my DF03. I also got a 2s lipo for it.

I ran it today on the street for a bit. I then decided to finally find a "rally like" spot to drive. I went to the park and ran it in the parking lot. It had some gravel, sand, dirt, etc. It was a blast!!

I use the Dark Impact body under my Subaru body, but I still noticed alot of dust got in. When I got home, i used my air compressor and it looked new again.

Also, would you guys recommend the slipper clutch on my car? What will that do for me?

Here are some pictures.

Old 05-12-2011, 01:08 PM
dragnse7en
Banned

That's awesome can you post a video?
Old 05-12-2011, 01:59 PM
SerpentCT4S

ORIGINAL: dragnse7en

That's awesome can you post a video?
I don't know how. Can I take a video on my phone and upload it to my computer?
Old 05-12-2011, 04:21 PM
dragnse7en
Banned

sure as long as you can find the video file when you're connected.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:20 PM
SerpentCT4S

ORIGINAL: dragnse7en

sure as long as you can find the video file when you're connected.
I will take a video next time I take it out.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:21 AM
CWHFSR

ORIGINAL: SerpentCT4S

Also, would you guys recommend the slipper clutch on my car? What will that do for me?
I'm pretty sure everyone recommends the slipper clutch. I'm not sure exactly what it does other than helping save the power train (the gears specifically) from hard starts and after jumps).
Old 06-01-2011, 06:48 AM
davzilla

ordered my evo X  kit from tower yesterday, 195 bucks shipped to canada
Old 06-02-2011, 07:40 AM
FoxintheDen
My Feedback: (42)

Hey all,

I got a question for those running castle motor's. I have the new sv2 sidewinder and 6900kv motor. I know the motor is a hot one and so I limited it on my transmitter to 65%. But my esc is running hot...not the motor. I am running a 23pinion and stock spur on 2cell lipo. I was planning on re-gearing but the damn motor is such a tight fit I don't think a smaller pinion will fit. Any idea's?
Old 06-02-2011, 10:24 AM
dragnse7en
Banned

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to zip-tie a computer cooling fan on top of the SV2, and wire it to the BATT port on the receiver. I'm not surprised that a hot motor like that is heating up that esc since it doesn't have a fan.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:01 PM
davzilla

i got mine yesterday, put it together and took it out a bunch already. it's PERFECT for what i wanted <div>
</div><div>Soooo, happy! </div>
Old 06-08-2011, 07:15 PM
davzilla

<div>haven't painted the Evo X body yet, this is unfortunately my basher body.</div><div></div><div>then when i was cleaning up i noticed these F+3/R+6 chrome te37's soooo....</div><div>
<div></div><div></div></div><div></div><div>haven't glue the tires, doesn't seem to be an issue with the gearing i'm running.</div>
Old 06-08-2011, 10:28 PM
TimMc333

Hi all!<div>
</div><div>I've been reading through this thread with great excitement - I have a DF03 ra on order, the 2008 WRC subaru.</div><div>
</div><div>Now I'm planning on getting a brushless setup in it, possibly an EZ run 9T, not sure yet. I'm wondering what the best hop up part would be? So that I don't destroy everything within 10 seconds of thrashing!</div><div>
</div><div>I've seen the carbon damper stays, TRF damper sets, aluminium this and aluminium that… What parts should I prioritise on getting?  </div><div>
</div><div>I would appreciate any help, thanks! </div>
Old 06-09-2011, 04:11 AM
alexchen86

Has anyone replaced the front diff yet? I just installed a new set of bevel gears front and rear and also cleaned out the front differential balls before reinstalling.

However the balls don't make contact with the plate. I ordered the DF-03 parts which should be the same for the DF-03Ra. I'm losing so much front end power that I can't even control it when I put on slicks to race around our local track.

What should I do?

Specs:
Sidewinder w/Castle 4600kv motor on 2S with proper gearing
Slipper Clutch/Heat Sink Bars
DF-03 dust sheild

I may also need to replace the tranny gears in the back since the top piece that holds all the gears/bearings in place came loose at one point. I just retapped them with longer screws and a little CA. (Seems like I need to rebuild the entire kit with the amount of bashing I've done lol)</p>
Old 06-09-2011, 05:59 AM
dragnse7en
Banned

Are you using any Paragon or other tire traction compound
Old 06-09-2011, 08:47 AM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: TimMc333

Hi all!<div>
</div><div>I've been reading through this thread with great excitement - I have a DF03 ra on order, the 2008 WRC subaru.</div><div>
</div><div>Now I'm planning on getting a brushless setup in it, possibly an EZ run 9T, not sure yet. I'm wondering what the best hop up part would be? So that I don't destroy everything within 10 seconds of thrashing!</div><div>
</div><div>I've seen the carbon damper stays, TRF damper sets, aluminium this and aluminium that… What parts should I prioritise on getting? </div><div>
</div><div>I would appreciate any help, thanks! </div>
For running brushless, you'll definitely want the slipper clutch kit.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:56 PM
TimMc333

ORIGINAL: The Mad Modder

For running brushless, you'll definitely want the slipper clutch kit.

Alright, the slipper clutch is definitely on my parts list. I've read that the steering is quite sloppy on this chassis, what upgrades would fix this?
<br type="_moz" />
Old 06-09-2011, 04:40 PM
The Mad Modder

Alright, the slipper clutch is definitely on my parts list. I've read that the steering is quite sloppy on this chassis, what upgrades would fix this?
<br type=''_moz'' />
Well, the stock servo saver is a bit wobbly, an upgrade one would help.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:14 PM
TimMc333

Sorry, I'm very new to this: is there a specific item number or size of servo saver I would need for the DF03ra? Or just a generic aluminium one??
<br type="_moz" />
Old 06-10-2011, 04:21 AM
The Mad Modder

Sorry, I'm very new to this: is there a specific item number or size of servo saver I would need for the DF03ra? Or just a generic aluminium one??
<br type=''_moz'' />
I think you're thinking of a servo horn. I'm talking about a servo saver, which has a spring in it that flexes under heavy loads. That way if you hit something, some of the shock is absorbed by the servo saver which "saves" the servo's gears from becoming stripped. The saver you use depends on the servo you use. Futaba, Hitec and Airtronics all use their own number of splines on the output shaft of the servo. I'm pretty sure Sanwa and Airtronics use the same type. Smaller companies usually will use the same type of outputs as one of the larger ones listed above.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.