Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Official Tamiya TT-01 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 09:51 PM
RiCeY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Tamiya TT-01 Thread

TT-01D with 9 turn motor IN CAR Video

OK this is the vid, doesnt really seem like its going that fast watching the vid...

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v4...nt=Racecam.flv

And we found a really small guy to sit in the car while we were running it, heres a pic of him as well...

Old 09-19-2006, 09:53 PM
RiCeY

oh yeh and I hit a pole in the vid but no damage hahaha
Old 09-19-2006, 09:59 PM
saturnv7890

[link=http://img81.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tt01001uu8.jpg][/link]

stock cept for durtrax streak esc, duratrax 20t photon speed motor, and pvc drift tires (temporary)

oh and where do you get adjustable arms?
Old 09-19-2006, 10:44 PM
egagnier

I got my first R/C car a couple of weeks ago and it's been consuming all of my time since I got it! I've done quite a few upgrades already and I just placed an order online for some more stuff but I'm having trouble finding information online about gears and motors. Can someone help me understand? I know that the T when talking about the motor is the amount of turns that the motor has and the T when talking about the pinion gear is the amount of threads but how do I change the threads on the big gear that attaches to that? I haven't seen any new gears online or ebay, have I just been looking in the right places? One of the other things that I would like tips on is with the motor mount and what holes to use on it. I know it tells me in the manual but do I have to change the main big gear if I change the pinion gear to 19T or 20T? What is the benefit of doing this?

Is there a website that will help a newbie with the technical info for setting up a car and making adjustments?

I bought the 190 Benz Kit with a basic Futuba radio. I have a decent charger (don't remember the name) and two 'fun packs'. I don't plan on racing (yet!) but I want my car to be fast and since I started reading this thread, I would really like to get it to drift.

Here are the upgrades that I've bought:
Aluminum Shaft
Aluminum Motor Heatsink
Aluminum Motor Mount
CVA oil shocks
15T ESC (can't remember the brand name, cost me about $40)
Speed Gems II 16T Motor
Aluminum Steering assembly
Adjustable Tie Rod set
Aluminum Battery heatsink
Alloy Front One-Way
Alloy Servo Mount

Is there anything that I'm missing? I keep on reading about a bearing set or something, do I really need that?
I'll post some pictures as soon as I get all of the parts in the mail and installed.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:52 PM
egagnier

ORIGINAL: RiCeY

omg I just chucked in a 9 turn with 19t/61t and this thing HAMMERS !!!! Gets a bit hot but so have to have more cool down rest stops hahaha

Going to try 25t/55t tommorrow hahaha

This is what I'm talking about...I'm assuming the 19t is the pinion gear but what is the 61t? Also, I don't see anything in the manual for the hole you're supposed to use in the motor mount above 22T. How do you use a 25T pinion with the motor mount?

Thanks! I appreciate any info you guys have...
Old 09-19-2006, 10:56 PM
RiCeY

Your car should have a 61T main gear (white). With this gear you can run a 19T through to a 22T spur gear (metal)

To use a higher spur gear you need to change the pinion gear to either a 58T or a 55T.

The higher the number of teeth on the spur gear the higher top speed and the lower the teeth on the pinion gear the higher the top speed. So basically running 61T/19T would give lowest top speed but make the car accellerate fastest and running 55T/25T will give the highest top speed with reduced accelleration.

You can buy all your gears at any hobby shop.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:57 PM
RiCeY

yeah the pinion gear is the small metal gear and the spur gear is the large plastic gear. Both are changeable.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:03 PM
egagnier

Thanks for the info Ricey, I'll try getting a 25T/55T at my LHS this week. I'm assuming that the stock 19T/61T is fine with the upgrades that I've done? In your opinion of course...
Old 09-19-2006, 11:05 PM
egagnier

Oh yeah, what hole am I supposed to use on the motor mount for the 25T? Is there a conversion that I'm supposed to use because I'm changing the spur gear?
Old 09-19-2006, 11:11 PM
Rare

ORIGINAL: egagnier

Oh yeah, what hole am I supposed to use on the motor mount for the 25T? Is there a conversion that I'm supposed to use because I'm changing the spur gear?
Depends on what spur you are using.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:16 PM
egagnier

If I'm using the 55T spur...thanks!
Old 09-19-2006, 11:54 PM
RiCeY

25/55 is directly vertical on the engine mount ie 12 and 6 oclock if the mount were a clock haha

And yes 19/61 is fine also
Old 09-20-2006, 12:03 AM
RiCeY

Just took the car out for a test run with the 25/55 gears. Was going great till I misjudged going around a pole :O Just clipped it putting the car into a spin and the upper susp arm came off and I lost a dogbone... couldnt find it anywhere. Well nothing broke I screwed the arm back in and its all good.

Heres a couple of flybys before the crash.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v4...rent=Video.flv
Old 09-20-2006, 03:58 AM
jimmbeam72

Holy Moly Ricey! that's insanely fast, I can't wait to get my TT-01 up and running, been loading up on upgrades. As soon as the wife is
away visiting relatives in her home country I'll be straight onto it. I wonder if my 11t motor will perform close to the 9t?.Oh yer, how long does your car go for with such a high set up?[X(]
Old 09-20-2006, 12:07 PM
RiCeY

Yeah id say the 11t would be close to the 9t performance wise.

I get about 10 minutes out of it before I have to let it cool down as it gets very hot
Old 09-20-2006, 01:04 PM
Rare

Just took the car out for a test run with the 25/55 gears. Was going great till I misjudged going around a pole :O Just clipped it putting the car into a spin and the upper susp arm came off and I lost a dogbone... couldnt find it anywhere. Well nothing broke I screwed the arm back in and its all good.

Heres a couple of flybys before the crash.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v4...rent=Video.flv
How did you ge the 25/55 to work? I cant[:@] What position on the motor mount do you have it on?
Old 09-20-2006, 02:07 PM
jimmbeam72

Hi R?rebreed,
The 25/55 are placed at 12 and 6 oclock if seen as a clock as mentioned by ricey earlier. This is good to know as I'll be setting that one up soon!
I have a medium damper oil set and was wandering which of the three oils I use? There's the green, blue and purple
in the set and they have numbers, no idea what this means, would it be the density of oil?
Old 09-20-2006, 07:05 PM
egagnier

I bought a bunch of Deans Plugs today because I heard what a difference they make. I immediately noticed a difference in power. Before, the only way that my car would drift would be if I put it into reverse and spun around. Now I can do 'donuts' going forward! This is with a cheap 'fun pak' battery too!

I also bought a new 3300mh battery today at Radio Shack that I read would do a great job. I haven't tried that yet, it's downstairs charging right now...

I'm still waiting for all of my hop-ups to get here but as soon as they do and I get them all installed, I'll post some pics.

Thanks again for the help!
Old 09-20-2006, 07:39 PM
saturnv7890

hey guys i need some help here.

I need to know what i need, and what i could use. I mostly race around cones at the nearest parking lot...

so what do i need? I know i'll oil shocks... but what else? Whats a good battery?
Old 09-20-2006, 07:54 PM
egagnier

I'm new to the thread but I've read pretty much the whole thing. So I've retained quite a bit of what I've read...

Are you racing or racing/drifting?

From what I've read, this car isn't much of a racer unless you're drifting or in a class with other TT-01's but it can get up to 50+ mph with the right equipment and enough road.

From what I gather, you should start with:
aluminum drive shaft
Oil shocks
New motor (From what I've read, a good 27 Turn motor)

I would recommend reading back in the thread to get more specific info. I've learned quite a bit in a very short time by reading this complete thread.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:08 PM
RiCeY

Yep 12 and 6 oclock on the motor mount when running 25/55

I also changed all my plugs to deans

Good batteries Id say anyhting 3000 and up...
Old 09-20-2006, 09:40 PM
saturnv7890

oh yeah i'm pure racing, i dont really care about drift performance, thats just for something extra to do just for fun, so i dont really want to upgrade to help drifting, i care mostly about my grip performance. I know if i'm gonna race at this certain track i might race at, i need foams so i'll pick up some of those...

i guess i gotta get into reading mode now... [:@] ow my head hurts... i'm ready!

what exactly is so special about an aluminum drivshaft? wouldn't that hurt your acceleration?
Old 09-20-2006, 09:52 PM
egagnier

From what I've read...

The stock plastic driveshaft has too much 'give' and with a powerful motor will actually bend and hit the sides of plastic housing that it's in.

For racing I've also heard about getting the aluminum steering assembly with adjustable tie rods as well as the adjustable upper arms. I'm not very familiar with the settings but from what I recall it had something to do with camber and toe-in. The other part that I remember from my reading is the front one-way.

there's been a few posts about the upgrades for racing...happy hunting!
Old 09-20-2006, 10:22 PM
Rare

I know how to mount it. It doesnt work for me. Its a hair off.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:27 PM
RiCeY

ORIGINAL: RŲeBreed

I know how to mount it. It doesnt work for me. Its a hair off.
hrm wierd. Does your motor have 2 or 4 screw holes? Mine has 4 so maybe thats where Im getting the extra adjustment????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.