Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Carl Goldberg Ultimate 10-300 Brotherhood.

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Carl Goldberg Ultimate 10-300 Brotherhood.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 06:03 PM
bigtom802l
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Carl Goldberg Ultimate 10-300 Brotherhood.

Hello all,  I would like to be a member of the brotherhood,  I acquired my ultimate last year and its been a fun to fly.  I also have a question for the brotherhood.  I did not build the ultimate i have but did acquire a kit to build some time down the line it has to get in line.  Anyway the ultimate was built with a Y pushrod for the elevator and pull pull on the rudder.  When i pull back hard on the elevator i notice a that it also rolls when this is done.  When i get it up on the bench and checked the deflections i notice that when fully deflected one half moves more then another in the order of a degree.  This is usually not a problem until i start to really push the plane around.  I know i can mix it out with the radio but i don't really want to do that.  No real reason i just don't.  So i think my two options are to add a addition servo and have a dedicated pushrod for each elevator half.  Or set up a pull pull on the elevator using one servo.  I have a couple of ideas on how to do a pull pull but was wondering if anyone has any suggestions or pictures?<div>
</div><div>Thanks</div><div>Tom</div>
Old 02-24-2012, 06:42 PM
maukaonyx

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Tom,

I am assembling a warbird that has pull-pull for the elevator, the stock set-up. Most guys on that thread for that plane are recommending against going pull-pull on an elevator. I am going to go with a rigid control rod on that one. I just haven't seen pull-pull used on elevator even once, but that doesn't mean it won't work. I guess I am saying try it if you are comfortable, but I wouldn't myself, lol. Regarding the elevator halves, I have the old kit version and have the Y control rods to the elevator halves. I don't notice any difference in throw on each half. Perhaps your rods are not stiff enough. I would not try to mix in aileron or rudder to counteract that difference in elevator throw. Either stiffen the Y control rod using one servo, or go to 2 elevator servos with preferably short control linkages. Jon
Old 02-25-2012, 06:55 PM
peternj
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<font color="#00265e" size="2">suburban95</font>

You can get the cowl, wheel pants, and canopy from http://www.fiberglassspecialtiesinc.com/catalog.htmin the carl goldberg section ( i recomend style B cowl ) as for the wings it you PMme your email i can get you a pdf of the plans for the wing and the fuse if you want as well as the ribs and all the other stuff you'll need....

let me know, Ihave two of them and two waiting to be assembled ;-)

peter
Old 02-27-2012, 08:59 AM
alfredbmor

ORIGINAL: alfredbmor

Updated members list:

maukaonyx # 01
JohnMcGowan # 02
Cub Man # 03
DanS # 04
u2builder # 05
CRJDriver # 06
alfredbmor # 07
captinjohn # 08
yekots # 09
everwood # 10
JNorton # 11
Tailskid # 12
Crash Campbell # 13
frequent flyer # 14
daveopam # 15
VCScott # 16
PropWash # 17
eaticus # 18
mistermnkim # 19
Zebra One # 20
JimboGreek # 21
tony 0707 # 22
pushinoldrc # 23
bigal126 # 24
Steve Campbell # 25
raubold # 26
Revy # 27
twn # 28
vt-flier # 29
rk2648 # 30
Francisco Ortiz # 31
JohnB 96041 # 32
David Agar # 33
IMaflyer # 34
Reefrus # 35
Jduran157 # 36
Bipeguy03 # 37
SRQFlyer # 38
Charlie111 # 39
Flygilmore # 40
Falling leaf # 41
ericzombie # 42
Pacomb # 43
Atlanta 60 # 44
Gunneredwards # 45
braddock VC # 46
Cyberfyn # 47
Mrshea # 48
Peternj # 49
WarbirdAirRacer # 50
Abbott915 # 51
ArcticCatRider # 52
THEJADEGROUP # 53
Jjoos99 # 54
MajorTomski # 55
Twin Flyer # 56
72 #57
George Waldrop #58
TripleDeucer # 59
Johnny Zero # 60
Garthwood # 61
Moeandicy # 62
stefanP # 63
Helichong # 64
Jsarsonj # 65
andizzle # 66
Killionaire # 67
OntAeronut # 68
drbenz # 69
Eddie James # 70
CanDo # 71
Thunderbolt P47 # 72
KC10Chief # 73
TheGreatBoo # 74
Noginblue # 75
boisebiker # 76
J. Paul Saure # 77
Acrostar # 78
sirzepp # 79
Kconn3 # 80
suburban95 # 81
BigTom802l # 82

Thanks.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:01 AM
alfredbmor

ORIGINAL: bigtom802l

Hello all, I would like to be a member of the brotherhood, I acquired my ultimate last year and its been a fun to fly. I also have a question for the brotherhood. I did not build the ultimate i have but did acquire a kit to build some time down the line it has to get in line. Anyway the ultimate was built with a Y pushrod for the elevator and pull pull on the rudder. When i pull back hard on the elevator i notice a that it also rolls when this is done. When i get it up on the bench and checked the deflections i notice that when fully deflected one half moves more then another in the order of a degree. This is usually not a problem until i start to really push the plane around. I know i can mix it out with the radio but i don't really want to do that. No real reason i just don't. So i think my two options are to add a addition servo and have a dedicated pushrod for each elevator half. Or set up a pull pull on the elevator using one servo. I have a couple of ideas on how to do a pull pull but was wondering if anyone has any suggestions or pictures?<div>

BigTom:
Welcome to this great Brotherhood, your number is # 82, have fun.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:03 AM
alfredbmor

Kconn3 and Suburban 95 you are into the brotherhood as well with numbers # 80 and # 81.

Be welcome and have fun.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:11 AM
alfredbmor

ORIGINAL: bigtom802l

Hello all, I would like to be a member of the brotherhood, I acquired my ultimate last year and its been a fun to fly. I also have a question for the brotherhood. I did not build the ultimate i have but did acquire a kit to build some time down the line it has to get in line. Anyway the ultimate was built with a Y pushrod for the elevator and pull pull on the rudder. When i pull back hard on the elevator i notice a that it also rolls when this is done. When i get it up on the bench and checked the deflections i notice that when fully deflected one half moves more then another in the order of a degree. This is usually not a problem until i start to really push the plane around. I know i can mix it out with the radio but i don't really want to do that. No real reason i just don't. So i think my two options are to add a addition servo and have a dedicated pushrod for each elevator half. Or set up a pull pull on the elevator using one servo. I have a couple of ideas on how to do a pull pull but was wondering if anyone has any suggestions or pictures?<div>
Tom:

I have two servos placed at rear of the fuse, they work great, the links are short and very reliable, I used my computer radio to mix both servos and deflect identically, some servos even the same brand work different and may deflect a bit different causing an unexpected roll or dirty flying. By mixing the servos the deflection of elevators can be matched and have a real sweet performance.

On the other hand, if you do not want to make drastic changes, you could stiffen the pushrods, just like Jon said, they should work fine, as you are using only one servo and the deflection would be the the same if the pushrods and Y are made with the same distances.

Enjoy.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:49 AM
Mountain_Commando_

Hello Gentlemen,

I just bought the CG 60.5" Ultimate. Am I allowed into this thread or is this only for the 30%?
Old 03-08-2012, 04:05 PM
alfredbmor

You are welcome, please share your ultimate pictures or comments, you will be #83.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:00 AM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi guys, I'm off the list as of last Saturday, sold off the Ultimate project plane at a swap meet for a seaplane.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:39 AM
aerobatixkid

Well I picked myself up an Ultimate with Saito 150....... What servo's does everyone recommend??
Old 03-13-2012, 11:18 AM
alfredbmor

Yes !!!!!. Engine and built plane, it is a bargain.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:59 AM
Mountain_Commando_

I did some cosmetic work on my bipe. Wow, I just realized how sexy the ultimate looks. Added a pilot and instrument panel, checkered wing tips, and some stars. She looks like a beaut! Pics coming soon.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:50 PM
Cub Man
My Feedback: (50)

Hey guys. Building a new one to rplace a crashed one. Any suggestions on the back turtle deck. I wet the 1/32 ply and it still cracked at the fin. Thought of running a few stringers and balsa sheet it.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:09 PM
callide

I live in Australia and want to sell my CG Ultimate, I have a Saito 120 in it and it is awesome. I'm selling it otherwise I would of hung it from the ceiling in the hobby room. The wife said to sell it if I'm not going to fly it anymore, fair enough I reckon.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:03 AM
alfredbmor

ORIGINAL: Cub Man

Hey guys. Building a new one to rplace a crashed one. Any suggestions on the back turtle deck. I wet the 1/32 ply and it still cracked at the fin. Thought of running a few stringers and balsa sheet it.
I assembled worth a couple of balsa strings from the cockpit to the rear end, I didn't hear any advise about it, out just came to my mind as a common sense task to do just to have a better grip there, lots of people grab the planes by that part of the fuse and I have seen many turtle decks cracked just by wrong handling. As per the building,I didn't have any any problem by wetting the 1/32 ply, but I also used windex on the upper part, I can't remember who told me about it but it worked out just fine.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:56 AM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: callide

I live in Australia and want to sell my CG Ultimate, I have a Saito 120 in it and it is awesome. I'm selling it otherwise I would of hung it from the ceiling in the hobby room. The wife said to sell it if I'm not going to fly it anymore, fair enough I reckon.
As rare as these are I'd hang it in the hobby shop ceiling. If and when you get back into the hobby you are going to wish you had it.
Just my two cents,
John
Old 03-19-2012, 08:43 PM
callide

Thanks JNorton but my wife who is minister for war and finance said it will have to go if I want to buy another aircraft, that being a topflie corsair.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:22 PM
VCScott

callide, I think this situation calls on you to exercise your powers as COMMANDER IN CHIEF. Inform the minister you will be keeping the Ultimate and getting the corsair. You know after you fly the Corsair the awesomeness of your Ultimates abilitys will give you an overpowering need to have it back. So let the minister know how much it will save in the future. If that doesn't work, hide it!
Scott
Old 03-20-2012, 01:56 AM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Callide
A lucky man am I. My wife supports my hobby. I can have more than one plane at a time. Actually I'm up to about 12 at last count with the assorted unbuilt kits and ARFs thrown in. You could tell het the alternative is the bar - or worse GOLF!
John
Old 03-23-2012, 03:54 PM
Mountain_Commando_

Hello All,

I'm planning to maiden my Ultimate tomorrow. Any suggestions?

Some details, I bought it used, so it's flown before, but tomorrow will be first flight by me. The rx is new so it will have to be re-trimmed. I had added a fairly heavy pilot, which since it sits way aft of the CG, caused the plane to be a tad tail heavy. However, I moved the rx battery from behind the throttle servo to under the fuel tank, which has the CG now perfectly at the recommended 60mm from LE. I added 40% expo to all surfaces. Throws are around 35 degrees on high rates, which is significantly greater than the ones mentioned in the manual (which prescribes a max of only 14 degrees). They are lowered to 75% on low rates (so around 26 degrees). This is the 60.5" wingspan ARF, AUW is roughly 12lbs, engine is OS160 two stroke, 16x10 prop, 20oz tank.

Would appreciate all suggestions, particularly those related to throws/handling and landing (hot/fast?). Thanks.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:18 PM
skyracer068

Ultimate is back in work. It will be powered by a Hacker 50-16L, CC 100 ICE and, 8s-4000. I'm just going to call it the Clorex Ultimate. It will fly crisp and clean lines!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29776.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	1742885  
Old 03-27-2012, 05:45 AM
alfredbmor

ORIGINAL: Mountain_Commando_

Hello All,

I'm planning to maiden my Ultimate tomorrow. Any suggestions?

Some details, I bought it used, so it's flown before, but tomorrow will be first flight by me. The rx is new so it will have to be re-trimmed. I had added a fairly heavy pilot, which since it sits way aft of the CG, caused the plane to be a tad tail heavy. However, I moved the rx battery from behind the throttle servo to under the fuel tank, which has the CG now perfectly at the recommended 60mm from LE. I added 40% expo to all surfaces. Throws are around 35 degrees on high rates, which is significantly greater than the ones mentioned in the manual (which prescribes a max of only 14 degrees). They are lowered to 75% on low rates (so around 26 degrees). This is the 60.5'' wingspan ARF, AUW is roughly 12lbs, engine is OS160 two stroke, 16x10 prop, 20oz tank.

Would appreciate all suggestions, particularly those related to throws/handling and landing (hot/fast?). Thanks.
12 lbs calls for a hot landing, mine is 8 lbs and wants to land kind of hot, in the air there will be no significant difference, your engine is powerful and will let you fly most aerobatic capabilities inherent with the CG ultimate, have fun and post your experiences. Thanks.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:56 AM
alfredbmor

ORIGINAL: skyracer068

Ultimate is back in work. It will be powered by a Hacker 50-16L, CC 100 ICE and, 8s-4000. I'm just going to call it the Clorex Ultimate. It will fly crisp and clean lines!!!
Clorex Ultimate fits just fine, this is a great protect, I have not seen many electric CG Ultimate around, technology has been arrived to stay and its developing a great power source and flying confidence. I still use nitro for almost all my planes, (more than ten), but people arty the flying site are having lots of fun with their electric applications, the most important thing that I can tell about electric fly is the confidence, you do not have to worry anymore for engine failures,. because a lack of carburation, excessive hot or so. Thanks for sharing and I hope that you could join to this Brotherhood
Old 03-28-2012, 02:09 PM
peternj
My Feedback: (5)

one up for auction at fleeebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/carl-goldber...item35bab4fdce

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.