Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

An open letter to Traxxas

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 08:17 PM
Kitsune
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: An open letter to Traxxas

ORIGINAL: mufflerbearing

ORIGINAL: lez1troubles

just spend your hard earned money on something good like KYOSHO or Tamiya. No problems with them at all.
Fk Trashass or what ever its called.[sm=punching.gif]
I feel sorry for you guys out there who have bought that crap.
Are you serious? Tamiyas haven't improved a thing since 1980. Even their new models look like they are 20 years old, oh wait, they ARE 20 years old as they re-released their vintage stuff. They are sooo behind the times, it isn't even funny.

I fell sorry for people who hate Traxxas that much. []
Hold up a minute. Who's the one who made the 272 magnum transmission in 1994 and has been rehashing "new" trucks based around it. Oh I'm sorry that's only 16 years old, not 20. Still in those 16 years you'd think Traxxas would get around to a few little improvements on it like sealing the hole in the gear cover and improving quality so there aren't gaps where the gearbox halves meet. The stuff Tamiya re-releases from 20 or 30 years ago is still of a better quality, fit, and finish then the stuff Traxxas makes today.

Getting back to topic, I think that was a great letter Craig posted. Makes me want to write a letter to Traxxas too about why they haven't improved the 272 transmission. I just see it as being lazy and far too complacent with their products.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:45 PM
CraigV

Well, FWIW, here's the reply I got:

Hello Craig,

Thank you for taking the time to express your concerns about this. In fact we do allow discussion of aftermarket parts. The forums are full of these discussions. We do not allow tech support for those items though. It is the responsibility of the competing manufacturer to provide the money, bandwidth, resources etc. to support the product they are selling. If they refuse to step up to the plate and take responsibility for providing the after sale support their product requires, they cannot expect us to pick up their slack and do it for them. Reputable manufacturers provide this support. We provide the forum as a free place where Traxxas owners can share experiences and ideas. It works exceptionally well for that. To make it work we have rules that we do enforce. We post them clearly and explain them in sticky posts. We do not try to hide the fact that we enforce our rules and that makes us strict.

It is certainly a sad loss and a tragedy for the member who suffered a house fire. He can post that if he wishes. It was also a thread asking for donations from other members. On its face it is not a problem but by allowing it on our forums it puts us in a position where we have to judge which causes are worthy and which are not. Later when another member has his VCR stolen or gets a ding in the paint job on his Toyota and starts a thread to collect money, we have a problem.

To be fair to everybody we must enforce our rules as indiscriminately as possible. I am sorry if you misunderstood the parameters of what is allowed and what is not on our message board. There are many, many forums out there where there are no rules or they are not enforced and anything goes. Ours is not one of them. Hopefully this will help explain things.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:47 PM
Kitsune
My Feedback: (7)

That's lawyer talk if I ever heard it.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:09 PM
pythonfan
My Feedback: (1)

Oh look legal copy paste, i love how they first say we support aftermarket parts but then go on how the aftermarket parts that come with there product is not allowed to be discussed.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:24 PM
basketballfan60123
My Feedback: (2)

It sounds like like they are trying to protect themselves from getting sued by competing after market companies, conservative parents, etc.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:54 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

In all fairness I can completely agree with removing a post that asks for donations. If I was a moderator I would delete those in a second.
As people learned on this board about half a year or so ago there was someone who came asking for donations for a family member. Just for him to have the RC on the marketplace for sale in around a month. If the guys house burnt down I feel sorry for him but lets face it there are tons of scum that walk this earth who will scam with a sob story.

And as basketballfan60123 said if they allow other manufacturers gear listed there, and its talked about negatively, the other company might be able to sue them for libel or some crap. Remember its America you can sue people for the stupidest reasons and win.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:10 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: CraigV

Hello Craig,

Thank you for taking the time to express your concerns about this. In fact we do allow discussion of aftermarket parts. The forums are full of these discussions. We do not allow tech support for those items though. It is the responsibility of the competing manufacturer to provide the money, bandwidth, resources etc. to support the product they are selling. If they refuse to step up to the plate and take responsibility for providing the after sale support their product requires, they cannot expect us to pick up their slack and do it for them. Reputable manufacturers provide this support. We provide the forum as a free place where Traxxas owners can share experiences and ideas. It works exceptionally well for that. To make it work we have rules that we do enforce. We post them clearly and explain them in sticky posts. We do not try to hide the fact that we enforce our rules and that makes us strict.
Makes perfect sense to ThunderbirdJunkie. Why WOULD they provide tech support for an OS engine, Trinity pipe, or a poorly fitting Integy part? It's not their issue.
It is certainly a sad loss and a tragedy for the member who suffered a house fire. He can post that if he wishes. It was also a thread asking for donations from other members. On its face it is not a problem but by allowing it on our forums it puts us in a position where we have to judge which causes are worthy and which are not. Later when another member has his VCR stolen or gets a ding in the paint job on his Toyota and starts a thread to collect money, we have a problem.
Yeah, it's pretty low-class to ask people for donations just because your house burned down. Not even joking. It's one thing for people to offer help after the news is discussed, but to ASK FOR IT is just trashy.
100% with them on this.
To be fair to everybody we must enforce our rules as indiscriminately as possible. I am sorry if you misunderstood the parameters of what is allowed and what is not on our message board. There are many, many forums out there where there are no rules or they are not enforced and anything goes. Ours is not one of them. Hopefully this will help explain things.
Can't fault them for their reply. It sounds like a well-written reply from the guy that runs the forum, not from an attorney.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:29 PM
jnoetzelmann
My Feedback: (79)

One thing that Traxxas needs to be more open to are suggestions to improve their products. A couple years back I asked one of their techs when they would make the switch to 2.4ghz radios rather than the basic AM radio that they included with their RTR's. His reply was something to the effect of "Our products are selling just fine with the cheaper AM radio." Well they may have been selling well at that time but many of their competitors were selling RTR's with a 2.4ghz radio at a similar price. My point being Traxxas should be open to customer feedback and product improvements. We're the ones who drive the market, without hobbyists to buy their products they wouldn't exist.

Maybe their attitude has changed since then. I have noticed they are including the 2.4 radio with some of their products now...
Old 09-28-2010, 12:00 AM
rcslsafut

i was going to keep out this one ..... but i have to put in my two cents here !
traxxas is probably not the very best r/c company out there ,but they are among the top few !
here is the thing , for one ;the forum belong's to them , THEY MAKE THE RULES ! if you dont like it DONT GO THERE !!!
for two; just because your upset from what you have read, is no reason to bash ANY company .if you have first hand experience ,thats different
! there are so many thin skinned poeple around its not even funny !
i have products from losi, associated ,hpi , traxxas ,duratrax and venom . i can tell you they ALL have thier faults and thier strong points !!!
i have moderated on the traxxas forum , for putting the word" pissed ", ya so what ! leason learned , big deal !
they do have several young poeple that are active on thier forum, it's understandable !at least to me !
Old 09-28-2010, 01:22 AM
Freezetron

When I asked some offshoot questions about my Revo 3.3 concerns years ago, my thread got deleted and I got unfairly warned about something so stupid. For revenge, I posted on their forum very late at night and made a topic to the effect of "Why are Traxxas mods such forum nazi's?

Needless to say, Im permabanned from their website for life. Screw em....
Old 09-28-2010, 02:51 AM
xDIRTYSOUTHx

ORIGINAL: rcslsafut
! there are so many thin skinned poeple around its not even funny !
I'm sorry but the rules of the internet CLEARLY state "No thin-skinned people" allowed!

Old 09-28-2010, 04:21 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Freezetron

When I asked some offshoot questions about my Revo 3.3 concerns years ago, my thread got deleted and I got unfairly warned about something so stupid. For revenge, I posted on their forum very late at night and made a topic to the effect of ''Why are Traxxas mods such forum nazi's?

Considering your posting habits on other forums, that's not a shock...
Old 09-28-2010, 06:15 AM
mufflerbearing

ORIGINAL: Kitsune

ORIGINAL: mufflerbearing

ORIGINAL: lez1troubles

just spend your hard earned money on something good like KYOSHO or Tamiya. No problems with them at all.
Fk Trashass or what ever its called.[sm=punching.gif]
I feel sorry for you guys out there who have bought that crap.
Are you serious? Tamiyas haven't improved a thing since 1980. Even their new models look like they are 20 years old, oh wait, they ARE 20 years old as they re-released their vintage stuff. They are sooo behind the times, it isn't even funny.

I fell sorry for people who hate Traxxas that much. []
Hold up a minute. Who's the one who made the 272 magnum transmission in 1994 and has been rehashing ''new'' trucks based around it. Oh I'm sorry that's only 16 years old, not 20. Still in those 16 years you'd think Traxxas would get around to a few little improvements on it like sealing the hole in the gear cover and improving quality so there aren't gaps where the gearbox halves meet. The stuff Tamiya re-releases from 20 or 30 years ago is still of a better quality, fit, and finish then the stuff Traxxas makes today.

Getting back to topic, I think that was a great letter Craig posted. Makes me want to write a letter to Traxxas too about why they haven't improved the 272 transmission. I just see it as being lazy and far too complacent with their products.
Saying that the quality of my 25+ year old vintage Tamiya blackfoot is better quality than my modern stampede is laughible.

They have improved almost every part of the tranny, from different casing to all metal gears, to a revo slipper.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:04 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

When I asked some offshoot questions about my Revo 3.3 concerns years ago, my thread got deleted and I got unfairly warned about something so stupid. For revenge, I posted on their forum very late at night and made a topic to the effect of ''Why are Traxxas mods such forum nazi's?

Considering your posting habits on other forums, that's not a shock...
I'm more shocked he's still able to post on this forum actually with how he's been side stepping the language filter in some posts. Most places would have banned him(and have) by now.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:58 AM
proanti1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just create another user name...

"Revo 3.3 concerns" sounds like traxxas trash talking, which is a perfectly good reason to delete a thread.

''Why are Traxxas mods such forum nazi's?" is a pretty good reason for a permaban.

If something mundane caused a disturbance... coming back with something worse would probably not lead to a good outcome, don't ya think? Traxxas is a corporation, the last thing they want is an immature troll posting in their forums, they probably wont lose any sleep over banning one person.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:37 AM
rasper

ORIGINAL: CraigV

Hello Craig,

Just kinda seems funny how you get a reply from them AFTER you posted the same letter HERE!!!
Next time they delete a thread that has an experience, wether good or bad, or improvement advice added to it..... show this at them!
"We provide the forum as a free place where Traxxas owners can share experiences and ideas."

Old 09-28-2010, 11:55 AM
Lars from Norway

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: proanti1

No, they will hunt you down through your IP-adress and molest you.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:04 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: Lars from Norway

depends alot of ppl in the states have dynamic IP's which change every time they re-connect their routers to the internet. Unless they permaban the whole ISP or the region of IP's(if the ISP's IPs are assigned regionally) they can't perma ban via IP effectively, and alot of the trolls, and troublemakers already know this. Now if they extract your MAC address off your card or log it and ban that then you be screwed unless you get a new card
And if your IP is static there are always proxies.
I know this cause I've been perma-banned alot when I was younger, (acted like a complete A-hole towards admins on IRC servers) and would be back on within a minute. I once got a admin to ban himself
Old 09-28-2010, 12:16 PM
rasper

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

I once got a admin to ban himself
[>:][>:] That must have been k@k funnt to see it happen
Old 09-28-2010, 12:38 PM
Lars from Norway

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lol SyCo_VeNoM ! Yeah, i know about the dynamic IP's, but still i just had to post it
Old 09-28-2010, 12:48 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: rasper

I once got a admin to ban himself
[>:][>:] That must have been k@k funnt to see it happen
Won't lie that was pretty damn funny to see I remember actually falling off my chair from laughing so hard.
Funnier thing was that was his actual job as he was on the companies payroll that ran the server

/end thread jack
Old 09-28-2010, 12:51 PM
proanti1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

depends alot of ppl in the states have dynamic IP's which change every time they re-connect their routers to the internet. Unless they permaban the whole ISP or the region of IP's(if the ISP's IPs are assigned regionally) they can't perma ban via IP effectively, and alot of the trolls, and troublemakers already know this. Now if they extract your MAC address off your card or log it and ban that then you be screwed unless you get a new card
I know this cause I've been perma-banned alot when I was younger, (acted like a complete A-hole towards admins on IRC servers) and would be back on within a minute. I once got a admin to ban himself
Most boards don't even have the capabilities to ban a mac address... and even if they did, its easy enough just plug your computer into a hard line, or flash your router with firmware that doesn't allow incoming connections to see anything but the originating IP.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:57 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Most boards don't even have the capabilities to ban a mac address... and even if they did, its easy enough just plug your computer into a hard line, or flash your router with firmware that doesn't allow incoming connections to see anything but the originating IP.
true
MAC addy was worst case ban if the software allowed it, and hardest to get around(and even that isn't very hard like you said ).
Old 09-28-2010, 08:20 PM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One of the things that makes an RC successful is the ability to personalize it. The HPI Savage is one such vehicle, as it is so easy to personalize with a ton of after-market support. But wether the owners buy these after-market parts or similiar ones from HPI (if available), one thing is certain....HPI sold them the original truck, and if run enough, many stock HPI parts will continue to be bought due to accidents, wear and tear, etc.. So based on this, Traxxas may be doing themseves a bit of harm with their position on the mention of other manufactuer's products in thier forum. Anything that promotes thier product's popularity should be allowed. But it's their decision.

Also, maybe we've become a little too accustomed to lack of censorship when we view their attitude. But all forums seem to have some form of a Code of Conduct. It's when it isn't applied equally (or fairly) that sort of annoys me.

Rules. I don't mind if they extend to everyone. I belong to one RC forum where there is a lot of small manufacturers that provide regular suppport. A lot of the regular memebrs see these Manufacturer's as RC gods. Problem is, these manufactuer's frequently violate the rules. Once, when a particulary graphic locker-room vulgarity was writtten, I made a comment on it not being appropriate for a family type hobby website. Now I'm no prude, and can make a sailor blush if needs be, but there's a time and place for everything, and in my mind, a public forum on RC isnt' it. Well.....I got attacked by everyone....and finally the forum owner posted that he allows leeway. Well of course....to these manufacturer's who pay for advertising. So...money talks....as always. I still think the whole thing was very non-professional, but the general point is, I hardly ever go to that forum any more. And that's my choice.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:52 PM
basketballfan60123

ORIGINAL: Argess

One of the things that makes an RC successful is the ability to personalize it. The HPI Savage is one such vehicle, as it is so easy to personalize with a ton of after-market support. But wether the owners buy these after-market parts or similiar ones from HPI (if available), one thing is certain....HPI sold them the original truck, and if run enough, many stock HPI parts will continue to be bought due to accidents, wear and tear, etc.. So based on this, Traxxas may be doing themseves a bit of harm with their position on the mention of other manufactuer's products in thier forum. Anything that promotes thier product's popularity should be allowed. But it's their decision.

Also, maybe we've become a little too accustomed to lack of censorship when we view their attitude. But all forums seem to have some form of a Code of Conduct. It's when it isn't applied equally (or fairly) that sort of annoys me.

Rules. I don't mind if they extend to everyone. I belong to one RC forum where there is a lot of small manufacturers that provide regular suppport. A lot of the regular memebrs see these Manufacturer's as RC gods. Problem is, these manufactuer's frequently violate the rules. Once, when a particulary graphic locker-room vulgarity was writtten, I made a comment on it not being appropriate for a family type hobby website. Now I'm no prude, and can make a sailor blush if needs be, but there's a time and place for everything, and in my mind, a public forum on RC isnt' it. Well.....I got attacked by everyone....and finally the forum owner posted that he allows leeway. Well of course....to these manufacturer's who pay for advertising. So...money talks....as always. I still think the whole thing was very non-professional, but the general point is, I hardly ever go to that forum any more. And that's my choice.
I had a similar incident happen to me on another forum with a member over a difference in opinion about their forums rules.
The administrator of the forum actually PM'd me to let me know that he was disappointed with me because I retaliated against the member because he was giving me hard time and he was even breaking the forum rules.
He stated in PM that because this particular member had more experience in Rc than 90% of the other members that he was allowed to get away with his inappropriate behavior and that's how it is.
I PM'd him back and told him that I would not put up with that type of behavior from him regardless of how much knowledge he has and he wrote me back and told me just to block him.
This guy is not a dealer, mod or nothing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.