Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Best Place to Buy a DLE

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 09:49 AM
Whistling Death

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Best Place to Buy a DLE

ORIGINAL: Planeclothes

It is good to know that there are still people out there who dare to disagree. When I first read this thread (especially page 1) I could swear it was actually a VV infomercial. Some people treat shopping at Tower as some kind of mortal sin. I have been doing business with Tower for many, many years without a single complaint. Sorry if I don't suffer from the ''let's help the small guy syndrome'' or aspire to become a cult follower or groupie. I buy what I buy with my pocket in mind from whoever treats me with respect and values my business. Service is just as important to me, and to this day (KOW), Tower has never failed me.
You and I think a lot alike. This is just a hobby and we don't need any of the stuff to survive. I, like you, buy with my pocket in mind.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:08 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: brian5

I tried to buy from VV but could not take the arrogance from said person. I buy all my stuff from ibcinyourc. Mike has been very good to me and everyone in my club that has now switched over to him from said person. But, I would probably have the big head too if everyone said I was the great one too. I just can't buy into the hype. was not impressed.

Ok, let the flaming begin
Many times, how you are treated on the phone by a vendor is in direct response to how you act yourself.

If you start out critical of them, they are likely to be critical of you.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:18 AM
Whistling Death

ORIGINAL: w8ye
Many times, how you are treated on the phone by a vendor is in direct response to how you act yourself.

I wish we could listen to some of these conversations, it would be very enlightening.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:42 AM
rcguy59
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tom at VVRC has told me some stories about some of his customers. While I won't go into details, suffice to say that RC'ers vary wildly, and personality conflicts WILL occur from time to time. The OP asked where the best place top buy DLE was. For price and more importantly service, you still can't beat VVRC.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:31 PM
Loopman
My Feedback: (195)

Given the choice, I will buy from the cheaper supplier as long as it is an "apples to apples" item. VV did not impress me with their attitude on the phone so I bought from Tower and saved $60. I was and always have been cordial with all suppliers as "sugar catches more flies". I expect to be treated as I treat others, no more no less. Hopefully, this will not get deleted as my other response did.

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!! (Happy Flying)

Loopman
Old 07-14-2011, 02:38 PM
Mike/TBM

Shipping costs are now simply outrageous for even the smallest items. When items are shipped it is always best to ship insured against loss or damage and offer a way to track them. These options are a must and demanded by us and by most customers. We understand the very sensitive issue of today's higher shipping costs and do our best to help with better shipping rates where we can.
Regarding the situation with the DLE 111, it is not as clear cut as it has been posted.
We were asked if we could honor a price from a non-authorized DLE distributor that was just above or below $600. As a condition of our contract with DLE, to remain an "authorized" distributor we must follow strict pricing guidelines.
Our current sale pricing on the DLE 111 of $698.95 including a FREE IBEF and two FREE CM6 spark plugs with FREE SHIPPING was not attractive to said buyer.
We then offered a special lower pricing WITHOUT the FREE IBEF or FREE CM6 spark plugs but still offered FREE SHIPPING on the DLE111 engine.
Said buyer gladly agreed to this and subsequently made the purchase after receiving the emailed Sales Order outlining costs with FREE SHIPPING.
Said buyer received the engine and apparently not understanding the conditions of the sale as outlined when purchased, quickly turned extremely negative in following emails to TBM and was not fair to us at all. He said he could not understand why he did not receive the free items that were offered and now suspected our warranty support for the engine and have most likely just lost another customer. This statement of questionable warranty support is simply outrageous and unfounded.
We are glad we were able to resolve his particular issue with TBM by offering a full refund at his request.
We have a great service dept and a very knowledgeable staff to help with any issues customers may have.

Old 07-14-2011, 02:51 PM
Loopman

Kudo's to TBM! I've bought numerous items from TBM and never, I said never, had a bad experience. I have even cancelled orders with them and they have always been courteous to me. I will continue to buy from TBM and that is my right! I am sick and tired of the "negative rat pack" here on RCU that tries to flame a dealer/supplier just for the hell of it! Come on guys, let's be truthful in our statements and not dream up armageddon!

Happy Flying!

Loopman
Old 07-14-2011, 03:01 PM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No.. I was never informed that the items would not be included... I called about the newsletter special and that is what i was following up on. Never was it said that the items would be removed for the sale.

Reason me this... Who would negotiate a $30 cheaper price on a special to have $50+ worth of merchandise removed? At the very least for them to be courteous and seeing that the customer "apparently not understanding the conditions of the sale as outlined when purchased" wasn't either offered the full package for the additional $30 or a refund, instead was offered to be put on the bad customer list and denied service and warranty..
Old 07-14-2011, 03:12 PM
wyo69cowboy
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Whistling Death

ORIGINAL: Planeclothes

It is good to know that there are still people out there who dare to disagree. When I first read this thread (especially page 1) I could swear it was actually a VV infomercial. Some people treat shopping at Tower as some kind of mortal sin. I have been doing business with Tower for many, many years without a single complaint. Sorry if I don't suffer from the ''let's help the small guy syndrome'' or aspire to become a cult follower or groupie. I buy what I buy with my pocket in mind from whoever treats me with respect and values my business. Service is just as important to me, and to this day (KOW), Tower has never failed me.
You and I think a lot alike. This is just a hobby and we don't need any of the stuff to survive. I, like you, buy with my pocket in mind.
We ALL seem to shop with our pocket in mind. There are a vocal few on this forum who will berate you for that...even so, I shop at Tower quite a bit. I remember getting into the hobby in the late 80's as a kid; those Tower catalogs were my Sears/JC Penney Christmas catalogs!

That being said, Tower's not in any danger of going out of business, so I like to help the "little guys" when I can. You don't get the discount Tower's offering, but you do get good warranty service and a free prop with your DLE at VV right now...
Old 07-14-2011, 03:27 PM
Whistling Death

ORIGINAL: Loopman

Kudo's to TBM! I've bought numerous items from TBM and never, I said never, had a bad experience. I have even cancelled orders with them and they have always been courteous to me. I will continue to buy from TBM and that is my right! I am sick and tired of the ''negative rat pack'' here on RCU that tries to flame a dealer/supplier just for the hell of it! Come on guys, let's be truthful in our statements and not dream up armageddon!

Happy Flying!

Loopman
So it's OK for you to post good results from a retailer but if other do it they are sheep? Why does a differing option from yours put someone in a "rat pack". You seem to be talking out of both sides of your mouth.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:35 PM
Loopman

Well, since I have not suffered a stroke lately or a case of Bell's Palsy, I will continue to healthfully talk out of both sides of my mouth, and equally well thank you! My original post did not deride anyone from buying from a good or bad dealer. It stated that VV has IMHO a little too much attitude when dealing with prospective customers. The "Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa" refers to the sheep who will follow and promote one vendor while kicking (flaming) others. We've all had negative experiences at one time or another but I have detected on this and other threads a prominence for illusion. So my point has actually been proven in that remarks will be made without hearing the whole story! I just got accused of double talk without the member knowing the whole truth.

Thank You Very Much!

Loopman
Old 07-14-2011, 04:08 PM
SpinnerRow

I've called TBM on 3-4 occasions looking to buy mufflers, engines and planes. Each time I was treated rudely and bought some where else (plane, 2 DLE 20s, 2 Jtech muffers). Email seemed no different. I'm saving for an ESM Hellcat now but TBM won't be getting my money.

Personally, I prefer Tower Hobbies. It is really hard to beat their FREE SHIPPING and $50 lower price than anyone else for a DLE 20. I've spent close to $6,000 with them in the last two years and have never had a problem. I've sent items back for warranty work with no problems. They make it too easy to do business with them.

I've bought a plane, engine, mufflers, batteries and optical kill switches from Valley View with no problems at all. They shorted me a battery once in a shipping and corrected it immediately. Stand up company.

I like talking to and emailing a vendor first before I buy to see how responsive they are. If I get flack for trying to spend money with them, it is a sure bet I will get hell for any problems that may arise after a sale. If you do a bit of homework before you buy from somebody new, you can save yourself headaches in the future. Too many good vendors that are eager to do business with you to have to deal with a bad one.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:42 PM
w8ye

ORIGINAL: jonkoppisch

No.. I was never informed that the items would not be included... I called about the newsletter special and that is what i was following up on. Never was it said that the items would be removed for the sale.

Reason me this... Who would negotiate a $30 cheaper price on a special to have $50+ worth of merchandise removed? At the very least for them to be courteous and seeing that the customer "apparently not understanding the conditions of the sale as outlined when purchased" wasn't either offered the full package for the additional $30 or a refund, instead was offered to be put on the bad customer list and denied service and warranty..
You no longer need to worry about TBM.

Old 07-14-2011, 05:47 PM
jonkoppisch

Still do, until I get my refund...

Tracking # show's that it will be delivered tomorrow.

+ no one likes to have conflict over something like this.

How can this benefit me or them?

Now I'm on a list because of poor customer service, I need another 111 and it will be a few more weeks before I'm able to fly my new slick (arg)

Like I emailed them, it seems silly to loose a cx (customer) over something that small but.

If I treated my customers like that, I wouldn't have any return customers...
Old 07-14-2011, 05:54 PM
w8ye

There are other places that have 111's
Old 07-14-2011, 06:00 PM
jonkoppisch

Definitely, Unfortunately I'll probably need some $ back before I purchase another one
Old 07-14-2011, 06:18 PM
bgw45
My Feedback: (1)

I don't read these threads with a chip on my shoulder. If I need help I am willing to put up with "some" different types of assistance. If a guy get testy with me, I still try to soak him for all the wisdom I can gain without letting my emotions get in the way. Often I am ignorant about a particular subject, but I'm not stupid so I use all the resources available.

I returned to the hobby in '08 and the whole hobby had changed since I last flew in '85. I needed a lot of help and still do. I have spent over 2K with VVRC and a bunch with Tower and Horizon. I have spoken to Techs at all three places on the phone. It is getting much easier to sniff the BS'ers and appropriately file their "support".

I don't have a low self esteem problem so the BS'ers don't get to me. I just don't want to miss the opportunity to learn from those who know.

I have never had any type of issue with Jody. He is very good listener and straight forward with his responses.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:48 PM
WarbirdPilots
My Feedback: (209)

Has anyone considered shopping at their local Hobby Shop. I won't go anywhere else because my LHS can get me exactly what I am looking for and match pretty much any online price out there. And the advantage I get by going to my LHS is the on the spot and in person customer support. Working over the phone with customer support does not even compare to being able to bring in the product or anything you may have to your LHS and get hands on support.

You are also helping out your local economy and gaining ten times more knowledge and experience speaking and working with someone in person than over the phone or online.

I have nothing against the online services because most of them probably started out as Local Hobby Shops and have expanded to a larger market. Just thought I would throw out another option.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:56 PM
w8ye

<ul>[*][/list]
ORIGINAL: TwinTurboZ

Has anyone considered shopping at their local Hobby Shop. I won't go anywhere else because my LHS can get me exactly what I am looking for and match pretty much any online price out there. And the advantage I get by going to my LHS is the on the spot and in person customer support. Working over the phone with customer support does not even compare to being able to bring in the product or anything you may have to your LHS and get hands on support.

You are also helping out your local economy and gaining ten times more knowledge and experience speaking and working with someone in person than over the phone or online.

I have nothing against the online services because most of them probably started out as Local Hobby Shops and have expanded to a larger market. Just thought I would throw out another option.
There are many local hobby shops that fill this need.

Some people do not live convienent to a hobby shop. Some hobby shops are just toy shops also.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:58 PM
brian5

ORIGINAL: w8ye

ORIGINAL: brian5

I tried to buy from VV but could not take the arrogance from said person. I buy all my stuff from ibcinyourc. Mike has been very good to me and everyone in my club that has now switched over to him from said person. But, I would probably have the big head too if everyone said I was the great one too. I just can't buy into the hype. was not impressed.

Ok, let the flaming begin

you couldnt be more right. And I'm sure the reason I had the poor experience on the phone with him is because of the way I talked to him. I think the conversation went like this; " hello, I'm looking to buy a gas engine for a 30cc sbach and am looking for some advice on engine brand, prop, smoke muffler and pump etc. and you have come highly recommended. (or something of that nature) and I was immediately talked down to like I was a dumb ass. Not what I was expecting from someone I was about to place an order with. Now, you people can keep saying that crap over and over. I assure you I'm not a rude person, but I don't put up with being talked down to by anyone on this planet. I didn't post that to steer anyone away from him, I just see post after post of blatant ass kissing and I thought I tell my little story. I'm done with this now.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:06 PM
w8ye

Original: brianS

you couldnt be more right. And I'm sure the reason I had the poor experience on the phone with him is because of the way I talked to him. I think the conversation went like this; " hello, I'm looking to buy a gas engine for a 30cc sbach and am looking for some advice on engine brand, prop, smoke muffler and pump etc. and you have come highly recommended. (or something of that nature) and I was immediately talked down to like I was a dumb ass. Not what I was expecting from someone I was about to place an order with. Now, you people can keep saying that crap over and over. I assure you I'm not a rude person, but I don't put up with being talked down to by anyone on this planet. I didn't post that to steer anyone away from him, I just see post after post of blatant ass kissing and I thought I tell my little story. I'm done with this now. <span class="info"> </span>
Thanks for sharing your side of the story with us. It helps us understand what happened.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:54 PM
gamalierlozada
My Feedback: (11)

I personally bought a DLE 55 from Razor Hobbies in TX before DLE established the firm pricing policy (Less than $330). I bought another from TBM, I had bought stuff from IBCINYOU, Chief Aircraft and other small dealers. When it comes to engines all come from the same CNC the problem might be QC at the time of inspection. By the amounts of engines being produced there's alway the probability of getting a sour apple, but it will also depend on how the situation is address by both parties. Like someone said dealers can't please everybody. There some personality clashes sometimes. I called once VV and talked to Jody and he was really helpful, another time he was the opposite.

That's why I don't rely on other persons to do my stuff. If I don't know about something I will look for the info I need and do it myself. Like a friend of my says "I do all my stunts"
Old 07-14-2011, 08:57 PM
codimasta
My Feedback: (89)

Well, it is my time to put in my two cents...I have not had any trouble with TBM...The first DLE20 arrived on time...ran well no problems.
I just received my second DLE20..what a surprise..free CM-6 Plug..a Silencer..free...Free Shipping.. All of my dealings were done online
delivery time was met, with out any trouble.
On bad sale doesnot make a Company bad...unless you know the complete story.

Codimasta
AMA 11269
Old 07-15-2011, 04:07 AM
hanko

Seriously speaking, Ive bought from Tower, Troy Built, Chief, Valley View, and I think as a whole they all try to do a good job. They have all been around for a while and would'nt be if they were trying to screw us. If I were in that business, I'd hate to talk to guys like me all day long.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:12 AM
Whistling Death

I guess I am just different.
When I am in the market for something I will browse the internet for information until I think I have all I need to make an informed buy.
You can actually learn more on RCU in a few hours than you can in years on your own. You just have to have the patience to weed through the BS.
I can't stand to talk on the phone and I know guys running these business don't have time to spend all day on the phone with me nor do I expect them to.
Except for one hobby shop, Hodges Hobbies, I make all my purchases online, so I have had good experiences with everybody I have bought from.

I save myself a lot of grief by studying up on what I need 1st then making the purchase online.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.