Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Powerbox iGyro

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Powerbox iGyro

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 10:08 PM
gonzalom
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Powerbox iGyro

I have some fantastic results using the Powerbox systems on all my planes. I wonder how the new iGyro can be plug to the Powerbox Royal Spectrum.

Gonzalo
Old 05-14-2012, 02:12 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 745 Likes on 539 Posts

Gonzalo

Sorry the iGyro isnt supported by the Royal or Evolution PB as they are not BUS system units.

Regards

Dave
Old 05-14-2012, 02:49 AM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Dave,

Do you know if the Robbe/Futaba S-BUS PSS-2018 "powerbox" (see: [link=http://shop.rc-electronic.com/e-vendo.php?shop=k_emcotec_e&SessionId=&a=article&Pr odNr=RF1660&t=861&c=1786&p=1786]http://shop.rc-electronic.com/e-vendo.php?shop=k_emcotec_e&SessionId=&a=article&Pr odNr=RF1660&t=861&c=1786&p=1786[/link] ..they call it a "power supply" ) might acutally be OEM'd from the Powerbox guys?

I note that while marketed toward Futaba users, the unit also can attach JR/Spek-style satellite receivers. I recently got one shipped over from Emcotec and it's quite nice but does have a bit of the PB look and feel. Nice unit, btw.

Thanks for the info on the iGyro .. cool device!

Dave
Old 05-14-2012, 05:58 AM
gonzalom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Dave for the quick response!

Gonzalo
Old 05-17-2012, 11:14 AM
Andrew Bailey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Powerbox iGyro ordered on Monday, arrived today (Wednesday) Beautiful box of tricks. Looks very well made and robust.

I had to read the manual a few times before I felt I understood how it works and the setup process. Very simple installation and setup involves just three flights to set the gain for both normal and heading modes on each axis.

Two things strike me about this product as being really important and as big differentiators from alternative gyro systems.
  1. The iGyro gives you receiver redundancy without having to buy a full bown Powerbox. So, combined with a Sensor Switch for power redundancy it gives you a much more robust setup.
  2. The iGyro works in both 'heading' mode and 'normal' mode at the same time. When the stick is centered it automatically switches that axis to heading mode. As soon as the stick is moved away from centre is switches to normal mode. The exception is the rudder which only works in heading mode when the 3rd Flight Mode is selected.
All I need to do is work out how to free up the two channels I need for setting the gyro up. I could really do with an 18ch radio! I will report back when I have installed, set up and flown with it. So far I am very impressed.<br type="_moz" />
Old 05-21-2012, 06:07 AM
Andrew Bird

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Gerhard at Aircraft International now has these in stock in the US http://www.aircraftinternational.com/

I picked one up at Joe Nall and have installed it in an electric set up before I put it in the jet. It's an impressive unit and set up so far seems to be relative simple, even for an idiot like myself. Hopefully I will fly it in the next day or so and see what it can do.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:26 AM
quist
My Feedback: (198)

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Andrew,
It was nice meeting you Friday. I think I am going to do the same. I am going to test it in my Sebart SU29 before it goes in the F-16.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:47 AM
Andrew Bird

Good to meet you too, Tony.

I have installed mine in a 60" EF Extra. As I'm on JR it means I can play with the inbuilt RX as well. All the channels are assignable so it means I've been able to use a gyro channel for the throttle and shut the Gyro off on that channel.

Just need it to stop bloody raining here so I can play with it[:@]
Old 05-21-2012, 09:24 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 86 Likes on 75 Posts

ORIGINAL: ww2birds

Dave,

Do you know if the Robbe/Futaba S-BUS PSS-2018 ''powerbox'' (see: [link=http://shop.rc-electronic.com/e-vendo.php?shop=k_emcotec_e&SessionId=&a=article&Pr odNr=RF1660&t=861&c=1786&p=1786]http://shop.rc-electronic.com/e-vendo.php?shop=k_emcotec_e&SessionId=&a=article&Pr odNr=RF1660&t=861&c=1786&p=1786[/link] ..they call it a ''power supply'' ) might acutally be OEM'd from the Powerbox guys?

I note that while marketed toward Futaba users, the unit also can attach JR/Spek-style satellite receivers. I recently got one shipped over from Emcotec and it's quite nice but does have a bit of the PB look and feel. Nice unit, btw.

Thanks for the info on the iGyro .. cool device!

Dave

Nice looking piece of electronics Dave
Old 05-21-2012, 07:17 PM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, it's cool, even better "in the flesh" than I expected. Reading the manual for it, I did not realize that the Spektrum satellites output was the demodulated serial data stream, just like S-Bus .. so it makes sense it can take Futaba or Spek satellites as inputs. Learn something new every day...

I think I'll have to give Brother Gearhardt a call to get an iGyro!

Hope to see you this summer at some of the events...

Andrew .. let us know how the iGyro works for you.

Dave
Old 05-23-2012, 12:18 PM
Rezagh
My Feedback: (73)

Hi Guys,

Love to hear how it works out for you.
I have one to do a review on FG. Just waiting for my transmitter to come back from tuning!
Jack Price at Duralite also has them on order and will receive a shipment very soon!

I would love to hear how it's working out for you on different planes.

Please share it here once you have yours going.

Cheers,
Reza
Old 05-23-2012, 01:27 PM
kev-o

Hoping jack gets them soon he's coming up to our event in a week and hoping to see one in the flesh.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:09 PM
Andrew Bird

I've had the chance to play with mine this week as I've not been working. I should get some more time over the weekend but I've about 20 flights on it now.

I put it in my electric Extreme Flight 60" Extra before I put it in a jet to make sure I'm on top of how the whole thing works. It also gave me the chance to use it as a JR RX as well.
The EF 60" is an impressive little plane - it flies very well but I ended up using Savox servos in mine as Horizon were out of stock of the JR units I wanted to use. These servos aren't great, they're not as consistent as I'd like and happily wonder out of trim regularly. That said, gyro free the plane flies awesome and will happily make its way through the Unlimited IMAC sequence without issue other than those my squiffy fingers create

The set up was pretty simple and I managed to get the gain set for the 3 axis' wrapped up in a couple of flights. Switching the gyro on makes the plane fly like an even bigger plane. It becomes incredibly precise and it removes all the inaccuracies and inconsistencies of the crappy servos. It's quite incredible how it makes the plane feel, especially if you fly in a decent amount of wind. I flew today in 15kts of wind gusting 20kt and it was stunning how precise the plane stays in both precision and 3d. Like I said - the plane flies straight in the first place but it will be interesting to put this in something far more unstable. I suspect this technology will take a really poor flying platform and make a huge difference. It seems to be idiot proof in that you can take a poor set up and poor quality servos and sorts the mess out.... Looking forward to getting out and playing more before I stick in something a lot quicker and play with the GPS based speed function.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:20 PM
Dave Wilshere

Birdy

My first del left Germany today...so we will be playing soon too!

D
Old 05-24-2012, 01:22 PM
Andrew Bird

Please find the crappiest plane you can find and put it in! I'm really intrigued to see what it can do
Old 05-24-2012, 01:37 PM
Andrew Bailey

I have about 20 flights now on an Sebart Angel 50e and my experience is much the same as Andrew's. I had a bit of trouble with a touch of wing rock coming out fast from downline manoeveres but was able to dial that out in a few flights. One additional observation I would make is that the instant you centre the sticks when in any kind of rotational manoever the plane rotation (in whatever axis) just stops dead. It is like flying a plane with absolutely no rotational inertia.
I am very impressed with the iGyro. Just wish that I had not lost the jet in which I was intending to install it.

Andrew<br type="_moz" />
Old 05-24-2012, 11:05 PM
Dave Wilshere

We have a series of test models lined up from Big Petrol models, to Hunters :-) I guess my DJ Vampire would be a good choice as it needs a rudder gyro and would benefit from an aileron gyro too.

Dw
Old 05-25-2012, 01:44 AM
Ali
My Feedback: (5)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Just arrived. I could go and fit it and have a play this weekend, although the only model I have that "needs" a gyro only needs a bit of help on the rudder, and this I gyro may be a tad overkill for it.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf10295.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	1765643  
Old 05-26-2012, 11:11 AM
ZivBit

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ali

Just arrived. I could go and fit it and have a play this weekend, although the only model I have that ''needs'' a gyro only needs a bit of help on the rudder, and this I gyro may be a tad overkill for it.

Hi Ali,

How about the Igyro on the SM A-4?

Cheers,
Ziv
Old 06-02-2012, 07:31 AM
jzuniga
My Feedback: (7)

How are guys setting their igyros with an Sbus setup? I mean, sbus servos? Assign servo specific function, then plug anywhere in the igyro? I'm not sure exactly how it works/supports Futaba sbus? save for the fact that I can plug an sbus receiver into it (or two) At least that's how I'm reading it from the manual. I'm thinking of getting an igyro, but I'm trying to fully understand and see how it would fit into my sbus set up? I can see the obvious advantages, in triple axis, and gps capabilities...but it appears you would have to run long extensions to all the servos like in a normal setup, thus, eliminating the cool features of sbus? I know I'm missing something here?Thanks

Z
Old 06-02-2012, 08:18 AM
Andrew Bailey

So far as I can tell it is not possible to output an S.Bus signal. It appears that the only S.Bus support is from the Rx to the iGyro. I hope someone can tell me different as I would like to install the iGyro on a jet using S.Bus on all flying controls. If I am right this seems to be a very odd omission by Powerbox.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:34 AM
quist
My Feedback: (198)

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I am running sBus to igyro for the 5 channels. AIL A and B, ELE a and b, and rudder. The other channels are plugged into channel 1-8 on the rx which is going through a power expander from Smarfly. I actually have the sBus also plugged into one channel of the PE.

I just removed it from the little pattern plane and installed it in the Aeroworks P-51. I am going to fly it in the morning.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:08 AM
jzuniga
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: quist

I am running sBus to igyro for the 5 channels. AIL A and B, ELE a and b, and rudder. The other channels are plugged into channel 1-8 on the rx which is going through a power expander from Smarfly. I actually have the sBus also plugged into one channel of the PE.

I just removed it from the little pattern plane and installed it in the Aeroworks P-51. I am going to fly it in the morning.
That's kinda what I thought? I guess with sbus servos though, you'd have to assign and plug the correct servo in to the igyro?

Z
Old 06-02-2012, 11:09 AM
Richi-d

Hi Guys,

you can enable the Digital output. Then on Elevator B and Rudder you get a S-Bus output. It can be used to go into a SRS PowerBox, but you can also use it for S-Bus application. The channels you select for control surfaces in the "Input Maping" Menue are then with gyro signal on the output
Old 06-02-2012, 11:23 AM
Andrew Bailey

That's great news. I missed that reading the manual. Thanks very much.

ORIGINAL: Richi-d

Hi Guys,

you can enable the Digital output. Then on Elevator B and Rudder you get a S-Bus output. It can be used to go into a SRS PowerBox, but you can also use it for S-Bus application. The channels you select for control surfaces in the "Input Maping" Menue are then with gyro signal on the output

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.