Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Tip - Don't be nasty to your Hobby customers

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Tip - Don't be nasty to your Hobby customers

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 07:08 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Tip - Don't be nasty to your Hobby customers

LDM,
It'd be about 75 miles up I85 from around the I77/I85 mess. It'll take about an hour and 15 minutes from there. It's very easy to find and the directions are dead simple.

Go north on I85 to Hwy311. Go about 1.8 miles north on 311 and it'll be on the right.

The exit off I85 onto 311 is probably exit 111. I think it's the Archdale exit.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:32 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a nice shop and the kind of good owner I was talking about , good luck in your business "dads Toys " aslo great name
Old 11-06-2006, 07:33 PM
LDM

Darock -thanks I will be in town in early December and I will try to make that trip , thanks again . I will also map quest it when i plan my trip
Old 11-08-2006, 06:56 AM
bps
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting thread. I remember growing up and riding my bike miles to a great hobby shop that just loved its customers. I suspect now that the real reason was the owner was a grandpa and his wife was a grandma and both just loved kids. Lets face it most of us are now just larger kids! We also had a hobby shop just minutes away and easy to walk to. The owners were very difficult to talk to and they always seemed like it was a huge imposition to just talk with us and sell an occasional kit, Cox .049 motor and fuel.

It just does not make any sense to me the thinking in being rude to customers. Consider this, "lets put together a customer service business that depends upon loyal customers that would rather spend money, sometimes more of it as opposed to mail order, spend a small fortune to get inventories, store bla, bla ,bla just to make a marginal profit. On top of that lets take it out on the customers that walk through the door and treat them poorly!"

Where I live we are very fortunat to have more than one hobby shop choice. The most friendly hobby shop I have ever been in is located in Indianapolis, Hobby R/C. I have known the folks for a long time and they are wonderful folks and support the hobby like the privilage it is to participate in this great hobby. You just can not mail order life long friendships and after all that is what this sport is all about.

Respectfully, JEB
Old 11-08-2006, 10:55 AM
da Rock

LDM,
If you make that run, you'll be passing two decent little LHSs on the way. Both are just off I85.

ZNZ Hobbies is in the middle of Lexington. Lex is about 2/3s the way to KC. They're right in the center of downtown Lexington. 972 S Talbert Blvd, Lex (336)249-6127 And while you're in Lexington, get yourself a chopped BBQ sandwich. He is small and a bit hard to find unless you got a GPS mapper.

High Speed Hobbies is closer to Charlotte and is more what their name suggests. But they support our club all the way up here in WinstonSalem and the owner flies. 2510 Hwy 29S, China Grove (704)855-2940

Both are run by good people.

BTW, speaking of BBQ......... If you take the Bus85 fork when heading up to 311 you can get to KC just as quickly as taking the I85 fork. When you hit the 311 exit on Bus85, the exit brings you right down into HighPoint and right across the street (311) is a decent little BBQ place. Can't remember the name but it's right at the intersection. Decent North Carolina BBQ and check out the "collector prints" all over the walls. I'm not kidding although you'd think so when I tell you the prints theme is Junior Johnson and moonshine. But check 'em out. They really are good art.
And they got good'old NC sweet ice tea. One glass and you got all the sugar your body needs for the week.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:06 PM
LDM

darock - I owe you buddy , thanks for the tips . If you like Barbe Q, some of the best in the country is in Alabama - a little place call dream land .

I will make the ride and stops on the way !!!
Old 11-11-2006, 12:04 AM
JohnMcGowan

I hear ya LDM!!! Dreamland does have some of the BEST ribs ever I did eat, LOL!!
"Y'all" come down to Birmingham and I'll take you on the Bama BBQ tour!! I know of several great places that are close by.
(Sorry to hijack your thread) Now, back to hobby shop subjects...
Old 11-11-2006, 05:20 AM
LDM

yep John , dead on bud !!!!!!
Old 11-15-2006, 05:15 AM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Guy's

Just stumbled on this thread and found it pretty interesting because A: i grew up and lived in Melbourne about 2 years ago.

Roj's is pretty good for price and service. I used to shop there occasionally and i used to travel about 30-40min to get to his store. Most of the Hobby shops in Melbourne seem to be a little cold towards you until you've spent a bit of money with them and have built up a bit of a repore with them, and so i used to pass some of them on my way to Roj's

But now i'm in the model kit manufacturing side of the story and have to tell you that the bad guy's price wise in my veiw in this story are the distributors. I don't know what they get the items at pricewise, but let me tell you, they are what is killing the LHS's.

I look at the wholesale prices for items from the australian distributors and then look around on the internet for the same items. We often buy items from online hobby shops in the US and ship them to Australia for cheaper than the price from the distributors??? how in the world can the LHS's ever win. The distributors must get a "wholesale" rate from the manufacturs and then ship the items out. I realise that they could never buy in the same quantities as the US distributors, but quantity discounts can the that big.

Thanks

P.S. I reckon that Rojj's buys his stock from overseas because sometimes, his prices are below cost price from the australian distributors.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:21 AM
SoCalSal
My Feedback: (16)

No one should treat a customer with disrespect no matter what they sell. If a person goes to buy something and does not like the price then move on. Most independent hobby shops have to charge a bit higher price than a web-based shop in order to keep the lights on and feed the familey. I have noticed a trend in the "chain " hobby shops of hiring employees that have very little intrest ot knowladge of what the are selling. These people are usually the younger crowd in school or still going to school. They are there for the money (not much). Ask your self would you work for that kind of money? most likley not. Well on the other hand the owners of these shops can't afford to pay for employees that have a great deal of knowladge in the hobby industry due to the low margines on hobby products.

I try to support my local hobby shops as much as I can. But I'm a "builder" and I cannot always find what I need at the local shops. I then go to the web-sites in this country and have a look. But to be honest very, very few U.S. hobby shops have the kind of building materials I'm looking for. So now I have been looking at the shops in Europe, I have been able to find almost anything I need over there as the Europeans seem to be more into the scale and building of models the the folks in the U.S. Now this is not the cheap way to go but I pay the price as everyone of the people I have delt with have been very helpful and kind to earn my trade. I have never been treated with disrespect from any of them and they will continue to get my trade as long as U.S. shops lack the building materials I need. Yes it is sad I have to spend my money over there but the lack of items and people who know what they are talking about in the U.S. hobby industry make me do it.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:44 PM
The Raven

ORIGINAL: ticketec

Hey Guy's

Just stumbled on this thread and found it pretty interesting because A: i grew up and lived in Melbourne about 2 years ago.

Roj's is pretty good for price and service. I used to shop there occasionally and i used to travel about 30-40min to get to his store. Most of the Hobby shops in Melbourne seem to be a little cold towards you until you've spent a bit of money with them and have built up a bit of a repore with them, and so i used to pass some of them on my way to Roj's

But now i'm in the model kit manufacturing side of the story and have to tell you that the bad guy's price wise in my veiw in this story are the distributors. I don't know what they get the items at pricewise, but let me tell you, they are what is killing the LHS's.

I look at the wholesale prices for items from the australian distributors and then look around on the internet for the same items. We often buy items from online hobby shops in the US and ship them to Australia for cheaper than the price from the distributors??? how in the world can the LHS's ever win. The distributors must get a "wholesale" rate from the manufacturs and then ship the items out. I realise that they could never buy in the same quantities as the US distributors, but quantity discounts can the that big.

Thanks

P.S. I reckon that Rojj's buys his stock from overseas because sometimes, his prices are below cost price from the australian distributors.
As a plastic kit modeller myself I understand your statements. Some of the distributors are only in it for the money but, to be honest, they do have to make a profit. Some of the importer/distributors are ripping that market off now because they have made the market smaller due to their pricing practices.

As for Roj, he buys bulk from the standard wholesale/distributors. I'm not aware he brings anything in himself BUT if he does that it's rare. I've spoken to him about it and he relies on bulk buys at the right price at the right time (Annual Toy & Hobby show for one). Then he runs a slim margin. This is what separates him from some other LHS' who only buy a few of each item, the bulk pricing isn't there and so the product is more expensive and sits on the shelf for longer. Neither is wrong, but Roj definitely keeps stock moving and us flyers happy.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:50 PM
The Raven

SoCalSal,
Provided a hobby shop treats me fairly I'll do business with them, even if it does cost a fraction more. I like to spread my sales around so that all the local stores survive, rather than support one store that could end up having the entire market to themselves (with the potential to then price accordingly).

Internet purcahses can be good (mostly OS for me) but realise that money is going out of the country and not helping the LHS. Also factor in the risks when something goes bad. A club member I know is fixated on price and therefore buys everything off the internet with no consideration of the risks (lost, damaged, ripped off etc). He's been burned on deals many times, often through his own lack of caution. In many cases, he could have spent a few dollars more and got the same or better from a LHS with the option of having someone to deal with if the goods have problems.

Price isn't everything but having a good relationship with you LHS is worth it's weight in gold.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:12 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One of our local hobby shops, Seaport Hobbies in Tuckerton, NJ, is probably the best I've dealt with. Although there are others, this one does a lot of RC stuff, more than the others, and has a good stock on hand. And, if he does not have something in stock, he will find it and, if you want it, will order it. He usually gets delivery as promissed and the prices he charges rivals what you would see on the internet. He really is in business for the RC guy and has gotten a lot of business from happy customers that pass the word. I wanted a new OS 1.20 AX. Could have bought it from Tower Hobbies, but ordered it from him. He got it in in two days and charged me about 10 USD less than it would have cost me from Tower.. which amounted to the shipping costs. His supplier, which is also in NJ, had it delivered to him without shipping costs. He buys enough from this supplier I guess.. but passes the savings on to his customers. This is how he stays in business and people keep coming back. He told me that Thanksgiving weekend starts his Christmas selling season and he has a tough time keeping stock up!!! People will come in and order stuff knowing he will get it delivered in short order.

DS.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:37 AM
awood12345

Having worked at a model shop for about 2 years I get really annoyed when customers come in and end up saying that they can get it cheaper elsewhere, if you can why don't you! I will never let them know I'm anoyed though I will put a happy face on for the sake of the shop, model shops survive on thier servce afterall.

When some places order grey imports and some places actually sell it for exactly what they paid for it (just to annoy other shops) how can a small model shop compete with that. There's nothing wrong with people shopping around for a cheap deal, its just annoying when you can spend a hour showing and advising a customer many different accesories and kits pricing up as a compination deal to have the customer say I can get it £15 cheaper online elsewhere (nevermind that the shpping would cost £20 lol) and leave without even a thank you, in thier mind service and knowledge is worth nothing.

I have also seen a trend of shops giving a cheap price taking orders and waiting until they have enough to buy in bulk. People automatically think that is the normal price and compare it to elsewhere think why is it that price and do they actually have any.

Anyway rant over, I just want people to realise that small shops actually have the stock that you can look at, they have advice and lots of knowledge which can be invaluable, they might even suggest something else much better for your needs. Ffinally if you decide you would rather buy online please just don't tell them, they will be less willing to help in future as they will only believe that you are waisting thier time.

Alan
Old 11-17-2006, 04:56 PM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

It does my heart good to know that the same thing happens on the other side of the pond. Goes to show you people are all the same. He may be the same bloke that came here last week. Dennis
Old 11-18-2006, 07:37 AM
LDM

Hey DS , can you give me the address of seaport hobbies , I want to map quest it and see how far a ride it is from Pa ,
Thanks
LDM
Old 11-26-2006, 02:56 AM
teebox11
My Feedback: (33)

The real problem is the hobby business itself. Have you noticed with all products you see the "retail price--our price--or sale price"? This business operates totally in reverse of what normal business does. They show some rediculous "retail" price. Then they show "our" price, or "sale" price. Do they think we are all idiots? The sale/our price is the retail price, and discounts should be given off of that price. Are you really getting a deal if the retail price is $600, the "our" price is $250, and the store really paid a wholesale price of $150 from the distributor? GET SERIOUS! The retailers complain about the hobby going down the drain. Well, if they woke up and did business in the normal manner, they would make it. Another thing that is wrong is that the major suppliers (Tower, Horizon), are responsible for this crap. A product is made, sold to a distributor (first mark-up), to the store (second mark-up), then to the public (third mark-up). The retailer has to add to his cost the overhead and profit. This should be an honest cost. I know retailers that add as much as 70%! Don't these idiots realize that more is made in volume than in one or two units?!?!?!?! The bad part is that the major distributors (Tower, Horizon) tells them what they can and can't do. Sad. Run the hobby business like it should and everyone would be happy! Oh, been there, done that!
Old 11-26-2006, 07:25 AM
LDM

tee , sorry dude I totally disagree . Good hobby shops make very little in markup .They survive on the support equipment not the mark up on Kits , arfs or big stuff .
Yes some play the games , but they are the Toy hobby shopes , true hobby shops catering to the RC guy dont play as many games on mark up . I know shops that sell H9 arfs for $209 and others that sell them for $279 , same distributor and about the same volume store .

As a matter of fact Horison has there act together , I can buy a H9 plane cheaper from a hobby shop vs directly from them and that is how it should be . Distibutors need to protect there shops and not offer the same deal to the direct consumer .

FYI , I sell all the major retailer in every class of trade -high -low /fake retails exist everywhere .
Walmart -love them or hate them , if they negotiate a deal they pass on every cent to the consumer with EDLP (-Everyday -low-Price)
Target --high /low on ad ---Kmart -strugglesing to find themselves
Drug retailers -all high /low -defined as -high everyday 45% margin -then on ad 10 to 15% margin .
Clubs-costco /sams /Bjs , they work on 14% best deal if you can live with the size of goods ,
Supermarkets , 33% to 38% then on ad at Loss leader , or 10% to 15% .

Back on subject -rent is key to a HS , low rent properties , good used equipment to hang in the rafters for excitement , friendly knowledgeable servace , good inventory with fair mark up -defined by me as Tower Hobbies plus 10 to 15% (remember that is me ) they have every right to charge what they want but if I want the fun and conveiance of a shop I will support the local shop .Knowing your area and the key trends and being able to start & promote trends in your area .
Old 11-26-2006, 05:44 PM
driedjello

ORIGINAL: rcfury

...I myself am the assistant manager at hobbytown where...
We have a Hobbytown here in Omaha, NE and they are great. Their non-elitist attitude will make be buy there even if I can get it about 10-15% cheaper elsewhere. I will be happy to pay a premium at a store like Hobbytown who have earned it with great customer service.
Old 11-26-2006, 06:31 PM
Mastertech
My Feedback: (31)

Have you ever owned and run a hobby shop? From your post it doesn't seem so.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:28 PM
LDM

Tee , me???
Have you ??? if so do you still own one ? do you need to own one /run one to post a comment on buseness , do Walstreet fortune 500 analyst own every business or trend they study ?
Did Sam Walton own a Kmart before starting Walmart ???Did he own a Costco before starting Sams , did he own a craft store before strating Dotties???
Business is business , good is good and bad is bad , simple . I dont own a hobby shop for one simple reason , Tower and Ebay make it very difficult to make a profit for a local shop .
You have to have the correct demographics , income , location and know trends and most of all know that the customer is always right no matter how lame we in (RC ) can be , and yes we can be very lame with "I can get it cheaper " ect ect ect . IN the end , no matter what business your in , you work for the person that comes thru the door.Independant business is a funny term , going into business for yourself is like saying you now have unlimited bosses !!
I have total respect for all the independant guys who know what it takes to run and survive .
Check out a post I started about 11 months ago called "favorite hobby shops "
I have the luxary of traveling for business , in my spare time I seek out the local shops .
I have seen the great ones , the not so good and the I dont care to be in business ones .
You want to talk about a business model for shops ??? I can tell you one that blows me away , advertising on this site !!! .
I give you my word , this is a true comment , 5 years while visiting Sheldons Hobbys in Northern Cal , I picked up a 1/6 scale pica P40 for $189 . I also noticed they had 1/5 scale and they had about 20 Pica warbirds in stock .
The owner said "they just sit " . I answered a few guys on this site looking for Pica , 4 weeks later I was back in Northen Cal , one of the guys said " we dont know what happened , we had a run on the Pica stock "!!!!
RCU is a great starting point for a shop with something unique to offer .
Old 11-27-2006, 12:08 AM
panzerd18

I tried to post back here awhile ago but couldn't because of an error. I just wanted to say that the guy who owns the store I had the problem with, is selling up and leaving the market.

As for people stating they get annoyed by people asking for prices, I didn't want to tell him why I didn't want to buy the product right now, he persisted and asked me. Also I had only spoken to him for around 2-3mins so its not as if he spent heaps of his time talking to me. He didn't have prices on his website or price tags in store so how else was I meant to know how much he was selling his products for?
Old 11-27-2006, 07:17 AM
matt13

The experience with the hobby shop dealer that started this thread sounds like he had a few issues burning inside of him at the time when you walked in the store. Probally a little to do with some of the comments about the hobby trade that have since been posted. I have always tried to support the local stores in Adelaide where I live for the simple reason that I would hate to have to do all of my model shopping over the internet. I need my retail therapy from time to time and find myself going into a hobby shop just to "hang out" for a while. The other reason for buying locally is that the stores will be there when you need that 10 cent piece "now" to get you back into the sky and to have some kind of product support on hand. Everyone has to earn a living which is why I will pay a few dollars more to help keep them viable. If we are talking a big price difference then I must take the other option of going else where, but in most cases I find the difference is not worth the hassle.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:00 PM
The Raven

The problem with most specialist retail outlets are the customers. The store operator doesn't get to pick and choose his customers and, let's face it, there are a lot of annoying people out there who have ZERO grasp of the difficulties in running a business and will do everything to make the retail experience painful.

Sure not all retailers are perfect either but I can see how some of them become jaded/frustrated with people wondering in just to look at the prices and say "But I can get that cheaper".

Pricing is always going to be contentious but if the LHS is competitive and has a good business model then there shouldn't be many pricing discrepancies.

Having said all that, sometimes a retailer just has to be honest with a annoying customer and tell them the truth. Sure, they may lose that "customer" but sometimes it's for the best. Like all things, it's a difficult balance.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:58 PM
sigrun

ORIGINAL: The Raven
The problem with most specialist retail outlets are the customers.
Actually I'd debate that any LHS whose staff don't focus on the customer as their raison d'etre has a major problem, and will soon be without them...with the obvious consequence that engenders.

Sure, customers, like anything to do with pandering to the public in today's age of egocentricity and absence of etiquette where rudeness and aggression are considered acceptable behaviours, can be an utter PITA to deal with diplomatically. But if the LHS proprieter or his staff can't or won't, then they've chosen the wrong business, employees or job...or should be peddling a wide range of toys to an equally wide demographic in a large volume market using a skeleton staff in warehouse like premises where they can afford to adopt a "there'll always be enough nOObe suckers" approach.

The days of either distributor or reseller being able to gouge a captive market are over. Loyalty is no longer restricted by geography, but assigned through the perception of value which is as fickle as the next purchase experience - which may or may not include availablity of info and setup 'service' as a desired/unrequired commodity - at a competitive price. Whilst most won't argue a 5% variation on your average article over the comfort of shopping with the familiar, a 25% price premium will see 'em buy from 'down the road' no matter how good the 'service' - even if the anonymity of the internet is used to achieve it. And price being equal, I 'fess increasingly I actually choose to shop online in preference to having to deal with a walk-in employing staff with an unwanted 'attitude'.

And a plug. Whilst I can't walk-in to his store, Roj gets my vote BTW. 2000km away and he delivers 4½/5 stars on pricing, overall performance and his absence of 'attitude'.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.