Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 10:54 PM
Brian Smith
My Feedback: (117)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2 cycle oil debate

That was very interesting.. What do you think Ralph?? Brian Smith
ORIGINAL: plasticman

I just recently switched to Pennzoil Air Cooled after reading this article: http://www.ultralightnews.com/features/oiltest.htm

I would trust that anyone putting their life at risk in an Ultralight aircraft would want a top-grade oil.

P-man.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:48 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Works for me, my first 445 Zenoah twin picked up rpm with more oil...rcbugman and the Surfer agree, they put more hard hours on engines than anyone else...
Old 10-19-2006, 09:00 AM
rmh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

when running my glow engines - the subject of "how much oil" was also batted about
Some guys insisted the four strokers originally neded no -or just a dab of oil because firing every other stroke made them run cooler .
(Just to show how weird some ideas are ). next big idea-- 10% - -yeh -that's just right - sure --
needles were touchy and runing was varied in the air as flight loads changed -- another favorite mix one gallon of alky with one gallon of glo fuel -- non of these guys must have ever rally made these engine work for a living.

Not believing any of these "ideas" I stuck with 20-30 % oil depending on engine and amount of nitro used - including Super Tigres -which really ran hardbut sucked up huge amounts of fuel--
my 91 OS Surpass -in pattern plane ran 20%oil and 35%+ nitro at 10200 on the ground on 11x10's- and ran perfectly -never a lick of problems except the needle valve seat finally needed replacing (too much oil?)
My current crop of gassers get 91 oct and 30% oil from first flip and the pistons have no scratches and compression sealing is tight as a mouses ear.
I have run the 40/50/ 80cc ZDZ engines upwards of 8500 in the air - no problems - the 26Evolution -at over 10000
over and over - If the oil reduces the performance - I can't see how it happens.
No problems - so I will stick with the oily stuff.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:29 AM
tkg
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: dick Hanson
My current crop of gassers get 91 oct and 30% oil from first flip and the pistons have no scratches and compression sealing is tight as a mouses ear.
- If the oil reduces the performance - I can't see how it happens.
what you ment to say is 30:1 ratio or about 4 oz per gallon ??? RIGHT????
Old 10-19-2006, 09:54 AM
Panzlflyer
My Feedback: (15)

I'll say it again DA does not say you can only run Amsoil, they say both verbally and in the instruction "ANY GOOD QUALITY" oil.
the only thing I was told was not to use one particular manufacturers oil.

I ran Belray H1R at 40:1 and asked them to make any comments on how my 100 looked after i sent it in for a checkup, as my feelings wouldnt be hurt by their comments, they said it looked fine, no problems at all
Old 10-19-2006, 10:04 AM
Brian Smith

Mind if I ask what oil they told you "not" to use? Brian [email protected]...
ORIGINAL: andyt

I'll say it again DA does not say you can only run Amsoil, they say both verbally and in the instruction "ANY GOOD QUALITY" oil.
the only thing I was told was not to use one particular manufacturers oil.

I ran Belray H1R at 40:1 and asked them to make any comments on how my 100 looked after i sent it in for a checkup, as my feelings wouldnt be hurt by their comments, they said it looked fine, no problems at all
Old 10-19-2006, 11:26 AM
rmh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yep -30-1 synthetic-on gasoline - and on my ignition alky setups I used 20% Klotz/5%nitromethane
as you well know -alky is a drying agent - and gasoline is made from oil -different oil requirements
Either setup - I never found any fouling of the plugs on ignition.
the teensy weensy plugs I used in my Tigre really were not the best setup tho -I put thick silicone tubes over the insulators to prevent arc over from possibly dirty porcelain (kinda off the subject)
Old 10-19-2006, 07:00 PM
akschu
My Feedback: (5)

I looked over that site and it didn't make a lick of sense to me. It's like the entire point was how much carbon the oil produces, but I didn't see any mention of tuning and how much it can affect the wash on the piston. If you want a clean piston, then run it mega rich, the fuel will wash the carbon off the piston.

Here is a picture of my snowmobiles piston:

The oil and fuel is exactly the same, the difference is the jetting. The right side is pretty lean as it shows very little wash, but the left side is very rich. I'll be lowering the jetting on the left side and raising the jetting on the right side this season.

schu
Old 10-19-2006, 07:09 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: dick Hanson

I have run the 40/50/ 80cc ZDZ engines upwards of 8500 in the air - no problems - the 26Evolution -at over 10000
over and over - If the oil reduces the performance - I can't see how it happens.
Oil = GOOD

No/low Oil = Heat

Heat = BAD

Dick is another of the "so called" experts in this thread. What could the man possibly know about engines, pipes, and oils? He's tried just about all of them with every combination most of you could only dream of. I think I'll trust his testimonial when he tells me his engines run fine and the cylinders aren't scratched from using higher oil content.

What can possibly be gained from starving the engine for oil? I just don't understand that. I'm not fouling plugs at 40:1 with regular old dinosaur oil and I'm not scoring cylinders either. No carbon deposits on my pistons. Plenty of RPM.

I'll just stop. I know what I'm doing to my engine.

You can cook yours if ya want.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:24 PM
rc bugman
My Feedback: (30)

Picture 1 = pennzoil air cooled at 20:1

Picture 2 = Mobile syn at 32:1

Picture 3 = Amsoil saber at 100:1

Picture 4 = Belray 1hr at 40:1

All oils tested with 6 hrs running at wide open throttle with the head temperature held between 195-220 degrees.

Elson
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49235.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	544110   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33148.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	544111   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw59171.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	544112   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pj19194.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	544113  
Old 10-19-2006, 07:27 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

Everyone gets so bent out of shape if someone says they like to use 100:1 or 80:1 or anything over 50:1 for that matter..why do people try and argue the point ? Seriously..If someone feels confident using 100:1 so what ? Good for them..If the engine manufacturer says that 100:1 can be used if desired then use it if you want..end of story..

BTW I use BelRay H1R at 50:1..so there!
Old 10-19-2006, 07:35 PM
Bob Laine
My Feedback: (91)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This horse has been road to death. Always a Newbie that get's it started over & over again. rc Bugman, RCIGN!, and Silversurfer, have answered this question many times. Listen and learn
Old 10-19-2006, 07:37 PM
akschu
My Feedback: (5)

Those pictures of the wash show you more about jetting and heat then they show you about well the oil lubercates. What would be better is to see piston, wrist pin, and crank wear.

I would way rather have some carbon build up and no bearing wear than the other way around.

schu
Old 10-19-2006, 07:38 PM
Josey Wales

ORIGINAL: Bob Laine

This horse has been road to death. Always a Newbie that get's it started over & over again. rc Bugman, RCIGN!, and Silversurfer, have answered this question many times. Listen and learn
yep!
Old 10-19-2006, 08:35 PM
CiprianGugu
My Feedback: (17)

akschu,

Your avatar is way cooool, why didn't I think of that?
Old 10-19-2006, 08:37 PM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't see where the "oil debate" is either. I know what I use at at what ratio and I'm happy, so where's the problem? I look at oil like I do money. More is usually a lot better than less. Use more oil, spend less money
Old 10-19-2006, 08:38 PM
Josey Wales

ORIGINAL: Silversurfer

I can't see where the "oil debate" is either. I know what I use at at what ratio and I'm happy, so where's the problem?
My point exactly
Old 10-19-2006, 09:05 PM
Brian Smith

Hey you old Georgia buzzard. All I ask was where the thread was.. .. I been to your house.. I might come back some day so be nice Ya' Hear? Brian Smith

Old 10-19-2006, 10:19 PM
kwilliby
My Feedback: (13)

I looked at the ultralite website and it looks like Penzoil air cooled 50:1 is pretty darn good. I spent a lot of time looking at other threads and thought a good synthetic oil was the way to go. So I went out and bought some Redline high performance 2 stoke and mixed it 50:1. So far it seems to be just fine. But I don't know long term how it will perform.

Should I switch to penzoil 2 stroke air cooled and forget the synthetic oils?

I'm new to gas engines and could use some direction.

Thanks!
Old 10-19-2006, 10:26 PM
RTK

Macht Nichts,,, use either and you will be fine.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:05 PM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been using Redline for about he last 3 years now in all my engines and they still work just fine.
Old 10-20-2006, 04:56 AM
Stuart D

"Oils aint Oils" as the saying goes . Here is a fact most of you will be surprised to know .
If an oil is purchased outside its country of origin it has a high chance of not being what
it claims to be .

How so ? Lets take any large oil brand and say they want to export there product to the
other side of the globe and that country already has its own oil industry .

All they sell is the rights to there product and the off shore user can make there own stuff
with the "Original" manufacturers name and full blessing .

The up shot of this is do you own testing and dont belive what it says on the bottle or there
web site .

Stu D
Old 10-20-2006, 07:31 AM
Bob Laine
My Feedback: (91)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry Brian............ Tell me when I can come out of the corner. (if I can find one) Come on down......welcome anytime. Bob
Old 10-20-2006, 07:32 AM
Brian Smith

I don't remember coming across Red Line.. Who sells it? Thanks Brian
ORIGINAL: Silversurfer

I've been using Redline for about he last 3 years now in all my engines and they still work just fine.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:34 AM
Brian Smith

aww, If you found a corner, come on out... It is all in fun.. Brian

Sorry Brian............ Tell me when I can come out of the corner. (if I can find one) Come on down......welcome anytime. Bob

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.