Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

New F-16 D/F (glow) from Kyosho, what do you think? (Added picture)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

New F-16 D/F (glow) from Kyosho, what do you think? (Added picture)

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2002, 12:11 AM
littlepiston
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Woo Hoo! it flew!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

mine flew the first time,in to the ground,i then sent it back to hobby servces and got a new one. the second one i got i put an os 25 and Rk20B fan in it, its tight fit! but it work well the test flight was made alone when no one was around because the first time every one laughed at it when it hit the ground it just wobled to the ground, welll the thing took off quikly i was so dam impressed . it flew for 4 min. i was playing with it and it was time to land this thing, the landing was so good i thought it was a plane with a prop!!!!then i taxied it back to the pitts fueled it up and flew it again. this is one thing Kyosho should conciter doing with it ,sending the os or K&B engine and a kress RK20B fan with it .i sold my first one and i now have another to make it almost same way, but this time it a KRESS fan RK 720 3in.fan. i should be able to make a full duct to gain some more speed. the people at the field say it was going around 80 MPH straight and leval. im trying to get it to go faster and with this fan it will be lighter too. right now with the RK20B fan it weighs 3.9 LB no fuel with the smaller fan it should weigh 3.5 LB.i will only use one servo on the wing . cool little plane!!! fits in side my S10 pickup!!!!
Old 03-06-2002, 12:46 AM
SECRET AGENT
My Feedback: (18)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New F-16 D/F (glow) from Kyosho, what do you think? (Added picture)

Man I sure wish I had consulted you guys before I flew the durn thing, I had it balanced right on as the plans said. After consulting the video (crash video) of her first and only two flights, you are right, she did act as if she were a little on the tail heavy side. Oh well, I still plan to put two of the F-86 motors in an A-10 (cartoon scale) and see how they go. I was going to use two liter pop bottle bottoms as cowls but darn technology, they don't put those things on pop bottles any more, any suggestions??
Old 03-06-2002, 01:00 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Nice work, Littlepiston. I bet it screams with a 21.
I do not think Kyosho will be putting kress fans in their kits...they actually DID sell kits for the Kress fans many years ago, like the Tommycat, but I do not think the Kress product is up to their standards. Plus...one of the BIG draws to this model is the pull start.
Watch out if you are using one of those kress fans with the clear vivak shroud. They don't work. Use the rotor(which is fine, though check that it is drilled properly down the center) and roll your own shroud. The vivak shroud is not round, and cannot be made to keep a round shape, as once the hole is cut for the head to stick out, the internal stresses in the plastic change. Also, it will crack at every single screw hole through the plastic. I built two of those fans and got zero flights out of them.
If you have one of the orange nylon shrouds, you should be okay. Very limited fuel capacity on those bullet tanks, though.
I think a better way to upgrade the thing, maybe less work and less cost, would be to use a more powerful buggy engine instead.
Sorry about not mentioning the tailheavy thing first. That first flight was over a year ago, and I have yakked about this jet so much I forgot about it. It is a MAJOR blunder on Kyosho's part, and there is NO excuse for them to get the CG wrong, especially on a plane that is so critical in the first place.
But I remember that first flight VERY well. Dragging its butt around the turns, and twitchy as heck. I also remember one really dramatic flight much later, where it kept spinning at the slightest provocation, and it turned out that an ounce of noseweight had come out on the previous landing. That was a hairy flight.
Old 03-06-2002, 01:02 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

And I think anybody who crashed their kit should get a replacement if their instructions showed the wrong CG. That's not right.
Old 03-06-2002, 01:13 AM
t33jetman
My Feedback: (1)

Hay easytiger,

I too put a lot of nose weight in my plane, and it did fly tail heavy but like you after flying it so much you forget about that correction and move on to the fun.
Old 03-06-2002, 01:44 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Yup. It really is neat to fly. Keeps you on your toes, and actually a lot of fun. Will loop from a shallow dive, and rolls are really neat. Low passes are what it's all about, though. Landings are cake.
We dreamed about this for years...a little jet that you could throw in the car. With landing gear, none of that bungee stuff. One that looked like a jet, too. To me, the FIRST flight made it all worthwhile, felt like a real milestone of a plane.
I have flown one that had a Toki 18 engine, with the kyosho fan. BIG difference, much more sporting. My next one will have the more efficient Toki fan, too, so it should be even better.
I have not flown one off of the bungee...many have said that ditching the gear makes a big difference, plus the bungee takes the iffyness out of the takeoff every time.
When I first got the Kyosho T33, after a few bad hand launches, I made up a bungee and that took care of it. It's just a hassle to transport and set up, and having gear is so nice. One guy at least has put retracts in the Sabre, said it flew fine with the extra weight.
Old 03-06-2002, 03:28 AM
t33jetman
My Feedback: (1)

easytiger,

Can you get me one of those fan and motors so I can fly faster too?

[email protected]
Old 03-06-2002, 03:33 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

I will be getting a few more in a month or so. I hope. They have been finicky about getting the performance right before releasing it. I had a couple of extras, they went to a guy who is doing an AirWorld Me262. I am not a distributor for them, just a buddy, but I told them I would take ten when they become available. I figure I can find enough people to use them.
There will be an article in Model Aviation with a scratch-built design for this engine by Joe Beshar, but not until the fan becomes commercially available. They have been refining the fan for over a year, I believe the last ones I got are the final iteration of the design.
Old 03-06-2002, 03:34 AM
littlepiston

OOOOOOOOOps wrong person
Old 03-06-2002, 03:39 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Sorry?
Old 03-06-2002, 03:40 AM
littlepiston

i would like to see pics of the retracs this "guy" put on his sabre
Old 03-06-2002, 03:42 AM
littlepiston

has any one done this and where can i get them!?
Old 03-06-2002, 03:42 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Sure, you know, so would I. It was wotzech Iwanizek, though I cannot spell his name. He's from my area. I think I have his email on file, I'll ask him if he has pics...
Old 03-06-2002, 03:44 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Scuse me. Wojtek Iwanczyk. He has a turbine heli that's pretty neat, too.
Old 03-06-2002, 03:50 AM
littlepiston

and a cool name
Old 03-06-2002, 03:50 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

And TRY not to be a snot, littlepiston. This "guy" is real.
At some point you have to knock it off. I know you are new to jets, and you can use all the friends you can get. It's a pretty small jet world, mostly very nice guys, but you can get a bad rap pretty quickly, especially on the net, and you will burn a lot of bridges to a lot of people who can really help you with their experience.
I've gone turbine, and I have a whole LOT to learn about that. I rely on the more experienced guys out there to keep me from learning everything the hard way.
Glad your 25 powered sabre worked out, that's great. Better than stock. But, I think at this point, you will have to accept that the thing DOES fly in the stock condition. You can't just say "Hmmm...it's junk." Because I flew mine just fine. As did many others. So, let's drop it already, it's getting silly. I really don't need the e-gument.
Old 03-06-2002, 03:54 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Sorry, your last post above appeared while I was typing the response above.
I would not wish that name on a dog. Nice fellow, though.
I don't know whether or not you and I are on the same page here, little piston. I'm not sure if you are being a pain or being sincere, so just clarify your stance so I know whether to help you or ignore you. Sorry, but the internet, and smileys, do not have the same nuances as live conversation.
Old 03-06-2002, 03:58 AM
littlepiston

what do you meen "snot!" i did not when oooooohhhhh well you mean under my name?yeah but its my junk every one at my club says its junk i know it aint but they say yeah well all the peolpe have ben goo to me but there is some mean people out there dont care for them
i apoligize for every thing and any thing i ever said ok ok
Old 03-06-2002, 04:01 AM
littlepiston

no i was for realy about the name cool name
Old 03-06-2002, 04:05 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

We're cool, littlepiston. Neither you nor I needs any enemies!
Besides, this is model airplanes, it's supposed to be fun, not a big argument. It ain't worth all that.
I don't know if my TokiSabre will outperform yours with the 25...there is no substitute for cubic inches, always. You can refine the ducting, clean up the plane, whatever, but the best way to get performance out of a DF is to wrap the airframe around the biggest engine you can.
Old 03-06-2002, 04:11 AM
littlepiston

Default sabre

so what do we talk about next :stupid: we took care of the argument.
do you have a byron pipe? by an chance?
Old 03-06-2002, 04:22 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

You missed the Byron Vtech pipe I had on ebay a few days ago. Went for only $20 or so. I have a complete os91/hurricane/weston setup on ebay right now, under my seller name EASYTIGER. I do not think I have any more seperate pipes. I must have sold of a dozen over the last year as I got out of Byrojets. Which airplane are you thinking of?
Old 03-06-2002, 04:24 AM
littlepiston

thats you?!?!?!? darn Byron F-16 easytiger you want to trade? for and engien for that set up?
Old 03-06-2002, 04:31 AM
littlepiston

Pm me easy tiger
Old 03-06-2002, 04:31 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

The one and only, the King of Vintage balsa!
The byron F16 was the first serious jet I had, I cannot recommend it enough. GREAT model. The setup I have on ebay would be the very best of the best for it. I actually flew mine for the first time with a Rossi 65, and power was not an issue.
Beleive it or not, when it first came out, guys were flying it on regular side exhaust schnuerle 60's. It flew...but sorta like the Kyosho Sabre!
With a 91, it's a dream to fly. Stick with fixed gear, you won't be sorry.
As far as trades, I am open to suggestion...but I don't need another sabre...
All the best,
Curtis

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.