Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Skymaster RTF F-4C install pictures

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Skymaster RTF F-4C install pictures

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 01:50 PM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Default RE: Skymaster RTF F-4C install pictures

you could also brush some heat shield in the area in which the engine sits with an extra coat or two near the tail cone. or ceramic blanket etc.

definitely chop the inlet to allow bypass air to flow around the engine
Old 03-28-2008, 11:24 PM
avionics
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes Ian you are right i have decided to move the turbine back a bit to open up the front and also get the exhaust section more in to the tail cone. thanks everyone for their comments.

Reza
Old 06-04-2008, 12:12 AM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hello all. I just put my order in yesterday on the Coral Sea theme. Looking forward to getting this kit. I can't wait to fly it.

I'm going with full kit, with cockpit detail, drop tanks and missles, the works. Looks like I will be putting in a Rhino at this time. Does anyone have any links on Pilots to use with this? Also, If anyone has any scale pics of the Coral Sea theme it would be greatly appriciated.

Andy
Old 06-04-2008, 08:14 AM
f106jax
My Feedback: (16)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Andy,

Great choice on the color scheme. I might suggest that you consider getting a white F-4 and doing the paint work yourself. My SM F-4 is the Coral Sea Sundowner scheme also. The build quality is good but the paint work is less than desirable. Surface prep was very minimal, I've got paint chips popping off of the surface due to a lack of prepping the white surface. The shark mouth template is actually for the F-14 Sundowner, not the F-4. If you're interested in a scale look, there is a substantial difference between the F-14 and F-4 shark mouth. The tail "sun rays" do not line up where they meet at the leading and trailing edges. My plan is to repaint the squadron markings completely.

Overall, I like the kit and would buy another SM F-4. I will not buy another SM pre-painted kit, I'd rather control the quality of the paint work and have access to touch up paint if needed.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:37 AM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: f106jax

Andy,

Great choice on the color scheme. I might suggest that you consider getting a white F-4 and doing the paint work yourself. My SM F-4 is the Coral Sea Sundowner scheme also. The build quality is good but the paint work is less than desirable. Surface prep was very minimal, I've got paint chips popping off of the surface due to a lack of prepping the white surface. The shark mouth template is actually for the F-14 Sundowner, not the F-4. If you're interested in a scale look, there is a substantial difference between the F-14 and F-4 shark mouth. The tail "sun rays" do not line up where they meet at the leading and trailing edges. My plan is to repaint the squadron markings completely.

Overall, I like the kit and would buy another SM F-4. I will not buy another SM pre-painted kit, I'd rather control the quality of the paint work and have access to touch up paint if needed.

Hey Jax,

Too late, I believe it has already shipped. Although looking at the pics and comparing the two I can't tell the difference on the mouth. Also, couldn't I put a layer of clear over the paint to prevent chipping? I'm not a painter. If I was I would use the white and paint one. I'm not looking for Top Gun Scale anyway.

Andy\

just looked again -I see the difference now. Its in the actual teeth. I think I can fix this fairly easy by correcting it with red paint.

Andy
Old 06-23-2008, 12:18 AM
rbxbear44
My Feedback: (86)

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey Andy,
So we meet again!!! I have one of these...almost ready to maiden. Put a Rhino in this week and just finalizing new 12X radio install and a few odds and ends. Trying to figure out the tail pipe...down thrust is pretty heavy...trying to keep "hot spots" from happening in the pipe though.

I have the full lighting system and chute. Jolly Roger scheme...no ordinance....yet!

Waiting on Details 4 Scale to send the working canopy.

Rex
Old 06-23-2008, 11:13 PM
rbxbear44

Andy,
Great talking with you today. I pulled the whole rudder assembly apart to see what was happening in there (had to dig through the stab system and chute to get there). I think I am going to go ahead with the Rudder Mod we did on the F-16's. I tried to get a solid hold and just was not getting it done with the stock set up. Besides, after having to get to the rudder tonight...I don't want to have to dig back there again if the rudder does chump out on me. It's a once and for all fix.

Let me know how you are progressing along on this bird.

Rex

Old 06-30-2008, 12:53 AM
David Jackson
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rex,

I have completed the assembly of the tail section and fuse on the F-4 I got from you a few weeks ago. Finished the minor repair to wing tonight and will begin work on the gear doors and retract installation this week. Once this plane is completed, it will be powered by an AMT 400. Just curious, is the pipe that was supplied with the plane suitable for an engine producing 39+pounds of thrust?

DLJ
Old 07-01-2008, 12:40 PM
rbxbear44

Hmmmm...David, that is a good question. I would probably run that one by Anton or Jeff....see what they have to say. I do know that when guys were going to the P180 on the SM F-16, they had to change to a larger diameter pipe...but this is bifurcated so I don;t know if that makes a difference.

I have mine ready to fly...maybe tomorrow. Good lusk on your build...I take it you did get the cockpit I sent to you a while back.

Rex