Community
Search
Notices
Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

BIG LAMA

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 02:23 PM
MsDarla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BIG LAMA

Someone keeps buying up all the parts for them.

https://www.toysonics.com/esky-big-lama-e020/ [&o]
Old 01-11-2009, 03:12 PM
tkeeg

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea MsDarla, I have to admit that I am guilty of that. I just ordered more spare parts last night from the place I bought my Big Lama from, XHeli.com. On this page http://www.xheli.com/eskybiglama.html they have most of the spare parts listed and in stock, but there are no photos posted of most of them. If you click on each one and put it into your shopping basket, it will tell you what it is, then just delete the ones you don’t want.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:32 PM
tkeeg

Hey Peter,
In regard to your earlier question: “Do you think the original motors could lift 1 extra ounce weight of one of these video cameras ??†here is what I found out. My “5in1 eDVR†USB video/still camera weighs 0.77 ounces. I mounted it under the battery & between the skids of my Big Lama today. With the foam & rubber bands that I used to mount and cushion the camera against vibrations the total weight was 0.88 ounces. The Big Lama didn’t notice the extra weight at all. At ½ throttle it was hovering effortlessly at the ceiling. Unfortunately, this camera only shoots facing straight down and since I had moved all of the furniture out of the center of the room there was not much to look at on the video, only a bare rug and didn’t look like much on this low resolution video. However during the few seconds that the copter flew near the perimeter of the room some of the edges of the furniture were visible and I was surprised at how stable the picture was. It was smooth and not jumpy as you might suspect. I guess that is because the Big Lama hovers very stable and I used a lightweight foam, about 1†thick to cradle the camera.
In my opinion, the Big Lama will have plenty of power to handle your camera.
Tom
Old 01-12-2009, 03:03 AM
pgroom_68

Hey again tkeeg,
Thanks for all your efforts - very much appreciated. My Big Lama is due to arrive on Friday and I can't wait! It looks like the FlyCamOne2 is a go at 1 ounce weight then. $99 US each[] - maybe I should wait for the FlyCamOne3?????

Thanks again.

Peter
Old 01-12-2009, 03:07 AM
pgroom_68

Double post - sorry!
Old 01-12-2009, 08:12 AM
downunderdog

ORIGINAL: pgroom_68

...maybe I should wait for the FlyCamOne3?????
I haven't seen any reviews of this option, but the video on their website looks pretty good. Price is about USD$80.

"Smaller than a pack of gum, the AeroCam can be used to video just about anything! It also serves as a flash drive for your computer!

It records video in 640 x 480 resolution, and delivers far better quality than the FlyCamOne2 at a far lower cost. Better yet, it only weighs .7 ounces, making it suitable for just about any RC plane! Includes 2 gb micro SD memory card."

http://modelaero.com/Merchant5/merch...egory_Code=ACC

I noticed it in this thread:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8218556/tm.htm
Old 01-13-2009, 02:06 AM
pgroom_68

Thanks again DownUnderDog,

You saved me a more expensive option - how about a AUD$ commission? On second thoughts - sorry, can't do it for legal reasons. That is the second time you have saved me with your down-to-earth sense. I can have moments of duh! (But I don't at all resemble Homer) I've already checked these out - you're right - they are better - and cheaper! (and INCLUDE a 2GB SD card - as you said) What I thought was interesting was, "The key to getting good video from any of these little cameras is to isolate the camera from the aircraft vibration." [RE: FlyCamOne2 on glow and gas powered airplanes. (on RC link - post #6)]

Any ideas/ Tkeeg says he effectively uses foam & rubber bands with his camera. (post #53 above)

Thanks again - I will further investigate when my Big Lama arrives (from RCHelicopterShop.com in Hong Kong) - hurry up Friday.

Peter
Old 01-13-2009, 02:35 AM
downunderdog

I have no idea if that camera lives up to it's website, but I saw the thread in the aerial photography area so I thought I'd share the information. As I've been wanting one of them, I'd be interested in hearing how it works if you get one. I'm starting to try to put together something to use an old DSC-U20 Sony camera on a Parkzone T-28 Trojan airplane. There's a lot of good information about aerial photography at:

http://www.rc-cam.com/project1.htm

(see other links along the left hand side of that page for other projects and stuff). I'd love to do First Person Video with a wireless camera some day, but right now I don't have the time to dedicate to messing around with it.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:42 AM
MsDarla

Here is a decent video of one flying: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7t...ma-jr_creation
Old 01-13-2009, 08:40 PM
Disney1

Evening Msdarle:

very nive video of the lama.
For those of you interested US Hobby supply now has then in stock.

https://www.ushobbysupply.com/produc...89e8c9804e9c26

R[8D]N Sr
Old 01-14-2009, 02:51 AM
pgroom_68

Hey DownUnderDog,
I emailed re. that camera & a few questions - here is their response in part:

"The shipping will be $12.95 to you in Australia for a total of $92.90.[US$ of course] This includes camera, 2 gb memory card, and USB cable.

The lens is non-variable and is on the opposite side of the white buttons, just above the clip. You can see the lens in the picture on my website [link=http://modelaero.com/Merchant5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=M&Product_Code =CAM&Category_Code=ACC]here[/link] [the same link as you posted above from this RCUniverse.com forum]

The camera would be positioned vertically for shooting video.

The camera weighs 22 grams including battery and memory card.

No changes are planned for the camera right now. The video quality is much better than FlyCamOne2, especially in low light. The video on my website is my second attempt at onboard video. It is easy and fun to use..."

Sounds great - eh? With the exchange rate not being favourable at present I might hold off for a few weeks then paypal will definately get a visit!

On a more positive note, MY VERY OWN BIG LAMA ARRIVED FROM RCHELICOPTERSHOP.COM (IN HONGKONG) TODAY - TWO DAYS EARLIER THAN SCHEDULED!!! I only ordered it on Friday & it's here on the following Wednesday!! I'm so excited - now I will get to see first hand what all the fuss is about!. So if I'm not on the forum you know I will be outside flying! (or in the rec room when the light disappears)

Peter
Old 01-14-2009, 06:40 AM
downunderdog

Cool. I'm interested in that camera, but you're right about the exchage rate being bad at the moment, and also I've got my hands full trying to get my DSC-U20 to be RC controllable, so I'm going to hold off on it for a while, as well... I'd like to see it get out there, and then read some user reviews, before I seriously consider buying one. I will probably go to the states some time in mid-late '09, so I might order something and have it shipped to a friend's house there and pick it up while I'm visiting.

Have fun with the Big Lama.... Gotta love rchelicoptershop - they've always had really quick shipping when I've ordered from them. Let us know how it goes!
Old 01-14-2009, 09:37 PM
douglas4

http://www.discountrctoys.com/_e/4_C...r_LiPo_RTF.htm

It also seems the lower head has metal pins instead of plastic so safe to assume the upper head has them too...?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95766.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	1111068   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr53517.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	1111069  
Old 01-16-2009, 04:00 AM
pgroom_68

DownUnderDog, I have a question for you. When the guys answered "The camera would be positioned vertically for shooting video", does he mean that it has to be mounted cross-ways (from port to starboard - on its edge)??

ORIGINAL: pgroom_68
...MY VERY OWN BIG LAMA ARRIVED I'm so excited - now I will get to see first hand what all the fuss is about!. So if I'm not on the forum you know I will be flying...
Hey guys & gals,

Please see pics below. I asked the store to sub a few items - the battery charger, wall power adapter, AA batteries for Tx, 12V battery connector, and FMS - and they did and substituted [link=http://www.rchelicoptershop.net/catalog/airy-harden-blade-ax07-p-731.html]these[/link] 3 sets of AX-07 Airy Harden Blade II for my Big Lama instead (nearly $30 value at no cost)! I'm a very happy camper!
I'm just doing some checks on how much weight it can comfortably carry - I will keep you 'posted'

Peter
P.S. No MsDarla, I didn't get any of the parts or heli from US - so I'm not responsible for cleaning them out!

Name:	Da83422.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	1111888   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55584.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	1111889   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg91584.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	1111890   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ib82315.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	1111891   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92617.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	1111892   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44379.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	1111893   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58810.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	1111894  
Old 01-17-2009, 08:04 AM
downunderdog

DownUnderDog, I have a question for you. When the guys answered "The camera would be positioned vertically for shooting video", does he mean that it has to be mounted cross-ways (from port to starboard - on its edge)??
The way I read that, it sounds like he is saying that the 3 inch dimension should be up-down. In looking at the picture on their website, I think the lens faces out of the side that has dimensions of .75 x 3 inches (with depth about .5 inch). I would think that you could put the 3 inch dimension in either direction, but maybe if you put it port-starboard the video will be on it's side when you watch it on the computer(?). It says it records in .avi format - I would guess that there is software that allows you to rotate it 90 degrees if you want, but I'd check into it first just in case. It seems that having the 3 inch dimension up-down would be a bit awkward on the heli. I'm still interested in that camera, but would like to see what people say about it in online reviews before I get one.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:01 PM
tkeeg

In regard to the AeroCam Lite, I spoke to the guy who is selling them before I ordered one a few days ago. If you look at the photos of the camera at this website, http://modelaero.com/Merchant5/merch...egory_Code=ACC , in the top smaller photo to the right you can see the belt clip. Just above the belt clip is a tiny hole, well that is the lense, It limits how you can place the camera. You would just have to get inventive with how you mount it to your heli.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:50 PM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: tkeeg
In regard to the AeroCam Lite, I spoke to the guy who is selling them before I ordered one a few days ago. If you look at the photos of the camera at this website, http://modelaero.com/Merchant5/merch...egory_Code=ACC , in the top smaller photo to the right you can see the belt clip. Just above the belt clip is a tiny hole, well that is the lense, It limits how you can place the camera. You would just have to get inventive with how you mount it to your heli.
Did I read correctly? You went the plunge and ordered one? If so, you're the man to talk to for answers. How long will it take to ship to you? As DownUnderDog suggests there is software available to rotate some forms of video files - but I am not up to speed on those either. It sounds like it will serve you well as you could always mount it on your fixed wing models in suitable orientation (after you've tried it out on the Big Lama of course). I'm one happy camper at the moment - everything is going really well!

Peter
Old 01-17-2009, 10:02 PM
tkeeg

Yes Peter, right after speaking with the guy on the website a few days ago I ordered one. He said that it would be a week or more before he received his orders. Of course he would then have to ship them out, so I figure that it will probably be about 2 weeks before I get it.
I intend on hanging it between my skids with the belt clip (lense) side looking down, but not straight down. I’m going to fashion some kind of foam holder that will put the camera on about a 30 to 40 degree angle with the bottom of the camera hanging lower than the top. That way I can look down and also quite a bit forward. I intend on doing the same thing on my planes, hanging it between my landing gear in a similar fashion.
It should work fine, but if not, at least it is not a huge investment and in my opinion worth the small risk.
On a different note, I just ordered a 2.4 GHz Spektrum AR6000 receiver to put in my Big Lama. I got it on eBay for $49.00 with free shipping. I am going to replace the old style 72 MHz receiver than came with the Big Lama so that I can use my 2.4 GHz Spektrum DX7 transmitter to have more control over the heli and be able to use dual rates and expo. I also ordered a second 2.4 GHz Spektrum AR6000 receiver to put in my Esky Dauphin for the same reasons.
Tom
Old 01-18-2009, 04:42 AM
pgroom_68

Sounds great Tom. That is JUST what I would do to mount it at that angle. Keep us informed when it arrives.

I have the data on lift and the Big Lama now. So here goes:
All this testing was conducted using an unmodified Big Lama straight out of the box with standard Esky blades and motors!
First thing was to make a cradle for the batteries - no matter what size - to fit into. Solved: Rubber band sling (see pic)
The weight of my Big Lama (no battery) is 338.9g [11.59oz for our US friends]
The "battery box" maximum dimensions are H20mm x W30mm x L66mm-182mm [for US equivalents please see tkeeg post #44 [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=8343936]here[/link] ]. The minimum length here is dictated by the distance between the frame legs and the maximum is the length I have seen advertised lipos on ebay go up to.
As the Xtreme batteries that I've ordered from Miracle-mart haven't arrived yet (I expect them 2morrow), the only one that will fit in the battery box is my original (Esky 11.1V 800mAh) - it weighs 62.7g [2.21oz]. YOU ALL KNOW HOW THIS FEELS - 9 minutes at 3 foot hover! This will be my base line.
Next was a 1500mAh Lipo that had to go between the skids 114.5g [4.04 oz]. This was a little slow to jump up - but hovered nicely for 14 minutes. Then there was a Tx Lipo 1600mAh it weighed 140g [4.94 oz]. This was able to get up to hover - but the helicopter was erratic in its behaviour (hard to control) - and only lasted 9 minutes at 3 feet. Then I attached the big daddy of my collection @ 2200mAh weighing in at 166g [5.86 oz] - I WAS SHOCKED THAT THIS EVEN GOT OFF THE GROUND. It did, but only to a height of 10-16 cm [4-6"] and I couldn't get it to fly any higher than that so gave up after half a minute.
The maximum weight that my Big Lama could just lift was: 207g [7.0 oz]
My conclusions after spending an afternoon doing this: The manufacturer was right! Keep the weight down to a minimum. At least I found a comfortable hovering weight of 80g [2.82 oz]- this is the optimum weight I believe & have been searching ebay Australia for a battery that is 1100 or 1200mAh that has a weight of around 80-82g. Failing that, I am going to get more Xtreme 11.1V 850mAh 20C ones @ 65g [2.29 oz]. Miracle-mart has them at present - and I hope USHobbySupply later. They are surprisingly affordable at MM now for $23.60 each. They can fit in the battery area @ H18mm x W26mm x L73mm also so you can reserve between the skids for cameras

UPDATE: I have just put on the first set of airy II (AX -07) blades that came in box with mine(see pic above post #64). They fit perfectly and are more flexible which is what I need right now 'cause I don't have a great lot of room to fly at present!

Peter

Name:	Lj22217.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	1113335   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51490.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	1113336  
Old 01-19-2009, 12:48 AM
pgroom_68

I'm used to flying Lama4s indoors. I know these Big Lamas are designed for outdoors, but I am hesitant to do so 'cause it might get away from me. What is the procedure for checking to see how far away you CAN get before loss of signal?

Peter
Old 01-19-2009, 05:16 AM
downunderdog

How about...

On a day with no wind give it full throttle and let it climb until it gets out of radio range. Once it does, it should go back down to zero throttle and will fall straight back down. As it gets back into range, you should regain control and can re-apply throttle so it doesn't crash into the ground. I just haven't figure out yet how to tell how high you got before you got out of range, but it would sure be a thrill wondering if you were going to regain control and have enough power to stop it before it hit the ground!

Or you could try the less risky:
Turn on heli and TX. Have wife or friend hold heli by skids. Establish mobile phone link between you and heli holder. Get in car with TX and drive .5 km. Try to move servos, or even from 500 meters you could still see it and probably fly it if they set it down). If it works, get back in car and drive further until you can no longer control it. They should hold it carefully (i.e. be clear of the blades) and be ready to disconnect the battery, as when you get out of range it will be more susceptible to interference and possibly running up in power.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:25 AM
pgroom_68

Thanks man. I guess I'll be trying the second option tomorrow as I have to look after my son all day! I would try the first one, but I don't know if I would be able to regain control and land with just standard Esky battery (I think it is faulty).
Old 01-19-2009, 10:33 AM
MsDarla

You are safe as long as its within 5 within minutes,My heli almost kept going when the battery was low the wind kept taking it further away across the yard 200ft.
I ran closer to it to get control of it and land the heli.

Consider the higher you go the more chance it can have interference from various devices.

Spektrum radio would be nice.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:49 AM
EricOnTheWeb

ORIGINAL: downunderdog

Or you could try the less risky:
Turn on heli and TX. Have wife hold heli by skids.
Wow.... Us guys are truly children aren't we. lol.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:06 PM
tkeeg

Big Lama’s 1st Outside Flight Report:
Well, I finally got a chance to get my first outside flight today. It is the first day since I got the Big Lama that there was almost no wind. The temperature was 29 degrees and the wind was between 0 and 3 mph with a very light snow falling. I must say the Big Lama flew like a dream and looked even better than a dream flying through the air. It hovered great, had quick forward flight and was very maneuverable.
Ms. Darla had warned me to be careful on making turns that are too fast and too tight, well she was absolutely right. At an altitude of about 15 feet I made too sharp of a turn going too fast and the blades just folded up and she fell right out of the sky. There was no blade strike from what I could tell, and I’m not sure what made the blades fold up, maybe just too much inertia from the turn. Fortunately there was no damage other than 1 broken blade.
Other than that I incident, I had several GREAT flights, but I kept my turns slow and wide. I must say however that when the wind rose to 3 mph, you can see that it was affecting the flight and causing the helicopter to drift a bit. Fortunately the Big Lama had more than enough power to go against this 3 mph wind, but still being new to helicopters, I would not want to fly this helicopter in wind much more than 5 mph.
Bottom line is, I am thrilled with the Big Lama and for me it is worth every penny !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.