Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Old School Dumas Scarab Resto

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Old School Dumas Scarab Resto

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 03:11 PM
FlogginHarvey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Old School Dumas Scarab Resto

i am happy to report the Dumas Scarab is ALIVE!!! I ran her last night for the first time....in my haste to get it wet I forgot my camera but I am hoping to go out again tonight and try it again.

I ran great considering the carb is all jacked up and I could not gett eh high-speed needle to tune in...kept running lean and killing it in te middle of the pond. I am going to swap it for a 257 carb and see what happens!

It was so cool to see it running...finally!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89076.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	1236905  
Old 07-15-2009, 08:22 PM
darindotson

Awesome man- shoot some more pics- and a video to boot! My build is stalled due to family holidays and traveling, but should pick up in a week or so. I'll bring the thread back up to the top!

Congratulations on a fine build, and thanks again for all the tips!

Darin
Old 07-15-2009, 11:35 PM
twoolley08
My Feedback: (4)

Such a great picture, if it was zoomed in a little more I would think its the real thing! I love that boat and paint job its awesome! Great work!
Old 07-16-2009, 09:30 AM
FlogginHarvey

Thanks guys!!! It is fun to actually see it in the water...let alone running. My wife was unsure it even ran!

I swapped the carb on it last night to a 257 and that seemed to solve most of the issues. I still have some tuning to do but what a change in performance...that carb must have been wither dirty or in need a rebuild something awful.

She took the cam to work so not sure if she will get it downloaded (no vid as she could not figure that part out on the camera)...i will post tomorrow if not today! I am guessing at speeds in the mid-upper 30's now at roughly 80-85% throttle. It is SUPER stable runner and seems to be running nice and flat. No porpois, no chine walk, no hooking!!!!!
Old 07-17-2009, 12:52 PM
FlogginHarvey

Here are some pix
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12907.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	1238252   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zv67060.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	1238253   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze86647.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	1238254  
Old 07-17-2009, 02:01 PM
twoolley08
My Feedback: (4)

looks absolutely beautiful, you did an amazing job!
Old 07-17-2009, 02:08 PM
FlogginHarvey

THANKS!!! And Sickmodelpowerboats did the same on the paint!!!
Old 07-26-2009, 05:17 PM
FlogginHarvey

finally!!! Some video footage. It is a bit short, but IT's ALIVE!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtSKPgVlkpc

This the 6518-3....still have some props to test and play with!!! and a New RCMK...hee hee hee
Old 07-27-2009, 02:33 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks great on the water,not quite getting on the pipe yet.With the water been so flat shes running a tad wet, not quite reving out yet but once you get some chop on the water im sure she will wake up more.Nice job
Mart
Old 07-27-2009, 09:05 AM
FlogginHarvey

ORIGINAL: martno1fan

Looks great on the water,not quite getting on the pipe yet.With the water been so flat shes running a tad wet, not quite reving out yet but once you get some chop on the water im sure she will wake up more.Nice job
Mart

That is what I am hoping!!!???
Old 07-27-2009, 09:22 AM
martno1fan

I think the old scarab prefers rough water to flat calm?,i know my stepped vee is the same its not the fastest on calm water but a little chop wakes her up niceley.When i was testing one the other week with a weedy motor she was running very wet but the wind picked up and she gained arround 5 mph so i reckon you could gain even more.Love the scale look of your boat she looks very nice mate.
Mart
Old 07-27-2009, 09:57 AM
FlogginHarvey

Thanks MArt! It has been a fun build so far and taught me a TON!!!!
Old 07-27-2009, 11:43 AM
martno1fan

ORIGINAL: FlogginHarvey

Thanks MArt! It has been a fun build so far and taught me a TON!!!!
Nothing like building yourself to learn, its the only way in my book.Not only will you learn a lot you will get so much more pleasure knowing you did it yourself.Every build i do i learn something new,lateley its all i seem to do is build .I dont seem to be able to find time for running my own boats,just when i thought i had a few days spare from building hulls the missus has got me decorating []
Mart
Old 07-27-2009, 08:25 PM
darindotson

Nice video Floggin! She looks beautiful on the water. I will be getting into my build very soon, just Fleabaying some items to come up with cash for the build. Looks awesome!!

Darin
Old 07-29-2009, 10:33 AM
FlogginHarvey

Thanks boys!!!

Took her last night JUST before a storm blew in (actually finshed with me putting a puddle of water in my drivers seat of the truck! I was litterally DRIPPING wet!

I ran a 7018-2 propshop on it and it picked up a touch more. Still flat calm water!!! I think that will help too, Mart. I HOPE!

Anyways, learning a little more. I should have mounted my drive up another 1-3mm from the keel as it is a big, heavy, supper deep vee. In the turns with the two-blade I guess it helped get it ventilated a bit more and actually SPEAD UP in RPMS noticably...I actaully spun it out the first hard, full throttle turn!!!!!

I bought the motor used and I am thinking the coil is getting a touch tired....I have a new RCMK S254 EVO (with a new cylinder design) on its way that DYNOS at just over 5hp out of the box!!! I want to find a smaller two blade prop to see if I can wake it up one more notch!!!

So much for a semi-budget build...
Old 08-17-2009, 08:53 AM
FlogginHarvey

The new RCMK S254 EVO will be here this week!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-26-2009, 09:03 AM
FlogginHarvey

Holy horsepower batman!!!

I installed the S254 EVO in that old school dinosaur and HOLY MOLEY!!!!! It will EASILY spin up the 6518-3 and increased roughly 8-10MPH and I was taking it VERY easy on the motor for the first couple of tanks. I did not get any video as it was just a few minutes after my wie cancelled a "thing" last minute...

The money spent on the newer powerplant was MONEY WELL SPENT in my book. I cannot believe the difference in power and throttle response.

WOW!

Pictures and Video to some later this week as weather and schedule permit...
Old 09-02-2009, 09:24 AM
FlogginHarvey

HOLY MOLY!!! Here is some new sickmodelpowerboats (Nick and Tony) and I took on Monday afternoon at a lake we thought we would try...little bit bigger than the one behind the house...if we don't upset anyone (with a very loud boat exhaust on a WHH with a stock Zen hee hee hee) then this will be an awesome place to run.

Anyway...enjoy the video...I just cannot believe a Dumas Scarab THIS HEAVY is actually chine walking!!! It is CRAZY! You could say it is very fun to watch this thing run as well as it is. Very satisfying!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DCtZNWtIPc
Old 09-02-2009, 09:44 AM
martno1fan

Nice run mate looks good on the water too,im glad your having fun .Wish i had a lake as nice as that to run in your very lucky.
mart
Old 09-02-2009, 11:24 AM
FlogginHarvey

Thanks Mart! We are very lucky in a lot of things around here for sure! The lakes are a nice plus. I did not even know this one was here until the day we ran!!! It was less than 1 mile from my house...crazy.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:21 PM
FlogginHarvey

Just got around to weighing the whole thing and comparing to a my Rico Offshore Classic...holy flying pig batman!

Dumas Scarab without fuel: 24.2 pounds

Rico Offshore without fuel: 17.0 pounds

Wow! what a difference bewteen the two. The stringer install lamination made ALL the difference. YIKES!

EDIT: Oh and a side note: we are no longer able to run on the little interior lakes. the property owners' association said it is a strictly NO GAS lake...yeah
Old 11-08-2009, 05:44 PM
showme

Wow! My first gas boat was a dumas scarab like this build.I changed it over from a OS 9.0 to a homelite and went with a surface drive.It's howI got hooked on gas.It actually handled Lake-O pretty well.(We are up at the 42 mi mark though!)A friend of mine has it now in Camdenton.
Nice build!Thanks for sharing it!
Showme.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:45 PM
FlogginHarvey

ORIGINAL: showme

Wow! My first gas boat was a dumas scarab like this build.I changed it over from a OS 9.0 to a homelite and went with a surface drive.It's how I got hooked on gas.It actually handled Lake-O pretty well.(We are up at the 42 mi mark though!)A friend of mine has it now in Camdenton.
Nice build!Thanks for sharing it!
Showme.

VERY cool! thanks for looking. If you or your friend are ever looking for some one to run with or whatever, please feel free to pop an e-mail. We have a few guys into RC Gas boats in the area...What are you running now???

Working on another Scarab, this one with SpoeedMaster Hardware and an RCMK EVO for my wife in the KAAMA paint scheme after Betty Cook. My wife thought the girl-team theme was fun!
Old 11-11-2009, 04:49 PM
showme

ORIGINAL: FlogginHarvey

VERY cool! thanks for looking. If you or your friend are ever looking for some one to run with or whatever, please feel free to pop an e-mail. We have a few guys into RC Gas boats in the area...What are you running now???

Working on another Scarab, this one with SpoeedMaster Hardware and an RCMK EVO for my wife in the KAAMA paint scheme after Betty Cook. My wife thought the girl-team theme was fun!
Ijust sold a hydro,and I'm currently playin with a modded black jack.We have several guys that run em over here also.Maybey next season we could get em together!(not sure what I'll have by then.)
Showme.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:08 PM
FlogginHarvey

Keep me in the loop when you are down this way. I have a number of boats (as the sickness goes) and there are a few guys sucking every ounce of performance out of their Black Jacks down here now.

There are a couple of us trying to finish (and start) the bigger, scale Mystic twin projects as well as a couple of single Monos and Cats this fall/winter. Many of us work in the boats/marina/docks business...fun, and eclectic, group.

[email protected] = e-mail any time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.