Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Top Flite B-25 ARF (Tecnical, tips, suggestions)

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Top Flite B-25 ARF (Tecnical, tips, suggestions)

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 07:29 PM
timothy thompson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite B-25 ARF (Tecnical, tips, suggestions)

here are more pics
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48060.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	823731   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql32764.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	823732   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47159.jpg
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	823733  
Old 12-11-2007, 08:30 PM
norm

Very well put together this lever system for the bomb bay and looks good...do not understand the purpose of pic 1! Ha Ha Ha!
Old 12-11-2007, 08:43 PM
timothy thompson

you love the axi thats why ill get the radials on give me time
Old 12-12-2007, 06:06 AM
camdyson

So which dummy cylinder do you cut out to cool an Axi?![8D]

Bomb bay looks great Tim - that shroud over the mechanics really tidied it up nice. Did you paint directly onto the wood, or seal it first?

Cam
Old 12-12-2007, 09:28 AM
timothy thompson

thats all styrene plastic i used chalk and pastel to create a worn look. no if I could find some dial cord. I dont lile braided wire for steering cables as they can get caught easy. Dial cord is the stuff they used to use in radios to make tuners work. that shroud is scale though exagggerated a bit

cut all openings out. Norman likes glow so we have fun on here. All that mess yuk and look no holes in my cowl
Old 12-12-2007, 05:19 PM
alans

Well we have some frost here in England so if the ground is hard enough tomorrow it might be time for a maiden flight. Wish me luck !
Old 12-12-2007, 05:27 PM
camdyson

Tally Ho!
Old 12-12-2007, 07:42 PM
timothy thompson

hey everyone a tip. I used dial cord for the steering cables. It is available at radio shops and online in 25 foot rolls for 2 dollars. It has a nylon core and wont hang up on retraction.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:25 PM
krproton

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: alans

Well we have some frost here in England so if the ground is hard enough tomorrow it might be time for a maiden flight. Wish me luck !
Good luck alans! I can't wait to hear how it goes--just make sure you're happy with the way those engines are running. The plane flies like a lazy trainer so flying should be a no-brainer!

Tim
Old 12-13-2007, 12:42 AM
timothy thompson

ORIGINAL: krproton

ORIGINAL: alans

Good luck alans! I can't wait to hear how it goes--just make sure you're happy with the way those engines are running. The plane flies like a lazy trainer so flying should be a no-brainer!

Tim
ill hold ya to that next spring !!!!!!!!!!!!! ha ha
Old 12-13-2007, 12:25 PM
timothy thompson

norman what is you planes final wet wt. i really am considering doing the stock gear door setup as im at 16 lbs without outer wings and lipos. so she will weight a little over 20. electricalc says ill be ok but well see
Old 12-13-2007, 12:47 PM
c550
My Feedback: (16)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Has anyone found a good dummy radial to replace the one that came with the kit. I have found a 9 cylinder that will fit but I am trying to find a 7. Any hints?
Old 12-13-2007, 02:00 PM
krproton

ORIGINAL: timothy thompson

norman what is you planes final wet wt. i really am considering doing the stock gear door setup as im at 16 lbs without outer wings and lipos. so she will weight a little over 20. electricalc says ill be ok but well see
Hi Timothy.

Our finished show/instruction manual model weighs 18.25 lbs. Our weight range as specified on the kit box cover and on the cover of the instruction manual is 17 -- 19lbs. During part of the test flying program, we ballasted one of our previous prototypes (that weighted 17.75lbs) with an additional 1lb to simulate a "heavy" airplane at 18.75lbs. It flew well at that weight and didn't even seem to "know" it was there. But I don't know how much more weight this baby can handle before it starts to adversely affect the way it flies. My educated guess is that you'd probably be fine at 20lbs or maybe a bit over that, but I would really try to keep it close to 20lbs.

I'll ask Greg Hahn to see if he remembers how much his B-25 weighs too--he converted an earlier, leftover prototype to electric and glassed and painted it as well. My guess is that it must have been a bit on the "heavy" side as well. I'll let you know when I find out.

Tim
Old 12-13-2007, 02:13 PM
krproton

This just in...

In reference to my previous post, I just talked to Greg Hahn and he said his TF B-25 ARF weighs in at 21 lbs. ready-to-fly and it's "still a floater."

Keep in mind, Greg is a Top-Gun-level pilot familiar with flying scale models of all types. He probably knows more about modeling and flying a B-25 than anyone. So this isn't license to "get stupid" by adding every accessory and doing every scale modification you can think of without being concerned about weight, but it is comforting to know you have a little cushion here.

Tim
Old 12-13-2007, 02:54 PM
alans

Well it did not happen, the first flight i mean.
It was far to muddy and very cold, I was thinking the frost may be enough to harden the ground.
Will try again this weekend.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:30 PM
timothy thompson

well i will sequence the doors i mean how much can 2 mini servos bellcranks AND A EMS SEQUENCER WEIGH? oh tim i put my front door springs on backward and had to use your hook method. I used an o ring from a faucet repair kit and it works wonderful.
i will be 6s 10,000mah parallel . e calc says easy 8 min! i weighed the plane up to 30 pounds and e calc said no way. 25 and she will barley fly. I think that new version of e callc is very acuurate. i put in 21 lbs and got good performance numbers.
Tim, I fly 1/5 30 pound corsairs so i can handle the weight. I did buy a h-9 just to knock around the sky with and do inverted flight. This plane will be flown scale. wheres my free b-25 for saying you are the best!
Old 12-13-2007, 05:33 PM
norm

Hello Timothy,

The net weight for My B-25 is 21.5 lbs dry. I assume there is approx .75 lbs to add when it is full of fuel and "greassy". The plane carrys its weight very well and as Krproton mentionned it still floats. I got glow drivers, gyro xtra air tank + multiple other gizmos. When flying you must push the stick to bring it down at 1/2 throttle. Do not be fooled by its stability though because it will drop out the air if you do not have enough speed! The flap setting @ 1/2 inch for take off and 1 inch for landing is perfect for a heavy bird . I still have to install the brakes and not worried a bit other than the landing gear capacity to handle the beating when landing on a grass runway. I'll bring that "CG" debate up again...I strongly suggest to balance this plane gear up to avoid any "further" tail heavy behavior.

My B-25 is powered by 2 x Saito 82's and is very powerful for its weight..I climbed +/- 200 feet @ 30-45 degree pitch up before stalling signs. Obviously weight is the ennemy of lift so one must not add it for no reason. My opinion is that you should not have problem flying this B-25 @ 22 +/- 1 lbs with keeping in mind the "cheat rule #1" which is +++add+++ speed to all your manoeuvers.

Anyone visiting Montreal June 21 & 22 2008, there will be (I organize) a "Warbird" fun Fly at my club; www.amidair.qc.ca I can just imagine a B-25 squadron would not go un-noticed and would most probably become a desktop wallpaper for many. (Tim your free B-25 will be at our fun fly should one of the prize to win if the judges deem so)

Normand

Name:	Zw69496.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	824924   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ea84251.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	824925  
Old 12-13-2007, 06:10 PM
timothy thompson

norman i bought a ball driver so ill take the cowls off reinforce the ply ring and add the radials JUST FOR YOU. went to lhs for four 90 deg bellcranks and they didnt have them. its for the door sequencing . i cant use micro servos as they wont hold air loads so im stuck because i dont have 4 stupid cranks. cowls came off easy with the driver and i epoxyed the entire back. Now do I add the complexity of the door sequencers or just use the kits method. with a scale wheel shell be tight in there. i guess ill try it and if it doesnt work i can use the kit way.

remeber mine is e powered so im not having your climb rates. Are you gona 3-D that bird LOL
Old 12-13-2007, 06:52 PM
norm

Tally Ho!...what does it mean...

Etymology

The phrase was first brought to England by William the Conqueror, an avid stag hunter, after the Norman Conquest of 1066. The old Norman phrase was "Tya Hillaut",[citation needed] and was shouted when a deer had been found. The phrase is mentioned in Jaques Du Fouilloux' book on hunting, "La Venerie" (1516), chapter 13: "Du valet de Chiens, et comme il doyt panser, gouverner, et dresser les Chiens". It became the phrase "Tally oh" in England, and is still shouted in fox hunts today.

One book contained a theory that "Tally ho" came from the Palestinian Arabic for "Come here!" (TÄl hum or similar) brought back by returning Crusaders.

In air traffic control
In addition to its use in foxhunting, this expression became commonly used during the Second World War by English-speaking fighter pilots to say that an enemy aircraft has been sighted.

Tally-ho is the squadron motto of 609 (West Riding) Squadron, a famous British World War II fighter squadron. 609 (WR) Sqn RAuxAF still exists today, having been reformed in 1998 at Royal Air Force Station Leeming in North Yorkshire, England, UK.

This phrase has since been used by civilian pilots in response to traffic advisories provided by air traffic controllers. The pilot's response "Tally" or "Tally-ho" tells air traffic controllers that the pilot has seen the air traffic in question. For example:

ATC: "ABC aircraft identifier, traffic at two o'clock, seven miles, a Boeing 737, west-bound, at 4000 feet."

Pilot: "ABC, Tally-ho."

Note that while in common use, this phrase is not in the official FAA Pilot-Controller Glossary.

Coach
A four-in-hand coach, named for the Tally-ho, a coach that once plied between London and Birmingham.

Rolling papers
A brand of self-rolled cigarette papers available in Australia. They are by far the most common brand and as such the phrase 'tally-ho' is synonymous and used interchangeably. eg. "Please Sir. may I have a pouch of ready-rubbed tobacco and a packet of Tally-Ho?"

Playing Cards
Tally-Ho is also a brand of poker-sized playing cards manufactured by the US Playing Card Company.

Square Dancing
Tally-ho is also a square dance call in Modern Western square dance at the C1 (Challenge 1) level .

Music
Tally Ho is a title of the hit single by New Zealand lo-fi rock band The Clean. Tally Ho! is also the title of Wagon Christ's album dated 1998.

Films
Sam Raimi had heroes yell "Tally-Ho!" before jumping in two films: Army of Darkness and Spider-Man. In Matilda, Principal Trunchbull yells the phrase while jumping down from the second floor.

"Tally ho" is the code word in The Great Escape.

TV Shows
On the Class TV show The Prisoner the people in The Village read a newspaper called Tally Ho. This would seem to suggest that this is not a peaceful retirement community but instead more of a fox hunt.

Ship name
HMS Tally-Ho was a British World War II submarine.

You Aussi guys get me searching...

Normand

Old 12-13-2007, 09:20 PM
timothy thompson

well ive got the sequencing working but since i have to jb weld metal rods im not going to have anything to show until tomorrow. its really simple and one stand servo in each nacelle will work. Cowls are off but im doing the doors first! Then the cowls
Old 12-14-2007, 06:37 AM
camdyson

Glad I could help

It's scary what people find time for when the weather's no good for flying - you gotta get those skis on Norm! Startin' to sound like a touch of cabin fever already........

Cam

p.s. 30 degrees here tomorrow - that's CELCIUS - will have to get that sunscreen rubbed in.[8D]
Old 12-14-2007, 10:41 AM
flyingchef
My Feedback: (93)

Just finished to hang the bomb bay doors, like Timothy I used the Nelson brass hinges which were mounted on a laminated plate before glued to the plane. This helped to get a nice fit, a futaba 3002 provide the power to the mechanism, the servo was mounted from the bay in a way that only the arm is on the bay side. next is the detailing which will be made of mostly styrene and G10.
Bruno

Name:	Ca82674.jpg
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	825445   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38394.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	825446   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch95924.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	825447   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64460.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	825448  
Old 12-14-2007, 11:39 AM
timothy thompson

hey nice work chief detail the crap out of her now
Old 12-15-2007, 03:48 AM
Jon Wise

timothy & flyingchef, when you cut the bomb bay doors out of your planes did you notice if the formers were straight in the fuse? I cut the bottom out of mine tonight. The formers measure 3/8" difference from top to bottom. I only cut out between the 2 formers that are next to the wing rotation pins. The bay will be about 2 1/2inches short but thats fine. Don't plan on entering contests with it just want to drop candy for the kids. I will enclose the bay in the next week or so. I have to work slow due to an ankle surgery I had a few weeks ago. I'm not able to stand more than a few minutes at a time. Later Jon
Old 12-15-2007, 12:27 PM
timothy thompson

mine were off alittle but i fixed them. ill add our weather report up to 18 inches ! we will get flurries

well theya re sticking to the big snow forcast! ill got to lhs for a y harness i am working on the other nacelle sequencing and god why does jb weld take all day to set? IT STRONG SO ILL BE OK. i thnk ill use the kit wheels as 300 would go a long way towards the wingspan b-17. My cam has a video setting and a can watch it is there anyway to use the sim card and show you guys the door sequencer. pics wont do it justice

NORMAN THE FAKE RADIALS ARE ALMOST DONE IM GOING TO POWER UP THE AXIS TO MAKE SURE THEY ROTATE CORRECT THEN SHRINK TUBE ALL CONNECTIONS AND PUT THE RADIALS ON. SORRY I HAD TO CUT A LOT OUT OF THE CENTER FOR THE ROTATING CAN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.