Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 04:20 PM
J-MICHAEL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: are these blades any good for cp pro?

Glenn ~

Yeah converting from VHS would be to much a pain.... I was curious on watching the nitro scene you were into. I've always been curious with the nitro heli's, just a little leary on what to expect, and if tuning and maintaining the engine was a pain or not I suppose. I've picked up the Trex 700 at the LHS and have been tempted, but knowing pretty much nothing about em' it's more of a dream than a reality I guess...Lol..

I'am guessing ya prefer the electrics over the nitro, or you would probally have a nitro laying around ? I do like the cleanliness, and quiteness of the electrics....

Good to see ya all tinkerin' with the CPP's....

~ Jeff
Old 08-31-2008, 07:40 PM
HeliStyle
My Feedback: (2)

I put some ca on the prop and it seems to hold on alot better, was hovering it in my kitchen for awhile without the training gear, big difference without them on
Old 08-31-2008, 08:44 PM
rotarydoc

Hey Jeff.

Don't worry, you are not missing anything on the video. About all I could do with mine is hover it tail in. Without the internet, forums, simulator, and any assistance, progress was very slow and limited. I never got much past that stage with it, was terrified to crash it, and finally ended up selling it.

The big plus with nitro, of course, is the flight times. I had 2 receiver packs, so I could basically fly for 2 hours at a time. Ya just bring 'er back in, refuel, and you're back out flying again! The mess is horrible. Oily, nasty mess on everything. It used to take me quite some time to clean it up...not only the oily stuff, but all the dirt, dust, grass, etc that sticks to the oily mess. I don't miss that part of it!

As for the engine tuning, etc. it was not really a big deal as I remember. The carbs that they use on helis are pretty good, and don't require too much tinkering around. I remember having to richen up the mixture a tad as the temperature dropped in the evenings, due to the increased air density. It was no biggie, just a couple of clicks on the mixture screws.

I honestly don't know if I'd ever go back to nitro. I do LOVE the smell of the fuel burning, reminds me of my first COX .049 gas powered buggy when I was a kid. Or, 2 stroke dirt bikes too. Very cool smell. But the mess is really a bummer. Plus, you have more restrictions on where you can (get away with) flying it. Plus, lots more support equipment to lug around with you. And the expense. True, no more batteries, except receiver packs, but the fuel is not inexpensive either.

Like I said, never say never, but I don't see a nitro in my immediate future, anyways!

Glenn
Old 08-31-2008, 09:00 PM
J-MICHAEL

Glenn ~

Thanks for that info... I've been always wondering for the longest time, and I do hear different responses but they don't mean to much cause I don't really know the pilot who speaks. At least with you, I've read my fair share of your inputs on this thread, and at least know ya somewhat to come to a conclusion about the nitro.

Man, I just took out my Trex and its been a good while since I've fired up a heli, and I forgot how nerve racking it is...Lol.. My hands are sweaty, and I feel like puking ! LMAO.... I'am still in plank mode, because when I took off with the Trex, I launched it too quick and aggressive and shot it into forward flight and forgot how touchy the heli's are compared to the planes ! Yikes... I know your not to much of a fan of the planes, but they are fun ! But my heart will always rest in the heli's....

Take care guy,

~ Jeff

Oh..... Heli ~ A big diff with the gear off huh ?! I remember when I did the CPP looked funny and naked to me, because I was so used to seeing the gear on...Lol.. Just pretend it's still there, so subconciously it won't interfere with your flying until ya get used to it after a few packs. Cooler running machine now with the weight loss, and much more in control as I remember....

Old 08-31-2008, 09:10 PM
HeliStyle

lol yeah it deff does feel naked without it, Im taking it a bit easy with it for the first few packs, I think if its nice tommorrw I might go out to the field and fly
Old 08-31-2008, 09:13 PM
J-MICHAEL

Heli ~

Yeah great ! I'am trying to convince my dad to take his training gear of his CPP.... It really does make a great difference. Believe it or not, you'll be used to it after only about 4-5 packs I bet....

~ Jeff
Old 08-31-2008, 09:15 PM
rotarydoc

Hey Heli,

Yeah, the CA did the trick for me too, I just wonder how it will be to get off when the tail rotor breaks.

Good to hear that you are doing OK so far with the training gear off, I remember my first time, and it was kinda tough, and challenging, for sure.

Hope you get some time to fly tomorrow.

Glenn
Old 08-31-2008, 09:49 PM
J-MICHAEL

Another option that I use in that case is two-part epoxy....Strong, but you can still break it to free it. The CA sometimes can be a booger to release. I use the epoxy for instance securing my boom on my CPP to the frame.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:57 AM
HeliStyle

yeah I used ca to reattach my tail boom on the cp pro, I bet when I have to replace it though, im going to have to get a whole new main frame.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:52 AM
J-MICHAEL

Heli ~

Well hopefully you'll get lucky and be able to free it. My 2nd CPP I got from a friend in a crumpled mess, and he CA'd his boom to the frame also and as I was going through and restoring it with new parts, I had to replace the boom and for the life of me I couldn't break it free from the frame...Lol.. That stuff is remarkably strong ! I finally just got a new frame for it.

Have a good one,

~ Jeff
Old 09-01-2008, 10:26 AM
HeliStyle

yeah, ill prob just buy a whole new main frame, and aren't to expensive and it would be less of a hassle
Old 09-01-2008, 11:01 AM
evdreamer

Glenn,

Man you guys wrote a novel. Anyways I don't know how many people would want that fan controller, but if people want one and it works fine I could sell them. Yeah I had a good time with my relatives. To bad you couldn't find the promo video of the GMP Cobra.

Helistyle,

I don't use any kind of adhesive on the tail blades. I just used a vise to put it on as far as I could and 30 some flights later it is still on there.

Nick
Old 09-01-2008, 11:15 AM
evdreamer

ORIGINAL: J-MICHAEL

Nick ~

Wow, yeah the super-cub's are suppose to be excellent fliers... I've been clearing up top where ya saw the video above. It's nice, but also there's a good 500' drop at least off the sides of that little plateau. If ya crash, you might as well tuck your TX antenna back in and head home, because the brush is major thick and the sides are steep and the drop is intense...Lol.. Now I need to get the Trex back up there, but I don't cruise out to far out of bounds because of the terrain. I've just started learning with the planks, so that when it's to windy for my beloved heli's, I can still take up a plane in the skies.

I don't think you need to much room for the cub, maybe there's a park nearby that you can try it out. There suppose to be great trainers, and set at a slower pace for learning also. I still want one someday, but then again I want everything. Part of the addiciton speaking I suppose.... I still want Glenn's Gaui also.
Jeff,

I tried flying at two different baseball fields and the first time I ran it into a fence. Then I flew it into a tree. Then the last time I flew I almost flew it into a light pole. I then went up to my local flying field and buddy boxed on a Hangar9 Alpha 40. The instructor took off and landed for me, but I flew the rest of the time. It was actually easier to fly than my super cub. The cub doesn't react right away and doesn't turn very quick. And I was flying the Alpha 40 just like my helicopters except for the rudder and I left the throttle at full throttle. And I was doing loops and rolls on my first flight with it. I really liked the flight times on the Alpha 40 compared to my electrics. Then I just was flying until it ran out of Nitro and the instructor glided it in for a landing.

Yeah Glenn's Gaui is a nice helicopter. It looks like a small T-Rex.

Nick
Old 09-01-2008, 12:20 PM
rotarydoc

Nick,

Yeah, there might not be alot of demand for that controller, maybe in the very hot states where heat is a real problem, or like Crusader in Iraq. I can't imagine trying to fly in Arizona, where my dad lives, it gets to 110-115 in the shade on a regular basis.

Well, I got a chance to sit down and watch the vintage home movies of the GMP Cobra. Talk about boring! The only cool thing was to try to remeber the technical details of the heli itself, the flying was nothing special, that's for sure. I did find it interesting that I was using the "european style" of flying back in those days, that is, a very large transmitter tray, and a pincher grip on the sticks. I read recently that the guy who won the XFC competition is from Europe somewhere, and that is what he was using.

The helis (my buddy had one too) are HUGE compared to what I am used to. I couldn't make out too many details, except that I believe that the tail was shaft driven, and the rotor head was aluminum. The width between the landing skids in one shot was as wide as my foot is long!

The engines seemed very reliable, as I recall, and after one refueling, it fired right up, with just a bump of the starter on the cone.

It was interesting from a technical aspect, but the flying leaves alot to be desired. I wish I could go back in time, I'll bet I could fly that thing pretty darn well now, with a few practice tanks of fuel !! Better yet, I wish I still had it! It would be good to take to some helicopter meets and enter it in the vintage class....but I'll bet parts are impossible to find, probably have to custom make stuff for it.

Glenn
Old 09-01-2008, 12:38 PM
rotarydoc

Hey Jeff,

I missed that post earlier about wanting my Gaui..LOL Go ahead and break out that credit card, you only go around once, you know!! LOL

Nah, just joking, but it is a very cool little heli. It's the only heli I have that everytime I look at it, I can appreciate how cool it is. Something about having a fully aerobatic heli in that small a package. And just the "coolness" of the CNC stuff and the CF parts.

I'll say this about it...as you already know, if you get one, just be ready to be on your toes when you fly it! I still love mine, but at this stage of my pilot experience it's about a 50/50 shot of it coming back in one piece, compared to about an 80% probability that the B400 will come back in one piece. Things just happen VERY fast with this little guy. When something goes wrong, it's over before you even know what happened! The CPP falls somewhere in between in the "survival statistics"..LOL

I got some "OFF" last night. It didn't say "with DEETS", but it is some high potency "deep woods" variety. Cost $4....a very small investment compared to a crashed heli due to swatting a biting bug away! LOL

Have a great time flying the helis AND planes!

Glenn
Old 09-01-2008, 12:50 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

I couldn't imagine living in Arizona. I complain when it gets into the upper 80's. But it is probably nice there in the winter.

It sounds like that GMP was a cool helicopter. It sounds like they made the engine pretty good. I have heard that the older engines weren't that reliable, so they must have had some good engineers there. It is amazing at how the new RTF helicopters have made it so easy for people to get in the hobby and progress. I read somewhere that there is a huge boom of people learning to fly helicopters in the last couple of years because of the new helicopters.

I liked your idea of survival statistics.

Hope everyone is having a good holiday weekend.

Nick
Old 09-01-2008, 05:20 PM
rotarydoc

Hey Nick,

Well, I couldn't find the promo video, so I dug this up online for you to check out;

http://www.1017.org/cricket/GMP86Catalog.pdf

I found it very interesting, and brought back some of the assembly memories. These came as a kit only, the only thing already built was the rotor head.

The engine was purchased separately, I got an Enya SS50, and my buddy had an O.S. .46. I remember his engine ran better and seemed to have more power than mine, even though it was smaller. It's hard to beat OS for nitro engines.

Pretty interesting, if you go down far enough, to the competition area of the brochure, you will see Curtis Youngblood back in the day! Gee, he's been at it a while, eh? LOL!

In a way, those old helis seem antique, but in alot of ways, they haven't changed all that much, really, lots of familiar things on them.

I am getting ready to go fly. I'll need the OFF for the bugs.

Enjoy the link to the GMP piece of RC heli history!

Glenn
Old 09-01-2008, 05:24 PM
rotarydoc

Nick,

All this time I was thinking that the Cobra was a .60 size heli, but it's more like a .46 to .50 size.

The rotor span was 48 inches, or 4 feet.

The engine I had in mine is here;

http://www.rcuniverse.com/product_gu...?engine_id=189

It didn't get very good ratings, like I said, I actually liked my buddy's O.S. .46 better than my .50 size engine.

Oh well that's it from the "good ole days" LOL!!

Let me go see how I do flying, take care...

Glenn
Old 09-01-2008, 05:50 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

That was cool looking at that brochure. I wonder how long it took Curtis to become a pro pilot. It is still a big helicopter compared to the stuff I fly.

I took my E-Sky 25A ESC apart and I was trying to reverse engineer it, but I couldn't find the chips on the internet to see what they were. Oh well it was still interesting. I would put some pictures of it up, but I don't know if I could get in trouble for that.

Have fun flying. It is too windy to fly here.

Nick
Old 09-01-2008, 07:39 PM
rotarydoc

Hey Nick,

I thought you might enjoy the old GMP brochure, I know I enjoyed looking at it. I was surprised to see Curtis in there, that long ago. Yeah, it's big compared to a B400 or a T-Rex 450, that is for sure. Not as big as the guys at the field with their T-Rex 600's.

I had a good flying session, for the most part...the OFF worked great, no bug bites this time out!

My prediction held true;

Flight time B400....3 battery packs

Flight time Gaui 200....3 minutes

There was a sight, but steady breeze from my right and behind...it seemed to carry the Gaui away a bit, and before you know it, you can't make heads or tails of it, and I basically set it down in the grass. Not much damage, a see saw arm, and blade grip screws. I'll have to keep in in closer next time, I guess. Once it gets about 100 feet away, I lose orientation and it doesn't take long for it to get that far away. It seems to have a mind of it's own sometimes.

I made up for it with the B400, got some great pracice with turns and circles, leading up to a few figure 8's in the opposite direction. I am close to being able to actually do opposite figure 8's, but the counterclockwise turns/circles to my left still give me problems, but not as much as they used to.

I had a good time, and gained a bit more confidence. I even flew a little bit backwards, but I don't feel to comfortable with that yet. I did do some nose in hovering for a few minutes at a time to brush up.

Hope you can fly some soon, and have a great week at school and work.

Glenn
Old 09-01-2008, 08:08 PM
HeliStyle

yeah I had no time to fly the cp pro today, it was nice out but kinda windy, been practiing alot on my small heli, nose in and turns and such, hopefully tommorrw after work ill get some flight time in. Glenn do you still have two blade 400's?
Old 09-01-2008, 08:37 PM
rotarydoc

Hey Heli,

Glad to hear that you got some practice in with the Walkera, and it is helping you with some nose in and turns.

Yeah, probably not a great idea to try the CPP with no training gear and wind, might be a bad combination...LOL

One or the other at a time might be OK, but both at once might be pushing it a bit.

Yep, still got my spare Blade 400. Sometimes I wonder why I even got it, it honestly is just collecting dust for the most part. I haven't flown it except for about 3 test flights, to make sure everything is good with it.

I don't know what my long range plans are for it, and I also have a spare DX6i as well.

My original plan was to have it for spare parts, and as an example in case of a major crash (which is still a good idea). I got it when some of the B400 parts were very scarce, and I was worried that I wouldn't be able to fly it because of parts inavailability.

It flies very well, but I can notice the difference in the stock servos vs. the JR servos I have in my main B400.

I should take it flying again soon, I hate to see it just sit there. But, on the other hand, some of the beauty of it, is that is has never been crashed, the blades have only touched air...still have the factory tracking tape on them.

Hope you can fly tomorrow with the CPP some.

Glenn
Old 09-01-2008, 08:43 PM
HeliStyle

u looking to maybe get rid of the blade 400 or dx6i?
Old 09-01-2008, 09:02 PM
rotarydoc

Heli,

LOL, I kinda figured that was coming... let me think about it, I don't know.

I will consider it, but right now, I am not sure.

I am leaning towards keeping it, as I probably wouldn't want to take much less than I paid for it. But, I'll let you know, and I'll keep you in mind if I do decide to go that route.

I probably wouldn't miss it too much now, but if/when I try to get into inverted flight, it might come in handy...LOL, so I gotta think about the future.

The guy I got this one from on eBay has really great deals, and is a good guy to deal with, if you want to, I can give you his member name.

LOL, he's pretty patient too, when I got this one, it went from a bare airframe, to airframe with motor, then airframe with motor and ESC, and so on, until I just ended up buying it complete, less batteries, RX, and charger.

Glenn
Old 09-02-2008, 04:14 AM
HeliStyle

yeah sure, whats his name so I can see if hes selling anything on ebay

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.