Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Wheeeeeeee.......... Blade CP!

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Wheeeeeeee.......... Blade CP!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 05:37 PM
J-MICHAEL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Wheeeeeeee.......... Blade CP!

Well last night I started to finally unwrap some of the plastic bags containing the components for the 500... I'am 8-9 days away from starting to build it... I still have to wait for one more order this Friday for some more upgrades that I want for it. Yesterday, I did pick up the Torque-Tube conversion kit for it however, so that will be interesting since all I really know is the belt version of the heli's... The new and improved Trex 500 ESP, and the new and improved Trex 600 ESP's only come with the TT kits... Soon, if not already, they will have one available for the 450 Rex's...

The Torque-Tube's (Shaft-Drive's) are nice because they eliminate any ESD or static electricity that belts can generate during flight. The TT's also don't get effected by any drastic diffs in temperature like very cold, or very hot conditions which changes and can effect belt-driven heli's... Years prior, some heli's only had and offered the shaft drives, until the belts came along to replace them for better performance, but now with todays technology things have changed again and now the TT's are improved drastically because of new materials, techniques, knowledge, & the machinery that makes the components etc. etc...

Belts around pulleys takes more energy than what a TT can offer... The TT's offer an increase of power due to the slightly greater effeciency and resulting in the extra bit of "Pop" Which is desired for better tail control and favored by many 3-D pilots... Although the TT's cost slightly more, the reward in the long run is worth it as they also do auto-rotate better and just smoother with less friction even though there is more moving parts with the TT's..

It will be a interesting test to say the least... I may even just start with the belt kit that came with my 500 and then switch over to the Torque-Tube, so that I can note the differences, which I hear is tremendous...They are more designed around the more advanced fliers though, as you can blow out the beveled gears pretty easy by just minor blade strikes, where the belts offer much more forgiveness for the beginner pilot at hand... Why they don't use a better material for the gears like Karbonite instead of the plastic still has me wondering... Maybe job security eh ?! Come back for more parts so to speak...?!

The kit I got a good deal on at the LHS here in California, at it was only $69.00, and everywhere else on-line they are asking about $80.00 for the kit... My LHS here is great for prices I've noticed... Even my programmable HS-5245 digital MG servos for the 500 were only $39.00 a piece, where everywhere else on-line they wanted $49.00 a piece for them... I've been very pleased with them, and will miss the shop when I go back home to my small town... But at least there is a new LHS there ! So there's two there now, and even another 3rd one 20 minutes away... 2 of the shops are about 4 minutes away...[8D]

Cheers,

~ Jeff

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46298.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	1068907   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27538.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	1068908  
Old 11-09-2008, 06:44 PM
Wnuk

ORIGINAL: Barrrick

REPORT FROM Rick; that old one in the South, home of IKE, Allison and Alice [>:]

a great day today, with a big EVENT : (for me at least ! ) went to the RC field and actually flew a plane R/C and a heli R/C in the same day , for the first time !
(but not SIMULTANEOUSLY ! ) ha !
... sequentially..... ...... [ sheeesh I even "bore myself" ...]

I meant to tape, but with the CamCorder stuck with a strange problem, couldn't do that.
It's another PERFECT DAY here in Houston. Wind @ 5 to 10, 74F, 2 small clouds in the sky. 5 people total out at the field, nobody with planes, just me.
got the Xpert to start and check the RAPTOR for me. Then flew two tanks, in the wind. Great performance. The plane (a Trainer to be used for a friend, flies so well indeed
that I made the whole "old timer" B Pattern Aerobatics, with it...... howzat for a HOBBICO trainer plane ? it even does 4 and 8 point rolls and they look pretty darn good.

REPORT FOR JEREMY LOOK : the Panasonic tapes were taken back by FRY's. they admitted that they came DEFECTIVE from the factory. They even opened one more at the store
and the "slider" was not there, just the hole.
However : purchased a DYMEX head cleaner in BestBuy, the hole is closed, so I paid for it......put it in the 'corder and the sign CHECK REC TAB '''STILL COMES ON """ and stops
the machine from working. Run out of ideas so run a PANASONIC site, and wrote them a report about this situation ( they're in Chicago, so the response should come in two days.}
it may wind up that the 'corder has to go up to Chicago....

On FRIDAY 14th. ( next Friday) I hop on Continental to go to Buenos Aires, spend 10 days with my daughter. The one that was here for 3 weeks just now. Friday the boss calls me
in and tells me I have 5 days PTO, and must either take them of get paid for them. So I take them. So I will miss the group, and will probably "lurk" from a long distance. If their
'puter works I may even post SALUTATIONS & GREETINGS.

It's getting RIDICULOUS here in Houston. The stores are "today" completely SET UP FOR CHRISTMAS. My poor wife would have had a fit because she used to say : "one day" they
will start setting up for XMas even before T'giving ! WELL FOLKS, it just happened and she was right.
Next year it'll happen before HALLOWEEN
in four years the XMAS SEASON will open up on the 5th. of JULY..(never under-estimate the power of GREED, everybody so scared that nobody will be buying anything, HA)
the stores are FULL of people buying everything. they should worry

say GOODNIGHT, Dick.............goodnightdick.......[X(]
Sounds like you had one fabulous day there Rick. Wish they weather was as good here! It's great to hear you are going to visit your daughter. I'm sure your granddaughter can't wait! You're right about the Christmas stuff too. I wish the holiday wasn't as commercialized as it is. Seems each year stores put their holiday stuff out earlier & earlier. Won't be long before they just leave it out all year round[]

Later BOB's, got some "honey do" chores to catch up on.

Jim
Old 11-09-2008, 09:14 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Hi Guys, I don't think I'm radioactive anymore. And both Badius threads, here and ours are perking along nicely. Jeff, thanks again for your kind post following the explosion. It's good to see that the BOB's are still having fun. The CPP is ready to go, but I am reluctant to bring it out right now as flight time is so very precious this time of year. I came terribly close to buying an MCX on Saturday. How close you ask? Well I nearly turned the truck around and headed back to the LHS. Then I thought of the micro cherokee and kept driving. I have since noted that PZ is known for outragiously exagerating the availability of new product. A 4 channel micro is very desirable, but if I learn to fly the MCX I'm a leg up on the CPP. And I'll have the controller for a bnf Vapor. Did I mention that I took tomorrow off? USMC B-day/Vets Day/ get over the election day off. As Dennis Hopper used to say in the ads, "footsteps, I feel the footsteps".

Had I retired the bug when I left? I have. Was I flying the swift2 wing at the house? I am. I think I am going to get the BSD upgrade pack for my micro-cessna. He should have one for the Vapor as well. Here's a video of one of my latest planes, an MSComposit Unique. http://www.badiusownersclub.com/vide...flight%201.wmv A friend sent me the small Ultimate as well. That is a very short video.

I'm glad to see that all seems well here.

Tim
Old 11-10-2008, 05:28 PM
Oracus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: J-MICHAEL

Well last night I started to finally unwrap some of the plastic bags containing the components for the 500... I'am 8-9 days away from starting to build it... I still have to wait for one more order this Friday for some more upgrades that I want for it. Yesterday, I did pick up the Torque-Tube conversion kit for it however, so that will be interesting since all I really know is the belt version of the heli's... The new and improved Trex 500 ESP, and the new and improved Trex 600 ESP's only come with the TT kits... Soon, if not already, they will have one available for the 450 Rex's...

The Torque-Tube's (Shaft-Drive's) are nice because they eliminate any ESD or static electricity that belts can generate during flight. The TT's also don't get effected by any drastic diffs in temperature like very cold, or very hot conditions which changes and can effect belt-driven heli's... Years prior, some heli's only had and offered the shaft drives, until the belts came along to replace them for better performance, but now with todays technology things have changed again and now the TT's are improved drastically because of new materials, techniques, knowledge, & the machinery that makes the components etc. etc...

Belts around pulleys takes more energy than what a TT can offer... The TT's offer an increase of power due to the slightly greater effeciency and resulting in the extra bit of "Pop" Which is desired for better tail control and favored by many 3-D pilots... Although the TT's cost slightly more, the reward in the long run is worth it as they also do auto-rotate better and just smoother with less friction even though there is more moving parts with the TT's..

It will be a interesting test to say the least... I may even just start with the belt kit that came with my 500 and then switch over to the Torque-Tube, so that I can note the differences, which I hear is tremendous...They are more designed around the more advanced fliers though, as you can blow out the beveled gears pretty easy by just minor blade strikes, where the belts offer much more forgiveness for the beginner pilot at hand... Why they don't use a better material for the gears like Karbonite instead of the plastic still has me wondering... Maybe job security eh ?! Come back for more parts so to speak...?!

The kit I got a good deal on at the LHS here in California, at it was only $69.00, and everywhere else on-line they are asking about $80.00 for the kit... My LHS here is great for prices I've noticed... Even my programmable HS-5245 digital MG servos for the 500 were only $39.00 a piece, where everywhere else on-line they wanted $49.00 a piece for them... I've been very pleased with them, and will miss the shop when I go back home to my small town... But at least there is a new LHS there ! So there's two there now, and even another 3rd one 20 minutes away... 2 of the shops are about 4 minutes away...[8D]

Cheers,

~ Jeff

Jeff

Man all those heli parts and bits look like fun. My walkera 22D had a shaft-driven tail TT . I main problem with it(besides a walkera) was every time the tail bumped something it would strip the gears on the tail ,both ends of the shaft and the main gear that drives it. So with that I will stick with belt tails until they dont make them anymore.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:05 PM
Wnuk

Hey Jeff, the more I studied your picture the more I became confused. Is the circled part a new type of tail rotor?

Name:	Pm34655.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	1069673  
Old 11-10-2008, 07:46 PM
theradioflyer

Hey Jeff, I bet your enjoying the heck out of that 500 right now! Building can be frustrating but also fun[8D] I've heard great things about the torque tube as well. I love that little tail rotor that Jim circled. I hope it holds up

God Bless Y'all.... I hope everyone has a great week!

Jay
Old 11-10-2008, 09:03 PM
J-MICHAEL

Tim ~

Nice to see ya poke in and check in... I thought maybe ya re-enlisted into the Marines or something.....

Jim ~

LMAO.... Yup the ol' little MCX... Its gonna get jeaous pretty soon....

Kyle ~

Yeah I hear ya with the belts... I've never had a problem with running the belt set-ups, so its gonna take a lot to impress me with the TT...
Jay ~

Yeah it will be fun... I still have an order for this Friday though that will include some more CNC for it, so not much will happen until I get the parts by next Tuesday hopefully. But I'am mocking it up a bit though ! Just to be sure everything is good to go, as ya never know huh ? It will be another long week for me also and I'll be drained from work, but I'll try and mock up as much as I can but then when I get the parts, I'll have to strip the whole thing down again as one of the things was a Microheli bottom bracket that supports the two CF frames on the bottom. It weighs only a couple grams more than the stock plastic bracket, but I'am hoping for a bit more lower CG for stability... Yeah we'll see about the Torque-Tube thingy... Some guys rave about them, and have even crashed a few times with no damage, and others will strip out the gears from a tail strike with the tail rotors... So we'll see... I still have all the belt components to quickly change over, but you know me I love to experiment ! Plus it just takes a minute to switch out those gears, where the belt its a whole process and such. And the gears are cheap, so I'am not to worried... It will definately be quieter than a belt, so that will be interesting.

Whew... I'am beat tired, as I just got home from work... Gotta go eat !

~ Jeff
Old 11-10-2008, 09:42 PM
mikey1964
My Feedback: (-1)

Hey guys picture of the week! mikey

Name:	Mk25108.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	1069799  
Old 11-10-2008, 10:00 PM
choppersrule

Bobs,

I see that I'm falling behind on posts again, nothing new for me. I'll catch up in a few days, I think. Just busy.

This is for Jeff, because I know he's a nut case on the mCX.

1) I thought that I'd see if the blades were balanced. Lowers were perfect. Uppers were about 3 grains off. A super tiny hunk of scotch tape fixed that problem. Placed on the underside of the blade.

Trivia: 1 gram (the weight of a dollar bill, by the way) equals 15.4323584 grains.

2) I did polish the main outer shaft, with "000' steel wool, (Thanks for that input Jay, about the "000" grade.)

Beer Cans are perfect for balancing blades. . Check out the top view of the blade balls on the beer cans. (Notice, the beer cans are not opened.[8D].

Dave

Name:	Ay74574.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	1069820   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40308.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	1069821   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr40133.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	1069822  
Old 11-10-2008, 10:18 PM
Wnuk

ORIGINAL: mikey1964

LMAO!

Dave- those beer cans work better when empty. Oh wait, that's ME that works better when the cans are empty
Old 11-10-2008, 10:38 PM
theradioflyer

ORIGINAL: Wnuk

ORIGINAL: mikey1964

LMAO!

Dave- those beer cans work better when empty. Oh wait, that's ME that works better when the cans are empty
Beautiful picture Mikey

I can tell Ya first Hand that I work better when the cans are full. When done with work.... start popping the tops! I've used glasses as well.

Great tip Dave

Jeff, man!.... That puppy will be awesome when your done. I want video my friend! Very Cool![8D]

Blessings,

Jay
Old 11-10-2008, 10:43 PM
J-MICHAEL

Dave ~

Come on Chief...! Get some wax on them blades....LMAO.... Them blades of yours look duller than an old 57' Chevy truck sittin' out in a old cow field rusting away....LOL !

Old 11-10-2008, 10:58 PM
choppersrule

Jeff,

Okay already, I'll get the Turtlle Wax out and give it spit shine.

Jim,

Beer is fun![8D] And the cans are of great use.

Well, I'm off for the night, gonna try to catch up with you guys tomorrow.

Dave
Old 11-10-2008, 11:16 PM
J-MICHAEL

Is landing upside down bad.....?

Old 11-11-2008, 07:24 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

You guys are not helping me avoid buying an MCX. Not one tiny bit.

Re-enlist,[X(], it was interesting for a few years, but I would the world's oldest L/Cpl (Non-Promotable) ever.

Tim
Old 11-11-2008, 07:29 PM
choppersrule

Jim,

Sounds like your're one busy guy, with the helis and all the running around with your kids. Soccer practice, baseball practice and hockey practice. YIKES! Same with my kids years ago, at one tme I was on 15 different committees. No worries now, my youngest is 29 and the oldest 31. Now it's there turn, with there kids.. LOL And BTW, "Honey Do" lists, never end.

Beer Cans: I'm glad Greenwood has a recycle center, if I would have saved them over the last 40 years or so, it would take a tractor trailer to haul them off.

Jeff Michael,

Concerning the torque tube (TT) on your Trex 500. About 2 1/2 years ago, I had a Falcon 3D that was TT. It's very crude compared to the new style and tecnology that's now in the Trex. And the gears have to have the right clearance too, more adjusting. But once done right, it won't change o slip. Like the belt drive will do on occasion. I never really had problems with the gears stripping, but the inner drive shat would usually snap on a tail rotor hit. You'll hear and see a lot of debate on the TT's. Some good, some bad. On the Falcon 3D, parts were cheap enough and easy toreplace, especially for those that like to tinker. Only time will tell you on your bird. Get R Done!

And the mCX upside down, are you sure it wasn't a dragon fly that hi ya. It can happen you know.

Got the Vapor back in working order and a few fun flights. Using the 110mAh batteries from the mCX.
Gotta get a few more batteries for the winter, getting cold and windy here in Indy.

NOTE TO SELF: Don't forget to wax your blades tonight.

Later Bob's

Dave

Name:	Db85234.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	1070437   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40049.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	1070438   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej12659.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	1070439   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ey69841.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	1070440   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zk67617.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	1070441  
Old 11-11-2008, 07:53 PM
theradioflyer

Hey Dave, there's the old wheel barrow moment[8D] Hey... much for the Buick on the right[X(] PM on hunting coming, not mine but friends. Anyone else would like a PM let me know.

Blessings,

Jay
Old 11-11-2008, 08:07 PM
choppersrule

Tim,

Glad to see ya back. Re-enlist, well, I spent my years in the Air Force and when my time was up. I was gone. Time for the younger guys to step in an give the nation a helping hand. Like we did.

Ya gotta get one of these MCX's, they are toooooo cool. Just keep thinking, "I gotta get one, I gotta get one".

You're only a few clicks away from a real stable and fun flying helicopter. Parts are very reasonable and are carried at most of your LHS that carry the E-flite brand of helicopter. Enjoy and have fun all year round. Batteries too, are very resonable at only $10.99 and will give your helicopter between 6 and 8 minutes of wonder flight. Even one that has never flown a RC Helicopter before, can learn to fly in a matter of a few minutes, it's that stable and helps the beginner levels tune there orientation to perfection. Pick up a few extra batteries for extended fun and enjoyment.

Hey, that sounds like a flippin''commercial. LMAO

Seriously, it's a lot of fun. Attached is a couple more crummy pictures I can take. It's that stable, that I took the pictures with my right hand off the TX. And had a sip of beer too. Check it out, here's a site, the price is the same everywhere, and get a free set of glow in the dark blades: http://www.hobbyzone.com/rc-helicopt...cro-cx-rtf.htm

Dave
ORIGINAL: FERNDALE AIR FORCE

You guys are not helping me avoid buying an MCX. Not one tiny bit.

Re-enlist,[X(], it was interesting for a few years, but I would the world's oldest L/Cpl (Non-Promotable) ever.

Tim

Name:	Ax73223.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	1070468   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31502.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	1070469   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq38290.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	1070470  
Old 11-11-2008, 08:13 PM
theradioflyer

To All Vets, Thank-you....That's the very least I can say because I can't say it enough.

Thank-you and God Bless You.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:21 PM
choppersrule

Jay,

The old Wheel Barrow has never left. You should see me fly the HBK2 in the basement, YIKES, even my daughter can't believe it. I just never got around to camcording stuff. The Buick on the right, it's a parking area for the body shop. About 80 feet in from of that car is the body shop. I'll take the camera to work and get some cool wrecks for ya to enjoy.[8D][8D]
Actually that picture was to show you the wind, notice the flags a blowin.. I'll be waiting for the PM, put me on the permanent list.[sm=thumbup.gif] BTW, work is back to almost no business. Only 5 cars sold in the last 5 working days, not a good sign.

Bless ya Jay,

Dave
ORIGINAL: theradioflyer

Hey Dave, there's the old wheel barrow moment[8D] Hey... much for the Buick on the right[X(] PM on hunting coming, not mine but friends. Anyone else would like a PM let me know.

Blessings,

Jay

Name:	Hf97675.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	1070482  
Old 11-11-2008, 08:41 PM
J-MICHAEL

Geez I've ben sicker than a dog, and beat cause I'am still going to work... YIKES... If I wasn't so obsessed with the RC stuff, I'd just stay home but we gotta still be packin' the ol' C-Notes into the wallet so to speak...LMAO...

But sick or not, without much energy to really post I still can always find the energy to poke at our Chief though... I always got to "rib him" whenever I can get the chance...

So Dave.... At your dealership there where ya work and in the pic you show, Is that the car they let ya borrow to go to lunch in ?.... It seems maybe ya possibly had a little mishap perhaps ?! I'am sure they didn't notice, but I did..... Nothing a little buffing couldn't take care of eh ?! (Picture below)....

Tim ~

Others have seen, but you got to check out the performance of the little MCX after a few mods that me and Dave tweaked into her ! The first is the newest, and then going to the oldest... You can tell the most recent offers better as the mods increased in the craft as from the oldest, didn't offer as much... Also, we have done a few more, and still haven't posted the more advanced to this day... I agree, you should really get one ! So tough ! and a hoot to fly....

Newest to oldest :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vesKxbhXBOY (Outside Flight)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9emrekcSD_o (Inside Flight)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swWaYaAqgYo (Outside Flight, 1 day old first video)

Cheers,

~ Jeff

Old 11-11-2008, 08:53 PM
Wnuk

Mikey, I just looked at the picture of the cows again. When I looked last night, at a quick glance, it looked to me that a bull was riding a sow, so to speak. I looked again this evening and it looks like I saw that picture wrong last night[X(] I need to get my glasses checked. Sorry about that!

Dave Yep, the "honey do" is never ending. Only problem is I've reached a slow time of year in my business and I'm about caught up on all the odds and ends. I think now she is just inventing work just to keep me out of her hair!

Jay Keep me on your PM list also. I sent one back to ya.

I got the Align ESC installed this afternoon and did a short hover in the basement to make sure it's working. It's a bit odd in that the E-flite ESC would allow the motor to begin to spool up as soon as the throttle stick moved. The Align one has me moving the throttle a bit before the motor starts to spin. I'm not sure why. I do still seem to have full power. I should get out tomorrow morning for some flying. It's supposed to be 32 degrees and little wind, just my kind of day!

Later All!

Jim

Thank a Vet for the freedom you are enjoying today.
Thanks to all of you who have served.[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 11-11-2008, 08:58 PM
choppersrule

Jay,

You're Welcome. I really enjoyed my time in the service, it was a TREMENDOUS learning experience to say the least. The training I got in the service it what my career at the telephone industry from the electronics side of the house. Worked on the old B-52's and KC-135's refuelers.. Worst time was when I was in Vietnam for a little over a year, *******s kept bombing our base.

Well, I gotta think of something to poke at Jeff,

Dave

ORIGINAL: theradioflyer

To All Vets, Thank-you....That's the very least I can say because I can't say it enough.

Thank-you and God Bless You.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:06 PM
choppersrule

Jim,

I don't remember the exact term they use, I think "Soft-Start up", but it's in the ESC to bring the motor up to speed slowly, and it's by design as not to "JAM" per say, gears and other critical parts on spool up. Nothing to be of concern, as mentioned it's by design.

Being a Vet makes me not only proud of myself, but of our country too. Thanks,

Dave
ORIGINAL: Wnuk

It's a bit odd in that the E-flite ESC would allow the motor to begin to spool up as soon as the throttle stick moved. The Align one has me moving the throttle a bit before the motor starts to spin. I'm not sure why. I do still seem to have full power.
Later All!

Jim

Thank a Vet for the freedom you are enjoying today.
Thanks to all of you who have served.[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 11-12-2008, 07:12 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

OK, so I was pricing them out this morning. And how's this for surreal, I may be repairing a guys heli for him[X(][X(]. They think it needs blades and skids. I should have more info tomorrow. I just exchanged the money I spent for the HBK2 on several months worth of plane supplies, so I guess that makes the MCX a possibility.

Tim

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.