Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Reaction 54 Jet Kit

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Reaction 54 Jet Kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 09:06 PM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Reaction 54 Jet Kit

Hey Gang,

"My Reaction 54 has a little brother!"

72% size. About 750 square inches of wing area. NOT an exact scale version. Holds a 40oz DuBro tank!

I've posted a lot of pictures in a new thread titled:

"My reaction 54 has a little brother" http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3810426/tm.htm

Thank You Bruce for allowing a "one off"

Dave Rigotti
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90321.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	393134   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48600.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	393135   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va73532.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	393136   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vp38636.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	393137   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gs94079.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	393138   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zp95011.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	393139   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bd67758.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	393140   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec99755.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	393141  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rq16219.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	393142   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lx11472.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	393143  
Old 01-23-2006, 01:30 AM
TommyWatson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

G'Day Dave,

Well it looks like you have been really busy. You must be snowbound!!!.

I cant wait to see how it flies. I have just this afternoon,had my plans reduced down to 82%. which gives me 64" wingspan and about 1050Sq" area, a bit bigger than yours. I still havnt flown the Savex yet.
I will probably get a Wren 44 Gold for the little Reaction. I have a mate who does laser cutting So I will probaby get him to cut the parts.

Well done

Regards

Old 01-23-2006, 06:00 AM
rcguy!

Laser cut parts? Man I wish!
I did have the foam cores hot wire CNC cut!

Keep us posted Tommy!

Dave Rigotti
Old 01-23-2006, 11:43 AM
on-your-six

is anyone using fod screens on this jet
since it is a grass field plane
six
Old 01-24-2006, 09:19 PM
samo

Is there anyone who can answer my mystery? I upgraded My R54 to a Futaba 9C and rewired the new Futaba receiver into the existing Hitec digital servos. When I turn the power switch on, the ESC beeps, but nothing happens with the servos. There is power going to them b/c there is resistance and slight buzzing when I apply light finger pressure. It is a beautiful transmitter but it would be a little nicer if it could communicate a little better with my jet. Are these digital servos compatible with this radio?
Thanks all -

Steve Morris
Old 01-24-2006, 09:33 PM
rcguy!

ORIGINAL: samo

Is there anyone who can answer my mystery? I upgraded My R54 to a Futaba 9C and rewired the new Futaba receiver into the existing Hitec digital servos. When I turn the power switch on, the ESC beeps, but nothing happens with the servos. There is power going to them b/c there is resistance and slight buzzing when I apply light finger pressure. It is a beautiful transmitter but it would be a little nicer if it could communicate a little better with my jet. Are these digital servos compatible with this radio?
Thanks all -

Steve Morris
Steve,
I have a 9C working just fine with the Hitec servos Bruce recommends. I'm using the 9CH PCM RX that came with the system. I'm baffled at your term "ESC"? Is the TX module in the TX? How about the xtal?

Dave Rigotti
Old 01-24-2006, 10:46 PM
Kelly W
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could you have meant 'DSC': http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBNA0&P=7

If that's the case and you're using the DSC chord, you still need to turn on the RX switch to power up the servos. The 9C transmitter will automatically turn on as soon as the DCS chord is plugged in the back, but it doesn't activate the receiver.

The Hitec digitals work fine with Futaba radios, and every other brand as I understand it.

Just thought this might help... Good luck!
Kelly
Old 01-24-2006, 11:13 PM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

Steve,
I don't know what radio or receiver you were using before but assuming your new receiver is PCM, the TX might be in PPM mode and in that case the RX will go into default failsafe and the servos will not move. Juat a thought.

Marty
Old 01-24-2006, 11:14 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Check for PCM or PPM modulation depending on your RX.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:25 PM
samo

I did that. I swear I've checked everything over 20x's. I wonder if the failsafe is locking me up?
Thanks for your response,

Steve
Old 01-24-2006, 11:43 PM
samo

Dave,

I was referring to the jetcat ESC. The module is plugged in. Not sure what the xtal is??
Thanks,

Steve
Old 01-25-2006, 12:10 AM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

I think he means, check that the crystal that's plugged into the RX is the same frequency as the TX.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:17 AM
BruceTharpe

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmm, that is a mystery. I use a 9C as well for my R54 with RAM 500. Are you saying the only thing that has changed is the transmitter?

If you plug the Ground Support Terminal into the ESC, I believe it will show a little "F" symbol if the ESC is reading a failsafe condition. Might be a clue there.

Does the radio/servos work if you unplug the ESC from the receiver?
Old 01-25-2006, 02:38 AM
booker-RCU
My Feedback: (43)

To change the subject slightly --- After 34 days of continuous rain it finally let up, the sun came thru and we headed to the field to fly the R-54. Clear sky’s, 54 deg & wind calm. Got in several flights and enjoyed a great day flying.
I'm still having trouble slowing that machine down for landing. Toward the end of the day I was doing better but it's sure a slick son-of-a-gun. At altitude I had full flaps, gear up, and throttle at Idle & full up elevator. It would not stall!!. Just a slight drop of the nose and it would keep going & going & going.
What do you think Bruce - do I need to see if I can get more flap?
Galen

Old 01-25-2006, 08:33 AM
on-your-six

where is every one at on c of g with this plane
most forward or rear looks like the most rear
c of g is about 7" from the leading edge at the
fuse
i have mine c/g ed at 7" back now and i am about
ready to test fly i will add some weight to the nose
to test fly and then start to move the c/g back
just checking
thanks six
Old 01-25-2006, 10:50 AM
BruceTharpe

Galen, yes, if you have more flap to "get", then get it. The bevels in the flap and wing trailing edge are both 30 degress, allowing a total of 60 degrees of flap deflection. If yours are only going down, say, 45 degrees, it might surprise you how much that last bit of deflection will help. If you have enough mixing capability with your radio, you might also want to try popping the ailerons up 15-20 degrees for landing, like spoilers. Some others have used that technique with success. Make sure your turbine is idleing down to its absolute minimum rpm allowed by the ECU. You might also want to increase your elevator throw for a little more flaring power. If that makes it too sensitive in normal flight, you can program in some expo. Or, maybe you are on the nose-heavy side and can experiment with removing a bit of nose weight, which would have a similar effect.

Well, I've thrown a lot of ideas out there, let us know which works. I have found myself that dead calm is when you notice "floatiness" on landing the most, which makes sense. I actually prefer a little headwind for more precise touchdowns.

Six, don't be bashful about adding nose weight. I know everybody hates to add dead weight to their models, but you really won't notice it. Test fly with the CG in the front half of the recommended CG range. Personally, I started in the front half, then gradually moved rearward, as you suggested. Now I've gone back to the more forward CG - feels more solid in the landing approach to me. This is definitely a pilot preference thing, so you have to experiment for yourself.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:09 PM
bobparks2

ORIGINAL: BruceTharpe

If yours are only going down, say, 45 degrees, it might surprise you how much that last bit of deflection will help. If you have enough mixing capability with your radio, you might also want to try popping the ailerons up 15-20 degrees for landing, like spoilers.
Going from 45 deg to 60 deg flap is little or no change in lift, but it is a large drag increase, way more than just the change in frontal area.

I have been thinking of reshaping the bevels on mine to get even more flap throw. I have used 80 to 90 deg in the past. That much throw cuts the lift a little bit (not a concern on the R54), but is even more drag, and that means a bit more engine RPM and much quicker throttle response if you need it.

Bob
Old 01-25-2006, 12:45 PM
booker-RCU
My Feedback: (43)

Thanks Bruce for the info.
I will check all those parameters that you mentioned. I know I don't have quite as much flap as was recommended. I had to back off some because the servos were binding. They are greater than 45 deg. however. Perhaps I just need to fly more.
It's a great flying airplane and lots of fun. I have guys standing in line to get on the buddy box. One of our club members has built several of your kits and is about ready to go for the R-54. Another member is in the covering stage on his. I can see an R-54 fly-in coming to the Northwest.
Galen
Old 01-25-2006, 02:53 PM
on-your-six

thanks bruce i will go like i said on the nose heavy side
looks like a great plane - i will be test flying this week
if the weather holds
thanks
also have you seen or heard of guys using fod screens
on the 54
Old 01-25-2006, 03:03 PM
bobparks2

ORIGINAL: six

also have you seen or heard of guys using fod screens
on the 54
I have the standard Wren fod screen/starter housing on my 54 Mk III. Its certainly nice to not have to worry about getitng stuff sucked into the inlet. I imagine it costs a bit of thrust but have not seen any data. I would use it even in an internal installation.

OTOH, the R54 has pretty good FOD protection with the engine up over the wing like it is. I supose there is a slight chance that you could have the nose wheel throw a pebble up over the wing, and then into the engine, but its not very likely.

Bob
Old 01-25-2006, 03:18 PM
on-your-six

thanks i think i will do the same
six
Old 01-25-2006, 03:56 PM
BruceTharpe

Bob is exactly right about the FOD screen. The airframe and wing shape were purposely designed to protect the engine inlet. That was back before there were any FOD screens. Most people become FOD screen users AFTER they've spent a few hundred bucks getting their turbine repaired... I have no problem with them on the R54 - it's like double insurance.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:56 PM
TommyWatson

Hi Galen,

I am certainly no expert flyer, but I have landed my R54 more than 50 times. Here is what I do.
I have my flaps on a 3 position switch. The first is no flaps, the second is about 35 degrees, and the third is more than 60 degrees.
I slow the model to about 1/4 throttle on the downwind leg and drop the gear, then I turn onto base and drop the first stage of flaps. There is no noticable trim change, When I turn onto final and am sure I will make the field I go to idle throttle and when the model has slowed noticably, I drop the last stage of flaps. This seems to give me a slight nose high attitude and the thing almost needs no flare at all.

If you drop the last stage of flaps and you are too fast you will get a little zoom, so don't use full flaps till you are fairly slow.

I agree with Bruce, flying with a brisk breeze, landing is much easier and if you throttle back too much it will almost stop in the air.

You can go around with full flaps, just keep some down elevator to prevent a rapid climb at full throttle.

I have said it before and I will say it again, this is the best flying model I have ever owned.

Regards

Old 01-25-2006, 07:42 PM
wd40
My Feedback: (81)

I am now installing the the sheeting to the wing I like the way Bruce has you do this step, and hope to have this one ready for Doc soon.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60712.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	395278   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa87085.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	395279  
Old 01-25-2006, 09:06 PM
rcguy!

ORIGINAL: TommyWatson

Hi Galen,

I am certainly no expert flyer, but I have landed my R54 more than 50 times. Here is what I do.
I have my flaps on a 3 position switch. The first is no flaps, the second is about 35 degrees, and the third is more than 60 degrees.
I slow the model to about 1/4 throttle on the downwind leg and drop the gear, then I turn onto base and drop the first stage of flaps. There is no noticable trim change, When I turn onto final and am sure I will make the field I go to idle throttle and when the model has slowed noticably, I drop the last stage of flaps. This seems to give me a slight nose high attitude and the thing almost needs no flare at all.

If you drop the last stage of flaps and you are too fast you will get a little zoom, so don't use full flaps till you are fairly slow.

I agree with Bruce, flying with a brisk breeze, landing is much easier and if you throttle back too much it will almost stop in the air.

You can go around with full flaps, just keep some down elevator to prevent a rapid climb at full throttle.

I have said it before and I will say it again, this is the best flying model I have ever owned.

Regards

Yup....pretty much how I do it except I hardly use full flaps unless I'm "hot". Mostly use 30 degrees all the time. I have 550 feet of grass runway to use. Have not tried the crow setup yet. Methinks it will be worth the effort though. I do extend the gear on the upwind pass to see if all three are "down and locked".

Dave Rigotti

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.