Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 12:08 PM
rotarydoc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: are these blades any good for cp pro?

Nick,

Yeah, it said something to the effect that they were not going to carry them anymore...and Helidirect seems to be discounting them heavily as well...and my heli oriented LHS said they are just selling the rest of their inventory of parts, not reordering.

I wonder what's up, they seem to be very popular, even if they are a pretty old design...

Your post was NUMBER NINE THOUSAND!!

I'm going to go flying here in a few, and test the B400's for a few flights at lunch...

Glenn
Old 08-27-2009, 12:30 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

I now see the description you were talking about under the Raptor 90 SE. I checked and that, a version of the Raptor 30 and 60 were the only ones out of stock. Maybe they are also trying to get rid of their last ones. Heliproz still sells them.

Have fun flying.

Hobbypeople finally has my power supply on sale again that JPEE had a link to a few months back. I might get that and wait for my charger to go on sale, so I can charge my 600 battery in 15min and two 540 batteries in 15min. Lately it has only taken 11-13min to charge those batteries. I am wishing my charger will go on clearance, because there is only one site that still carries it.

Nick
Old 08-27-2009, 03:56 PM
rotarydoc

Nick,

Yeah, it says it at the top of the page at Helihobby....I looked at Readyheli, and all they have is some electric TT helis...so it makes me wonder where Thunder Tiger is headed....

Then, I see this;

http://www.readyheli.com/KX0160NOA_A.../kx0160noa.htm

I would probably put that much money in the Raptor to try to MAYBE get it to fly right....I was reading where one guy got so tired of throwing money at the woofing issue on his Raptor .50 that he ended up putting an Align rotor head on it...

By the time I bought all the Align parts, and everthing to fix the Raptor, that $320 Trex 600 is looking better all the time...

So, back to the drawing board.... "sigh"

Glenn
Old 08-27-2009, 11:13 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

That T-Rex would be perfect for you, since you already have all the electronics and engine. My 600 hasn't given me any frustrations for 150 flights besides the main bearings, one way bearing, and the ball joints backing out. The main bearings are a cheap fix. The Compass 600 one way bearing has lasted a lot longer than the stock one, still going strong, and that was cheap too. I think I needed to dip the ball joint threads in acetone or something like that to get the machine oil off. Then I probably wouldn't have the problem of them backing out. Since I started checking the tightness of them after every flight they haven't backed out since. I know you like building helis.

Nick
Old 08-27-2009, 11:32 PM
rotarydoc

Nick,

Yeah, I got to thinking about the Raptor, and I am not really sold on the plastic frame, the mechanical mixing, the very, very confusing parts situation (especially in my case), and the fact that it seems like they are losing popularity.

That 600 would be great, especially since it is not a full bore NSP, I think I'd rather have the fiberglass frames (no static, cheaper to rebuild) and the belt tail (cheaper and easier to rebuild) for those occasional tail blade strikes.

I nearly fell over when I saw that price, and thinking that even a cheap Mavvrik all metal head setup from Heliproz is $180...and the Kasama one is $250!! Then, I would still have the mismatched stuff on the heli, and I think it would be alot of headaches...

So, for now, I think I'm just going to put my nitro project on indefinate hold....that Trex build would be alot of fun to do over the winter, if I decided to do it, when there isn't much going on flying wise.

But yeah, you are correct, I already have the large majority of what I need for it electronics wise, and have the starter, ni-starter, fuel pump, and all that stuff.

I wonder what my "grab bag" of Raptor parts would be worth? That would be nice to get $100 or so for the "basket case" Raptor and all the parts. I would keep the wood main blades, but that's probably about it...or would it be better to get it assembled and sell it minus any electronics....?

I don't know, but for now, I think I'm going to bring a box home from work, and put the parts in it, and set it aside for now. I am thinking I should get some automatic transmission fluid from work, and run it through the engine for protection against corrosion. That trans fluid is very similar to "after run" oil that is used in nitro engines for long term storage...

I flew the CPP2 and the Gaui earlier tonight. Never did fly at lunchtime. Went to my baseball field and there were some shady lookin' guys there, in the corner of the parking lot, so I just decided not to fly there.

Looks like I'm gonna get brushed by this tropical storm "Danny" this weekend...so Saturday might be ruled out....but next week, looks like a cold front is coming, with nice cool temps in the upper 70's!! I can't wait!!

Yeah, I do love building helis, so maybe there'll be a nitro kit project over the winter...

For now, I'm gonna fly as much as possible, since soon, the sun will set too early to fly after work...[&o]

Glenn
Old 08-28-2009, 12:03 AM
evdreamer

Glenn,

I have no idea what your Raptor would be worth. It might be easier to sell if it was complete, but not if it would be expensive to do that.

Good to hear you got some flying in. It has been cloudy here a lot lately, so I don't know when I will get to fly again. It is alright to fly with a plane in the clouds, since there is more surface area, but it is too hard for me to tell the orientations with the 600. Cool to hear you will be getting some cool temps.

Nick
Old 08-28-2009, 11:29 AM
rotarydoc

Nick,

I got a box for the Raptor today at work. I'll pack it up except for the engine, which I'll prep for storage soon...

I could throw it together pretty cheap as a .30, since I have extra booms, belts, and maybe even boom supports and blades, but I'd have to buy all that to put it together as a .50 again.

Depends on how bored I get, I guess. I'd have to replace the broken left side frame and the servo tray.

I'm just going to set it aside for the moment, and see how things go.

I guess I'm just weird, as I like flying when it's a bit overcast. Like the past couple of evenings, my field faces west...and even though the sun is down, the sky is kinda bright, and then when I go lower and have a treeline as a backdrop, I have a hard time adjusting to the light change...

I guess it's different for different people, and conditions. I know most guys like flying in bright sun, but not me so much...

Hope the clouds go away for you, and you can get some more flying in.

Glenn
Old 08-28-2009, 11:49 AM
JPEE

Hello Glenn,

I loaded the entire like 26 pic on PhotoBucket but I am having trouble making it run right now. Once I get the bug out I'll send the link. But here are some of the pics. This thing looks like it have benn flown but a frew times. CLEAN as a whistle. The only problem I see if the canopy tab isbroken off on one side of the frame. He got it on a trade for labor on a job he did at the guys house. He say he has turned it over the motor and its free. The beyond the pics that is all I can do for you. He does want to sell it, he knows he will never get it going. He said the guy that owned said he used a drill motor with an ALLEN wrench to start it when he flew it.
Should you work a deal, I will tear it down by rr boom and blades then put it a box so it would not be to big for shipping.

JPEE
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13165.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	1264598   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23647.jpg
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	1264599   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm24705.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	1264600   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35364.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	1264601   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15164.jpg
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	1264602  
Old 08-28-2009, 11:53 AM
evdreamer

Glenn,

If I got some night lights on the heli, then I could see it in the clouds.

Nick
Old 08-28-2009, 12:29 PM
JPEE

Glenn, I sent you an email with the link to all of the photos

JPEE

UPDATE

It is 104 here right now at 2:07 p.m.... E GADS thats hot!

I just drove out 20 miles to a Hooby Shop that runs that Fly Park that you join and then get a key to the gate. The fee, you must be AMA member for the insurance and their FEE for the club is $100.00 and every year after that it comes down $20.00. He was busy so I did not ask what the bottom line is on annual dues. As I think about it $8.00 per month is not bad to have my own Fly Park with canopies, benchs, Andy Gumps, and you car is within 20 feet of you for charging if you need it and key to open that gate anytime I want ! I'll have to study on it forsure

While waiting for my talking count down timer to arrive I had a thought last night OH OH!
I took my small pocket tape recorder along with my watch and I made a tape starting with a 10 seconds get ready count down so I could start it and then grab my TX and then it counts up starting with one minute, two min, three, four min, four and half, five min and then up to seven min with quarter graduations after five min. So this morning I started it 10-9-8-7 yadda yadda and then I lifted off. I did some stunt flying and then I knew right where I was battery wise with the recorder ticking off my minutes. I might still even use that rather than my new talking timer, it will be a contest for sure.

Name:	Ec88005.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	1264612   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24324.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	1264613   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41276.jpg
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	1264614   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns43653.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	1264615  
Attached Images  
Old 08-28-2009, 11:36 PM
rotarydoc

Hey guys,

Nick,

LOL, get some lights!!

I don't know how those guys do that night flying...I have tried on the sim...holy crap...I can't imagine doing that in RL...[X(]

JPEE,

Thanks for taking the time to take all those pics!

That thing looks pretty clean...I was picturing worse...

Hope he can find a new owner, or maybe you guys should make a project of it!!

Nitros are FUN!

I can tell ya, if it woofs on ya, you won't need any more coffee to keep you awake at 6AM or whatever hour you guys fly over there!! LMAO!![sm=omg_smile.gif]

Good luck on it, whatever you guys decide....I have a WHOLE bunch of SPARE PARTS FOR IT!! LOL!!

Glenn
Old 08-29-2009, 12:23 AM
evdreamer

JPEE,

That is a smart idea.

Glenn,

I think it would be harder night flying with a plane like knowing where the runway is. LOL I read that most people that night fly with a heli use glow sticks where they are going to land, so they can see the ground. My club has an annual night flying event, but I think I missed it.

Nick
Old 08-29-2009, 04:46 PM
evdreamer

I am basically done with the mock up now. I just need to curve the top of the last two supports and make the final designs in CAD and test that out.

Name:	Ge95891.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	1265367   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33845.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	1265368  
Old 08-29-2009, 06:08 PM
JPEE

Nick, the plane looks great!

Well my Hitec 5425MG servos just arrived for the 500, so I am tearing into her right now!

JPEE
Old 08-29-2009, 06:55 PM
evdreamer

JPEE,

Cool to hear you got your servos.

Nick
Old 08-29-2009, 07:55 PM
J-MICHAEL

Nick ~

Your plane looks great ! I missed about 4 or 5 pages on this thread since I've been on my little vacation, but hopefully I should be able to keep up with all my threads I snoop on instead of restricted to a couple. I can't wait until you get her airborne again..

Glenn ~

Possibly selling the Raptor ?! Go Trex baby..... (LMAO) Hey, I know.... Sell all that stuff and get ya that Trex 700 ?! You could give kitty a ride in her then !

JPEE ~

You'll love the HS-5245 mg servo's ! I've never had one issue yet with mine in the 500. I did however in my last crash strip one of the metal gears. I just bought another HS-5245 servo in replacement, and will use the spare one now for parts possibly in the future. Hope your not sweating to much in that 104 degree heat ya just had... Eh !
Old 08-29-2009, 09:51 PM
JPEE

Hey Mr. Jeffery,

Did you have to shim out the Hs servos?

I know you did. Did you buy an Align servos shim set?

Did you only need to do the front two?

Did the back servo fit ok?

Did you use the blue arms where they are threaded for the ball?

Anyother tips you can share?

BTW, Hitec has pretty much a NO NONSENCE replacement on their servos fro 36 months. I know, I have sent some in before.

JPEE

Old 08-29-2009, 10:07 PM
J-MICHAEL

JPEE ~

I hardly can remember about the install of them, but let me go sneak a peak at the 500 and refresh my memory really quick.

I did use the aluminum blue arms though like you were wondering. That could have added to the metal gear being stripped in my last crash, as it didn't really leave a weak spot open then to break. Just a guess...

Thanks for the Hitec customer service stuff. I didn't know..! But I don't like to wait either... Maybe I should now send in that one though ?!
Old 08-29-2009, 10:28 PM
J-MICHAEL

JPEE ~

Ok I remember... I used the shims or "spacers" from the included spacers that the Trex 500 kit came with. At least the Trex 500 CF version did... I'am not sure on if the ESP version did or not since they already had the included Align servo's as you know.

Since the manual recommended these servo's as a choice, they included the spacers to make the job hassle free, and that it was as I look back now. Not really any hints, as it was a pretty smooth process. I included a few pics to help you see what those spacers look like. Finless in his video hinted that the spacers are in the hardware pack.

The rear elevator servo was also a smooth fit... I've been busy fishing my ***** off, so now I'am getting back into the swing of things here.

Name:	Wu59969.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	1265578   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk28221.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	1265579   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56999.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	1265580  
Old 08-30-2009, 05:25 PM
evdreamer

Jeff,

Good to see you back here. It sounds like you had a good time fishing.

I just got done drilling the holes for the wings and the wing fits the angles of my fuselage. That was a major thing I was concerned about. I priced the CF last night and it is going to be expensive even for the dulled version, so it is going to take awhile for me to get the funds. I am hoping to finish the final version by the end of fall, but it might end up taking all winter. I am going to try and use fiberglass for the outside, since I can't get my thin balsa to bend with out snapping around some of the curves.

Nick
Old 08-30-2009, 05:59 PM
JPEE

ORIGINAL: J-MICHAEL

JPEE ~

Ok I remember... I used the shims or ''spacers'' from the included spacers that the Trex 500 kit came with. At least the Trex 500 CF version did... I'am not sure on if the ESP version did or not since they already had the included Align servo's as you know.

Since the manual recommended these servo's as a choice, they included the spacers to make the job hassle free, and that it was as I look back now. Not really any hints, as it was a pretty smooth process. I included a few pics to help you see what those spacers look like. Finless in his video hinted that the spacers are in the hardware pack.

The rear elevator servo was also a smooth fit... I've been busy fishing my ***** off, so now I'am getting back into the swing of things here.

Hello Jeff,

I wanted to give you a big THANK YOU for snapping the pics of the 500. I will go to Heli-hobby tomorrow and get an Align shim kit to space those servos out. A guy from HF said he did not use the long screws that came with the servos like you have and where you re-used the plastic nuts. He said during hard flights (he is like 55-60% nick, a hard 3Dr) that he felt the heli not acting right. So he found that the sevos were sliding up and down in th frame. So he used metal screws with washers like you have but with metal aircraft nuts on the back and that was the end of his problems. Yes he did zip off the plastic backing plates we have now with a Dremel and he had to drill out the plastic nuts so his new long metal threaded screws could slide threw. I know WE dont fly that hard but I wanted to share that with you. You know if they just move a 1/16 that would throw off your swash plate??
Thanks again, hope you had a great time fishing and spending family time too!

Nick: when you finish your mock up, then what is the next step? Are you going to use it for a final air frame for scale model or do you intend to skin that fuse and see how it goes?

JPEE
Old 08-30-2009, 06:57 PM
evdreamer

JPEE,

First I am going to get the CF and use the wood mock up supports as templates and cut that out of the CF sheet. Then I am going to figure out how to make a fiberglass skin around the CF supports. Then I will learn how to paint it. I will use the original wings, cowl, canopy, rudder, and elevator. In my latest pic was the original elevator with the covering taken off. Then I plan on doing that for all the wings and put fiberglass over those and paint it as well. It is a fairly big project, but fun and well worth it.

Nick
Old 08-30-2009, 07:31 PM
J-MICHAEL

Nick ~

Yeah its good to be active again. I can't wait to take my Funtana up for its 4th flight hopefully soon. My third flight got kinda hairy, and so now I'am nervous again about flying it. Good to hear about the progress of your Edge 540. I've been saving all your pics in a folder as I see them come here. Good stuff for reference, and I'am also curious on the future of it. [8D]

JPEE ~

Thanks so much for the tip you found out about the servos for the 500. I would have never guessed... I think I used some CA when I cranked in those servo screws into the plastic spacers. They seem pretty tight, but like you said I'am not out there reaming on it hard like these 3-D fliers do... And you know I'am all about trying to beef up any added security as far as durability goes. So I copied your post and saved that tidbit. Otherwise I'll forget down the road ! I do know that on my last crash with the 500 when it thudded into the ground those servos were still locked into place... Maybe if they did move a bit it could have also helped save that metal gear that stripped ? That and those CNC blue servo arms probably contributed. But the blue servo horns are just so purty though.....
Old 08-30-2009, 08:22 PM
JPEE

Nick,

I have to admire you for your efforts on that plane. Very ambitious! You should be working with Jeff as he is a "fiberglasser" from way back, its in the family.

Jeff,
Yes the guy on HF likes the blue ones too, he says, their SEXY! Me, I think I am going plastic to let it have some give. I was just looing today athe stars and the wheels that came with the servos.

I like the looks of the blue aluminum but I DONT like the idea if the servos getting damaged for $50.00.

JPEE
Old 08-30-2009, 09:44 PM
rotarydoc

Hey guys,

Jeff! Glad to see ya back! We need ya! We were getting into a little late summer rut around here!!

Guess everyone was kinda busy, too hot, too windy, or whatever else....and ONE of us was spending some time picking up pieces of a certain Raptor .50 off of the gound...LOL!

Fishin'?? Sounds relaxing....and kinda boring...LOL...never did get into fishing ever since my dad dragged my 12 year old buttt out of bed at some ungodly hour like 5AM to go fishing on a charter boat with his buddies...LOL!! Man, I've never been so bored, stuck out on the water all day with a bunch of old guys fishing and talking about a bunch of stuff I had no interest in!! LMAO!!

Anyways, glad you are back....and we missed ya!

Hmmmm, the Raptor.....oh yeah...that really big helicopter that exploded in mid hover...that is in a box, in pieces....LOL...I'm going to take the engine to work this week and prep it for storage...for you non-nitro guys, you have to lube the crankcase and all the internal parts prior to long term storage, cause the methanol in the fuel attracts moisture...so if you don't....when you take it back out, all the steel stuff like the bearings will be RUSTY, and corroded !![X(]

After that, I'll put it in the box with the rest of the heli, mark it as to where it stands (i.e. electronics OK, engine OK, etc) for some time in the future...MAYBE to find a new home in a Trex!!

Nick,

Sounds like the plane is coming around nicely! Lots to learn on paint, covering and stuff eh?? Good though, you'll have it all down soon!

Any new electronic projects lately??

JPEE,

How close are the fires??

Is it still triple digits??

How are the 500 servos coming along??

Well, I didn't have a great heli weekend...the main B400 is kicking my butt...

It's got some weird vibration, after I replaced the tail boom...it's pretty funny, actually, the left tailboom support strut is shaking badly....looks like a dang GUITAR string TWANGIN' when the heli is in a hover...then when it's close to the ground, the whole tailboom shakes...looked it over, found one of the links to the flybar cage was worn, and moved over...so I did that..and it's still there...

Took another look at it tonight, and the taillboom suppor/horizontal fin mount is stripped, it's not clamping the tailboom at all....not sure if this is the cause, or the result of the vibes....but I need to start there first...

Hoping the LHS has one, if not, I'll swap one off the stocker (gotta love having a backup sometimes!) and see if that does it....before I order stuff, in case it needs more parts...

That's about it from here!

Glenn

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.