Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 10:01 PM
evdreamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: are these blades any good for cp pro?

Glenn,

I got done redesigning the supports on CAD, so I am basically done until I can afford a sheet of CF. Right now I am downloading a free 3D CAD, so I can see what the final version will look like. It will be a lot cheaper and quicker to see what new designs will look like.

I don't have any new electronic projects at the moment. Maybe after my power supplies class is over I will design a high powered switching power supply.

Good luck with the B400.

Nick
Old 08-30-2009, 10:49 PM
rotarydoc

Nick,

Sounds good on the 3D cad, especially for free, can't beat that!

That would be cool to make a high power switching power supply that works well!

Thanks on the B400, I'm hoping that it's just the boom supports that are loose...but it may be more than that, I'll have to see.

In that book, "Shop and field companion" he says a true test of a well balanced heli is to take the boom supports off alltogether, and then hover the heli....and it should not shake...so, I don't know...

I'll see and know more tomorrow...I really want to get it fixed, so I can get some flying time in in this great weather! Mid 70's for the first part of the week, anyways!

Glenn
Old 08-31-2009, 12:06 AM
rotarydoc

Nick,

I just got my new copy of RC Heli magazine, and on the front inside cover, bigger than day, is a Raptor Titan SE ad...LOL...

Was looking at it closely, and they have some interesting comments and upgrades on there....looks like leading edge control on the main blades, which they (accurately) call "positive delta grips"....

And I also noticed the push pull collective pitch servo setup...along with the all metal aileron mixing arms...

Looks like alot of good ideas there...

I think they have learned from some of their past mistakes...

It's probably a great flying heli, but I'm still not sold on that mixing setup....I think I'd rather have an eCCPM setup myself...

Just funny that the very first page I flipped....

Glenn
Old 08-31-2009, 11:18 AM
evdreamer

Glenn,

I bet that was funny.

I have been messing around with that 3D CAD software over my lunch break and I am starting to get used to it. They have a quick tutorial and one of them shows how to import drawings from my other CAD system, but I need the full version to do that. So I have been copying down the measurements and entering them in this CAD software. I now have all the supports, but one in there. Maybe in the next couple of days I can show you guys a finished product of that.

Nick
Old 08-31-2009, 07:55 PM
evdreamer

The motor mount is finished on CAD. It was a lot quicker than building the original and now I know the dimensions it should be.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44469.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	1266578  
Old 08-31-2009, 08:28 PM
HeliStyle
My Feedback: (2)

Hey guys

just checking in

how is everyone?

I know I said I was going to stay out of it for a bit

but I gave in at the hobbyshop the other night, picked up the new e-flite msr

thing was worth every penny, all out fun

Bought it so I can at least fly something and not spend x amount of hours setting it up and fixing it

hope all is well with everyone
Old 08-31-2009, 08:51 PM
evdreamer

Helistyle,

Cool to hear you are enjoying your MSR.

Nick
Old 08-31-2009, 08:55 PM
rotarydoc

Hey guys,

Nick,

That CAD program looks very cool! I'll bet it helps alot to be able to make it on the PC first, and fine tune it before you do the real thing...

That looks like a pretty cool program for being free...looks like it works well...can you turn it around in all directions and sides when it's on the screen like that?

Heli,

Cool!! I have only seen little clips here and there on the MSR....so it flies pretty well, eh?? I guess it's mostly indoor, since it's so small and light?

How stable is it?? It looks pretty fast in the videos...gets around pretty quickly!

Glad ya "gave in" and got something that's bit more fun, and not so much of a headache...trust me, I know....guess you read about my nitro experiences!

Well, I got to test the B400 out today, after I went to the LHS and got the tailboom support/horizontal fin mount....

And Jeff, you'll be pleased to know that I got the BLING ONE....LMAO!! Mainly because it's alot stronger...the stock one is just a plastic thing with sheet metal type screws in it...the CNC one uses machine screws, should hold up alot better in a crash...it better, for $11!!!!

Anyways, got it on there, and it's stable as a rock now....I guess the tailboom supports really do alot...

I was very curious about how important they are, so for fun, I took the all stock B400 out with no boom supports...and hovered it...and the boom shakes like a banjo string on the stock heli...interesting...

I don't doubt that guy in the book...but I think that the heli would have to be 100% PERFECTLY balanced not to have any vibes with no tailboom supports...but I think it would be possible...just not realistic for the real world...

At any rate, it's all good now...I was drooling over all the other Eflite aluminum upgrades, but man, are they expensive!!! The main ones I would like to have from a strength aspect are the rotor head, see saw holder, and main blade grips...but that is $32, $19, and $40 respectively...OUCH!!!

I'll just keep replacing the stock see saw holder for $2.99 for now...lol...

Glenn
Old 08-31-2009, 09:01 PM
HeliStyle
My Feedback: (2)

thing flies amazing, very stable, but very very fast

I actually flew it in the house 1 pack, then wa slike heck I am going outside

I flew it in 5mph winds no problem, was flying it like a stole it. Does very good outside actually I was surpised at what it could do

You guys should look into one just to mess around with, all out fun

Glenn did hear about your nitro mishaps :/ sorry about those, I would have been upset myself if that had happened to me
Old 08-31-2009, 09:09 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

Yeah this is working a lot better than my balsa mock up. The balsa tends to bend at the grains, so it isn't very straight. However, it is perfectly straight on CAD. Both are good learning experiences though. It is going a lot faster now that I know how to combine the parts into assemblies.

Yeah I can turn it in all directions.

Good to hear the new part helped out a lot on the B400.

Nick
Old 09-01-2009, 06:12 PM
evdreamer

Here is what I have so far. I started calculating the angles of this and it isn't as perfect as I would like, so some time I will correct those.

Name:	Nk28121.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	1267202   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78178.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	1267203   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26226.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	1267204  
Old 09-01-2009, 09:49 PM
JPEE

Nick,

Your CAD program is realy nice. Man what a learning curve that must be to nail down how to use it.

Well I made the plunge and bought a CNC T-Rex complete head and tail box system from Heli Direct tonight. I flew a guys 400 yesterday that was all metal WOW how smooth it was and kinda graceful too. I let him fly me sweet heart 401 today and he could feel the how slipery she is. I get this yo yo effect. He/we noticed how loose and worn out my plastic head is too. He can set his throttle like a plane and then just flew left to right like scale without toughting that throttle. Had I not stood there and watched I would not believe it.
Also my talking timer came in and it well worht the purchase. It is a clock, counter up and down. The voice is female and says 5 minutes left, 4 min left and so on. Then on the last minute it say 1 min left then every 20 seconds in incrimentes thereafter down to zero I LOVE IT! !

Name:	Ig13414.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	1267286  
Old 09-01-2009, 10:23 PM
evdreamer

JPEE,

I am almost done making the version 2 parts. Then I just need to move them in the 3D space. The learning curve wasn't that bad. I took a year of 2D CAD in high school and a lot of that carried over to the 3D CAD.

Those parts look a lot like the Outrage version for their small heli and those are very smooth parts.

Cool to hear your timer came in and that you like it.

Nick
Old 09-01-2009, 11:26 PM
rotarydoc

Hey guys,

Not too much exciting going on over here....I was up at the LHS again eyeing those Eflite CNC parts....LOL!

Now that JPEE ordered his stuff, I'll be curious as to how it works out...

JPEE, I know in your mail you said you can get parts for that head, are they just standard Trex parts, I didn't see anywhere in the description what or where you would get parts?

That is deff the way to go, cost wise, compared to the Eflite stuff... when you have to buy the stuff individually...I figured out mine would cost $140 to do from parts at the LHS, and that's just the head, tail not included...

I'm curious how it turns out for you...

Nick,

The cad program is lookin' good!

That is good that you had the 2D expereience, I'm sure that helps you out alot....

Glenn
Old 09-01-2009, 11:47 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

I got the new supports spaced out and it looks a lot better after the redesign. I tried to copy some of the angles from the real 540. Hopefully by the weekend I can finish a simulated shell around the supports.

I checked and my clubs night fly is on Friday, so I am going to try and head out for that.

Nick
Old 09-02-2009, 12:03 AM
rotarydoc

Nick,

Sounds good on the final details...you may have it in the air again before winter sets in...

That would be cool on the night fly.....got your night lights yet??[X(]

JPEE,

Never mind, I figured it out from the Helidirect site....and saw the parts listed under HDX 450 parts....looks cool...they seem to be out of some stuff, hope it's not as bad as Eflite gets sometimes!

I may go the Eflite route, and then we could compare notes...would be interesting!

I'll have to see tomorrow...

Take care guys, bedtime here!

Glenn
Old 09-02-2009, 08:46 AM
evdreamer

Glenn,

I am just going to fly during the day and watch everyone else fly at night. I might try to fly at night next year with a plane, but not my 600.

Nick
Old 09-02-2009, 12:21 PM
rotarydoc

Nick,

That sounds good....and WISE!!

Hope you have fun...sounds pretty cool....

Glenn
Old 09-02-2009, 12:22 PM
rotarydoc

Name:	Rp44418.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	1267580  
Old 09-02-2009, 12:50 PM
JPEE

WOW Glenn, that was 140.99 YIKES. But I also know that it will top grade stuff too. Good Luck, I am glad you got it, enjoy and then as you said now with three of us get differnt ones we can compare. A side note, I struggled as to what color to get. Thne I looked at my 500 and see the black and, I LIKIE so that what I got. My buddy has the silver on another heli and believe it or not ti really looks good and no one else uses the silver so his head stick out nicely.

Here is the head again with tail box: These are all $65.00 per set
http://www.helidirect.com/hdx450se-c...sa-p-10165.hdx

My head has parts to here:
http://www.helidirect.com/hdx-hdx450...p=list&sort=2a

My buddy yesterday bought this set up in a GOLD finish, and the price is right. They too sell parts and they are HongKong as I recall:
http://www.helipal.com/spare-part_al...t-rex-450.html

Soon we will be flying smooooooooooooooth

JPEE

Jeff.............calling me a sweat hog...really? If I had Travola's money, you could call me anything "oh oh I am so confused" ad Travolta would say.

PS: THE GOLD ONE ON THE RIGHT BLOWS UP LARGE TO SEE DETAILS

Name:	Wp40530.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	1267592  
Attached Images    
Old 09-02-2009, 03:47 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

You couldn't resist getting those parts. What B400 are you putting them on?

I finished the bottom shell and colored it yellow. I also made all the supports black to simulate the CF. Hopefully I can finish the left and right side tomorrow or Saturday.

Nick
Old 09-02-2009, 06:20 PM
rotarydoc

Hey guys,

Nick, YEAH.....I caved in....lol.. Couldn't resist!

I figure as much as I fly my B400's it won't go to waste, that is for sure....they are going on the main B400....the other one is still 100% stock, with the exception of the bad ESC, which got replaced by a 100% stock Eflite ESC...that heli has to have at least 60 flights now...no servo failures yet...

That will make my main B400 even more of a pig than it already is...but it's kinda nice that way, more stable, and nicer in the wind... the stock one is quite peppy after flying the main one!

I just test flew the main one just before the upgrades, and it's flying super...so I'll have a nice baseline to compare it to...

I still had a bit of that shake in the tailboom, the left strut again...I watched it really close, and it reminded me of a rubber band twanging....and then it hit me...maybe the belt is twanging around in the boom...so I checked it, and sure enough, it was a tad bit loose...not alot, but it was more loose than I usually run it...tighened it up a tad....and it's smooth as silk now...that belt and pulleys must have 200+ flights, no fraying, no broken belts, nothing...have to give Eflite some credit on that...and I never lube the belt with silicone like some guys...

Anyways, I'm going to go get some fresh loctite for this project...mine is nearly out, and it looks kinda thin and watery...wondering if that had anything to do with the tail hub setscrew backing out....

JPEE,

I'll be curious how everyone's projects work out...

I know the Eflite stuff costs more $$$...but I'm thinking it will fit really nice, work just like the original stuff as far as geometry, setup, and what not...and I know I can always get replacement parts from Horizon or Efite, and most LHS's...

I'm mainly curious as to how well these parts will fare in a crash...I know it will make the heli fly better....as you pointed out, the stock B400's have a LOT of slop with the all plastic heads...even brand new...

Looking forward to hearing how yours works out as well!

I probably won't be doing the tail for a bit...as I am very happy with the tail on mine, and have yet to break anything in the tail in a crash, other than the normal bent tailshaft....

Glenn

Old 09-03-2009, 06:53 PM
rotarydoc

Hey guys,

Well, the Eflite CNC stuff is all installed!

Didn't quite go according to plan, however...a few snags, and they are actually both pretty surprising and disappointing, considering the price of the upgrade parts...

First up, opened the see saw holder, nice piece...looked it over...it comes with a bag of parts, ball studs, a center pivot bushing, and screws to hold the bearings in the rotor head (JPEE, those TINY little screws that always break off or get lost in a crash)...

WELL, it only had ONE of those little screws in the bag...and I was basically screwed at that point!! They are not the same as the stock screws, and are a very strange size, 2mm x about 2mm long...very short socket head cap screws...

I rummaged through all my spare stuff...nothing....finally remembered all the spare stuff from the Gaui...and finally found something that works...the screws are about 4mm long, but I had some nice brass spacers to use to get them to work OK. The end result is fine, but what a disappointment when I found that out...and the package had not been opened....

All went pretty smooth after that...until I got to the flybar cage....once I tightened down the cage assembly, it would bind...badly...I took it all back apart, looked at everything, all was OK, and the small stepped brass washers were in there correctly (they gave me new ones, so I am sure you are supposed to install them, just like stock)...

Checked to make sure the bearings were fully seated, and even tried it with only one shim/washer...which was better at least...

Ended up filing the see saw holder a tad bit on each end...and finally, with alot of fitting, trial and error....got it smooth and working well...

The end result is fine....it was just a disappointment for the cash outlay to have such quality control issues...[&o]

There was a geometry change I didn't know about on the flybar end mounts...and it requires a complete resetup of the head...no biggie, just figured if someone else reads this, they'll know...

At any rate, I just got done today with the setup, and squeezed in one short hover/flight before the football crew showed up at the baseball field and took over...

I must say, so far, it's very sweet....it hovers noticibly better, seems to track very well (it was a bit windy, hard to tell), and is very smooth overall....I think I'm gonna like it!!

Glenn
Old 09-03-2009, 07:43 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

Sorry to hear you had to go through all that, but glad the end result turned out good.

I got most of the shell done. I never learned how to do geometry in 3D, so I had to learn how to use 2D geometry to get the lengths right on the shell. The open spots are going to be the hardest, so I am leaving those till last. Then I just have a lot of little details left.

Nick

Name:	Eb86650.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	1268196   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44710.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	1268197  
Old 09-03-2009, 10:51 PM
JPEE

Nick,

Your CAD plane drawing is GREAT! main that is so cool to roll that animation around on the screen.....to cool, best of luck as you continue on the project..

Glenn,

Sorry you had to mess with the new Eflite head. Aint that just the way. Glenn MURPHYS LAW heli builder LOL. I just finished installing my two ptich and aileron servos. What a job. I had to pull the main gears to get my fingers in there to hold the aircraft nuts. I am pooped. Tomorrow it will be the Elevator servos and the boom and boom struts, then done.

Good luck on the 400, I'll bet it is SMOOOOOTH now.

JPEE

Name:	Ec89269.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	1268312   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55040.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	1268313   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt60860.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	1268314   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb76457.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	1268315  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.