Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 12:32 PM
evdreamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: are these blades any good for cp pro?

Glenn,

Have fun with the Quark.

I have snow.[&o]

Nick
Old 10-10-2009, 01:41 PM
rotarydoc

Nick,

Almost freedom time from work! Another 1/2 hour....

I may or may not come back up and fly the Quark...maybe during the week...once I get outa here, I don't like to come back..

Glad you can get the motor shaft separately, unlike the B400 motors, where once the shaft is worn/scarred, it's a throw away...although, it IS replaceable, you just can't get the part...

That area of the shaft was probably damaged by the bearing inner race spinning on it...the same way the B400 ones get damaged. I think the only way to prevent that would be to red loctite the inner race to the shaft....very carefully, so as not to get any in the bearing...or even CA...but I think I would rather use loctite....we do that on automotive wheel bearings sometimes.

Cool that you had enough left over for the 450 parts...I just could not imagine you going all winter without being able to do some indoor flying...

Glad that your instructor pointed you the right way on the voltage/motor issue....yeah, I get mad at myself if I overlook something that I know I could have figured out, had I taken the time and effort to do so...[&o]

Kinda rainy and cooler here, supposed to brighten up for the rest of the weekend...so maybe if the wind will cooperate, I'll get some flying in...

Hope you don't get too much snow...although, I always like the first snowfall of the year...it's pretty and all...but after a while, it gets old...not as fun as when you were a kid, making snowballs, sledding and stuff....lol...

Glenn
Old 10-10-2009, 02:33 PM
evdreamer

ORIGINAL: rotarydoc

I may or may not come back up and fly the Quark...maybe during the week...once I get outa here, I don't like to come back..
Glenn,

I can understand that.

It would definitely be a blow to the wallet with this size of motor if I couldn't replace the shaft. I would be a little nervous using red loctite for when I would need to replace the bearings because it would be a PITA to break the bond. I will try using CA when I get some new shafts and see how that goes.

Good to hear you will be getting some decent weather soon.

I just hope I don't get a lot of ice. There was a couple of times last year that I wish I had a 4WD vehicle.

Nick
Old 10-10-2009, 10:26 PM
J-MICHAEL

Nick ~

That's good then that its just the shaft. Remember when I just did a bunch of research on the Scorpion motors, and how I read that they use a softer shaft than most other manufacturers ? Well, I also then heard that because of the softer shafts, that when you have a bad bearing go out on ya, your most likely will need to replace the shaft as it gets ground down like yours did against that bad bearing and such. I heard they have a harder type shaft on Innovative's website from some to help so that you don't have to replace the shafts as often, but I never did look to see if that was true.

Yeah I guess it is nice to have a motor that is rebuildable huh ? My Scorpion motor for the 450 has been doing more than good and I abuse the crap outta it... But what got my cookie was the scoprion motor for the T-500 and hardly any use with it. But I'am at ease now with it... LMAO.... I guess there is some bad mojo with the motors for the 500 class that they put out. Hopefully they'll correct the situation, because I do like there motors.

Glenn ~

Yeah it was 28 degrees here this morning ! I was going to sneak a flight in with the T-450 and the T-500 but said, forget that !
Old 10-10-2009, 11:00 PM
evdreamer

Jeff,

The shaft is only $8.50, so that isn't too bad. It will be an interesting experience trying to get the old one out.

I built a simple Voltmeter with a resolution of 1V and goes from 0-9V, since I couldn't fly today.

You guys on the struggling thread sure passed us in a hurry.

Nick
Old 10-11-2009, 03:04 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

Did you use a rev limiter or governor on your Raptor?

Nick
Old 10-11-2009, 08:28 PM
rotarydoc

Hey guys,

Not much new here....a bit windy today...

So, what's to do on a windy day when you fly RC helis? ....go watch the local LAWNMOWER RACES!!

LOL, saw the sign yesterday, figured I'd go down the street for a look-see....looks like a heck of alot of fun if you are a participant! Not so great to watch, but interesting none the less...something to do...

I didn't stay too long...but I did notice that field they are racing on is alot bigger than I thought it was (it's walking distance from home), but it's on MOOSE lodge property...prob not welcome to fly there anyways...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5WsqAdLVy8

Nick,

Nah, no kind of engine speed limiter on the Raptor....why do you ask?

Jeff,

Yeah, that's a bit chilly for sure!! I remember flying in that kind of temps...your fingers/hands don't last long, esp if there is any kind of a breeze or wind...[X(]

Glenn

Old 10-11-2009, 09:38 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

I didn't realize there was lawn mower races up north. I thought they were only in the south.

I am contemplating on going Nitro this winter and was wondering if I could skip out on a rev limiter or governor for the time being. I couldn't afford the fuel with my past job, but now I can with my new one. I figured I could fly the Nitro while my 600 battery is charging. Then by the time the flight is over the battery would be done charging. Then I wouldn't have to worry about charging my 600 battery from my car battery at the heli fun flys next year. I think I got bit by the Nitro bug.

Nick
Old 10-11-2009, 09:43 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

That would be fun mowing a lawn with one of those!

Nick
Old 10-11-2009, 09:47 PM
evdreamer

Jeff,

Have you seen the new Rave 90E and the new Avant Aurora 90E helis to drool over?

Nick
Old 10-11-2009, 09:48 PM
rotarydoc

Nick,

COOL!

I think you'd love nitro....think of the flight times!

I asked Rob about that (the governor/limiter) on his 600N, and he does/did not run one at all...

From what I have read online, and while I was researching the Raptor stuff....it's NICE to have one, but definitely not a necessity...you could do fine without it, especially at first, until you got used to it some more...

It's a bit messy, for sure, just save your old T-shirts, get a spray bottle, fill it with denatured alcohol, and the cleanup is pretty easy...it's just that you never quite get those tiny cracks and crevices...it would drive Jeff bonkers...LMAO!![X(]

Last time I talked to Rob, he said the 600N was still for sale.....

I would much prefer that route than the Raptor if I did go nitro next year....those servos are so old and outdated on the Raptor, it would not even be worth the time to mess with them...

Keep us posted!

Glenn
Old 10-11-2009, 09:53 PM
rotarydoc

Nick,

Some of those lawnmowers are pretty speedy...

In the intermission, they had a noob doing his first solo around the track on an all stock one...what a slug compared to the race ones...didn't realize 'till I saw the stock one how fast the racing mowers get around there...

I have been spoiled by dirt bikes though....they are 10x more exciting to ride and watch than lawnmowers....but, those guys seem to get a kick out of it....and it's also about 10x safer too...

Some of those mowers have a considerable amount of money invested, by looking at them....

Glenn
Old 10-11-2009, 10:08 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

That is good to hear a good pilot like Rob doesn't need a governor to do 3D.

Yeah one of the guys I fly with always jokes with me while he is cleaning off his Raptor while I put my 600 in the car.

I was pricing parts to see how much a Nitro heli was going to cost me and I was looking for the JR servos that I have in my 600 and they don't even make them anymore! I just bought those earlier this year. I can still get the case, but not the gears.

I like riding my friend's dirt bike too. I think it would be fun to race anything with an engine.

Nick
Old 10-11-2009, 11:50 PM
rotarydoc

Nick,

That sucks that you can't even get parts for servos you got this last year! I can understand in my case with these old JR's in the Raptor, they are probably at least 5 years old...all I could find was some listed on old for sale postings in some forums...

I kinda miss RC car/truck racing....if there were an indoor offroad track like we used to have back in the day, I'd be on it...get a car and go racing! But, it seems that RC car/truck racing around here at least, has really died off...

That old indoor track was one of a kind....not many indoor off road/dirt oval/carpet tracks around anymore....and with a hobby shop up front as well...one huge issue though was keeping the carpet track clean.....dirt oval/offroad tracks and carpet tracks don't mix too well in an indoor environment....us dirt guys and the carpet guys never got along very well, kinda like plane and heli guys at the field sometimes...

I can say I do miss those days....and at that time, I was only racing, I was not involved in the hobby shop end of it like later on when I burned out...so it was alot more enjoyable, for sure.

Glenn
Old 10-12-2009, 12:05 AM
J-MICHAEL

You guys on the struggling thread sure passed us in a hurry.

Nick

Nick ~

I saw that.... But I'am not attached to any particular thread, I just venture where the action is, and where all my friends are. Its sometimes frustrating, because I find it very hard to keep up and cover all the threads that I want to be a part of.... But the Struggling Thread is also 6 months older, and so really this thread is still pretty active for being newer... Cool on the voltmeter you were working on. I hope also the old shaft for the motor isn't to hard to get out... Let us know how that goes in case we get to the point someday of having to do the same.

Yeah I haven't seen the new electric versions of the Rave and the Avant ! Awesome... I'd probably go for the Avant if I had to choose possibly. So why do you prefer the Nitro's then over say the gasser's like the Miniature Aircraft Spektra G's like Brog has over on the Struggling thread ?? I was just curious... I think he can run about 20 minutes on a tank from what it sounds like, and there is no smoky mess, or additonal field tools really since its a pull start kinda thing also. I'am pretty interested on that without a doubt, and the fuel is much cheaper than the Nitro fuel... But I also don't know anything about the Nitro's or the Gassers.

What JR servos did you have again for the 600 ? I remember you buying them, and they were the thing just not long ago I had thought ? Yeah with the advancing technology screaming by us with our RC's, you just can't keep up anymore it seems.... Crazy.... [&:]

Glenn ~

Yeah it was cold Saturday morning ! It was also cold this morning also (Sunday morning) but not as cold, but it was still 33 degrees with a tinge of frost on the grass. My fingers were frozen numb after flying 2 packs in the 450 and 2 packs in the 500. Burrrrr.....! Its weird, but I threw in my ol' Common-sense RC brushless motor 3500kv in the Trex with a 13t pinion using the Jazz esc, and the motor ran fine ?? Before I had a crash because it failed, and when trying to run it up before using 2 different esc's it only offered half the power, but it ran fine today ? What the hek ?? ! Weird stuff there ! I did have a bad bearing squeeling hardcore during the flights, and I'am guessing its my top main bearing since it was notchy after my last crash to the earth. But it could also be a bearing in the CS motor, or possibly even the one way bearing. I'll have to troubleshoot. I doubt its the motor bearing, since after the flights it was cool to the touch and not showing signs of any stress, but who knows.... All part of the fun of guessing and tinkering !

You should ask about that field at the Moose Lodge. You may be surprised that they may let you fly there on a certain day or time ya know ? I use to work for Budweiser a few years ago and was a salesman, and they were always a good bunch of guys at those different Moose Lodge organizations I'd go to in the different towns. Just a thought, but it might be worth your while to inquire ? Funny on the Lawmower races !

I saw Justin Chi's father browsing a few days ago on here and the Struggling Thread, and I was browsing his pictures in his gallery.... So when you said lawnmowers, I thought of his lawnmower that is "special".... Picture below.... [8D]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf97609.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	1293110  
Old 10-12-2009, 07:08 AM
evdreamer

Jeff,

I have the JR 8317's in my 600. There are some 8417's that are similar to mine, but are just faster.

Those MA's are expensive! If I remember right that gasser is a 90 sized and I have a feeling the airplane guys wouldn't give me a whole lot of chances to fly it on their field. Then the heli field isn't big enough to really fly a 90 sized. I think I remember reading that it was 3D capable, but I really wonder what it can do 3D wise.

That is cool that a famous dad is looking at our threads like Kyle's dad does. I like that Lotus in the background.

Nick
Old 10-12-2009, 01:43 PM
J-MICHAEL

Nick ~

Yeah I think those Spektra G's are cool though ! I don't think there to awfully expensive, but then again....! I think they must be a .90 size, as I remember Brian saying his blades were 690mm jobbers. He got a real good deal on his..... Yeah I would agree, it would be hard to find a place to fly something that big huh ? I noticed that with some of these AMA fields, and they look small it seems on the average ?? I watch Ivan's videos at his AMA field and there's hardly enough room it seems to even fly the heli out to do anything, except for some short little circuits ?? Kinda a bummer for some I suppose.... Eh...

Randy had linked us to a couple of vids for those MA Spektra G's... They seem like there pretty 3-D capable. I like that there's not much of any mess really, or toting around all that field equipment. And if I was to ever go for one, I like the fact you start it by a pull start ! So cool ! The other factor for me, would be if I went the scale fuslelage route, it would be better since there is hardly any smoke to make it more realistic, instead of looking like it got shot down by an air to air missile or something...(LMAO)...

How big are most the Nitro sizes then I wonder ? Like I said, I honestly don't know ?? I know and heard of the .30 and .50 sizes, and I think there were the .60 sizes, but not sure on that... I wonder what sizes are the Trex 700's by chance ? Nitro would be cool then since the .30 and .50 sizes seem more ideal size-wise for most our fields we fly at huh ?

I think it would be cool if you try a Nitro though... It would even make you more knowledgable through the whole spektrum of these heli's without a doubt.... Hek, you pretty much know everything related to the electric heli's ! Don't say you don't, because you really do ! [8D]

Here's those vids Randy showed us. I think the first one is the better one, but can't remember :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_04ISYnfuYk&feature=fvw

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_04ISYnfuYk&feature=fvw[/youtube]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhPDw...eature=related

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhPDwju_8p8&feature=related[/youtube]
Old 10-12-2009, 03:57 PM
evdreamer

Jeff,

All the Spektra G's I have seen are a grand as are the majority of the MA helis except their 450. I don't know if that includes the engine or not. My field is pretty big and then there is corn fields all around it. Jets normally fly there and they need a lot of room. It is just once there are 4+ people there they are flying the planes non stop and helis don't mix well with wooden planes. So there is another spot that isn't that big that is by the parking lot for helis when the planes are flying. But that faces south and west, so the sun is in my eyes when I am flying.

Henry Caldwell could sure fly that heli.

The 30 and 50 are basically the same size, but the 30 has a little shorter boom and blades. The 30's are starting to disappear because the 50 has more power. The 60 is basically a 90 with a little shorter boom and blades also. Those are also starting to disappear. The T-Rex 700 is a 90 size.

Nick
Old 10-12-2009, 08:44 PM
J-MICHAEL

Nick ~

Yeah, but you know a grand for a Spektra G seems like a lot, but hek, I'am pretty close to that with my 450, and you may be also ! So really, its not a bad deal considering then you also save from going gas instead of the expensive Nitro. Hek, I'll win the lottery and just take them all !! (I wish)....
Old 10-12-2009, 09:29 PM
evdreamer

JPEE has sure been quiet lately.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:42 PM
J-MICHAEL

Yeah he has huh ? The 9th was his last post on that mice in the garage thread... Heh... He's probably tinkering with that new plane ! I'll be quiet coming up here in the next few days, as the rivers open up for Salmon fishing. Usually when I do go to take a break, other than the fishing thing of course, I just will fade out nice and quietly.... But always will be back whether its in a few days, or a few months. I'll never leave this hobby or the forums. I think Randy did just that, and he just stepped out of the spotlight in a very quiet manner. He hasn't posted for a long time, nor even signed in. Its possible, that his recent crashes may have sent him over the edge in taking a break. I know things were also tight for him financially as they are also for me. Reason I also try and take it easy, and just fix what I can... Whatever it takes... Gotta stay in the air ! [8D]

I noticed all my You-Tube vids that were all HD earlier and all before even are not playing in HD now.... Eh...! I'am not fond of the reliability that You-Tube doesn't provide... I need to go back to Exposure Room, or Vimeo... You-Tube is getting old again... They always got some kind of issue going on it seems. I've never had any issues ever with Vimeo or Exposure Room.... Ok... Had to rant !

Take care Nick,
Old 10-12-2009, 10:02 PM
evdreamer

Jeff,

You want to send some Salmon this way! I love eating Salmon. Have fun fishing.

That is weird about Youtube. I never could watch the HD vids because it slowed my computer down too much.

Nick
Old 10-12-2009, 10:11 PM
J-MICHAEL

That is weird about Youtube. I never could watch the HD vids because it slowed my computer down too much.

Nick
Yeah same here... I never click the HD button for viewing, as the vids would be so clear anyhow... But just for normal viewing, right now there all blurry and smeared ? Maybe there just doing some maintenance or something ? All my vids don't even show the HD button there anymore, and the quality is HORRIBLE.... Yikes !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BFwmksyEZ0
Old 10-12-2009, 10:53 PM
rotarydoc

Hey guys,

Finally got a chance to catch up....took the day off of work, did some stuff aruond here for the furnace, gotta get ready, gonna get cold here soon...been lucky so far...not even frost yet....usually don't for another couple of weeks...but I should be ready now...

After that was done, I had the baseball field all to myself, and it was a perfect flying day by my standards...mid 50's...overcast, and no wind/sun (they go together around here..)...

The B400 flew like a champ....and the 450 also, as always...I even took the MSR outside for the first time...hmmmm...it does OK, the wind was about 2-3 MPH...it was struggling a bit...about like one would expect for a 1 OUNCE aircraft...LOL..

Went to take the Quark out as well....and made a grim discovery....I guess I left the TX on last time out....which is easy to do on these...and the batts leaked in the TX...what a mess! Gotta clean that all up when I get to it...fortunately, the XRB uses the same TX, so I swapped crystals (yeah, CRYSTALS...LMAO)...and went flying!

The Quark did fine in the wind...getting tossed around a bit in 3 MPH wind, but very managable...

I went back up with the 450...and tweaked it some....cut the expo in half to 10 on cyclic, and bumped the rudder travel adjust, lowered the gyro gain...and that combo really pepped it up alot!! It flies more like the lighter B400 now, doesn't feel as much like a 500 any more...

Yeah, I was just thinking about JPEE earlier....kinda worried, 'cause I have not seen him on Skype either...which he usually is, you can see when someone is logged in...hope all is OK...

I'll send him an email...see what's up...

Hope you guys got to fly some...

Interesting stuff on the gassers/nitro stuff!!! You know I'm all ears!!!

Glenn
Old 10-12-2009, 11:32 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

Good to hear you had a good flying day.

I didn't fly today. It was cloudy and in the 40's. The weekend looks like it will be really nice to go flying.

Nick

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.