Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 12:51 AM
evdreamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: are these blades any good for cp pro?

Jeff,

I have no idea what the weight is. It doesn't feel that heavy. And I am using the stock battery. I seem to have plenty of power with the brushless motor. I pretty much have the same setup as Kyle Stacy's CPP. Right now I kind of have a medium headspeed. If I increased it I might be able to increase the cyclic response some more.

Nick
Old 09-05-2008, 06:27 AM
J-MICHAEL

Nick ~

I'am betting then, that other guys who are into the performance of this heli are not using the stock 800mah 10c stock battery....I bet if ya tried something with a higher discharge and maybe even a smaller mah would put ya were you want to be....And the weight of course of the heli, would be the other half of the equation. Not sure what ya could do to eliminate weight without taking away key-components that are making it fly great like it is though...Lose the Gyro...?....NOT...! Find out what batts these guys are using, I find it hard to believe they are using the stock battery....It seems under-powered as it is as a RTF, and to be able to do 3-D like they claim out of the box. But what do I know, as I've never tried it !

Take care,

~ Jeff
Old 09-05-2008, 09:54 AM
evdreamer

Jeff,

I think Kyle Stacy uses a 730mAh Hyperion battery and I think John Adams from Spektrum uses a 730mAh Thunder Power battery. Now that you brought up the battery its max continous current is 8A and I think my max motor current is 13A. So I guess there is room for improvement. The GY240 gyro probably adds some weight compared to the G90, but the G90 wasn't holding that good without the 3in1 compared to the GY240.

Nick
Old 09-05-2008, 09:59 AM
evdreamer

I might get this 750mAh 20C battery for $12.57 hobbycity (Dot) com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=7292&Product_Name=Rhino_ 750mAh_3S_11.1v_20C_Lipoly_Pack or this 800mAh 20C battery for $10.90 hobbycity (Dot) com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=6784&Product_Name=ZIPPY_ 800mAh_3S1P_20C you just need to add www to the front and . before com of those addresses to go to the battery website
Old 09-05-2008, 10:40 AM
evdreamer

Well I crashed the CPP a few minutes ago. I had my video camera out to show an inverted hover, but once I went into the flip the CPP was shaking really bad and it went straight into a fence. Too bad I didn't get the shaking on film, but I got part of the flip on film. I think the cause is because of my bearing dampner. It doesn't look like the spindle is bent, but that seems to be the only good thing about that dampner. I am going back to the stock dampners. Then I broke the main and tail blades. The flybar looks like it is barely bent. The main gear survived. I will have to tear it apart to see the rest of the damage. My LHS doesn't carry the symmetrical blades, so I will have to order them. The servo gears also survived. But I need to stock up on crash parts when I am trying stuff like this.

Edit: I just tested the tail motor and main shaft and they aren't bent. The spindle wasn't bent either. So for a beginner the bearing dampners might be the way for them to go, so they don't bend spindles all the time. So the only thing broken in the crash are the blades and a slightly bent flybar. The paperclip pin worked great. It sheared off in the crash and was a lot easier to get the one out in the mainshaft. I just tapped it with an X-Acto knife and if fell out.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80798.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	1026635   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78397.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	1026636  
Old 09-05-2008, 11:45 AM
evdreamer

Well I ordered enough spare parts for 4 crashes on the CPP. Then I also got those 750mAh 20C Rhino batteries from hobbycity. I guess they are in Hong Kong, but with shipping it was still cheaper for two of those batteries for the price of one E-Flite battery. I have a spare flybar and I could put my plastic blades on in the mean time, so I could fly the CPP later today.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:35 PM
HeliStyle
My Feedback: (2)

at least it wasnt that bad of damage, could have been worse. Let us know how those batteries end up being when you get them, I was going to go fly today, perfect weather, but im going to see the new house and then going to go pay our catering service for the wedding another 900 bucks. Also I just recieved my other battery for my walkera 4#3b just came in from hong kong today
Old 09-05-2008, 01:04 PM
evdreamer

Yeah I will give you guys details on the batteries when they get here. I decided to do a grip flip since all the head assembly was apart. But I think the shipping said the batteries will be here in 10-20 days, but I don't need them right now so I can wait. I am dissapointed I can't do anymore inverted hovering anytime soon with the CPP. The rebuild was really quick and easy. I like that over the T-Rex because there are less parts and the setup is quicker and easier. I also leveled the swashplate out more, but one of the servos is still preventing it from being right on everytime. All I have to do is replace the tail rotor and put my plastic blades back on.

Nick
Old 09-05-2008, 03:09 PM
J-MICHAEL

Nick ~

Oh my..............! [X(] Sorry for the crash... But for you, its just a walk in the park huh ?! You'll probally get er' flying better than she was before, knowing you... I'am betting those higher discharge batts are going to make that CPP come alive...I know they will... I went the opposite direction...Instead of a lighter battery, with more horsepower (C-Rating) I had to go with stability for learning, so I use two Thunder Power 1320 mah 13c/cont 20c burst battery's for my CPP's. (17a/27a)... I'll use my stock ones sometimes but rarely when I do fly it. The TP's are popluar by some, as they lower the center of gravity for better stability in a learning curve, along with using the heavier super-skids... I wouldn't be trying any 3-D with that TP, as your CPP would just laugh at ya... (I'am sure ya already know this) Now that you'll get away from those stock E-Flites and pump up the jam with the ones ya ordered, I think you'll be much happier as advanced as you are with that heli....

Hope ya get it in the air soon.... BTW, you guys are really making me want to fire up my CPP's again !...LOL... The motor will probally smell like burnt dust, like an old heater being fired up after sitting for awhile...

~ Jeff
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vs55535.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	1026800   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89878.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	1026801  
Old 09-05-2008, 03:25 PM
rotarydoc

Hey Jeff,

Re; the Gaui, Hmmm, I wouldn't say it's harder to fly....it's just much easier to CRASH!! LOL

It is harder to fly than the CPP, yes. And exactly why, I am not quite sure. The best single word I can use to describe the Gaui is SLIPPERY. For example, I can hover it tail and side in, no problem. I can also fly it in nice little figure 8's, once I get it in the groove. But, sometimes, when I try the most mundane things, like nose in hovering, or a simple pirouette. it manages to find a way to get away from me...and very quickly, I might add. Sometimes I'm quick and experienced enough to save it from a crash, sometimes not. It's difficult to explain, really.

The CPP on the other hand, is relatively slow, and sluggish, and very easy to predict. Maybe that's another good word for the Gaui, it's somewhat unpredictable. The B400 just kinda lumbers around compared to those two, it seems like slow motion to me.

I have some ideas on the Gaui, though. I DO know that it is tail heavy at this time, I checked it the last time out in full flight trim. I am thinking that this may have a significant effect on it's behavior. I also am going to lower the head speed, I have no intention of doing any flips, (not intentionally, anyways..LOL) any time soon. So, it's got me thinking that I can tame it, because I really do enjoy flying it, but to be honest, I'm a nervous wreck during and after the flight!!

Let me send this so as not to lose it...

Glenn
Old 09-05-2008, 03:36 PM
rotarydoc

Hey Guys,

I just got some of this stuff from work, it's like sealing caulk for windows, very pliable, kinda like Play Dough, but it stays soft. I think it will make good ballast for the nose of the Guai for experimenting with the GG.

Another thing that came to mind is that the Gaui doesn't have the very low mounted battery like the CPP, which on the CPP makes for a really nice low CG weight hanging down low.

Plus the Gaui is just very, very light. I will have to weigh them in tonight if I think about it later on, and post the weight specs.

The wind is picking up here somewhat, not too bad yet, I'd love to get a feel for the headspeed adjustments on the Guai tonight, but I'm not going to fly it in the wind...that's just asking for a crash!

Glenn
Old 09-05-2008, 03:46 PM
evdreamer

Jeff,

Yeah I crashed this helicopter so many times I can assemble it in my sleep. But it is flying great now. It was raining earlier, so I couldn't test fly it outside but it hovered pretty good in my garage.

I was thinking that some people where using 1300+ mAh batteries on the 300 size and fixed pitches. I was thinking that some one was getting 15+ minutes of flight on a fixed pitch. That would be great if I could fly that long.

Nick
Old 09-05-2008, 03:47 PM
rotarydoc

Nick,

Sorry about the crash...the price of progress, I suppose! At least it was an easy rebuild. You were saying that you won't be able to try any more inverted flight? I guess your plastic blades are flat bottom?

Glad you found the batteries so cheap, sounds like a great deal, as long as you don't mind waiting.

Hope you can get that tail blade replaced without too much hassle getting the old one off, and the new one pressed on.

I am anxious to try to get the Gaui flying well, but it's already a bit breezy here. I might bring it up to the shop tomorrow afternoon, just to play with the headspeed settings.

Hope you can fly the T-Rex and have some fun with it.

Glenn
Old 09-05-2008, 03:49 PM
J-MICHAEL

It's difficult to explain, really.
Thanks Glenn...It was difficult for me to make an assumption about it also...That's why I had to ask... I've followed through with reading all your comments, even your build, but just still couldn't make a conclusion about it I guess... Since ya had it for a bit now, I thought it was fair that I should ask you, on what you really thought of it now... I'll have to shift my interests in other directions (Like there not already...Lol..) Its easy to get distracted in this hobby, and the Gaui wasn't helping, as I kept thinking about it in the back of my mind... Maybe in the future, after you master the tweaks, and I get better at flying, I may consider an interest in it again. Right now being still in a learning curve, I don't need any more crazy challenges....

Thanks ! I trust your judgements, and your opinions on a lot of stuff so that helped a lot....

~ Jeff
Old 09-05-2008, 03:53 PM
J-MICHAEL

Nick ~

I'am not sure how long that 1320 TP will last on the CPP...As it probally would, I never have done it, as my motors are still the stocked brushed... I didn't want to stress it with heat issues and such, and besides 20 minutes of the CPP may give me a heart attack ! Maybe as I get better....

~ Jeff
Old 09-05-2008, 03:53 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

I saw some Gaui 200 videos from some of the younger 3D pilots and one went inverted in his living room and stuck it on the ceiling. Then he left it there and went and got a drink and changed the channel. That was pretty cool. It seems that the younger 3D pilots are all friends.

Yeah my plastic blades are flat bottoms.

Since the batteries weren't a must have right now I chose to get cheap shipping around $7. If I wanted it sooner it would get expensive pretty fast.

I have a system of getting the tail blades of really easy then with my vise I can put them back on easily.

That stuff you got from work sounds like a good idea for the Gaui.

Yeah I will probably get some flights in with the T-Rex today.

Nick
Old 09-05-2008, 03:57 PM
evdreamer

Jeff,

Yeah it would probably be hard to concentrate for 20 minutes of flight with the CPP.

Nick
Old 09-05-2008, 04:01 PM
J-MICHAEL

Hey guys.......Speaking of younger 3-D pilots look at this vid http://www.runryder.com/?v=/helicopt...-JustinChi.wmv The little rascal started on a sim at 3 or so, and is 6 years old right now....He's been flying for two years...He's flying killer 3-D right now, and in that video among that, he's just getting over from being sick, and that particular heli was the first time he's flown it........! Very impressive, and he's gonna give Kyle Stacy a bad rep I'am thinking...Lol..!

I'am happy for him, because he's got a great future in this hobby with lots of years of enjoyment from it........

~ Jeff
Old 09-05-2008, 04:34 PM
evdreamer

Jeff,

I was thinking when he was younger he had to use his palms to fly since his hands weren't big enough to fit around the transmitter.

I just increased the swashmix to 90% from 60% on the T-Rex and I am pretty confident it will flip in one spot now. I just did some 90 degree flips and it got there very quick. But when I am hovering I can't use as much stick as I used too. I also did a pretty good funnel and this time I was in control. And the CPP was the helicopter that taught me how to control a funnel.

When I was flying the CPP I could hear the motor bogging down. I didn't bother checking when I had wooden blades on, but it could just be my heavy plastic blades. Now the CPP seems to react slowly compared to when I had the bearing dampners in.

Nick
Old 09-05-2008, 06:26 PM
HeliStyle
My Feedback: (2)

i wont be flying this weekend with the cp pro, im getting the hurricane tommorrw afternoon, suppose to be like 60-70 mph winds, I bet the cp pro would be pretty unstable in that lol
Old 09-05-2008, 06:56 PM
rotarydoc

Hey Heli,

Yeah, I am already getting the outer bands here in Maryland. It started raining lightly about a half hour ago. So, no flying here either, until Sunday anyways.

LOL, yeah, the CPP would have a hard time in this wind...probably could get inverted without even trying!

Hope you can fly the Walkera inside. I'm gonna do a simulator marathon tomorrow afternoon...LOL

Glenn
Old 09-05-2008, 07:04 PM
rotarydoc

Jeff,

You are welcome for the opinions on the Gaui, I hope it helped. Yeah, if you are looking for a small bird that is easier to fly than a CPP, I wouldn't suggest a Gaui. Plus the fact that like the CPP's, it is very easliy upset by wind, limiting your flying time with it.

I am going to keep at it, and if I come up with some mods that tame the beast somewhat, I'll be sure to let you know.

I did do a very, very short and preliminary test flight with the CG very close, much better than it was, by placing approximately 10 grams of "putty" in the nose of the canopy. I also reduced the head speed somewhat as well. I got about 5 minutes of flight in light rain and some wind. The initial results seem to be pretty promising. But I'll have to do more testing to make a solid conclusion.

But, the fringes of tropical storm Hanna are here...so no more flying until at least Sunday.

Hope all you guys get some flying in this weekend, except for Heli, who is in the same boat as I am (and we may be in boats before it's all over..LOL).

Happy flying!

Glenn
Old 09-05-2008, 07:10 PM
rotarydoc

Jeff,

BTW, thanks for the trust in my judgement and opinions, I try to do my best to describe what I think about things.

As I learn, I think I get a little better judgement as well, as I think we all do.

I remember saying in my much earlier days that I thought that the Heli Max Axe CP on G4 was impossible to fly, and that no real RC helicopter could be that difficult to fly...boy, things sure are different now! I can fly it forwards, nose in, backwards, upside down, and land it on the picnic tables at Alpine Meadows...(ever done that, it's quite a challenge, and darn good practice!)

So, as we learn and advance, I think our judgement and opinions improve as well...

Take care,

Glenn
Old 09-05-2008, 07:17 PM
rotarydoc

Nick,

That sounds pretty cool on the Gaui vids...pretty funny too, with the heli stuck to the ceiling, I guess there is no reason why it wouldn't work...

Yeah, I'll bet the extra weight of the plastic blades is bogging the motor, and slowing the cyclic as well.

That is cool that you are experimenting with the T-Rex and the swash mix to get faster flipping.

The putty that I put in the Gaui's canopy definately helps get the CG much better, and only adds 10 grams of weight, which I think will help smooth it out some too.

I only had about 5 minutes of rainy, windy flight to test it, so I can't make any judgements just yet on it.

Hope you enjoy your flying today, and be safe.

Glenn
Old 09-05-2008, 07:33 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

Yeah the T-Rex is a lot of fun with the new settings. I tried doing a funnel the opposite way that I normally do. It went ok and I was some what in control.

Good to hear the putty worked.

Too bad you couldn't fly more today.

I only got three flights in today. I wanted to fly more, but I didn't plan on crashing the CPP.

Nick

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.