Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2021, 08:31 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 167 Likes on 140 Posts

Donny, weren't you considering moving to Arizona or even to the Caribbean? Either option sounds like a real adventure to me, mind you, you'd have to learn how to drive on the left in the English speaking Caribbean countries!

The property tax on my home was 737€ last year. (£636 Sterling. $899 US.)

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 05-26-2021 at 09:07 PM.
Old 05-27-2021, 03:04 AM
donnyman

Received 128 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
Donny, weren't you considering moving to Arizona or even to the Caribbean? Either option sounds like a real adventure to me, mind you, you'd have to learn how to drive on the left in the English speaking Caribbean countries!

The property tax on my home was 737€ last year. (£636 Sterling. $899 US.)
All my options are still on the table but our means of transportation was mangled when a person I trusted to make repairs to my motorhome charged me over $600 just to make a nasty mess in it and disconnect the battery charging system. I am afraid to have him make amends for fear of further damage, until that is resolved my home searching is limited. but the Caribbean will be visited.

your taxes are more in line with mine but lower.
Old 05-27-2021, 05:04 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 284 Likes on 246 Posts

My taxes run about $1200 a year.
Old 05-27-2021, 05:27 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Pretty sad when the taxes are more than the mortgage. Thankfully my county is still Republican, the two counties surrounding mine are staunch Democrat, Taxes on either side are 30% or more higher. Whats funny is I can tell when leaving the county into the Democrat one to the west, the road goes from smooth to potholed. In the winter there is a solid line of snow right at the county line, my county clears the snow right away and keeps the road clean while the other county barely clears it hours after the snow fall is over. Thats Hellinois for you, tax the crap out of you and pocket the cash, because they sure aren't using it for the roads. Reminds me of that cartoon from way way back where the guy is showing off his new car with fancy option, one which is getting a clean shave. As he is driving on a smooth road he is shaving, then the road turns rough, and when it was over he got a clean shave, then tipped his hat and his head came off with it. Yeah, that exactly how the road is. It's Tex Every Car of Tomorrow.
Old 05-27-2021, 06:00 AM
FlyerInOKC

If my taxes were a $1 they would be still be hired I'm paid off. Around here you tell the Republican counties by the bad roads. They are too busy passing stupid laws like the Bigfoot Bounty or BS bills they know are unconstitutional to do any real work. Quite frankly with the economy tanking, employment in the basement since 2019 I couldn't care less about abortion, guns rights, or any other BS nonstarter issue the legislature is enameled about. We passed term limits for a reason and I think we didn't make them short enough. Republicans use to be for the rule of law what happened? Now they block an investigation on blatant sedition? Where are Eisenhowers, the Reagans, even Nixon post Watergate is better than the current lot. Ronnie but be spinning in his grave like a wide open 2 cycle engine.
Old 05-27-2021, 08:28 AM
acdii

I agree, too many RINO's in the Republican party, Our entire political system needs a major overhaul. Not all Democrats are foul and not all Republicans are Conservative. It varies by county and by state. We really need national term limits, quite a few of those old foul hens in Congress have to be purged.

But anyway, watching international news, I feel like our country is the Titanic full speed ahead with no one on watch, or at the wheel and heading towards the ice fields. Pretty sad when news agencies from overseas can see it, but our own media can't, or won't.

With Hyperinflation hitting many areas, prices of good going through the roof, especially home building materials, and lack of people willing to work, heck I read somewhere that people on unemployment are making $16 an hour, why bother looking for a job? I'm in limbo on my home decisions. I want to refinance, take advantage of the low rates, use some of the equity to improve the home so I can sell it, but the costs to improve it are too damned high right now, so do I do the refinance now, put the money aside until the market settles down, and then get the work done, or wait until next year? Once the house is fixed, will I want to sell it, do I take a chance and stay. With still having one horse, it complicate things too. Do I invest in property in Wisconsin close to my work, and how do I figure it into my retirement plans. Way too many things to consider here. I really want to vacate Illinois before they tax us into oblivion.

Then last night my wife got bad news. Her father was diagnosed with brain cancer. He has been fighting lung cancer all last year and was just about done with all treatments, then he started getting a headache that lasted 6 days, he went in yesterday for the headaches and was diagnosed. They admitted him last night and today found 4 tumors. He goes in for surgery tonight. They live 20 minutes south of us and were planning to sell and move to Tennessee within the year. We were supposed to go there Memorial day and I was going to discuss what to do with him since he is a smart businessman, and is well versed in real estate. He owned a gas station, a towing company and a highly rated auto body shop that was exclusive to a high end dealership for repairs. I just hope we still have that chance to talk about it. My wife is devastated, and having a 15YO daughter who adores me, I know what she is going through. I know if something were to happen to me, my daughter would be a complete basket case.

Waiting until I was in my 40's to have kids has it's downsides. Will I see her find love and get married, would I have grandkids, will I be around then? It's crazy, but it's something I think about now. I look towards our future 10 years from now, when I can retire, get out there and LIVE, and hope for a long life, but then, you never know if the big C will strike you down.
Old 05-27-2021, 08:39 AM
FlyerInOKC

I know what you mean my Dad was 39 when I was born, his father was 45 when he was born. My Dad passed in 1986 at the age of 66. At least he got to see 2 of his 4 grandsons. His father only made it to 52 and his was mom was 39 when she passed. Farm life was hard in those days.
Old 05-27-2021, 09:46 AM
acdii

I have no idea who my bio is, but my step father passed when I was 19. He died from Pancreatic cancer, and I watched him waste away. He was a contractor, big guy, 6ft tall, very little flab, all muscle and he just wasted away to skin and bone. My hope is my kids don't go through that with either my wife, me or their grandparents. At least they have grandparents, I only knew my one grandfather until I was about 3 when he passed. Some kids don't know how lucky they are to have grandparents on both sides. We haven't said anything to them yet until we have all the information.
Old 05-27-2021, 08:38 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Sorry to hear your news acdii.

Old 05-28-2021, 02:42 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 91 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
I have no idea who my bio is, but my step father passed when I was 19. He died from Pancreatic cancer, and I watched him waste away. He was a contractor, big guy, 6ft tall, very little flab, all muscle and he just wasted away to skin and bone. My hope is my kids don't go through that with either my wife, me or their grandparents. At least they have grandparents, I only knew my one grandfather until I was about 3 when he passed. Some kids don't know how lucky they are to have grandparents on both sides. We haven't said anything to them yet until we have all the information.
My condolences for the passing of your father. You are not alone, I was 4 when grandpa on my father's side passed due to throat cancer. Never saw my grandpa nor pa on my mother's side, they passed also. Did get to see my great grandma on my father's side though. She had a small mom&pop grocery and variety store in a small town, upstairs was living space, downstairs was the store. That was in the 1960's, I gather among the last of small single family owned stores. Seems though things cost a little more, it was more like community yet we could afford them, not the impersonal current experiences.

Last edited by GallopingGhostler; 05-28-2021 at 02:45 AM.
Old 05-29-2021, 09:09 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Lovely day yesterday. I went flying in the afternoon. I had three training flights with Frans and one flight with my reserve Baron, Boris. Frans managed three good landings, admittedly not on our ten metre wide tarmac strip but on the grass "glider strip" alongside. It's good to see one's trainees making progress!

Speaking of gliders another clubmate, Bertrand, an experienced flyer, turned up with a new ARTF electric powered glider and a new Graupner transmitter. He's just retired and sold his flat in Paris so he's in funds! These gliders are very popular in France and can cost over 1000€ (£859 Sterling or $1219 US.) This one had all of the bells and whistles, a V tail, a very powerful electric motor, ailerons and air brakes. He flew so high that he lost sight of it! I have the best eyes in the club but I couldn't see it. A search party of three went out to look for it but a fair old breeze was blowing so I expect that it landed miles away from where it was last seen. Bertrand hadn't enabled the GPS function of his new radio, neither had he put his name and address on the model. This is not the first time that this has happened! Fortunately ours is the only model flying club in the area and we are quite well known so I suppose he'll get it back eventually.

Another new member, Michel, who has a private pilot's licence, asked me about the OS fourstroke engine I have in my Baron. He has a friend who is interested in mechanical matters and who would like to see a fourstroke model aeroplane engine. I have a Thunder Tigre 91 in pieces in its box so I suppose that we could rebuild it in the clubhouse.

Good weather is forecast so I'll be going flying again. Timmi, the son of Frans, has requested a couple of instruction flights. As Timmi and I are the only active Mode 2 pilots in the club it's up to me to help him make progress!

It's going to be a busy day that's for sure!
Old 05-31-2021, 07:45 PM
FlyerInOKC

I got some building in this weekend. Remade a tail gear with a smaller size wire and got the wheel mount. I put the building crutch on the building jig and started to glue up formers. David does this jig look familiar? I have it sitting on the workbench in the garage to dry and for safe keeping.

Old 06-01-2021, 12:08 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

La Coupe Des Barons takes place at Jonage this year on 12th June. This will be 70 miles (113kms) closer to my home but probably in flatter less attractive country than at Ste Marie d'Alloix because the venue is fairly close to the airport at Lyon, France's second largest city.

I'm giving my entry a cosmetic makeover. I've already booked my hotel room but some of my clubmates appear to be getting cold feet!

Several others have also dropped out. I originally had the 73rd spot on a list of 80 entrants but now I'm 59th. All of the waiting list has been absorbed. I suspect that Covid 19 has something to do with it.
Old 06-01-2021, 04:34 AM
FlyerInOKC

Well good luck this year in the Coupe Des Baron! It always looks to be great fun!
Old 06-01-2021, 05:52 AM
FlyerInOKC

Hey Donny, if you want to lighten up your engine storage a bit I saw this ad: https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/market/11690665

Mike
Old 06-01-2021, 01:15 PM
donnyman

Received 128 Likes on 100 Posts

Now that is a sneaky way to get parts, I am not sure what my next Wankel project will be but I ain't sellin! I Like them too much.
Old 06-01-2021, 01:37 PM
FlyerInOKC

Yes it is!
Old 06-01-2021, 09:11 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Originally Posted by donnyman
Now that is a sneaky way to get parts, I am not sure what my next Wankel project will be but I ain't sellin! I Like them too much.
There is a prominent member of one of my neighbouring clubs who has an OS Wankel engine in a Baron.
Old 06-01-2021, 09:44 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

I had a busy weekend instructing both father and son!

As Timmi has opted to fly Mode 2 and is confident in his abilities we are using the old "grab-the-transmitter" mode of instruction!

With Frans he has chosen to fly Mode 1 like every other member of the club so he buddies up to my transmitter.

Frans and your humble servant with his Junior 60 which we built together.

Timmi about to take off with his ARTF while his father films the proceedings.
Old 06-02-2021, 05:18 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
There is a prominent member of one of my neighbouring clubs who has an OS Wankel engine in a Baron.
Which generation Wankel is he using David? I owned the first generation and put it on a Midwest Sweet Stik, it bled more fuel than it ever burned. If I made another go of it I would probably stick with Generation 3. I always found it to be an interesting design.
Old 06-02-2021, 09:07 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

I don't know which generation Wankel it is Mike but we are holding an Inter-Clubs/ Fly-In on 19th June so I could arrange to ask the owner then. However, I have received orders from Miss Blue Eyes to return ro England after La Coupe so I may not be able to make it!
Old 06-02-2021, 09:39 AM
FlyerInOKC

If you remember seeing the engine you may be able to tell us. The first generation (1970) had a separate cooling ring around the engine block the second (1982) and third (2007) generations had no cooling ring. Gen 1 had an air bled carb, Gen 2 had an new carb I don't remember if it had 1 or 2 needles and Gen 3 had a new carb with velocity stack, offset high speed needle, and an idle needle. The spinner nut was dropped to a standard black nut and washer with the drive hub changed to black also. Like to the file showing the line up. https://www.os-engines.co.jp/english....1936_2020.pdf Check out the jet engine in 1947!

Last edited by FlyerInOKC; 06-02-2021 at 09:46 AM.
Old 06-03-2021, 03:15 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 91 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Like to the file showing the line up. https://www.os-engines.co.jp/english....1936_2020.pdf Check out the jet engine in 1947!
I had to take note of this OS historical lineup poster, thanks for pointing it out. I always thought my OS Max-10R/C was 1965, based on Peter Chinn's magazine article on it (Sceptre Flight, AU Model Engine Tests Index), but the poster shows it dated back one year to that of 1964. Also, I thought my OS Max-15R/C was around the same vintage because of its lineage from the 10R/C, with baffle piston and cross scavenged, but the poster shows 1975, 10 years later. Peter Chinn's Dec. 1976 Model Airplane News article, Sceptre Flight - OS Max-15R/C Review supports the later date.

OS came out with a newer version of the Dyna Jet like pulse jet 11 years later in 1958, it still must have been popular.
Old 06-03-2021, 07:53 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Bertie and I are ready for La Coupe Des Barons!

Old 06-03-2021, 09:25 AM
FlyerInOKC

Good luck David and to Bertie too!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.