Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 11:10 PM
rotarydoc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: are these blades any good for cp pro?

Nick,

Sounds good...glad it was just the glow starter....the glow plugs draw a fairly hefty current, since they are basically a controlled short circuit, kinda like an automobile cigarette lighter....I accidentally left mine on the Raptor, and it killed it pretty quickly...

Must be a good sized tank, glad you are getting such great flight times...

Hope everyone stays home for Halloween for you tomorrow...

Glenn
Old 10-30-2009, 11:10 PM
J-MICHAEL

Nick ~

Wow 14 minutes....! Awesome.... [8D] Sorry to hear of the starting probs, but you'll get her squared away... Like are electrics, there's always room for improvement and I know you'll find it with the Nitro also.

JPEE ~

I have that same little tool for grasping things ! Although I never use it really, but its nice to have though just in case... What I do use all the time is that pen with the little magnent (SP?) on the top... Its great for getting that little grub screw or tiny little washer from areas where ya dropped it inside the heli for instance... Or for getting that tiny washer out of one of your bins that ya just can't get ! I love it....

Dang that was a nasty crash huh ? Yikes batman ! You'll never see me place a gyro on the back-end whether on top of the boomblock or the bottom... I like them protected under the fiberglass canopies which there supported by cnc canopy posts, and they never budge in a crash. And the gyro's are protected inbetween the frames of the craft. Of course, anything can happen, but I feel there protected there the best. The gyro should be fine I bet... Hek, now ya can gut that heavy case like me ! LOL !

Glenn might be seeing "double" when he's looking at your pics.... Not sure though........
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44804.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	1305284  
Old 10-30-2009, 11:21 PM
evdreamer

Jeff,

I like the gyro up front on my 450 too. It makes it quicker to replace the crown gears when I strip them.

Glenn,

Leaving the glow starter on too long might be the reason it didn't last long like you brought up. If I put it on at the last minute it might last a little longer. A few times it got pretty hot.

Nick
Old 10-31-2009, 03:08 AM
Aframomum
My Feedback: (10)

Hi all,

JPEE,
Sorry to hear about the B400. Hopefully not too much damage when you get it all apart. Your not taking any of Glenn's meds are you?

Jeff,
Have to check the video when I get home in the morning. I also use the Axe paddles on my 450, and I did notice a big difference over the stock Align paddles.

After my last crash I upgraded my head with an EXI V3 metal head from Xheli. It looks really nice and replaces my mix-motch of plastic and metal frakenhead I have now, however with the V3 thrust bearings and new Align dampeners, I think my headspeed is a bit low b/c I get a wicked shake in the tail during a hover. I run a standard Align 430 w/ 13T pinion but I'm sure it's nearing the end of its life so I've been doing a bit of searching for replacement motors. Been looking at the Scorpion -8 (don't want to replace the Align ESC for a -6), Hacker, and Align 450M. Bearing replacement is also a concern with the motors - guess I'm a bit of a lazy butt and just want to fly and not constantly worry about bearing failure from lack of oiling. So that decision is still up in the air.

Also decided against getting the TT upgrade for the 450 - my last crash and rebuild got me thinking about the extra time it would take to replace gears and all. Really love my son but (don't you dare tell my wife this ) I find my repair time 'very' limited now during his awake hours.

Glenn,
Glad to see your getting some sleep and enjoy your sim on your mondo big TV screen!

Oh yeah, almost forgot...

Happy Halloween everyone!!

Mark
Old 10-31-2009, 07:54 AM
JPEE

Jeff, I agree with everything you said but............on a Blade 400 there is no place up front to place the gyro. But after crashing the 500 and 600's it makes sence so I think I wil look at a relocation on those helis.

Mark,
No meds just high on life LOL. Thanks for the good wishes on the 400 too. I will 400-2 off the ready shelf, she only needs a new tail servo and she is ready to fly.
I'll hold 400-1 for a rainy day rebuild.

JPEE
Old 10-31-2009, 10:22 AM
J-MICHAEL

I also use the Axe paddles on my 450, and I did notice a big difference over the stock Align paddles.

Mark ~

I bet...! There is nothing better than a lighter padd that's for sure. And I hardly notice any stability diffs at least for me, as you may tell from my vids. She just purrs so smooth, and I'am addicted to them light jobbers like yourself... Cool....! I'am going to order some for sure, at least for my CPP's... I have a bunch of CPP paddles already laying around, and so I've been tinkering with those. Yesterday I notched out 2 bigger holes in 1 set and lost some weight, and took her for a spin in the yard, and it felt really good... I did have to drop my gain down a few points, but all went well. This was with the holes exposed among that. Now I covered them with packing tape, and balanced them out. Can't wait to take her for a test run at the field when (or if) it stops raining ! I've done 3 smaller holes before in one set, but by reducing the outer diameter of the paddle it actually made the response slower... This time I kept the paddle the same dimensions, but deducted just the weight from the center portions of the paddle.

http://www.raptortechnique.com/paddles-quick.htm

I'am wondering if maybe the CPP paddles have a bigger surface area than the Axe CP padds, thus making them more responsive once I have dropped the weight down to the Axe's specs of 2.5 g's... I'll guess I'll see once I get some on order. I'am thinking maybe possibly ??

http://www.4dproducts.co.za/c96/Flybar-Setup.aspx

The flybar response can be tuned as follows:

Faster response

- Lighter paddles
- Larger paddles
- Faster RPM/headspeed
- Longer flybar (more leverage until flex becomes a negating factor)
- Rearward CG of the paddle
- Sharper leading edge for more bite

Slower response

- Heavier paddles
- Smaller paddles
- Less RPM/Lower headspeed
- Shorter flybar (good to a point before the flybar system is too light)
- Foreword CG of the paddle
- Less sharp leading edge

Well, if your worried about bearing replacement, the Scorpion motors are notorious for that, as you may have found out doing some research, but with the 450 size motors not so bad... I beat my -6 and it still purrs like a kitty, with constant lubing that is of course. The Hacker series motors are of excellent quality also. The Hacker A20-6XL is one that is popular. The -8 V2 Scorpion is a popular one and many still run it on there Align 35 amp esc's... That motor is also a power hog with MANY over on Helifreak running a 4s set-up. There are even a few who do run the -6 Scorp with there Align 35 amp esc's also which is amazing, but I think they also have there current limiting disabled. Bob O, on Helifreak is one who uses the Scorpion -6 still with an 11t pinion with his Align 35 amper, and never any probs in governor mode at a 3400 headspeed. I also like the Steve Neu motors... The Scorpion motors are a breeze to take apart however for servicing.... One of the easier ones out there for a rebuildable motor....

Speaking of the Scorpion motors, I have mine soldered hot to a direct-line connection to the Castle esc.... For testing and having to disable the motor for head-setup I just disconnect the esc from the RX, and then plug in my other Castle esc to use with the battery for any power then to setup the bird. Its amazing how much just the terminals weigh from just the Scorp motor ! Almost as much as 1 of my stock CPP paddles.... Crazy.... I should get even less resistance this way, and both the motor and esc can be removed from the craft the way I have it setup. I know, I'am a black sheep....

Good to see ya still tinkering with the heli's although your time is soaked up with the little one !

Take care,

~ Jeff
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay76035.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	176.4 KB
ID:	1305414   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53226.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	1305415   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn38003.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	1305416   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47711.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	1305417  
Old 10-31-2009, 10:23 AM
J-MICHAEL

on a Blade 400 there is no place up front to place the gyro.

JPEE ~

Aha.... I see.... Well then how bout on the head button...?? ! That should confuse the gyro a bit eh ?? !
Old 10-31-2009, 12:03 PM
evdreamer

JPEE,

Maybe you should get a JR 770 gyro or the new smaller one because it would be hard to punch a hole through one of those, since they have a metal case.

Nick
Old 10-31-2009, 01:03 PM
J-MICHAEL

JPEE,

Maybe you should get a JR 770 gyro or the new smaller one because it would be hard to punch a hole through one of those, since they have a metal case.

Nick

LOL.... Only thing is if he throws on a 30 gram gyro on that B-400 that tail-end will drop like a rock ! I've heard good things about the Align GP750 though... Or the 8 gram Hitec gyro guys have been liking.... [8D] There so small, it would be hard to even hit it !

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=171204

Is your gyro fine JPEE ?? I'am betting so.... Hey, now ya have some good ol' ventilation !
Old 10-31-2009, 02:07 PM
jroo

Hi all!

Well I've been reading this post for the past few weeks and decided to join in, trying to get through the up-teen zillion pages. I have a Blade 400 and just finished my 19th battery pack in hover practice. While practicing in my front yard during the 18th pack, I lost control a little, but was able to circle back around a tree in my front yard, missing my house, and just clipping some of the leaves. Damage was minimal, only cutting a little of the plastic wrap on the wooden blades.
Well I fixed the blades with clear packing tape, and rebalanced.

During packs 15-18, I noticed that my tracking was pretty bad, but I never investigated it. I am pretty sure that during the a previous repair of the main shaft, I put the rotors on the wrong grips. During the repair this time, I switched the sides that the rotors were in.

Well, pack 19 was awesome! My tracking is absolutely dead on, and I'm hovering completely hands-off. It is dialed in perfectly! Wohooo!
Old 10-31-2009, 04:12 PM
JPEE

Hey Guys,

Jreue, welcome to our little home here! You'll get that puppy set up, you MUST take the time to do your set up and repairs, it will help sooooo much later on.

Jeff, Nick,
I dont have time to play the 401 gyro until next week so I am taking out 400-2 tomorrow fopr our weekly fly. But regarding gyros, a guy told me about this one. He bought it put it on a Blade 400, and a Shark Heli and the sucker holds. I flew it and it hold rock solid BUT..........is is s low flier and has lower than normal head speed which genrally makes a tail slip. He talked the other guy in our group that has a 400 too and he put his on and that holds well too. They cost $20.00 plus shipping at XHeli and $29.00 at:

http://www.rk2trade.com/rk2trade/pro...roducts_id=271

BTW how much are those 401B's everyone talks about?

JPEE
Old 10-31-2009, 06:26 PM
evdreamer

Welcome Jreue.

Guys,

I just got back from flying. The weather was perfect. It was a little windy at first, but then it calmed down. I got about six flights in for a total of an hour. I figured I can get 9 flights per gallon. My flight time went down to 9:30 when I started doing 3D. It has plenty of power and it is pretty sensitive, so it will take some time to get used to. I really need a bigger receiver battery. Mine only lasts two flights. Luckily I brought a Gaui battery while my other one was on the charger. My glow starter worked great all day and so did the starter. I had an interesting thing happen to me while flying. My gyro ripped off the tape in flight, so it was moving all over the heli. That made it fun trying to bring it back in one piece. Luckily I had some really sticky and strong gyro tape with me, so I was able to get two more flights in. I got some video of me flying. I haven't looked at it yet, to see how good it is. I also took some pics of my field to.

Nick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Fd90903.JPG (1.37 MB, 20 views)
Fd91021.JPG (1.01 MB, 23 views)
Nl30367.JPG (1.24 MB, 21 views)
Qo41093.JPG (1.11 MB, 25 views)
Old 10-31-2009, 09:05 PM
JPEE

ORIGINAL: evdreamer

Welcome Jreue.

Guys,

I just got back from flying. The weather was perfect. It was a little windy at first, but then it calmed down. I got about six flights in for a total of an hour. I figured I can get 9 flights per gallon. My flight time went down to 9:30 when I started doing 3D. It has plenty of power and it is pretty sensitive, so it will take some time to get used to. I really need a bigger receiver battery. Mine only lasts two flights. Luckily I brought a Gaui battery while my other one was on the charger. My glow starter worked great all day and so did the starter. I had an interesting thing happen to me while flying. My gyro ripped off the tape in flight, so it was moving all over the heli. That made it fun trying to bring it back in one piece. Luckily I had some really sticky and strong gyro tape with me, so I was able to get two more flights in. I got some video of me flying. I haven't looked at it yet, to see how good it is. I also took some pics of my field to.

Nick
Nick,

What great news, you had a perfect day! Happy for you man. WOW on the fuel, YIKES in fact, ya all better start savin aluminum cans for gas money LOL
Your fly Park is just beautiful, wow what scenery to fly in, you lucky dog.

ME:
I just loaded the truck for tomorrows fly, three helis and a plane WHAT FUN! I took the 600 back out this morning and it appears the new bushings and black dampners tightend up the head and the blades stayed in tracking. My Blade 400-2 needed a new tail servo and I looked through all of my junk and had one. Installed that puppy and re-set the trims and I have a flying 400 with 65MGs but a standard head. Good enough for tomorrow. Next week I'll strip the CNC off 400-1 and bring them over. This heli was totally rebuilt a short time ago including and it has been on the shelf since then, I forgot how I wacked the servo though.....I am old....I am allowed to forget LOL
JPEE
Old 10-31-2009, 09:15 PM
evdreamer

JPEE,

I would have kept flying, but the fuel ran out too quick. I cleaned the Velocity at the field and when I got home I saw there were plenty more spots that I missed. The fuel and oil got everywhere on the heli. I plan on getting another gallon tomorrrow, so I can fly in some more good weather.

Have fun tomorrow. Good to hear your 400 and 600 are back together.

Here are my vids from today. The heli isn't very clear, but you guys can get the idea on how it performs. I will try and get some clearer vids sometime soon.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgkGILSX5lk[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AkImf3xfZI[/youtube]

Nick
Old 10-31-2009, 09:30 PM
rotarydoc

Hey guys,

Happy Halloween...I just got up from a nap...didn't quite feel up to answering the door for the trick or treaters, so I just turned all the lights off, and played Halloween scrooge this year...lol..[&o]

Oh well, I'll hand out doubles next year...

I just took one of them pills....so I better get this post in soon...lol...nah, they aren't that bad, just make me really drowsy...and of course in less pain...

Jreue,

Welcome to our little thread, hopefully you have a nice backround on everyone by now, depending on how far back you went in time....it's actually very cool, kinda like an online diary, if I ever want to recall like when I got my 500 for example, it's all here...

I think you'll find some great guys here, glad you stopped in to see us!

Jeff,

Glad to see ya on here more......

I have yet to experiment with paddles and such, sounds kinda cool...I have been reading up on the back issues of RC Heli, very interesting reading, for sure...learned lots, I've gotten through about 4 of the 20 or so...fun to read the reveiws of helis, like the CX2, Trex 600n, Axe CP, and others from a couple of years ago...

I don't know if you caught it the other day, but at the end of the last pass with the 450 Pro, I thought I heard a bit of a rattle...and wondering if the motor bearings are on their way out again?? It's all good, 'cause I still have the Scorpion here ready to go, I guess you remember I have that little puppy in reserve....now...since I need an ESC for the B400, was thinking of a kinda rotation/swap thingie....maybe like the Eflite 40 amp to the stocker B400, then the Align 35 from the Pro to the good B400, and then maybe the new CC ICE on the 450 Pro....

If memory serves me correctly, I need to enlarge the motor plate holes for the Scorpion, and some other details...I'll have to look into that, nice over the winter test/project...

JPEE,

Wow, the 400-1 looks pretty grim....sorry to see all that damage...any idea what brought it down? You may have said, and I'm lost in the fog from the meds...lol...

I don't know much about those gyros, maybe someone else has some input...have heard most like that 401B one though, esp for the price...

Nick,

Cool on the flight times, and figuring about how many flights to a gallon...sounds very similar to what Rob and the guy with the Trex 700 were saying up at my field, I think Rob was getting about 8 min flights on the Avant, and he said 8-9 flights per gallon or so...maybe a tad less...

Glad the glow starter and the main starter and battery worked good for ya, hope you can nurse the RX battery through the rest of the year...

Close call on the gyro tape..[X(] Glad it didn't turn out any worse...I'm sure your experience and skill saved the day...

Nice field pics....blows my club field away....yours has DEPTH....mine is wide and shallow...very shallow...I mean, with mine, you can go out there quite a bit, but you wounldn't want to lose your heli back in the sticks and gravel pits in the back of the field, might have a hard time finding your aircraft...really tall grass/weeds/stalks...

I'm sure everyone is dying to see the vids....hope you can post them when you get some time...it would cheer me up some...lol...at least if I can't fly, I can watch you guys for a while...

Glenn

Old 10-31-2009, 09:51 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

I can understand you not wanting to answer the door. I felt just like you when I got my teeth pulled out.

Yeah you will need to enlarge the motor holes on the mount. I don't know what size screws are used on the pro, but mine used 2.5mm and I believe the Scorpions use 3mm.

At first I just thought the gain was too high, but once I got near 50% I just shut things down to be safe and see what was going on.

I wanted to get a better pic of the pond, but the rain made the field really muddy and not easy to get to.

Nick
Old 10-31-2009, 09:53 PM
rotarydoc

Nick,

Incredible flying!

That thing looks and sounds great, and your flying has really progressed since last time I saw any vids!

Looks like it has plenty of power, the engine sounds strong and consistent, and looks like you are having tons of fun with it...

Wiping a bit of oil off it isn't too bad now, is it?? LOL

Really glad for ya, and great to see you having so much fun with it...

Maybe you can get your friend to do some video for ya next time, so we can see more of the action!

Cool stuff!

Glenn
Old 10-31-2009, 10:12 PM
evdreamer

Thanks Glenn,

Flying in a big area has really helped. I am not so scared to try new things and push my limits.

Yeah the engine has plenty of power. The second flight of the day I was leaning it out and I went a little to far and the engine got up to 300 degrees.[X(] Luckily it wasn't very long and I richened it up. I think I can go one more click to lean it up a little more. I wonder if I would get a little more performance with a mixture controller. There is one built into my governor, but I don't know where to get the mechanical parts for it.

Wiping the oil off isn't that bad. I already do a lot of preventive maintenance on it, so I can handle adding one more thing to the list.

If I see the guy I fly with I can ask him or I can fly in the heli field, which is pretty small, so it would be easier to get a good vid.

Nick
Old 10-31-2009, 10:55 PM
jroo

whew,
Just got in from my sister-in-laws. Had a great time with my 2 young kids (3 and .5) during this holiday. Had a few 'adult beverages' so I'm going to hit the sack here in a bit. Yaw JACK N' COKE!

Tomorrow I am going to try to convert my 2 Zippy 2200mah batteries from Deans to EC3 so I can then have 3 batteries. Practicing for 5 minutes and charging for 1 hour is getting lame....

Anyways, hope you guys have a good weekend/holiday, and have some safe flying!
Old 10-31-2009, 11:17 PM
evdreamer

Jreue,

Good to hear you had a good Halloween.

If your charger can handle it there are batteries that can be charged faster. I believe the turnigy batteries can be charged in 30min with a 2C charge and if you want to take a hit in cost the Hyperion batteries can be charged in 15min at 5C. I think some of the newer FlightPower and ThunderPower batteries can be charged in <=30min.

Nick
Old 10-31-2009, 11:34 PM
rotarydoc

Nick,

I know what you mean about flying in a bigger area....the one time when I had the 500 out at the big baseball park, I had a blast with it....and I would have had a great time at my club field that one day I think that I took off, if it hadn't been so windy. Maybe I can get a few fights in when I can get around a bit better next week or so, at my club field....that one day was awesome, 'cause I was the only one there....

Or, I may drive out to Maryland Helicopter Association, and check it out finally...their website says vistors get two free flight sessions...that might be a better idea yet, since that is what will determine in a big way what I do or buy over the winter...no sense in buying a nitro heli if I don't have a good place to fly it...

Yikes! 300 is pushing things...[X(] Hopefully no damage, and probably not, for a short period...I don't know much about those mixture controllers at all...have only briefly read about them in one article...it would be good to research it though...

Speaking of engine temps, when we were running the nitro RC cars, we had these temp crayons...kinda neat, you apply the marking to the cylinder head, and then after a run, see if it melted or not...they had different temp rating crayons...like 220, 240, 260, etc....a nice tuning aid for sure, since you can't always monitor the engine during flight, obviously...

That would be cool to get some closer vids...if you get the chance..

I'm hoping that I can get some decent flying time towards the end of my leave from work...in a week or so probably, hopefully, before it gets too cold...

Hope you get some decent weather and some more fuel for the weekend...

Wonder if Jeff and JPEE are still handing out candy over there? LOL...

Glenn
Old 10-31-2009, 11:38 PM
rotarydoc

jreue,

Glad you had fun for Halloween....

Don't know if you've seen this, but it helped me alot when I did my first EC3's....

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Articles...ArticleID=1768

There is text, and a video at the bottom of the page there...

Glenn
Old 10-31-2009, 11:54 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

I was adjusting the needle too soon when the engine hadn't warmed up yet, so I thought I needed to lean it out when it wasn't hot enough. However, every 30 seconds I was bringing it down and taking the temp, so I was quite suprised to see it that high. Now it is staying about 190-220 after a flight. I have it pretty easy because this engine runs so good. How do you know when you need to change a glow plug? I am thinking about picking up a few extras.

With the mixture controls I am worried about it leaning out too much. I have heard of it happening to a few people. I also heard of the sensors failing.

Those crayons sound interesting.

Maybe you will have a mild winter, so you can fly some more.

Nick
Old 11-01-2009, 12:12 AM
evdreamer

Glenn,

I didn't know if glow plugs needed to be replaced after a certain number of flights or not.

My glow starter doesn't have an ammeter and would be difficult to hook one up, but thanks for letting me know how to test one.

Nick
Old 11-01-2009, 12:19 AM
rotarydoc

Nick,

Yeah, you should be OK only running it that hot for such a short duration...it'll be fine...

Before I forget, there is always the "field test" for engine temps, if you get caught without a temp gauge...it's rough, but it's a pretty good rule of thumb...just put a little blob of saliva on your fingertip, and dab it on the cylinder head.....it should boil off fairly quickly, a few seconds is good...if it instantly boils off...you're getting in the danger zone...rough idea, but it's more accurate than you might think, once you get the hang of it...

I don't remember where we got those crayons, but they weren't expensive, I googled it, but didn't find any...someone probably still makes them, but they have probably lost alot of popularity due to the much more affordable temp guns these days...we didn't have them back in the day...

Glow plugs don't wear out, per se, but they can fail, in various ways. It's always good to have some on hand, for sure. I would stick with whats in the engine, or a trusted source of info, if I learned anything about nitro engines in the day, it is STICK WITH WHAT WORKS....lol, including glow plugs, and fuel, particularly...

A glow plug can short out, have an open in the element, refuese to start the engine, despite looking fine, and cause various tuning/running issues.....they are expendable, and figure on having a few brand new ones on hand at any time...they aren't awfully expensive.

They are simple to test, but not accurately....basically, when you hook one to the glow starter, it should glow nice and red hot...if it does, at least you know it's not shorted or open...the little gauge on the Ni starters that most people think is a voltage reading for the NiCd, is actually a tiny ammeter, which is use to measure the current draw of the glow plug element, a handy way to check it while it's stil in the engine.....you know the basics here....if it reads zero, the element is open, and if it's pegged, you have a shorted glow plug, just like you'd check a light bulb...

Hopefully, there will be some nice days left in the year, before it gets too cold...

Glenn

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.