Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 07:41 PM
JPEE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: are these blades any good for cp pro?

ORIGINAL: rotarydoc

Nick,

LOL....

I wonder what happens when you mix nitro fuel residue and WAX?? LMAO....

Glenn
Glenn, you get a candle LOL...
Old 11-03-2009, 04:07 AM
Aframomum
My Feedback: (10)

JPEE,
That would be one candle I wouldn't lite indoors. Sorry to hear the gyro is toast.

Looks like I'll be getting a chance to take my 450 out this morning after work, I saw the clouds broke and the stars are a plenty. The repairs are done on her and I was able to get rid of that wicked tail shake - had to swap out the new AXI head for the old reliable one. At least I was able to get a metal upgraded tail with it and plus some parts of the head I can use so all isn't wasted.

That reminds me, I currently am trying out an all red color scheme for my canopy and really don't like it...at all. I usually use a combination of neon orange, neon yellow, and neon green (don't ask why I suddenly wanted to change ) but was curious as to what you guys use to paint your canopy's? I think Rustoleum is what I used but remembered the orange appeared grainy when applied compared to the green and yellow.

Jeff,
Finally got to see the vid you sent of the CPP2 - that little heli was gettin thrown around for sure! So do you have your nitro coming in the mail yet???

Mark
Old 11-03-2009, 07:56 AM
evdreamer

Mark,

Have fun flying.

I think we all buy prepainted canopies. Maybe Glenn knows what to use from his car days or the GMP.

Nick
Old 11-03-2009, 10:34 AM
rotarydoc

Hey guys,

Not much new to update here, a new day, and feeling a little better each day now...

Maybe by the weekend, I can charge a pack or two, and see how it goes, weather permitting...

Mark,

Hmmmm, it was sooo long ago that I painted the Cobra canopy, I can't remember now...as Nick said, we are all pretty much using pre painted stuff these days...haven't painted a canopy or RC car body in years...

I know guys still do...I am thinking I used some kind of paint I got from the LHS, but I can't remember what brand or type...rustoleum is pretty good stuff...at least on metal...not sure about the color selection though...

On the cars, it's a completly different painting method, (they come clear lexan, and you paint them from the INSIDE)...but I would imagine the paints would work OK on the canopy, and I'm sure most LHS have a decent selection of colors, including some pretty wild ones, if you wanted..

We used to have a guy that did custom paint on the car bodies, would make some unreal designs, color schemes, etc...an artist for sure...and it was not easy....since you have to think in reverse when you are painting layers from the inside of the body...[sm=omg_smile.gif]

Glad you got the shake out, I know how frustrating that can be...[X(]

Hope you get some clear weather...it's nice here, chilly, about 50, but very little wind...

Glenn

P.S. For what it's worth, I took a look at the Cobra manual...and it says use epoxy or polyurathane paint...I believe that canopy was clear lexan as well...
Old 11-03-2009, 10:58 AM
JPEE

Here is the answer to all of your HOW TO PAINT questions

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=139530

http://www.helifreak.com/forumdisplay.php?f=204

JPEE
Old 11-03-2009, 11:07 AM
jroo

Got one of my EC3 connectors on last night.

I started with one battery. Cut the wire, stripped and tinned it. Then I tinned the metal casing. Problem is, I tinned the wrong end; I tinned the tub piece rather than the shallow 'bowl' end. Well I put that one aside and used another. The battery conversion came out pretty well i think; the connector is on there pretty good. It does not move at all. I added a wrap of electrical tape to be extra sure the wires stay on.

I wanted to do the other battery, but it was half full of solder from my goof up. This morning i heated it up and got what I think is all the solder out. I'm wondering if I will be able to use it, or its a lost cause. What do you guys think?

Old 11-03-2009, 12:19 PM
rotarydoc

jreue,

Congrats on your EC3's, they can be a bit tricky...at first, I thought you were going to say you touched the wires together by accident, you have to be very careful about that, once I cut one end off and have it ready, I tape it or tie wrap it to the pack, so there is no way it can touch the other wire while I'm working on the other one..

I have tossed a few ruined connectors myself...because it's just not worth the risk...it's up to you, and it's hard to say without seeing it...but what if it seems OK now, and then 3 months from now, when you are 30 feet in the air...it develops or causes a bad connection in mid-flight?

To me, it's a no-brainer...for what another EC3 costs vs a potential huge crash...[X(]

I just recently discovered a bad solder joint on my Trex 450's ESC....had that failed in mid-flight, it would have been a disaster...[&o]

So, you have my 2 cents...

Main power connectors are NOT something you want to risk a failure for saving a couple of bucks...

Glenn

Old 11-03-2009, 12:33 PM
jroo

True. I'll stop by the store today and lay down the $3.99 for a new set. Yea, I taped the connector I was not working on at the time with electrical tape. This was not my first time to solder, but its definitely the first time I did it correct. I never knew anything about tinning.

After reading a bit about the proper way to solder and watching instructional videos on youtube, I undderstand now that you are suppose to touch the iron to the thing you are soldering and heat it; not touch the solder itself with the iron.

No matter how hard I tried though I could never get the solder to melt on the wire. I had the iron underneath the wire, heating it. I touched the solder to the top of the wire and it would not melt. I mean I eventually had to touch the iron a bit to get it going because the wire itself was getting hot toward the battery.

How do these guys do it? In the horizonhobby instructional video on doing this, he is just zipping through heating the wire then applying the solder. Do I have the wrong type of solder that melts at a higher temp maybe? It's just regular ol' rolsin solder...
Old 11-03-2009, 12:43 PM
rotarydoc

jreue,

It takes practice, for sure. Like anything, the more you practice it, the better you will get...

There are some tips though, that might help. You have to keep the soldering iron tip clean and tinned, ususally with a damp sponge to wipe the tip clean just before using it...the solder itself is probably not the issue...if the solder will not flow to the wire, than the wire is not getting hot enough, usually due to poor contact...

Sometimes, to help this along, you can introduce a small amount of solder by touching it to the tip of the iron, and letting it flow between the wire and the tip...this helps conduct some of the tip's heat to the wire...

It does take practice. And, doing bigger, 12 and 14 gauge wire is much more difficult than like servo wires or something small.

Also, make sure your iron is up to the job...I think they say a 30 watt or so iron will do it...alot of guys use soldering stations, where you can adjust the heat...I have one, and usually dial it up to about 700 degrees for these type of connections...it's nice to have, but not necessary for a good joint, so I wouldn't go out and buy one just for a few connections...but if you stay in the hobby, it's a good investment...

If you have time, you could practice tinning some old wire, to get the hang of it...

The biggest thing to remember is that the solder will flow and do a good job, if you have the metal you are trying to solder hot enough...that is the key.

Glenn
Old 11-03-2009, 12:51 PM
jroo

I was just worried that I was getting wire too hot though. I had the iron on the bottom of the exposed wire using my right hand. With my left hand, I was touching the solder to the top of the wire. It was not melting. I kept the iron on there for a good while, but removed it when i touched the non-exposed wire leading to the battery itself. It was pretty warm. I mean do i have to worry about getting the wire too hot where it would harm the connected battery?
Old 11-03-2009, 01:08 PM
evdreamer

Jreue,

Do you have a big tip on the iron? That helps out a lot with bigger wires. Does your solder have lead in it? I am guessing it doesn't, so it takes some heat to get it melted and cools off really quick. I have lead/tin solder that doesn't take much heat and cools slower. Good luck finding lead in any solder sold today. On big wire I usually apply solder right by the iron and do that around the wire. Then I put the iron under the wire and apply solder from the top, so it goes through the wire.

Nick
Old 11-03-2009, 01:37 PM
jroo

Mine has a sharp point.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:48 PM
rotarydoc

jreue,

More good points from Nick....

You should avoid getting the wire any hotter than it has to be, for sure. It's going to get pretty warm pretty fast, the wire is an excellent conductor of heat...just try to keep the heat to the minimum to get the job done. I have not done any damage to my packs from soldering them.

Do you have any wire that you could practice on? If not, maybe buy a short piece from the LHS, and get some practice on your technique before you try the next ones...

This should help you out some...

http://www.teamnovak.com/tech_info/h...der/index.html

Glenn
Old 11-03-2009, 04:01 PM
jroo

Thanks for the link Glenn. Now im all paranoid that I tinned the wire too much. arg! I guess I'll have to find out if it falls from teh sky one day.

I'm pretty stoked. I'm bringing my heli to work tomorrow. I work in Austin right next to the greenbelt and Zilker park. During lunch it's been a gorgeous 75 degrees, so I'm going to take advantage of the weather and hit the park tomorrow with 3 battery packs!
Old 11-03-2009, 06:54 PM
evdreamer

JPEE,

I can't remember if you get RCHeli mag or not, but they had an article on that fun fly that you went to recently.

Jeff,

It looks like Century just came out with a 50 sized gasser that is a lot cheaper than the MA gassers. It looks like a decent heli.

Nick
Old 11-03-2009, 07:27 PM
J-MICHAEL

Nick ~

That's cool about the gasser from Century... I'll have to look it up and check it out. I also want to see what that Three Dee Rigid heli, or whatever its called also and look it up. I'll have to go back and see the correct name. Lol....

That older guy that I met was telling me that on his Gasser's they use Coleman fuel ??! What the hek ?! I'll have to see that I guess... Anyway, he said they get it in the big jugs from Costco and makes the bird run very well... Can't wait to see... Yeah maybe Spring or Summer, I'll get something noisy and smoky.... Heh... My 3s 2100 mah 15c Thunder Power Prolite just had its 2 year old birthday just a few days ago... Funny ! You almost can still see the little marks that were on it from 2 years ago as the newer picture still barely shows. Amazing this little battery performs so well with my 525 watt -6 V2 Scorpion motor for the 450 like you have. That battery runs just as cool as my 35c 2200 mah'ers.... Weird... Anyway, I'am really liking those lighter modded CPP-Paddles ! The 450 literally floats around in the sky... Me likey...

I took it out again this morning.... COLD OUT !! 33 degrees..... Burrrr....

I'd watch it from the original version, as its much better however.... My settings are displayed in the description's on You-Tube..... So fun !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYh_mbUDfTw

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYh_mbUDfTw[/youtube]

And then Sunday's short flight trying out those modded padds for the first time... Also using that little 15c batt :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfKE8vx7sm0

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfKE8vx7sm0[/youtube]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf10049.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	1307485   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16397.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	1307486   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx69849.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	1307487  
Old 11-03-2009, 07:48 PM
evdreamer

Jeff,

I will make your life easier and give you the links.

Watch some of the vids in this thread on the Three Dee Rigid. http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=166585&page=9 The speed of this heli is insane!!

Here is the Century gasser. http://www.centuryheli.com/products/...?currentid=498

Your a brave man to be flying in those temps.

Nick
Old 11-03-2009, 09:59 PM
HeliStyle
My Feedback: (2)

hey guys

taking a break from school, up late studying.

stopping in to see whats up?

glenn read about the surgery, hopefully you will be out and flying in no time

Had a 4 hour work trip today, and on the way home was thinking, I know I luved my e-flite msr alot before I sold it. So I stopped by the hobbyshop and picked up another one lol

thought it would be good since I am traveling right now, could just bind it to my dx6i and take it with me on trips

you still fly yours glenn?
Old 11-03-2009, 10:09 PM
rotarydoc

Hey guys,

Jeff,

Nice flying, and vids/pics! I love the cloudy overcast in the first vid, my favorite conditions, although, at 33 degrees....[X(][X(]

Looks like you were having fun with the light paddles eh? Plenty of horsepower in that heli I see!

Hmmmm, that's interesting on the Coleman fuel...that stuff is kinda weird, I've used in lanterns and what not over the years, and it's similar to gasoline, yet different...not sure what the advantages would be, other than really clean burning, and maybe very consistent quality vs pump gasoline?

Nick,

Wow, funny name on the Three Dee Ridgid, but the heli sure is no joke...that thing is crusin' in those vids...wonder what the MPH is in FFF?

Those gas powered helis look pretty cool indeed...that would be pretty cool to have 30 minute flights!

Glenn
Old 11-03-2009, 10:17 PM
J-MICHAEL

Nick ~

Thansk for the links...! WOW that Rigid is quick..... Lol... You know I love that.... Until I can figure out how to fly like you, it kills the time, and the addiction to blow the dust off my heli's... LMAO...

Glenn ~

Yeah it struck me as odd also with the Coleman fuel ??? I told him I'd have to see that..... Weird is all....

Heli ~

Glad you checked in........
Old 11-03-2009, 10:17 PM
rotarydoc

Hey Heli,

Thanks for the well wishes....just got out of the house to the store for a short trip today...just taking it slow and easy, still pretty tender yet...[X(]

I'm sure in a week or two I'll be doing pretty well...doing alot better than I expected so far...

Cool on the new MSR! I have not flown anything in a week or so, obviously, the MSR needs more room than I have in the house, and I have not had the urge to get the MCX's out just yet...they are pretty boring, actually...

I still love my MSR, and I'm sure it'll get some use this winter coming up....for now, I'm going to try to fly outside every chance I get until it just gets too cold/windy nasty...there will be plenty of indoor time in January, February, when it's just too brutal outside to do any flying...[&o]

That would be cool to have the MSR for the trips, take it out and fly it in parking lots, rest stops and stuff on the road! You'll need a car charger adapter soon!

Glad to see ya stop in, and it's great that you are employed, and still going to school...keep up the good work!

Glenn
Old 11-03-2009, 11:22 PM
rotarydoc

Hey guys,

I found another vid of that Three Dee Ridgid....going 233 KPH....which converts to 144 MPH!!![X(][X(]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2kfR...eature=related

WOW....

Glenn
Old 11-03-2009, 11:44 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

Good to hear you are getting out of the house now.

I have been busy working on some electronics that I forgot to study for a speech test tomorrow.[X(] I should probably study some.

Nick
Old 11-04-2009, 12:22 AM
rotarydoc

Nick,

Yeah, I'm finally starting to get back to some sort of normalcy...appetite, sleep, and going to the bathroom are all starting to get better...

I still stay up way too late at night, but that's actually normal too...LOL..

Good that you are studying, so you can get a great paying job later on...

How's the new job coming along now?

This 2 week break from work is sooooo nice for me, I really needed it...not exactly a great vacation, but at least a break from the cars for a while...my fingernails are actually WHITE now....no dirt stuck under them!

Glenn
Old 11-04-2009, 12:25 AM
J-MICHAEL

This 2 week break from work is sooooo nice for me, I really needed it...not exactly a great vacation, but at least a break from the cars for a while...my fingernails are actually WHITE now....no dirt stuck under them!

Glenn

......................... Credit cards maxxed out from boredom, & in need of more gadgets.............. LMAO....... Dang Glenn that video with the Rigid was QUICK !!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.