Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2021, 01:15 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 169 Likes on 141 Posts

I've eventually and somewhat reluctantly decided to go for Solartex Orange. I had an expensive time in England. The cambelt tensioner failed on the van and I was lucky not to wreck the engine. I had had a new one fitted in 2017 but it was out of guarantee. This time we used genuine VW components. The old tensioner had only lasted 37,000 kms (less than 23,000 miles.) The repair cost me over £500, (583€ or $686 US.)

So having looked at my bank statement and my Solartex stocks I have decided to use the material that I have in stock. I found that I had two unopened 2-metre packs of Orange Solartex plus well over a metre of the same colour from a roll I had already used. In addition I have a 2-metre roll of Vintage Orange Solartex, so Orange it is with Antique Solartex flying surfaces.
Old 07-23-2021, 04:10 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 291 Likes on 249 Posts

I can relate the level of my hobby fund makes a lot of decisions for me too. You can't spend it if you haven't got it.
Old 07-23-2021, 06:28 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Yes and I've got a set of orange overalls to match!

Old 07-23-2021, 06:36 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
I can relate the level of my hobby fund makes a lot of decisions for me too. You can't spend it if you haven't got it.
Didn't Muddy Waters right a song about it?

Old 07-23-2021, 07:06 AM
FlyerInOKC

The plane will match the coveralls sounds like a plan! I do believe Muddy Waters had it right.
Old 07-24-2021, 11:32 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

I pulled into the flying field yesterday afternoon to have a beer and to spend some time in the company of fellow enthusiasts. It was pretty windy so I chose not to fly. I parked my van next to a drop-head Vauxhall which must have arrived only seconds before I did. As the car was RHD I addressed the driver in English. His name is Allan and he's a "Mackem," a native of Sunderland in the north-east of England where there was once a thriving ship building industry.

Allen has lived in France for over sixteen years and lives in the closest house to the flying field. It's quite visible from the runway and we frequently hear his peacocks calling from his garden. Now it looks as if I've gained another trainee to teach Mode 1 to in adition to my British, Belgian and French trainees! Mode 1 is by far the most popular mode in France. AFAIK, I am the only Mode 2 pilot in the club which now has over thirty members.

For an explanation of the term "Mackem" see below:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mackem

Old 07-25-2021, 06:25 AM
FlyerInOKC

Does everyone in England retire to France?
Old 07-25-2021, 08:26 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

No, only about 150,000 of my countrymen live in France of whom 53,000 of us are retired.
Old 07-28-2021, 01:52 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

A young clubmate has bought this biplane in an estate sale.

I am not able to identify it. Perhaps the wings are from two different models!

Wingspan is about five feet or 1.5 metres.

Anybody got an idea of what it is?

Old 07-28-2021, 07:36 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Kinda looks like Liberty Sport wings on. Ultimate fuse. The LS has the same swept back top wing and shorter straight bottom wing, but all other planes with a similar wing have a round fuse, only the ultimate has a slab side with straight edged tailplanes.
Old 07-28-2021, 09:07 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Thanks for the reply acdii, others have suggested it's a WIK Modelle "Tiger" but the tailplane doesn't look right. Whatever the case the model was left in the club hut on Sunday and by yesterday it had gone. Someone is going to have a go at finishing it.

Busy day at the flying field yesterday. I flew my SNJ for the first time in years and did a bit of instructing with Patrick on my battered old "We Can Fly" foamy trainer. Patrick has just bought exactly the same model but it's now called the "Charter" and it's marketed by Robbe. https://www.flashrc.com/robbe/33293-...p_env146m.html

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=2666

SNJ in flight

Your humble servant with the SNJ, built from a Flair kit. OS 61FS up. I must get the engine to run more slowly at tickover.

The man in the red tee shirt is called Guy. He's a superb builder but a nervous flyer having come back to the hobby last year after a break of over 30 years.

Guy's model which had not flown for the past forty-two years! The club president nearly crashed it on landing approach but recovered it. It's good to know that even National Championship contestants can make an error sometimes!

Spot of dual control.

He's a bit clumsy but getting there.

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 07-28-2021 at 09:09 PM.
Old 07-29-2021, 03:24 PM
acdii

Hobbytown strike 2

went to the local one in Lincoln NE, got there at 2, wanted to pick up some sand paper tools etc, to strip the covering, and some glue to do repairs on the Ultimate Bipe I got from Crunch, and they were, closed. Lights were on, open sign lit, no one home, locked door.

looks like another tower order is in the works.
Old 07-31-2021, 05:28 AM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
Hobbytown strike 2

went to the local one in Lincoln NE, got there at 2, wanted to pick up some sand paper tools etc, to strip the covering, and some glue to do repairs on the Ultimate Bipe I got from Crunch, and they were, closed. Lights were on, open sign lit, no one home, locked door.

looks like another tower order is in the works.
Was this the one at 33rd and Cornhusker, on the north side of town, or the one at 70th and Pioneer Woods Blvd on the south side of town? I'm guessing the north side one. They usually only have 1 staff person in the store at a time, and frankly they don't have a great selection anyway. I don't even bother going to that one anymore, and I only live about two miles south of it. The store on 70th is much better. They've always got several staff in there, and a much better selection. Try that one next time.
Old 07-31-2021, 08:29 AM
acdii

Yep, thats the one. We are going to the Omaha Zoo today then packing up and heading home tomorrow. I did get to fly my glider once this week, though I was drenched with sweat after one flight and called it quits. I was a hot one this past week.
Old 07-31-2021, 12:15 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Yes, it was a hot one here this week! One TV station said we had the highest heat index readings we've had in two years! Enjoy the zoo! It's a good one.
Old 08-02-2021, 10:06 AM
donnyman

Received 128 Likes on 100 Posts

I just dropped by to say hello! I am still healing from my leg smash, and looking for a place to move my homestead , but no luck. meanwhile I am trying to clean things up around here and sell off my excess.

My shop is still in disarray but will have to wait for other priorities. Enjoy the rest of summer it will be getting cooler before too long.
Old 08-02-2021, 11:08 AM
FlyerInOKC

Hi Donny! I hope the leg is healing properly! Try to take it easy.

Mike
Old 08-02-2021, 08:50 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Hi Donny! I hope the leg is healing properly! Try to take it easy.

Mike
Best wishes from me too Donny.

Bon rétablissement!
Old 08-03-2021, 03:53 AM
donnyman

Thank you Gentlemen! I have taken so many antibiotics it's causing other problems and I am not convinced I am cured though great improvement is evident.
my fear of further damage to myself is keeping me from too much activity and boredom is setting in.

House shopping was helping but the higher pricing of homes has limited my options, retirement income just won't handle the load so other means is in my thoughts but requires much more effort........................we'll see.
Old 08-03-2021, 07:22 AM
acdii

Could always get a retirement plot with a manufactured home put on it. If it weren't for having kids still, it would be on the top of my list. https://ontopoftheworldcommunities.c...d-communities/
Old 08-03-2021, 10:27 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Perhaps some of you gentlemen would be interested in the following video. We were discussing this subject a month or two ago.
Old 08-03-2021, 11:29 AM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I left for Pennsylvania a week later than planned. When I left Texas Saturday, in late afternoon, the temperatures were 96-98*. A super hot day Texas-Arkansas- Missouri. In north Missouri a rain storm cooled us down to 85. As I travelled north the temps got cooler and cooler. By Sunday morning in Pennsylvania it was darn right cold in the morning. I was not dressed for the cooler weather.

Working in the new homestead sure is a pleasure. No more being drenched in perspiration from the hot temperatures of Texas. I will like it here. Yet winter will come so I will adjust. I have equipment here that I have to make sure they run.

I couldn’t bring an airplane this time. I look forward to flying on this small home field.

BTW, my wife saw my weight loss and said “enough already. You look good as you are”. So 195-200 will be the target weight. Today I bought a shorter belt. The old was just too long.
Old 08-04-2021, 09:03 AM
donnyman

Good video David I enjoyed it and always learn something new. Thanks! earlier I was reading about the Bristol Beaufighter.

acdii
your suggestion has and is under consideration, problem is my income won't permit a easy transition.

It is my hope that this time next week my leg will permit me to get back to work on my mower so I can get it out of the garage and maybe help to keep the grass from overtaking the house. also the wife can have it as her play pretty and quit bugging me.

Sad subject................. what has happened here that so many business's is failing and we can't seem to get our country back in gear??? I am not buying the Covid Pandemic as the reason. something else is amiss.
Old 08-04-2021, 09:27 AM
acdii

Well, it was a thought, never know what one can afford or not. I didn't dig too deep, but there is an HOA fee, and couldn't find info on the RC club dues either.

I do agree, something is up and needs to be corrected. The company I work for can't find help, we have plenty of job openings, no one to fill them, we can't even bus help in, no one wants to work. Hard to keep a business up and running when no one wants to work.
The following users liked this post:
Telemaster Sales UK (08-04-2021)
Old 08-05-2021, 02:00 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

[QUOTE=donnyman;12688721]Good video David I enjoyed it and always learn something new. Thanks! earlier I was reading about the Bristol Beaufighter....

When I lived in Australia in the late Seventies, I met a man who was a navigator on the Bristol Beaufighter. I was going out with his daughter at the time. He told me that he was involved mostly on ground attack missions against the Japanese in the Islands. After some time he was invalided out of the Service with nerves.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.