Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 12:57 PM
rotarydoc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: are these blades any good for cp pro?

Hey guys,

Well, not much new here...

Rain, 14 MPH wind, and 48 degrees....[&o]

I think I'll postpone the visit to the new field until the weekend. And to think of it, that is probably a better time to go, since there will probably be people flying and available to chat with and ask questions.

So, it's off to the mall or something for today!

JPEE, you are right....I'm sounding more and more like a retriree...LMAO...I'd better get my ass back to work soon, before I get to start liking this too much...LOL...

Nah, actually, I'm pretty bored, and will be ready for the return to work....and a normal schedule again....

Glenn
Old 11-11-2009, 02:43 PM
jroo

Glenn,

That's too bad about the weather conditions. How do you guys judge the wind speed anyways, and how much wind is too much for a beginner and the blade 400?

I have a RC park between my house and my work. I've been meaning to check it out one day but have yet to go look.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:46 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

That would probably be more fun for you to go to the field on the weekend.

Jreue,

My club has a mini weather station at our field, so I can see how windy it is, the temp, and the humidity. I also look at accuweather.com to get an estimate how windy it will be each hour.

The amount of wind a beginner can handle depends on the size and weight of the heli and whether they are using a buddy box. However, for a 400 sized heli 5-7MPH is probably the limit.

Nick
Old 11-11-2009, 04:01 PM
rotarydoc

jreue,

Yeah, I think it'll be better to stop by there on a weekend anyways, it'll give me a more realistic driving time, since that's when I'd most likely make the trip anyways...

For a beginner, the wind is a big issue....at least it was for me, I used to not want to fly in anything above like 5 MPH....but as you get more experience, and more confidence, it gets easier to fly in the wind, and somtimes the challenge can actually be fun....to a point!

At first, you have to be careful, as a good side gust can put the heli into the ground before you know it....and it depends alot on which way the wind is blowing/gusting too...you really don't want to fly in wind/gusts that might push the heli towards you....or a headwind in relation to where you are pointed...and, a nice updraft can keep your B400 floating up in the air alot longer than you might like!!! This is where setup with a bit of negative pitch at zero stick is a good idea...later on, flying in idle-up is advisable in the wind...again, when you get more confidence/experience.

There is no set speed for me...wind is tricky anyways, I have weather stations, and they can be way off...as can weather reports...I usully look at a few flags that are close by, and the trees, especially when they have all their leaves...but a gust can come up from anywhere, anytime, so it's not cut and dry by any means.

If I have learned anything from this hobby, it's about wind charachteristics...at least at my local level....usually, but not ALWAYS, there is is direct relationship between wind and the sun...in other words, most of the time in the summer particularly, you can pretty much count on the wind dying down considerably during what I call the "golden hour", near sunset...then, of course, you have the issue of dwindling daylight...

And, some guys like to fly early (super early![X(]) in the AM, for much of the same reasons...

I have also noted that alot of times, cloud cover reduces the wind...and the VERY calmest winds I have ever seen are (sometimes, not always) either right before, or directly after a major storm system comes/goes...(thus the old saying "the calm bofore the storm")...

Anyways, everyone is different, and you'll get lots of different opinins...and rightly so....but one thing I will add...is that when you do get the confidence to fly in the wind, it's an excellent training tool...

Good luck....

Glenn
Old 11-11-2009, 04:04 PM
rotarydoc

jreue,

Yeah, I think it'll be better to stop by there on a weekend anyways, it'll give me a more realistic driving time, since that's when I'd most likely make the trip anyways...

For a beginner, the wind is a big issue....at least it was for me, I used to not want to fly in anything above like 5 MPH....but as you get more experience, and more confidence, it gets easier to fly in the wind, and somtimes the challenge can actually be fun....to a point!

At first, you have to be careful, as a good side gust can put the heli into the ground before you know it....and it depends alot on which way the wind is blowing/gusting too...you really don't want to fly in wind/gusts that might push the heli towards you....or a headwind in relation to where you are pointed...and, a nice updraft can keep your B400 floating up in the air alot longer than you might like!!! This is where setup with a bit of negative pitch at zero stick is a good idea...later on, flying in idle-up is advisable in the wind...again, when you get more confidence/experience.

There is no set speed for me...wind is tricky anyways, I have weather stations, and they can be way off...as can weather reports...I usully look at a few flags that are close by, and the trees, especially when they have all their leaves...but a gust can come up from anywhere, anytime, so it's not cut and dry by any means.

If I have learned anything from this hobby, it's about wind charachteristics...at least at my local level....usually, but not ALWAYS, there is is direct relationship between wind and the sun...in other words, most of the time in the summer particularly, you can pretty much count on the wind dying down considerably during what I call the "golden hour", near sunset...then, of course, you have the issue of dwindling daylight...

And, some guys like to fly early (super early![X(]) in the AM, for much of the same reasons...

I have also noted that alot of times, cloud cover reduces the wind...and the VERY calmest winds I have ever seen are (sometimes, not always) either right before, or directly after a major storm system comes/goes...(thus the old saying "the calm bofore the storm")...

Anyways, everyone is different, and you'll get lots of different opinins...and rightly so....but one thing I will add...is that when you do get the confidence to fly in the wind, it's an excellent training tool...

Good luck....

Glenn
Old 11-11-2009, 04:05 PM
rotarydoc

whooops....[X(]

Sorry for the double post!

Glenn
Old 11-11-2009, 05:36 PM
JPEE

ORIGINAL: rotarydoc

whooops....[X(]

Sorry for the double post!

Glenn
GLENN,

WHAT R U doing? having a Senior moment or something LOL

P
Old 11-11-2009, 05:45 PM
rotarydoc

JPEE,

Getting closer all the time....lol...[X(]

Nah, just RCU being RCU...hit the OK button, and nothing happened, hit it again, and then it said I couldn't post two consecutive posts in such a short time, so I went back, and pasted, and sent it again, and I guess the first one DID go through...

LOL, not quite THAT OLD yet....

Actually, just trying to get our thead reply count up...LMAO!!

Glenn

Old 11-11-2009, 06:27 PM
JPEE

ORIGINAL: rotarydoc

JPEE,

Getting closer all the time....lol...[X(]

Nah, just RCU being RCU...hit the OK button, and nothing happened, hit it again, and then it said I couldn't post two consecutive posts in such a short time, so I went back, and pasted, and sent it again, and I guess the first one DID go through...

LOL, not quite THAT OLD yet....

Actually, just trying to get our thead reply count up...LMAO!!

Glenn

Yea Yea Yea..............Glenn, this is the ONSET of getting old and I hope I am around to see the progress. Then you I can go out for the mid night shoping for Senior Depends LOL
Old 11-11-2009, 11:45 PM
J-MICHAEL

Ok............. Someone take the drugs away from Glenn.............. Maybe it should be JPEE's turn to pop a few....?? !

Next time I do the Auto's I'am going to try them up from way up to see what it feels like ! Ya know, its no different feathering the throttle as it is when you have power, other than at the very, very, end and then just flaring it ?? ! No joke... I was LMAO, because I was SO nervous in trying them today... So with the T-500, they should be just like others have said and be very easy. I believe that now after doing it with the 450, and guys saying its hard... Not even...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O71UyWum08k

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O71UyWum08k[/youtube]
Old 11-12-2009, 12:40 AM
JPEE

ORIGINAL: J-MICHAEL

Ok............. Someone take the drugs away from Glenn.............. Maybe it should be JPEE's turn to pop a few....?? !

Next time I do the Auto's I'am going to try them up from way up to see what it feels like ! Ya know, its no different feathering the throttle as it is when you have power, other than at the very, very, end and then just flaring it ?? ! No joke... I was LMAO, because I was SO nervous in trying them today... So with the T-500, they should be just like others have said and be very easy. I believe that now after doing it with the 450, and guys saying its hard... Not even...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O71UyWum08k

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O71UyWum08k[/youtube]
Jeff,
Even in a drug stuper I can still see enough to say "that was some great flying and auto's". I had heard that 450's dont do autos well due to their small blades, WRONG you are the MAN! You know this means I'll have to try this to next time out.
JPEE
Old 11-12-2009, 12:57 AM
rotarydoc

Jeff,

Nice little auto practice there!

I have not tried them yet, but need to learn before too long...have done them on the sim, just never tried in real life yet...maybe next time out I'll do some like yours....looks like a nice safe altitude to start with...lol..

I think it gets alot trickier with a 450 from higher up, keeping the blade energy up....the 500 should be alot easier, yeah, due to the extra mass/energy....just like the bigger helis on the sim are easier...

Good job!

Glenn
Old 11-12-2009, 01:26 AM
J-MICHAEL

Thanks guys... I heard the same about the 450 being hard... But I dunno ?? I was LMAO as I discovered they weren't that bad at all ?? What the hek ? Upon decent I'am only a smidge below center stick, and then toward the end, I just start to flare to then find that sweet spot of getting her down somewhat gentle. Still need to work on that, but still it wasn't to bad for a 450, as like Glenn said the 500 I've heard is way easier I guess.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:32 AM
J-MICHAEL

I think it gets alot trickier with a 450 from higher up, keeping the blade energy up.

I've heard that also Glenn... In fact Finless says its a one shot deal with the 450, and that's why I was so nervous to try... But it was no different doing them and feathering the collective as it is (for me) even if I had power though ? Just the only thing different of course, is at the end and flaring...

But today the way my 450 felt, I really think that doing them higher may not be any different... "Funky" from Helifreak does them from up high, and the way I watch his heli doing them in a sense reminds me of how my heli "felt" when I was doing them today and not very high ?? Dunno though.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV0UV...layer_embedded

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV0UV15PEGU&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]
Old 11-12-2009, 09:56 AM
evdreamer

Jeff,

Nice autos. Now try an inverted auto.

Nick

Old 11-12-2009, 09:57 AM
jroo

Morning all.

What do you all think about a CNC tail upgrade for my blade 400? Does it provide anything other than looking good? If I do pursue this, any comparisons between the Eflite and MicroHeli and other brands?
Old 11-12-2009, 10:55 AM
JPEE

ORIGINAL: jreue

Morning all.

What do you all think about a CNC tail upgrade for my blade 400? Does it provide anything other than looking good? If I do pursue this, any comparisons between the Eflite and MicroHeli and other brands?
Jreue,

Good question. Glenn bought the Eflite set up and had parts missing when it was opened and then problem after problem which i will let him explain. A guy on another thread here turned me on the CNC head an tail box for $109.00 and what a dream it is. YES! it will make a difference per performance. It will survive crashes 200% better than your stock plastic head. But most of all the head makes the big difference. Your heli will become more smooth and fast reacting. Also you 'will not" be replacing f-shafts hardly anymore either. When I post the picks of my last crash you will not believe that the head survived without any damage. You could leave the stock tailbox but this CNC set comes as a package and I really recommend it. In a bit I'll pull my paper work and tell you where I got it.

I'll get you the infor and some pics in a bit morning COFFEE comes first lol
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15085.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	1312887   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92990.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	1312888   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zf88034.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	1312889   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bu58219.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	1312890   Click image for larger version

Name:	Do81101.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	1312891  
Old 11-12-2009, 11:48 AM
jroo

Great info! yea it would be good to hear Glenns E-Flite story.
Reason I ask about all this is because there are some CNC parts on ebay that I'm looking at:

Brand new in box, Eflite Blade CNC tail assembly: currently $11
[link]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200403485319&ssPageNam e=STRK:MEWAX:IT[/link]

Brand new MicroHeli tail assembly: currently $10
[link]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390117315843&ssPageNam e=STRK:MEWAX:IT[/link]

I do like the Sonix one you have. It looks sharp and I've read some real good reviews on it. Did you have to modify anything during the assembly? The Sonix kit looks like it comes with a main shaft already, so I was wondering how compatible it was with Eflite main shafts.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:07 PM
J-MICHAEL

Morning all.

If I were you, I'd veer away from Microheli unless you got lots of extra money laying around... For my T-450, I have a lot of parts of the Microheli brand on it and I'll tell ya the stuff is soft like butter ! For one, there stuff is not anodized which having that done right there provides strength... JPEE's Sonix stuff looks WAY better IMO... And after several crashes, his is still holding up.... 5 crashes with my Microheli head unit & I've already had to replace it twice, and the one that's on now, has been now bent back twice ! Yikes....

Even there mixing arms will bend if your dog even looks at them... I like some of there stuff, but not for the head assembly areas ever again... If you want to hear what others have to say about the Microheli stuff for the 450, there was just a thread started about it on Helifreak :

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=172666

You can even see with one of the rotor heads that I had to replace that its just thinner than most other brands out there including Align :

There's an older picture of even my stock Align Trex 450 SA head unit below, and its much sturdier....

Name:	Ay75676.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	236.7 KB
ID:	1312930   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg14194.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	301.0 KB
ID:	1312931  
Old 11-12-2009, 12:39 PM
jroo

holy cow. well thats enough information for me to stay away from microheli. I sure do like the Sonix stuff; if anyone wants to buy it for me for Christmas or my birthday, just let me know.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:48 PM
JPEE

Jreue,

Here is the link and my crash. Not a bent part on that head, of course the flybar is toast but thats a given! Give me your home address, Social Security number, mothers maiden name, first born childs name, fathers miltatary status and I'll send this to for your Birthday LMAOOOOO

Really J, this is great. A guy here on the thread got me sold on it and it has been great. MOST important..........you can buy each and every part if you damage it!!! My buddy bought a 5 Star CNC head.........they dont sell any parts or........even a f-shaft, bent it, then throw the head away! Beware like what Jeff showed you, he is my step-son and knows his stuff I might add.

http://www.helidirect.com/hdx450se-c...sa-p-10165.hdx

JPEE

Name:	Ge96862.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	1312992   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up49005.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	1312993   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl21350.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	1312994   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jd87409.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	1312995   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vg54469.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	1312996  
Old 11-12-2009, 04:50 PM
jroo

Is that the Sonix one?
Old 11-12-2009, 05:20 PM
JPEE

OF COURSE! , its my Sonic and ,no harm, no foul, nothing bent. When I put that heli back togther that head will only need flybar!

JPEE
Old 11-12-2009, 10:54 PM
rotarydoc

jreue,

To say I had a bad experience with the Eflite CNC upgrades would be an understatement...[&o]

Definitely the worst spent money of my heli career so far....

The problems were numerous, too much to go into all the details...but just a couple of examples...

The see saw holder kit was missing a screw....and not just any screw...the very special ones that go in the side of it that hold the bearings in place...they are 2x2 mm socket head cap scews, and are nealy impossible to find, I even looked online...I guess I could have taken it back to the LHS, but instead, I used 2x4mm SHCS's, and with some nice little spacers that I dug up from the Gaui spare parts, I was able to get over that hurdle...

Then, when it came to assembling the flybar cage, it would bind up every time I tried to tighten the cage screws...and it was because the see saw holder was just slightly too long...by a few thousandths of an inch...I could get to work if I left one washer out...but that is no good in my book.....ended up filing it down, taking my time to get it evenly filed on both sides, until it fit just perfect, no binding when everything was tightened down...the guy at my LHS had the same issue...(he left one washer out...shhhhhhh, don't tell !!)...

Well, once that was taken care of...I went ahead with every thing else...and it went pretty smoothly....then I moved on to the tail...and it went pretty smooth, there was a snag...there was some binding in the pitch control lever, and I ended up having to do some filing there too, to get it all good...

Well, all was fine, finally, set everything up, and I also installed the speed-up aluminum tail drive gear....big mistake...for some reason, and others have noticed it...that thing creates a new noise in the heli...a very noticeable click when you turn the main gear or rotor head by hand...not just a tiny click either, quite loud in fact...I have NEVER figured out what or why...it's the same gear as stock, just with an aluminum pulley gear, with one more tooth on it...I even put brand new bearings it it...looked at the gear, nothing is loose, no burrs, nothing that would explain the noise...bottom line...took it back out...and the noise is gone...[X(] And let me tell ya, that ain't NO easy job either!!![X(]

Anyways, moving on...when I went to fly it...at first, everything seemed just fine...spooled it up, and of course it needed some trimming and what not...so I did that...flew it...and when I got it back closer, I heard a strange noise, just didn't sound right...and on spool down, it had a horrible vibration/wobble...took a look..and the mainshaft was bent...

Well, the mainshaft wasn't bent before, and the blades didn't touch anything but air...very strange....I took a look at everything, flybar, F.shaft, bearings, orings, all that stuff....to make sure I didn't mess up...could not find anything..put a new mainshaft in it...

Took it to my club field...got it in a hover, flew around a bit, and then hit idle up...as soon as I did that, it made a horrible flapping noise...and I landed it...took a look...and the mainshaft was bent AGAIN..this time pretty badly...never touched anything but air!!!

Anyways, gotta wrap it up...I have never found the cause, and to be fair, it could have been something else besides the upgrades, but I can't imagine what it would be. I have installed that head on my stock B400, and flew it about 3 times, with no bent mainshafts...until the stock ESC failed...

So, I can't say for sure what happened...but I'll tell ya this much...my main Blade 4oo now has a totally stock, plastic head, and tail, everything is 100% stock plastic...and it's never flown better...

Enough said....

P.S. Don't even let me get started on the tail upgrade issues, I'd be here all night...THAT stuff is in my parts box...it's not being used on either heli anytime soon!!!

Glenn
Old 11-12-2009, 11:07 PM
JPEE

Glenn,

Hey buddy why don't you tell us how you really feel about Eflite after market parts.
LMASSOFF

JPEE

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.