Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2021, 06:53 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 284 Likes on 246 Posts

I have always preferred the straight sided cross myself, but to each his own.
Old 08-15-2021, 07:42 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 167 Likes on 140 Posts

Ah but the straight sided cross was not usually painted onto a white square.
Old 08-15-2021, 09:17 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I pulled the Ultimate Bipe I traded Crunch for into the shop and going to start repairing it. It just so happens the covering is the same I used on my 4*120, so have some on hand, so I can patch up the few things and consider a full recover down the line when I have time for it. I just need to burn a couple parts for the wing and can have it repaired in just a few hours. Not sure yet if it will get an FA-91 or the Gemini II 120, depends on how tail heavy it is.
Old 08-16-2021, 05:06 AM
FlyerInOKC

Life is good I spent the afternoon building yesterday! As they say it didn't happen without photos. The vertical fin is pinned to the building crutch and the leading edge is reinforced with carbon fiber tube. I need to notch the leading edge to get the horizontal stab in place. On of the more interesting detail of the Ryan SC is the tail.
​​​​​​​

Old 08-16-2021, 07:36 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Apart from fitting the top sheeting forward of the wing seat and a little making good, all of the woodwork involved in the fuselage construction is complete.

I have left off the sheeting below the engine for the time being. The engine currently fitted is a Laser 70. I have three Laser 70s but I have plans for all three! My Laser 62 seen running on the test bed in Post 83 is being professionally repaired. If it comes back before I'm ready to fly the Big Guff, I'll fit it. If not, I'll use the 70, then see whether the 62 will fly it.

The next stage is to fit the throttle servo, rig up the rudder and elevator actuation and cover the fuselage, fin and rudder.

The nose is about 1.75" (4.45 cms) longer than it should be because I forgot to mount the engine further back in the structure and a Laser 70 with a modern engine mount is much longer than a Brown Junior! There are precedents for this in full-size aviation!

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 08-16-2021 at 07:52 AM.
Old 08-16-2021, 11:32 AM
FlyerInOKC

It looks a bit like a boat!
Old 08-18-2021, 08:35 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Some years ago I read a book called "Butcher and Bolt" by David Loyn which described the experience of the British in their attempts to subdue Afghanistan in the Nineteenth Century when Great Brirain was the most powerful nation on earth. They all ended in failure. On more than one occassion the British installed a king in Kabul who they thought would be amenable to their interests. These kings were overthrown by Afghan insurgents and those that survived were able to spend the rest of their lives living in comfort in India at the British taxpayers' expense.

Isn't it amazing how history repeats itself?

Mods please note that this post is not political , it's a historical comparison to recent events.
Old 08-19-2021, 04:40 AM
FlyerInOKC

The first failure in Afghanistan goes a lot father back, it belongs to Alexander the Great. No would be conqueror has ever succeeded. We are just the latest in a long line. The Russian not exactly know for following the rules of war and their brutality couldn't conquer Afghanistan I wondered in the beginning how long our effort would take to fail. I saw it as turning into another 100 years war.
Old 08-19-2021, 06:02 AM
acdii

The Middle East has been a warzone for as far back as history is known. The Crusades was Christianity vs Muslim, was a stalemate for a long time until Christianity was pushed back. Part of why you find old Christian churches in fully Muslim cities. Their faith in the Koran is the strongest in the world, and why they can't be defeated.

On a happy note, we close on the refi tomorrow, 3.125% rate, drops $300+ from my monthly mortgage payment, and getting enough cash to fully repair the house. In the process of getting quotes for the heavy stuff now. After reviewing taxes between IL and WI, we decided to stay here for the time being, and I found a way to reduce property taxes by planting a hay field on at least 3 1/2 acres. Should cut taxes by 50%. I will need to purchase a disc mower, rake and baler, but I figure for $20K investment, it will pay off in 5 years. The Disc mower and rake can be powered by my Kubota, but I might need another tractor for the baler, depending on what I find, going to look for used equipment of course, though I do know for $18K I can get a complete package, but its a roll baler instead of square baler. Horse people prefer square bales.
Old 08-19-2021, 07:02 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Old 08-19-2021, 08:02 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by acdii
The Middle East has been a warzone for as far back as history is known. The Crusades was Christianity vs Muslim, was a stalemate for a long time until Christianity was pushed back. Part of why you find old Christian churches in fully Muslim cities. Their faith in the Koran is the strongest in the world, and why they can't be defeated.

On a happy note, we close on the refi tomorrow, 3.125% rate, drops $300+ from my monthly mortgage payment, and getting enough cash to fully repair the house. In the process of getting quotes for the heavy stuff now. After reviewing taxes between IL and WI, we decided to stay here for the time being, and I found a way to reduce property taxes by planting a hay field on at least 3 1/2 acres. Should cut taxes by 50%. I will need to purchase a disc mower, rake and baler, but I figure for $20K investment, it will pay off in 5 years. The Disc mower and rake can be powered by my Kubota, but I might need another tractor for the baler, depending on what I find, going to look for used equipment of course, though I do know for $18K I can get a complete package, but its a roll baler instead of square baler. Horse people prefer square bales.
Maybe you could find a used square baler from farmer who swapped over to a round baler?
Old 08-19-2021, 08:27 AM
acdii

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Maybe you could find a used square baler from farmer who swapped over to a round baler?
Thats my plan. There is one for sale not far from here, but not ready to buy one at the moment, but it happens to be just the right size. This is a plan for next year. I need to get the hay field established first, which requires me to pull down all the fencing, get soil samples done to find out what fertilizer is needed, kill off the weeds, which will also kill off some desirables, such as clover, and get it ready for an alfalfa mix, then find someone with a drill small enough for the field. 20 years ago this is what I did to turn the field from corn to pasture. First though, the septic needs to be done, and that will determine how much planting is done.

If I have to get a larger tractor for the baler, it will be a plus since I can have someone else drive the Kubota with a trailer to collect the bales as they come off the baler.
Old 08-19-2021, 11:20 AM
FlyerInOKC

I remember my old uncle once when he was baling his neighbor's hay, he chased a rattlesnake half way across the pasture just so he could bale it up. He wanted to give the neighbor a little surprise!
The following users liked this post:
Telemaster Sales UK (08-19-2021)
Old 08-20-2021, 06:32 PM
biam

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Thats my plan. There is one for sale not far from here, but not ready to buy one at the moment, but it happens to be just the right size. This is a plan for next year. I need to get the hay field established first, which requires me to pull down all the fencing, get soil samples done to find out what fertilizer is needed, kill off the weeds, which will also kill off some desirables, such as clover, and get it ready for an alfalfa mix, then find someone with a drill small enough for the field. 20 years ago this is what I did to turn the field from corn to pasture. First though, the septic needs to be done, and that will determine how much planting is done.

If I have to get a larger tractor for the baler, it will be a plus since I can have someone else drive the Kubota with a trailer to collect the bales as they come off the baler.
I put up a fair amount of hay as a teenager. Alfalfa was my least favorite, always heavier than the normal fescue. Good luck finding anyone to help put the bales in the barn. Most teens are not gonna do this for the small amount of money it will pay. This was a good money maker in high school paying a whopping four cents per bale! 3.20 per hour when we did the mowing and raking. The farmer we worked for did all the baling and had a John Deere baler that was equipped with an ejector that would throw them up into a wagon with sides like a cotton wagon.
Old 08-20-2021, 11:17 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Some progress has been made with the Big Guff. Still some way to go yet. It does not look too bad at a distance!

Note the usual immaculate workbench!

Old 08-21-2021, 04:29 AM
biam

Looking good! At least you have a project on your bench and making progress. I’m targeting this winter for a new build as I’m getting somewhat caught up on the house. Have to decide between a tower kaos, or a Sig 1/4 scale cub. Both have my eye when I see them on the shelf downstairs.
Old 08-21-2021, 05:53 AM
FlyerInOKC

Now your bench looks like mine!
Old 08-21-2021, 07:34 AM
acdii

Originally Posted by biam
I put up a fair amount of hay as a teenager. Alfalfa was my least favorite, always heavier than the normal fescue. Good luck finding anyone to help put the bales in the barn. Most teens are not gonna do this for the small amount of money it will pay. This was a good money maker in high school paying a whopping four cents per bale! 3.20 per hour when we did the mowing and raking. The farmer we worked for did all the baling and had a John Deere baler that was equipped with an ejector that would throw them up into a wagon with sides like a cotton wagon.
Already have 2 teens lined up, they will stack hay if they want to eat.
Telemaster Sales UK (08-21-2021)
Old 08-21-2021, 03:51 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Already have 2 teens lined up, they will stack hay if they want to eat.
2Th 3:10 For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat.
Old 08-23-2021, 06:05 AM
FlyerInOKC

So I took the wife down to Walgreens for a COVID booster, she has Lupus an auto-immune disease. We use the same pharmacy for all our prescriptions so they know us. The pharmacist asked me if I waned one too since I was on an autoimmune suppressant so I ended up with a booster myself. We are still not taking any chances and wearing masks. This idiots trusting the blowhards in fantasy land and not science are starting to die off so I think I'll trust science. It worked for Polio, Mumps, Measles, Pneumonia, etc. In my book a theory is just a theory not based on any facts just some one fantasies and guesses. Most theories end up to be wrong, disproved, or die with the crackpot who came up with them.
Telemaster Sales UK (08-23-2021)
Old 08-23-2021, 05:03 PM
biam

I’m with you Flyer. My wife and I are trusting science also. Both vaccinated and will have the booster too when the time comes. 👍
Old 08-23-2021, 05:19 PM
acdii

I ordered some ammo Saturday and it shipped today, but very confused on the shipments. The first shipment showed the full order, 1K 9MM and 1500 223, plus an ammo can. Then I get a second notice of shipment picked up, 1K 9MM and ammo can. Fedex shows both picked up due on Wednesday. Guess I will find out when it gets here. The order originally showed the 223 on back order, yet the first shipment has it, and the weight matches 2500 rounds of 223 & 9mm. Did some shooting yesterday at an outdoor free range on the 50 yard one and got my AR556 sighted in, ran a few hundred rounds of 223 and .22 through it, that target be ded dead. Shot my Henry too, and that rifle is dead on @ 50 yards, love it. Tried my Ruger LC9s Pro on the 50 yard, no clue WHERE the bullets landed but sure as hell wasn't on the target, not even on the white. On the handgun range, 7 yards, with a holster draw and 2 quick pops, both center mass, thats all that matters since its my CCW. I need a 3x magnifier so I can see the target better, then can move on to the 100 yard range and test my skills. I have a CMMG .22 adapter BCG and 3 .22 magazines for 75 rounds of rock and roll and at rapid fire it stays on target. That Ruger AR556 is a joy to shoot, and a breeze to clean up later, even with the dirty .22 running through it.
Old 08-23-2021, 07:43 PM
FlyerInOKC

7 yards quickfire is good enough. If I remember Chic Gaylord's comment correctly most handgun firefights usually occur at lest than 4 yards. He was the father of practical firearms training and the go to guy on the east coast for custom holsters back in the day. I still have a copy of his book alas the dust jacket is long gone.
Old 08-23-2021, 08:11 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Originally Posted by biam
I’m with you Flyer. My wife and I are trusting science also. Both vaccinated and will have the booster too when the time comes. 👍
So am I. I'm double-jabbed.
Old 08-24-2021, 04:08 AM
FlyerInOKC

The COVID vaccine is Darwin's Theory at work, the intelligent ones getting the rest get culled out by COVID! Still, looking at what is going on in Israel, with 80% vaccinated, another shutdown way be necessary.

Last edited by FlyerInOKC; 08-24-2021 at 04:20 AM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.