Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2021, 06:40 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Whats happening is quite the norm for a virus. I don't know why the knee jerk reactions are back. Every Virus mutates, and each mutation is more virulent, but less potent. At some point, it will be no different than the common cold and flu. The sooner we let it run it's course, the sooner it will be over. Also masks are a Placebo, If you can fog glasses through a mask, the virus can also get through. They are only about 50% effective for the best made masks, and forcing the kids to wear them in schools will not make any difference. A true N95 does stop the virus from being inhaled, but a true N95 also has an exhaust port, so an infected person will exhale the entire load out unfiltered. I got the J&J so did my wife, and waiting for them to approve it for teens so the kids can get it. I have more faith in the J&J since it is based on the common flu shot, where the 2 part mRNA has never seen wide spread use and long term effects are unknown. I don't wish my kids to be affected by the unknown.

I've already had Covid, back in May of last year, the effects lingered for a long time and finally found Nasacort to be effective at clearing my sinus out. It was the weirdest "cold" I ever had, lasted about a week and a half but the side effects with my sinus lasted months, and my left ear still has issues. I got it from my wife who did not have it, she always wore a mask when out, but still was able to bring it home. I never left the house, neither did the kids, she was the only one who went to the office every day and always wore a mask. It's why I believe that masks don't stop the virus.
Old 08-24-2021, 07:08 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 293 Likes on 250 Posts

Actually COVID is Strengthening not weakening with mutation. Reinfection of COVID are high and sometimes deadly. My son is a Paramedic and his wife a BSN both have seen this. Having it does NOT give you the level of protection as the vaccine, science has proven it.
You either believe the BS artist making stuff up out of thin air and their fantasies or believe science. Which has credibility, its definitely NOT the former.
Old 08-24-2021, 09:48 AM
David Bathe

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

[QUOTE=Firefox11;11933013]I'm not 50, just 44. But my dad started me on flying my first plane that someone posted in this forum. He bought me a C/L Swordsman with a Cox .049 with a built in gas tank on it that he has adopted. (By the way, I want it back) The first time I flew it I went around approx 7-8 times but being I was only about 7 yrs old he failed to tell me what to do when it went up and the lines got loose. So I just stood there and stared with my mouth open as it went up and smashed into the ground. I was crushed!!! It didn't stop me though, approx when I was about 12 yrs (1982) old I had been eyeballing a OLD Falcon 56 mk1 in my dads garage for years and years. I asked him if I could have it, and he told me if I finished it I could have it. Guess what, I finished it... So he bought me a Gold Box Futaba 4 channel and a OS Max .30 for it (which I still have both mounted in another plane) I flew that airplane for quite a while until the wings snapped in half. It injected my dad back into the hobby and soon after he pulled out his Morane Saulnier 3-channel scratch built that flew like a champ!!! I think he built that before I was born, right pop?

Today, kids are too concerned with the internet and video games to care about model airplanes. Instant gratification is the wave of the future, and that is TRULY sad. There is something to be said about building a plane from plans/scratch and rigging it to fly. (Even though I complained about sanding) The feeling of accomplishment is unparalled. Not to mention, peoples ideas and creations of color schemes and engines as well as radios that they used in their planes made it fun and sparked ideas of things you could do to your own planes. Kids today do not know what that is like, and heck I doubt they would care. ARF is a curse word to me. Newer is NOT always better!!!

I think modelling is a great hobby!! I'm glad that I was introduced to the hobby, and I plan to continue flying in the future. But right now I have a few other things keeping my mind busy. For you guys 50 and over, keep on building and flying it is truly a lost art. Who would have thought that u would have to scrounge to buy a kit, or u would have to go online to find a engine. I miss the smell of the Hobbyshop and the comradery. There is something to be said about a group of people hanging out in a hobbyshop talking model airplane stuff. For that matter R/C anything talk is cool.

Since I am here though, I would like to thank my dad for my lifetime of memories flying airplanes with him. I wouldn't change a thing and I will never forget..

God Bless you all

Love you Dad!!! (Donnyman)

Beautiful Post!
I too miss what was. Something magical seemed to simply disappear 30 some years ago.
I grew up cutting, sanding and gluing balsa. Damn that smell was good. Then I got introduced to fibreglassing early-days foam wings together. Damn that smelt good too! Then mixing methanol and castor and flicking 'till your risk hurt and the engine finally came to life. Oh, the smell of success.
Build-fly-crash-cry-repeat. I got it in the end.

Here's one of my early designs from 1976
Pretty neat drafting skills. Ink pen and home made drafting table. In the garden shed.
I was 15.
A lot of people encouraging me back then, aren't here now.
Sad.

The following 3 users liked this post by David Bathe:
biam (08-24-2021), donnyman (08-26-2021), Telemaster Sales UK (08-24-2021)
Old 08-24-2021, 10:12 AM
acdii

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Actually COVID is Strengthening not weakening with mutation. Reinfection of COVID are high and sometimes deadly. My son is a Paramedic and his wife a BSN both have seen this. Having it does NOT give you the level of protection as the vaccine, science has proven it.
You either believe the BS artist making stuff up out of thin air and their fantasies or believe science. Which has credibility, its definitely NOT the former.
My Sis in law is an ICU nurse. She said there are cases, but nothing like last year, most are more manageable than the initial strain, but as with the first, its the co-morbidities that are the most impacted by it. She also said the numbers being used to force masks and further possible shutdowns are being manipulated. What they aren't telling us are the whole numbers of testing being done, just a percentage of positives. If they told us the true numbers of negatives to positives, then the percentages overall are far lower than being reported. Say they tested 100 people and 6 came back positive, thats 6%. Unfortunately she doesn't have access to the number of tests done at her hospital to give the real picture, but she said according to admissions, it isn't anywhere near what they claim for the county she lives in.

I am not downplaying the virus in any way, just stating that don't believe what they are telling you in the media about the numbers.
Old 08-24-2021, 10:54 AM
FlyerInOKC

The thing is it depends where you are, in this state the hospitals are completely full. My brother went into the emergency room with Congestive heart failure and a serious blood infection last week. It took over 10 hours to find him a bed within the state, someone died to get him a bed. He got lucky in that the hospital he was transferred to was only 60 miles away and they didn't need to airlift him. I mentioned before my son is paramedic on an ambulance, it has gotten so bad if the dispatch determines an ambulance is not needed they won't dispatch. If when the ambulance arrives and the patient is not in critical life threatening condition they won't transport. In each case the next of kin is told to take them to a doc in the box by private car. On a recent double shift he worked they had 9 ambulances covering 200 square miles, he was supervising his ambulance and two others because the crews were so green.
My sister in-law was a lab supervisor at a major hospital in Tennessee. She had retired but went back last year, she is quiting because this year the load is worse with the COVID testing, etc than last year and she can't keep up with the work load anymore its affecting her health.

Last edited by FlyerInOKC; 08-24-2021 at 10:57 AM.
Old 08-24-2021, 11:35 AM
acdii

Oklahoma is also on the low end of the vaccinated scale, not at 50% yet, which doesn't help. I tried to do a search to find out the overall number of tests done for a given period and location to determine how many come back negative, or for something other than the virus. That data is being withheld. I also found that some tests and studies being used for "pandemic" purposes are incomplete, or being skewed by the procedures. Like reinfection rates between vaccinated and unvaccinated. There was one done in Kentucky, but the results can't be used because the sample group is too small, split up between age and gender, and was not tested for the variants. A comparison to an Israeli study showed that their study included the entire population and the reinfection rate for unvaccinated was somewhere around 0.0086%, 72 out of 835,792. Not out of a group of less than 500. The no previous infected with a vaccine group was 3000 out of 5,193,499 or an infection rate of 0.0578%. This is from the Israel Health Ministry Data. So end results were that fully vaccinated people had a 6.7% higher infection rate than previously infected non vaccinated people. The previously infected, vaccinated that got reinfected rate is not shown. It is possible that once you got it and got vaccinated, your risk of reinfection is extremely low. Israel is also at the top of the list with 65% having at least 1 dose and 60.2 fully vaccinated.

What I got from that report is that if you previously had Covid, and got the vaccine, your risk of reinfection is nearly non existent. Those who have had it and got the vaccine, should have nothing to worry about, those who have not had it, but got vaccinated, should get a booster. In the end, we should all get the vaccine, at the very least the J&J one. My friend has been trying to get the J&J one because like me, he doesn't trust the mRNA ones, and after seeing 4 of our coworkers have bad reactions to the second shot that put them out of work for several days, he does not want the mRNA one, but can't find any place that has the J&J. When I got it, my head felt funky that day, but the next day I was back to normal and my arm didn't even hurt. My wife did get a light fever and puked, but she has a lightweight stomach, just mimic someone upchucking makes her gag. She was a bit off the next day, but was fine by evening.
Old 08-24-2021, 12:39 PM
FlyerInOKC

I think there is not one perfect choice yo are going to have a small group of people who will react to one but not the other. I did fine on the first two but the third one left my arm sore for a couple days. The wife had no issues.
Old 08-25-2021, 11:18 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 170 Likes on 142 Posts

I finished the Big Guff yesterday but it was too windy to fly the Big Guff yesterday. I'm waiting for a calmer day.

Pictures of the finished model below.

It is not as well-built as the red one which was destroyed in a fire, partly because the 1mm balsa which clads the fuselage was rather soft and I was unable to remove some of the ripples however much I sanded it . Towards the end of the construction process I also began to lose interest, something which often occurs as far as I'm concerned. It is unsurprisingly nose heavy with the centre of gravity at about 30% of the root chord instead of the 40% recommended. I plan to move the receiver battery backwards. I have also lost the vinyl graphics sent to me by Pyramid Models similar to those which adorned the fin of the red one. I expect that they'll turn up sometime when I'm looking for something else!

I plan to change the Laser 70 in the nose for a Laser 62 when it comes back from the menders!

The tail surfaces were built for me by my club colleague at Berry Marche Modelisme, Guy Auxvieux.

Old 08-26-2021, 04:13 AM
FlyerInOKC

She looks great! Happy flying David!
Old 08-26-2021, 05:42 AM
donnyman

Received 128 Likes on 100 Posts

David Bathe WELCOME

Hello! I am Donnyman and I have to say my son did me a quite a honor.
The drawing you did resembles one here, (in the U.S.) I am fond of, Nice work! I trust you will frequent this thread often and have tales of your own to tell.

Again WELCOME! your post makes this thread more international
Old 08-26-2021, 11:47 AM
FlyerInOKC

Don't worry Dave we won't hold your youth and inexperience against you!
Old 08-26-2021, 01:35 PM
n0ukf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my modeling start over 50 years ago, Dad built himself a .15 powered CL, balsa & dope, on one of his business trips (flew it once and landed upside-down). He later bought us an orange plastic Cox .049 CL, we also had a Shrike .049 air car (circling on a tether). A while later we built a balsa CL biplane with another .049. We also flew a few Estes rockets and ran HO trains (4'x8' double loop setup with 2 tunnels).
After high school while in the Air Force I got started in RC with a used Lanier Comet (.60) which crashed on my first solo due in part to mechanical failure of flexible nylon hinges, I also got a Heliboy and tried hovering with no gyros (no crashes). After picking up the Comet pieces, I bought a Headmaster Sport 40 kit which remains in its box to this day (maybe I'll finally get a start on it before much longer). The Heliboy is suffering hangar rash, so needs a little work.
More recently I built a Flite Test Simple Cub from scratch but the plastic covered foamboard I used made it way too heavy for flight with the standard size power pack. I also have a couple drones (quadcopter), some little indoor (IR controlled) used helis I tried to get working, and an Eachine E160 which I slammed into the ground with the default control curves in the radio giving it negative lift. Curves are altered and parts replaced, waiting for a calm day.
A week ago I got what I believe is a Traxxas Nitro Rustler (only positive Traxxas identifier on it is the TRX 2.5 motor and the Traxxas Easy Start 2 system). Some of the parts on it are RPM, the radio is a Redcat DSM-2C, it has no body shell and was partially disassembled (motor mount is broken). Another (non-toy) car I got 2-3 decades ago is also unidentified and needs a radio. I plan to replace the stepped resistor speed controller with ESC and may even swap in a brushless motor & ESC.
BTW, do all cars (at least 1/10 in various brands) have the same pitch drive gears? I didn't check these 2 cars yet to see if one meshes with the other.

Last edited by n0ukf; 08-26-2021 at 01:42 PM.
Old 08-26-2021, 01:52 PM
FlyerInOKC

I have find R/C flying can be a trial and error proposition, you learn a lot the hard way. If you can find a local club with a qualified training pilot you success will greatly improve. As for the car questions haven't a clue.
Old 08-26-2021, 02:20 PM
n0ukf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oops, just looked in storage and found I misremembered details. That older car looks more like maybe a step between toy and hobby grade, and I had already installed an ESC.
Old 08-26-2021, 08:31 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Welcome to the thread n0ukf!

I'd like to echo Mike's remarks, (Flyer in OKC). Flying an r/c model aeroplane is not as easy as it looks and the learning process is frequently a question of moving two steps forward and one step back. If you were to join a model flying club there would probably be someone who would teach you how to fly, using the club's trainer. You would also get lots of help and advice.

Most people these days learn to fly on a 40 powered ARTF (Almost Ready To Fly) trainer but from what you said in Post 9888 it would appear that you are between 55 and 65 years old. In my experience, beginners of your age are better off learning on a three-channel trainer, i.e, a model without ailerons like the Sig Senior or Seniorita. These models are more automatically stable than their four-channel counterpartsand you can go on to ailerons later once you've mastered them. It appears that you like building so a model like the Senior or the Seniorita would be appropriate for you. I've never built or flown one myself but these models have a good reputation in the USA.

I can't help with the car questions either!
Old 08-27-2021, 04:27 AM
FlyerInOKC

David, it sounds like you have never flown the SIG LT-40, its a great 4 channel trainer. The only one that could match or pass it was the Midwest Aero-Star 40.
Old 08-27-2021, 06:00 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Talking

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
David, it sounds like you have never flown the SIG LT-40, its a great 4 channel trainer. The only one that could match or pass it was the Midwest Aero-Star 40.
I bow to your superior knowledge of American trainers!
Old 08-27-2021, 06:49 AM
David Bathe

Originally Posted by donnyman
David Bathe WELCOME

Hello! I am Donnyman and I have to say my son did me a quite a honor.
The drawing you did resembles one here, (in the U.S.) I am fond of, Nice work! I trust you will frequent this thread often and have tales of your own to tell.

Again WELCOME! your post makes this thread more international
Thanks Donny, this is a fun thread, many nice stories.
I was much to young (poor) to buy kits so it was easier to draw -build you own.
Here's another from the same time period... I found these again some years back after cleaning out my old family home after the folks had passed.
Had no Idea my dad he'd kept them wrapped up in a tube all that time.
Both used a Webra Speed .61

I always loved aeroplanes even as a young child, had some old model magazines showing the post war stuff. They looked amazing to me!
In 1971 I saw my neighbour loading a Mike Birch Capricorn into the car and I was mesmerised. Thats it, this is where I was going!
Started the free flight gliders, control line period, then a couple of dodgy attempts at RC using old Swan, McGregor, Fleet radios until my dear Nana sold the family jewels and gave me a box.
We weren't well off and but inside was an EXPENSIVE bit if kit: A Ripmax Futaba M 6 channel!
Humbled thinking about it today.
BTW, I found that picture on Google and I can still hear the servos squeaking as you pulled/pushed them in and out of the Styrofoam box.

I love that BIG GUFF by the way Telemaster.
I've been looking at the BenBuckle Catalogue recently thinking about the shapes and designs.
I'd like one with a small vintage diesel. Just to look at and smell.

Last edited by David Bathe; 08-27-2021 at 06:53 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Telemaster Sales UK (08-27-2021)
Old 08-27-2021, 07:05 AM
FlyerInOKC

Well David you don't need to draw anything you don't want. Check out the links below for free downloadable plans. Both have great search engines. and there are magazine articles for some plans.

https://outerzone.co.uk/index.asp

https://aerofred.com
Old 08-29-2021, 05:30 AM
donnyman

Received 128 Likes on 100 Posts

FLYER/TELEMASTER

I am rather partial when it comes to trainers, three come to mind First is the SIG Kadet series (all of them) then the Carl Goldberg Eaglet 50 (three channel) and the eagle (four channel) both of which I have built several. all can use a wide range of engines. I keep a C.G. eagle at the ready. the models you mentioned seemed rather stiff and unresponsive although they did fly ok. I tend to stay away from ready built type models - just don't care for the way they fly. DIFFERENT STROKES FOR DIFFERENT FOLKS.
The following users liked this post:
skylark-flier (09-07-2021)
Old 08-29-2021, 09:41 AM
Stikum

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

The Top Flite Sierra was a wonderful trainer and superb kit. Very rugged, but light weight. I built one per plans, then scratched a second wing with no dihedral. Power ranged from a 40FP to a Saito 91. Lots of fun!
Old 08-29-2021, 08:05 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Wink

Then there's always the Telemaster of course...

Old 08-30-2021, 04:10 AM
David Bathe

Roger that!
The Telemaster, particularly the Senior Telemaster is THE trainer.
I first came across one in the early 70's and was shocked at it's size. Veco .61 with a Perry Carb and SkyLeader Radio with egg shell white servo cases...shock and awe! Flew amazing.
Thinking that was way ahead of it's time

Last edited by David Bathe; 08-30-2021 at 04:18 AM.
Old 08-30-2021, 05:39 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Picture of my Senior Telemaster featuring the original Karl-Heinz Denzin "Barn Door" aileron wing below..

Old 08-30-2021, 05:42 AM
FlyerInOKC

I have never heard of anyone with a bad word to say about the Telemaster!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.