Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Wheeeeeeee.......... Blade CP!

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Wheeeeeeee.......... Blade CP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 05:56 PM
theradioflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Wheeeeeeee.......... Blade CP!

Rick, It seems that WMM should be able to download it through the camera. I've never tried it, I always have to copy to a folder and then upload it into WMM. Have you tried the "Capture from video devise" feature in WMM?

JPEE, yeah the thought of blades flying is pretty scary. A friend lost the tail servo in his .50 glow chopper about 10 feet away from me. One blade ended up 50-75 yrds away in the field and we never found the other[X(] They certainly have to be respected.

BTW the Canon has less features to turn on and off. It will be interesting to shoot more aerials and hemet cams with the Samsung.

Blessings,

Jay
Old 03-29-2009, 07:56 PM
Wnuk

Jeff- I'm loving the 401. It has been rock solid since setting it up. Keep in mind that I'm running it with a Futaba 3154 running at 6V. Weather in normal or idle up, it just never budges. I did back the gyro gain down recently to gain more of a looser tail. I like the feel where I have it now. As for my back yard, well I'm flying in an area about 20 yards wide by 15 yards deep and SURROUNDED by trees. It keeps me on my toes!

After a little more searching my with sons camera, it turns out his records video in 320X240 and that's it. No wonder the quality is so poor. Looks like I'm back to using my wifes pink Samsung again. Bad enough I fly with a hardhat on- let alone having a pink camera attached to it[:'(]

JPEE- I think the head speed may be down some because the stock motor is getting a bit tired. I've lost track of the number of flights I've had on it since it's nearly a year old. I think the stock battery is now losing some of its punch too. But on that video I was using an Outrage 2200. In idle up I still have plenty of speed.

Jay- I'll keep you up to date on the SD as I move along.

Rick- I may be able to help you with your camcorder. I am an electronics technician by trade. What kind of issue were you having again? Something about a message saying the head need to be cleaned? Send me a PM with the make, model, and serial number and I'll see what I can find out for ya.

Jim
Old 03-29-2009, 09:22 PM
crashcrash

"Vic- I used to keep up with computer technology. Problem is once I would "master" the latest I was already a version or two behind ".

Yeah...I quit trying to keep up a while ago. I used to be up on all the video stuff, but haven't really messed with it since WIN98....never bothered after I installed XP.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:58 PM
Barrrick
My Feedback: (2)

JIM W. thanks for the offer.....PM posted a minute ago. Anything you can do will be MUCHO appreciated.

CRASH : Just as you said a while back : THE WHITE HBK-2 FLIES LIKE A DREAM.
Only ;
this one needs a wee bit of trim tabs corrections to correct a wee bit of YAW and also some tiny "aileron" to the right leanings.
Dead calm outside, just flew it in the driveway. Can't quite get to fly "hands off" but is is VERY CLOSE.... May be 2 or even 3 seconds..!
For some "mental block" reason I am finding it VERY hard to get in the car and drive somewhere. This is ( I read ) one of the
signs of severe Depression. That is also why I am not getting anything done, for a total lack of initiative.
I guess if I didn't have the 4 hours of work, I wouldn't be getting out of the bed in the morning.
Strange how I acquired a lot of TIME OFF and I am just wasting it on nothing.
[&o]
RICK ( one sick puppy )
Old 03-30-2009, 02:49 PM
J-MICHAEL

Jeff- I'm loving the 401. It has been rock solid since setting it up. Keep in mind that I'm running it with a Futaba 3154 running at 6V. Weather in normal or idle up, it just never budges. I did back the gyro gain down recently to gain more of a looser tail. I like the feel where I have it now. As for my back yard, well I'm flying in an area about 20 yards wide by 15 yards deep and SURROUNDED by trees. It keeps me on my toes!

Jim ~

I've heard over on Helifreak that it was overheard that Jason Krause prefers the Futaba 3154 over some of the other servo's out there like the 9650 and such... I forgot the reason why, but enjoy that servo ! (He's one of the designers for the Trex-line)

I also hear ya on your brushless stock B-400 motor possibly getting tired. Wait until ya try one of these aftermarket jobbers ! Its so hard to look back then... My stock Trex 450 SA motor which is the Align 430L 3550 kv motor is nearing 16 months old, but of course had a rest while I had the CS motor installed but as you know the Align motor is back in my bird and what a weak no torque motor it is ! I'am wondering if maybe its getting tired also, or I just got spoiled with the CS motor I had installed ?

Rick ~

Keep your spirits up my friend....

JPEE ~

I tried messing around with my camera a bit, but it is just to old ! LMAO... I did something however and made it a little worse and my last video on Sunday of the 450 it was a bit more blurry than usual so I'll have to go in and see what I changed. I just used Nero to try and increase some of the quality, but the program can only do so much from a poor video...Lol...

I took off my Align flybar paddles which weighed 6.28 grams a piece, and installed a set of CPP flybar paddles which are much lighter and come in at 4.21 grams... Boy what an improvement to help free up the bog to the weak Align motor ! It actually displayed some power, where before it wasn't much... The wind was a little intense, but the test flight came out a success and I'am not looking back to heavier paddles that's for sure !

http://www.vimeo.com/3916464

Cheers,

~ Jeff

Old 03-30-2009, 06:18 PM
JPEE

Jay,

50 -75 yards away, that sick! I guess when I did some test hovers in the living room that was unsafe huh? Just kidding, that was Jeff who hovers in the garage and then stands with foot outside in the snow so he can bail if he has to! [sm=49_49.gif]
Your aerials are great that you have posted too. I just got off YT and saw you latest post, it was GREAT!

Jim, 10-4 on the motor getting tired. I have not had any of mine (3) go weak but just seize the bearings. I just bought new bearings for all three of my motors. They cost $7.00 ea. and there are two of course but $14.00 beats $50.00 for a new motor. And Eflites new step up motor is like then to twenty more! EEK.
We awere talking over the last few days about battery packs. I have two Eflites 800 mAh CX2 packs. Man they charge at 8.2 and then fly 1.5 minutes..........done! Over!

Crashcrash, heck windows XP is a cake walk. It is not that much different that WIN98. You want to get a headache, go look at Vista........I'm-dyin-if-i-lyin......that system will kill ya. My buddy is the IT guy for the State University I retired from. He just set up another friend with a new Dell and made notice that it be uploaded with XP not Vista. Thats got to mean something right.

Hey Mr Barrrick, when you get down in the dumps you come here from some friendship and chatter..................being in the dumps is NO GOOD, your better than that...we need you here with your input of 100 years of flying......really! ! ! [

Jeff that video was KILLER...............fast baby fast! Great loop too. Your right you just joined me in fummmmming up the camera by pressing buttons.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:27 PM
Wnuk

Geez Jeff, you are really flying that 450 like you stole it! Doesn't that soccer net distract you a bit though?

JPEE - Though my stock 1800 Eflite does show it taking a proper charge, I noticed that I'm starting to lose some flying time with it. I'm betting it goes out sooner rather than later.

Jim
Old 03-30-2009, 08:29 PM
J-MICHAEL

ORIGINAL: Wnuk

Geez Jeff, you are really flying that 450 like you stole it! Doesn't that soccer net distract you a bit though?

JPEE - Though my stock 1800 Eflite does show it taking a proper charge, I noticed that I'm starting to lose some flying time with it. I'm betting it goes out sooner rather than later.

Jim

Jim ~

I know sometimes those soccer nets are there and sometimes there not... But when I see them like in the last flight on Sunday I think great, I'am gonna smack into those... I can sense it... Lol... Because as ya know I like to skim the deck sometimes as I come flying back, and thought what a sight to see making a goal with the 450. I figured hek, if I do well Jim's son might get a kick out of that !

Talk with ya later,

~ Jeff
Old 03-30-2009, 11:06 PM
JPEE

Jeff,

Those soccer goals are going to become your LITE POLEs if you not careful???

JPEE
Old 03-31-2009, 06:32 AM
Wnuk

I'd never be able to show my son you "scoring a goal" with the 450, he'd want me to do the same!

His spring soccer season just started up, first game is supposed to be this Sunday if the fields are ready.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:01 AM
crashcrash

ORIGINAL: Wnuk

I'd never be able to show my son you "scoring a goal" with the 450, he'd want me to do the same!

His spring soccer season just started up, first game is supposed to be this Sunday if the fields are ready.
Might be under water at this rate.......[X(]
Old 03-31-2009, 11:45 AM
theradioflyer

Thanks for the compliments JPEE! I messed around with some of the focus features on the Samsung to see if there is any improvement. The Aerial vid over Portage was with the Samsung and seemed better than the Canon's vid but the prop was in the picture and I wonder if that harmed the focusing. The problem I had with the Samsung was that is stopped videoing after 4 minutes. Hopefully the shut down setting change will correct that as well.

Jeff, great vid man. Your flying is awesome[8D]

Blessings,

Jay
Old 03-31-2009, 12:28 PM
choppersrule

Just poking my nose in for awhile and give ya all a brief update of the Blade 400 and HBK 3.

First off, the weather here hasn’t been that great for outdoor flight, windy, rainy and we had some
snow flurries last Sunday. I’ve been taking the helis to work on Saturdays for indoor flight and
that is the nut berries for sure when the weather is bad. I only have 5 flights on the Blade 400,
the first 3 with training gear to get the feel of the little devil. The last two flights without the gear
on. The 400 is very stable and responses extremely well. Actually a little to touchy for me, so
I’m going to make some changes in the DX6i to tame it down a tad and go from there. Then I’ll
install the JR DS285MG servos. If things go as I plan / would like to install a GY401 gyro and
the Futaba 3154 tail servo. The DX6i TX is all new to me, so I have a learning curve there, it’s
pretty easy to navigate through the different menus, I just need to understand how the swash mix,
throttle curve and pitch curve and such, interact with each other. Having fun with that, mostly
clear as mud right now, but, I’ll get it.

Shortly on the HBK 3, I REALLY like this one, I did have to make a few adjustment to the servo
links to get it to handle the way I fly. It’s very stable also, for a 300 size, as always, SET-UP is
the key factor to any good handling heli. Knocking on wood here, no mishaps yet. Oppps,
forgot, I did have a tip over with the HBK 3 and scuffed one blade tip.. One hunk of scotch tape
and re- balancing the blades and I was back in business.

Later, keep up all the good work and God Bless ya all,

Dave
Old 03-31-2009, 12:42 PM
J-MICHAEL

The DX6i TX is all new to me, so I have a learning curve there, it’s
pretty easy to navigate through the different menus, I just need to understand how the swash mix,
throttle curve and pitch curve and such, interact with each other. Having fun with that, mostly
clear as mud right now

No worries.... Its still clear as mud for me ! LMAO.... Glad to see ya enjoying your new toys Dave.

Talk with ya later,

~ Jeff
Old 03-31-2009, 12:58 PM
Wnuk

ORIGINAL: choppersrule

If things go as I plan / would like to install a GY401 gyro and
the Futaba 3154 tail servo.

Later, keep up all the good work and God Bless ya all,

Dave
Dave, That is the EXACT tail setup I have on my B400 and it is rock solid for me. When you get to the point of doing it, I'll share my gyro settings with you as a starting point. I did another quick video with the Samsung camera to show the difference in camera quality. Againin tis video, I do a punch out and you can see how stable the tail is even under "normal" mode. I'll get the link up later when youtube gets it up.

Jim
Old 03-31-2009, 01:33 PM
choppersrule

I’ve been lurking every couple days and see that all is well and fine.

Jim

Did ya ever make it to Harbor Freight and get the digital calipers, just curious? It was a steal for
the price.

Hey I really liked the FLASHER 450 RC HELICOPTER, a half a C note more than a EXI 450,
but I like the idea of 100% compatible with the Trex V2. Order me one too, LMAO!

Rick,

Holy Cow, that was a great video of your Hughes, I can’t believe how stable it looked in flight.
And the fuselage is just outstanding, perfect details. Did ya ever get the maiden flight on the one
plank you installed the flat 4 cylinder engine, that was just to cool.

Sorry your not feeling up to par lately, with the economy the way it is and with your hours being
cut at work, it sometimes very difficult to get motivated. I know the last few months I’m going
done that same road, for various reasons. Best wishes to ya.

Jeff,

As always you have your fingers in sooo many places, your flying is excellent. I’ve watch ‘em all
and the one you were testing the new paddles was awesome, you were really cranking out the
figure 8's at full bore. Glad ya didn’t make any goals there on the field. LOLâ€
I’m very impressed young man.

Vic,

Hey ya Ba$tard, how ya doing? LOL! I know your having a field day with the F-16, and working
on putting some gear on er’. Hope that works out well for you. I’m like you on the computer stuff,
I use to follow it all the time, even built 2 computers from parts laying around. But, like you said,
by the time you learn one system, your two behind. 18 months is a long time in the computer
world before it’s obsolete. I just use what I have, when it breaks, go get a new one.

Jpee,

Glad you’re up from your nap, it’s about time. Man, that 600 is so cool and you’ve got your
flying down pretty darn good too. The power from a B400 can be intimidating to some, I can’t
imagine a 600 in real life. YIKES ALMIGHTY, they’ve got the power for sure.

Jay,

Is there something wrong with youtube.? I went there to watch a few of your videos and there are
only three to be displayed. I know you had A LOT more than that. Hope things are still good
with work. I've always loved this one, so graceful and with Ricky Nelson singing in the background, gotta love it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfLNLbhB2K0

God Bless,

Dave

Old 03-31-2009, 01:37 PM
J-MICHAEL

Is there something wrong with youtube.? I went there to watch a few of your videos and there are
only three to be displayed. I know you had A LOT more than that

Thanks For the kind words Dave... BTW... You-Tube = +0....
Old 03-31-2009, 02:04 PM
choppersrule

Jim,

Thanks for the offer on the gyro set-up. Lord knows, I'm gonna need it. The programmable stuff is a new ball game for me.
I'll be checking later for your link to the next video from ya.

Jeff,

Yes Sir, loving every minute of it. I'm going slow on the B400, funds are a little tight right now with Liz's Vision stuff, and today she tells me she's got a lower tooth that has to be removed. (There goes the gyro, [sm=drowning.gif][sm=drowning.gif][sm=drowning.gif])YIKES, it never ends. LMAO

Yes, youtube seems to be behind on the tech end of it, I see ya got 7 vids over on Vimeo already. Must better quality for sure.

Dave
Old 03-31-2009, 02:13 PM
Wnuk

Yes Dave, I did make it to HF and picked up the caliper. The price was just great and I like it a lot. Gets the job done with no fuss or muss.

I'm seriously considering the Flasher 450 next time the B400 gets stuffed pretty bad. I'm looking around for comments and reviews on it. I'll keep ya posted.

Jim

edit: Here's the link to the video with the Samsung. It's MUCH better quality than the Sony for videos. Youtube is still processing it, might be a bit before its active.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Qh49iMNey0

Old 03-31-2009, 03:04 PM
choppersrule

Jim

I'm glad I posted about the calipers and ya benefitted from it. If I see anymore deals, anywhere, I'll post them for all.

Your video is already on youtube, didn't take that long. Excellent video BTW, but those trees so close, can be intimidating I'm sure at times. I watched it several times, watching closely. Man the 401 gyro, surely does its job, doesn't it, and I'm sure along with the Futaba tail servo. The piros you did were great and I love the snap they make. I did notice that you favor right hand turns, I'm the opposite, I favor left hand turns. That's just how the old brain works.. Are you left handed by chance? Also, I noticed that the wind was up for some time during the video session and the Blade 400 seemed to handle it very well. Punch out's looked fantastic, solid as a flippin' rock.

Flasher 450: I looked at a couple sites, and with the specs and components, it looks very promising. Especially being Trex v2 compatible. Trex parts in a lot of cases are less expensive than Blade 400 parts. E-flite was always a little on the high side anyways.
Here's a video of the Flasher I found on youtube. The pilot, obviously towards the end of the video, isn't your back yard flyer. However, it does show the capability of the Flasher 450 and that's the important part for decision making processes.

Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf-euczjjr8&NR=1

Dave
Old 03-31-2009, 04:40 PM
choppersrule

Jeff,

You’ll get a kick out of this one. I noticed on my HBK 3 that I had a tiny tiny little bit of head
vibration at lower RPM. I took the blades off to re-balance them and they checked out okay.
I spooled the heli up with no blades on it and the shaft, looking from the top looked perfect.
I got out the digital scale I got at Harbor Freights a week or two ago.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93543

Weighed the blades and there was about ½ gram difference. I stuck on some good old scotch tape
to the CG of the lightest blade, until they both weighed the same. I stuck the blades back on the
heli and sure enough at about the same RPM the vibration was gone. I read awhile back that
1/100th of a gram can throw things off. Weird!!!

Here’s the fun part, when I had one of the blades on the digital scale, for some crazy reason (this
is how my brain works, LMAO!). From about 6 inches away from the scale, I blew on it, like you
would blowing out Birthday Candles. YIKES ALMIGHTY, the scale jumped up 2 full grams.
Man are these things sensitive. GREAT INVESTMENT for sure.

Later gater,

Dave
Old 03-31-2009, 05:10 PM
J-MICHAEL

Heh.... You've been checking up on me again ! [8D] I'am guessing your "saying in a nice way to balance them blades"...LMAO... Were sneaking around over at the Struggling thread when I posted this just recently ? :

I use to balance my blades way back in the beginning, but I haven't done that for a long time now. Slap my wrists, but they my heli's track killer and show no signs of vibration, so the hek with it...LMAO... (don't tell nobody... ) I only use CF blades so that could help in them being balanced, but all my stickers sometimes plastered on the blades I'am sure throws some stuff off...Lol...

Take care !

~ Jeff

Lol...! So I guess I've gotten a little lazy eh ?! So then I make myself go over just now and weigh my blades.... One question however.... How did you know my blades were about 1/2 gram off by guessing ?! Your scaring me ! Pictures say the rest ! Now I HAVE to balance them... Its always better just not to know I thought...Lol...!

Cheers,

~ Jeff
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80361.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	1170064   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82251.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	1170065  
Old 03-31-2009, 05:46 PM
choppersrule

Jeff,

I do check up on ya, but not on this blade balance thing. Just something I always do, and the digital scale points out your errors, for sure. Jeff,, blade balancing is super critical, per say, thing in your heli. Those blade tips are really cranking out the MPH.
Typically, of course depending on your head speed and length of the main blade. It could run between 150 and 175 MPH or more.
It doesn't take much to throw that kind of speed, to hell and high water. That's why I mentioned 1/100 of a gram, I've read that on a web site about 6 or 8 months ago, and I try to keep to it. It really does make a difference. Take the 10 minutes or less, to do it right and be rewarded from your efforts.[8D] Remember,, SET-UP. Takes time and worth it. Makes for the perfect flyer![sm=49_49.gif]

YIKES ALMIGHTY, one sticker on the blade and you've just messed up a good blade balance. On the 1/2 gram off, I have ESP. LMAO! Put the stickers on first, then balance the blades.

Take care Dude,,

Dave

ORIGINAL: J-MICHAEL

Heh.... You've been checking up on me again ! [8D] I'am guessing your "saying in a nice way to balance them blades"...LMAO... Were sneaking around over at the Struggling thread when I posted this just recently ? :

I use to balance my blades way back in the beginning, but I haven't done that for a long time now. Slap my wrists, but they my heli's track killer and show no signs of vibration, so the hek with it...LMAO... (don't tell nobody... ) I only use CF blades so that could help in them being balanced, but all my stickers sometimes plastered on the blades I'am sure throws some stuff off...Lol...

Take care !

~ Jeff

Lol...! So I guess I've gotten a little lazy eh ?! So then I make myself go over just now and weigh my blades.... One question however.... How did you know my blades were about 1/2 gram off by guessing ?! Your scaring me ! Pictures say the rest ! Now I HAVE to balance them... Its always better just not to know I thought...Lol...!

Cheers,

~ Jeff
Old 03-31-2009, 05:57 PM
J-MICHAEL

Dave ~

Lol... Well there's more than one sticker. I got them plastered all over the blades top and bottom ! Yeah I got lazy... Funny thing though is I see no vibrations and the tracking is spot on. But I know it will make a big diff balancing them.

Hey.... Here is a cool link if ya want to check what your tip speed is on your blades below. I think the last time I checked with my set-up with a 15t it was over 200 mph... Crazy huh ? Lots of other good stuff there as well...

http://dhrc.rchomepage.com/calcAdvanced.htm

Gotta run,

~ Jeff
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67028.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	1170105  
Old 03-31-2009, 07:34 PM
Wnuk

ORIGINAL: choppersrule

Jim

I'm glad I posted about the calipers and ya benefitted from it. If I see anymore deals, anywhere, I'll post them for all.

Your video is already on youtube, didn't take that long. Excellent video BTW, but those trees so close, can be intimidating I'm sure at times. I watched it several times, watching closely. Man the 401 gyro, surely does its job, doesn't it, and I'm sure along with the Futaba tail servo. The piros you did were great and I love the snap they make. I did notice that you favor right hand turns, I'm the opposite, I favor left hand turns. That's just how the old brain works.. Are you left handed by chance? Also, I noticed that the wind was up for some time during the video session and the Blade 400 seemed to handle it very well. Punch out's looked fantastic, solid as a flippin' rock.

Flasher 450: I looked at a couple sites, and with the specs and components, it looks very promising. Especially being Trex v2 compatible. Trex parts in a lot of cases are less expensive than Blade 400 parts. E-flite was always a little on the high side anyways.
Here's a video of the Flasher I found on youtube. The pilot, obviously towards the end of the video, isn't your back yard flyer. However, it does show the capability of the Flasher 450 and that's the important part for decision making processes.

Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf-euczjjr8&NR=1

Dave

I'm right handed. Can't say why I prefer right turns, it's more of a comfort thing I think. The trees don't mind me much, I only scare them now and then The 401 and 3154 do an outstanding job IMO. A few weeksback I had it in a hover in a cross wind with the left side of the heli facing direct into a 15MPH steady wind. I used aileron to keep it steady and the tail never wandered. It kept that nose pointed right where I put it. I can't say enough good things about it.

In watching the video of the Flasher, I was as impressed with the houses he was flying near as I was with the heli. LOL. It sure does look like it has potential. I'd like to know what motor he was running in it as it seemed t have a ton of head speed.

Jim

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.