Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE Engine Pricing

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 07:19 AM
ckangaroo70
My Feedback: (51)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: DLE Engine Pricing

Ah crud! I just got a FREE SHIPPING offer in my email from Tower on $99 order thru December 20th! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD SOMEONE PLEASE STOP ME!!! Actually don't stop me today...I need some new servos. You can stop me after I get my servos ordered and then thats it! Unless of course they send me another one of those $10 off $50 codes!AHHHGGGG!
Old 12-17-2010, 08:07 AM
microdon2
My Feedback: (47)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did I read here that DLE is not going to see to Chinese Wholesalers or discounters? And does that include Hobby City? Second qeustio - at Hobby City, their price for the DLE 30 is $209, and Tower is asking $319. Now as a Tower Hobbies Supersaver member I know I can get the discount ($50?), and a two year warrantee, and free shipping - so, $269. From Hobby City I'll pay shipping ($30?, so a total of $239?) and am not confident at all in any support or return policy with them (no one ever answers their support line, though they have answered emails). Also, the DLE 30 is currently out of stock at Hobby City. So, if my numbers and assumptions are correct, is it worth dealing with Hobby City on the DLE 30 to save $30-40?
Old 12-17-2010, 08:11 AM
SpinnerRow

ORIGINAL: microdon2

Did I read here that DLE is not going to see to Chinese Wholesalers or discounters? And does that include Hobby City? Second qeustio - at Hobby City, their price for the DLE 30 is $209, and Tower is asking $319. Now as a Tower Hobbies Supersaver member I know I can get the discount ($50?), and a two year warrantee, and free shipping - so, $269. From Hobby City I'll pay shipping ($30?, so a total of $239?) and am not confident at all in any support or return policy with them (no one ever answers their support line, though they have answered emails). Also, the DLE 30 is currently out of stock at Hobby City. So, if my numbers and assumptions are correct, is it worth dealing with Hobby City on the DLE 30 to save $30-40?
I've never ordered from Hobby City because of your same concerns. I might try to order a couple of Lipos from them in the future though. The Tower discount on the DLE-30 is $60 so the price is $259, 2 year warranty and free shipping. Hard to beat for sure.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:53 AM
microdon2

Just ordered my DLE 30 from Tower! (and a couple of props to get me over $300). And with code 010BG I got $60 off, and free shipping, and I did confirm the 2-year warrantee. Merry Christman to me! Now I just need a plane to PUT it in...
Old 12-17-2010, 09:24 AM
SpinnerRow

Just ordered my DLE 30 from Tower! (and a couple of props to get me over $300). And with code 010BG I got $60 off, and free shipping, and I did confirm the 2-year warrantee. Merry Christman to me! Now I just need a plane to PUT it in...
Put your flame suit on. The tree huggers and flag wavers are going to eat you alive!
Old 12-17-2010, 09:32 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And you had a DLE dealer in your home town, where any needed service was only a phone call and a 5 minute drive away......
Old 12-17-2010, 09:39 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: SpinnerRow

Put your flame suit on. The tree huggers and flag wavers are going to eat you alive!
Just a note....he will find out in the long run about saving...when he is trying to get his engine & everthing running right. The guys that bought where theyhave good service will be having fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-17-2010, 09:44 AM
microdon2

I've never had a problem with Tower. They have good phone service, have a nice selection, an informative and easy to use web site, and their tech support is very helpful and non-judgemental (which is, unfortunately, more than I can say for some threaders on RC Universe). And, unlike my LHS (which is an hour round trip and is more RC-car centric), Tower usually has what I need in stock.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:22 AM
SpinnerRow

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

And you had a DLE dealer in your home town, where any needed service was only a phone call and a 5 minute drive away......
Get ready to gnash your teeth!!! I had more than six DLE dealers in my area (DFW) and still bought from Tower. Eeeeeewwwweeeee!

ORIGINAL: captinjohn
Just a note....he will find out in the long run about saving...when he is trying to get his engine & everthing running right.
Can't he post up on this forum if he has issues or is everyone going to shun him for buying at Tower?

"OK, everyone that has bought from Tower Hobbies this year please leave!"
Old 12-17-2010, 10:38 AM
rockprop

its 169.00 at value hobby
Old 12-17-2010, 10:46 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: rockprop

What is $169 at Value Hobby?

Old 12-17-2010, 10:46 AM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

I tell you what raptureboy... the difference is called a monopoly... when the small start-up becomes the whale in the market niche and starts anti-competitive practices such as sole source market areas and controlling suppliers pricing then there are anti-trust laws being broken. The US government is asleep at the wheel in finding these frauds. The monopoly company becomes huge, the competitors disappear and the price gouging starts. The monopolists chase every source of revenue including preventing workers full time to avoid paying health insurance cost... guess who gets to pay for the 39 hour workers when they get sick... most likely taxpayers.

Walmart, Microsoft, Intel and many other companies practice anti-competitive pricing.... and the government is asleep... when the guilty verdict is finally reached the money goes to the US treasury, not the people purchasing the goods and services.

Small and medium sized companies are good for the economy.... Huge companies are ultimately horrible for the stockholders and customers. If you want to keep the hobby industry healthy, you spread you shopping dollars around and sometimes pay retail prices to help keep the local guy going.

ORIGINAL: raptureboy

I always find it interesting that people will pride themselves in being an American, and in the free enterprise system that we enjoy here, and has allowed a company like Tower Hobbies, or Walmart, or any other big company to go from being someones dream of having their own business, to being a huge success.Then when they get successful through risk taking,hard work and being competitive, the same people want to slam them for being big and competitive and under selling everybody else. I work for the largest home improvment company in the world but in 1987 when the two unemployed founders opened their first store,they would put the empty boxes from their displays up in the overhead racks to make it look like they had lots of goods and they did whatever it took to make their customers happy, and their employees as well. The point is you can't have it both ways ! Tower,Walmart, Home Depot and others gave people what they wanted, good product and good service at a good price and that is why they are successful. I have had nothing but great service from Tower and I've had some really bad service from smaller outfits. I don't think anybody decides to buy something no matter what their budget and says'' you know I think I want to pay more for this today'' I have a small hardware store in my town that is doing well because the owner got competitive and niched himself into the market by providing great service and knowing what his market is. I buy from him when I can and when it makes sense. I will most likely buy my DLE from Jody rather than Tower because he's competitive his shipping is fair and I just like to spread the wealth around. Who knows maybe some day he will be the next Tower Hobbies hopefully we won't be here bashing him for being successful.Think about it.[8D]
Old 12-17-2010, 10:54 AM
SpinnerRow

ORIGINAL: w8ye

ORIGINAL: rockprop

What is $169 at Value Hobby?

Not a DLE 20.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:05 AM
captinjohn

This was right on................................................ ..................................so here it is again<hr />I tell you what raptureboy... the difference is called a monopoly... when the small start-up becomes the whale in the market niche and starts anti-competitive practices such as sole source market areas and controlling suppliers pricing then there are anti-trust laws being broken. The US government is asleep at the wheel in finding these frauds. The monopoly company becomes huge, the competitors disappear and the price gouging starts. The monopolists chase every source of revenue including preventing workers full time to avoid paying health insurance cost... guess who gets to pay for the 39 hour workers when they get sick... most likely taxpayers.

Walmart, Microsoft, Intel and many other companies practice anti-competitive pricing.... and the government is asleep... when the guilty verdict is finally reached the money goes to the US treasury, not the people purchasing the goods and services.

Small and medium sized companies are good for the economy.... Huge companies are ultimately horrible for the stockholders and customers. If you want to keep the hobby industry healthy, you spread you shopping dollars around and sometimes pay retail prices to help keep the local guy going.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:37 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've bought battery type items from Value Hobby and they were as advertised and prompt.

But they are out of stock on DLE items.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:37 AM
Woody218
My Feedback: (24)

Which one of these scenarios makes more economic sense for a consumer?

1. - Several companies sell the same product, so in order to remain competitive, they have to keep their pricing in line, because if they're priced more than what their competition's pricing is, they will lose sales.

2. - Have one company with an exclusive distributorship offering a product at an inflated price. If you want the specific product, you have to pay the price, because there is no competition.

Hobbico has for years practiced scenario #2.

Old 12-17-2010, 12:42 PM
SpinnerRow

ORIGINAL: Woody218-RCU

Which one of these scenarios makes more economic sense for a consumer?

1. - Several companies sell the same product, so in order to remain competitive, they have to keep their pricing in line, because if they're priced more than what their competition's pricing is, they will lose sales.

2. - Have one company with an exclusive distributorship offering a product at an inflated price. If you want the specific product, you have to pay the price, because there is no competition.

Hobbico has for years practiced scenario #2.

If someone sells something at an inflated price then someone will make something just as good and sell it way cheaper. Desert Aircraft was lovin' life until DLE came along.

***NOTE*** - I have no intention of arguing with anyone about my "just as good" comment above!!!
Old 12-17-2010, 12:44 PM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: jedijody

DLE has ceased selling their engines to all Chinese wholesale and discount outlets.
Somebody told me DLE has only one local {China} authorized dealer; www.sdshobby.net

Rots o ruck trying to get timely warranty service there from here.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:11 PM
summerwind

ORIGINAL: a1pcfixer

ORIGINAL: jedijody

DLE has ceased selling their engines to all Chinese wholesale and discount outlets.
Somebody told me DLE has only one local {China} authorized dealer; www.sdshobby.net

Rots o ruck trying to get timely warranty service there from here.
hey are they for real?
i bought the HK401 to try from HK.
but the place you link to has the Futaba GY401 for only 21 bucks?????
that's 130 bucks cheaper than Tower
Old 12-17-2010, 01:14 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

I just now bought a DLE20 from SDS....$229 shipped to Arizona by air parcel...Warranty ? I am my own warranty person...
Old 12-17-2010, 01:18 PM
Clay Walters

Is all this speculation a jump of the gun? Won't this affect folks like Valley View as well? How does this help Tower Hobbies in the long run? One of the main reasons DLE has been so popular is they've been selling nice little engines at a nice little price. Change up the recipe and the popularity will decline.

Oh well, I ordered mine on a whim from a link provided in one of the early threads on the DLE20. I just liked the beam mount and the single hole prop mounting like a standard glow engine enough to give a gasser a whirl. Hope it runs. [sm=stupid.gif]

Clay
Old 12-17-2010, 02:17 PM
captinjohn

ORIGINAL: Antique

I just now bought a DLE20 from SDS....$229 shipped to Arizona by air parcel...Warranty ? I am my own warranty person...
Same her on the warranty ...I am also my own warrany person. There are lots of good tips out there from you Antique &amp; a few others. I thank you or that. Take care my friend. Capt,n
Old 12-17-2010, 02:21 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Yes it will impact Valley View, and others. As Tower continues to undersell the rest of the market with lower prices generated by some super saver membership the other dealers will slowly lose their sales to Tower, driving the smaller vendors out of the engine market. When people stop focusing entirely on themselves they might be able to finally project out far enough to see the results of their actions.

The Hobbico group has a very long history, dating back to the 1970's, of doing exactly as they are doing now. Enter the market off the backs of those that did the work, undersell the competition, then increase pricing after they drove everyone else int the poor house. OS and Futaba used to be relatively inexpensive until Tower became the SOLE IMPORTER of those products. The beginning of that prpcess has already begun for the DLE line. It will incrementally change until Tower holds all the import rights to DLE. As they exert more control of the product line the level of service decrease proportunate to the increase in control. Look at their service histories with Fuji, OS, and Futaba. Unfortunately most people are too stupid, self centered, and selfish to see past the end of their noses.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:31 PM
raptureboy

ORIGINAL: on_your_six

I tell you what raptureboy... the difference is called a monopoly... when the small start-up becomes the whale in the market niche and starts anti-competitive practices such as sole source market areas and controlling suppliers pricing then there are anti-trust laws being broken. The US government is asleep at the wheel in finding these frauds. The monopoly company becomes huge, the competitors disappear and the price gouging starts. The monopolists chase every source of revenue including preventing workers full time to avoid paying health insurance cost... guess who gets to pay for the 39 hour workers when they get sick... most likely taxpayers.

ORIGINAL: raptureboy

I always find it interesting that people will pride themselves in being an American, and in the free enterprise system that we enjoy here, and has allowed a company like Tower Hobbies, or Walmart, or any other big company to go from being someones dream of having their own business, to being a huge success.Then when they get successful through risk taking,hard work and being competitive, the same people want to slam them for being big and competitive and under selling everybody else. I work for the largest home improvment company in the world but in 1987 when the two unemployed founders opened their first store,they would put the empty boxes from their displays up in the overhead racks to make it look like they had lots of goods and they did whatever it took to make their customers happy, and their employees as well. The point is you can't have it both ways ! Tower,Walmart, Home Depot and others gave people what they wanted, good product and good service at a good price and that is why they are successful. I have had nothing but great service from Tower and I've had some really bad service from smaller outfits. I don't think anybody decides to buy something no matter what their budget and says'' you know I think I want to pay more for this today'' I have a small hardware store in my town that is doing well because the owner got competitive and niched himself into the market by providing great service and knowing what his market is. I buy from him when I can and when it makes sense. I will most likely buy my DLE from Jody rather than Tower because he's competitive his shipping is fair and I just like to spread the wealth around. Who knows maybe some day he will be the next Tower Hobbies hopefully we won't be here bashing him for being successful.Think about it.[8D]
Do you really want more government intrusion into your life ? It's the reason why we are 14 trillion dollars in debt and growing, and why the FAA is about to make some decisions that could very well intrude on our enjoyment of this great hobby.The reason the free enterprise system doesn't work the way it should is because everybody wants the government to do something about what they perceive to be unfair. Those places that don't do business in a fair way according to what I think is right,I just don't do business with. Like I said before, I buy from those places that I believe provide good products,good service, and fair prices and if it makes sense to buy from A more than B. I think the original post was where can I buy an engine at the best price, not who should I buy from and why. Enough said. Merry Christmas to all (while it's still legal to say so [8D])
Old 12-17-2010, 02:40 PM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: summerwind

hey are they for real?
Heck, I dunno. I just threw that in here to stir the pot.[sm=72_72.gif]

I just bought my second DLE20cc from Jody@VVRC yesterday.[sm=thumbs_up.gif]

A "good deal" involves the complete package; price, service,
support, customer loyalty, repeat business, and so on.

Every year while on vacation, I visit a hobby shop in N.C. Usually spend between $300.00 and $500.00 each time!
Tower doesn't get my business anymore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.