Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Leopard 1 1A5 Turret in 1/16

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Leopard 1 1A5 Turret in 1/16

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2020, 07:10 AM
dsketcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I finally received the turret today. I can definitely can say that it is very high quality. I got the production sample, so it is just as you see in the pictures posting by Dragunov.
The barrel is hollow so the flash unit can easily be installed. The base for it is direct fit to the Tamiya tank and can be removed to fit the turret ring for the Leopard 2.
The ammunition hatch functions as do the range finder covers. The commander and loaders hatches are closed but appear to only need to be cut out and replaced with the Tamiya hatches.
Breech assembly doesn't seem to be any problem to fit a servo for recoil or elevation. There is plenty of room inside.
The turret stowage basket is very fine construction and can be replaced with wire.
Considering that this is the only cast turret on the market ( Perfect Scale no longer makes one ), combined with the very good quality, this is a good buy. The only thing that would make it better is if it was injection molded.

If anyone is still considering buying one, you won't be disappointed. Quality comes with a price.

Don

Last edited by dsketcher; 04-06-2020 at 10:07 AM.
The following users liked this post:
LUIVRAOS (09-30-2020)
Old 04-06-2020, 07:40 AM
Crius

Received 318 Likes on 262 Posts

$650 for a turret? Is it made of silver? That's absolutely ridiculous, I don't care what anybody says. I've been saying for years, there's a difference between making a fair profit and ripping people off.
Old 04-06-2020, 08:16 AM
tankme

Received 226 Likes on 182 Posts

Things are worth what people are willing to pay for them. If no one buys it then I guess it's over priced. If you are the only game in town then you can do what you want. It's the whole basis of capitalism. This is a hobby and if a $650 turret makes you happy then go be happy. If it doesn't than don't buy it. Glad you like the turret Don. If I added up my hourly rate in all the time I've spent on my tanks, my tanks would be worth way more than anyone would ever pay for them in a million years.
Old 04-06-2020, 09:38 AM
RichJohnson

Received 386 Likes on 244 Posts

Tankme is right. If you can budget 650 for just a turret and you need it great for you. I still need to buy a m51 kit which is nearly the same cost. I just cant spend 650 for a turret, no matter how good it is, i dont think its worth 650, im sorry, and Ive spent big money on tank parts before, im not a cheapskate.

My view of looking at it is price point for marketing. If he dropped his price to say 200-250 how many more would he sell and would he make a bigger profit than selling 2 at 600 bucks.

Ive decided to not open my Leopard 1 kit at this time and keep its value. Sadly i bought a custom ETO tranny already that was geared for 40 mph scale speed. I will just look for a PS turret someday or sell the kit and tranny. I cant put that kind of money into a tank when it will still have bad axles and wheels that roll their way to death. I had intended to hope to be able to convert the leo 1 to bearing wheels, as hard as it may be i think i could have done it. The aftermarket brand are just way too costly. You would have 2k in your tank and not even any electronics yet.
Old 04-06-2020, 10:28 PM
Pcomm1.v2

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Default The Tamiya Leopard 4; rare and highly collectible model.

The turret asking price seems steep, but it is also appropriate for a Tamiya rc Leopard 1A5 build, when using a Tamiya 1A4 Kit for the custom conversion.

Opinion, the asking price for the after market turret works for me, if I was spec’ing a Tamiya Leopard 1A4 f/o kit custom conversion build to a 1A5. Unfortunately, I am not building anymore Leo’s. I understand pretty well from my build experience and reading about other modeler’s fine builds, that it is expensive to build the Tamiya Leo 1A4 Kit as a f/o model. Adding the 1A5 turret upgrade makes the build a more interesting model.

The Tamiya Leopard 1A4 rc kit, new in the collectible, old stock, first generation box; the much later Tamiya re-release Leo 4 static display kit and any well built full option Leo 4 model from either kit are all very desirable, collectible and valuable. Fun to own, collect/display and or run. A well done Tamiya Leo 1A4 full option finished model will easily fetch over $3500.00.

I have built three. Two were Daryl Turner custom collaborations and one I kept and the other I sold on to one of Daryl’s friends. It took more than a year before I finally gave in and let it go. The Tamiya rc Leopard A4’s have a long established reputation as prized, unique, models.

My third build, a Tamiya Leo 4 NATO camouflage f/o using 100% Tamiya JS2 f/o rc gear, plus Tamiya Panther G gearboxes, was built for a friend for actual cost; it is just a cool hobby for me. With all the typical bells and whistles, the third Leopard 1A4 was a $1500.00 RTR build. FYI, it used the kit idlers, which certainly work better than the HennTech Leo 4 idlers, if running Kenny Kong heavy Leo 4 metal tracks, just saying.

Be safe and well, John

Daryl Turner custom engineering and fabrication.

Last edited by Pcomm1.v2; 04-07-2020 at 10:47 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Pcomm1.v2:
LUIVRAOS (09-30-2020), Pnzjgr (08-21-2020)
Old 04-14-2020, 02:20 PM
Pnzjgr

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks like AFV-Model is now offering the Leopard 1A1 Turret for 400 Eur.
https://afv-model.com/2599/Leopard-1...W9aRXo4hgYxc-4
LUIVRAOS (10-27-2020)
Old 08-13-2020, 01:55 PM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Pnzjgr
Looks like AFV-Model is now offering the Leopard 1A1 Turret for 400 Eur.
https://afv-model.com/2599/Leopard-1...W9aRXo4hgYxc-4
And the barrels not even included
Old 08-25-2020, 01:13 PM
afrikenz

Originally Posted by bowlman
Is anyone making a 1/16 Leopard 1 1A5 turret I know that Perfect Scale Modellbau was making one at one time but not now .
Is someone 3D printing one or is there someone else doing one after seeing Benjamin's 1/6 Leopard 1 1A5 id would like to convert my 1A4 .
Thanks
Jimmy
I am making the STL file to build the complete turret in 1/16 scale, for my gepard Tamiya, maybe i will do also the up Hull of the tank to be more realistic.
bowlman (08-25-2020)
Old 08-25-2020, 01:17 PM
afrikenz

can you let me know stl costs to order one Leopard 1 A1 turret and barrel STL FILE?
[email protected]

Thank you
Old 08-25-2020, 04:23 PM
bowlman

Received 131 Likes on 100 Posts

Will it be lighter then the cast Perfect scale version .
Thanks
Jimmy
Old 08-26-2020, 03:05 AM
Crius

Received 318 Likes on 262 Posts

Hey, Jimmy, if you don't mind me going off topic for just a second I've got a funny story for you. When I first joined the Forum I saw your username and saw that you were in Jackson and you and I were soon talking to each other, but it took me at least three years to figure out that the reason you have that username is because you work in a bowling alley. For the first few years I thought you were one of those old-time Artisan dudes with a wood lathe, kicking out salad bowls.
LUIVRAOS (10-27-2020)
Old 08-26-2020, 12:44 PM
bowlman

Yes I'm a Facility Manager in a 60 Lane bowling alley been working in bowling alleys sense 1977 worked my way up from a porter position back then so I've made a career out of it .
My centers closed still tell the Gov ok's to open but I'm still working 40 Hours a week .

Last edited by bowlman; 08-26-2020 at 12:46 PM.
Old 08-27-2020, 04:09 AM
Koenigstiger

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default New producer

Hello,

ist gives a new producer for a Leopard 1 casting turret = "Der EMMA_Laden" = https://www.der-emma-laden.de/deutsch/leopard-1/
"Emma" was the nickname of the old german 5 t military truck of the good old Bundeswehr - myself make on it the truck-driver-license in 1979 by the Bundeswehr in Brunswick.

Good luck and bon chance

Guenther
bowlman (08-27-2020)
Old 08-27-2020, 01:04 PM
bowlman

Hi Guenther
Nice find
Thanks
Jimmy
Old 09-30-2020, 05:20 PM
LUIVRAOS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I'm looking for a model like this, well, exactly a 1/16 LEOPARD A4 turret. to replace one for the 1977 tamiya tank, but this will do the job absolutely well!.
Do you have something like that?, how much will be the .obj? or in case you're selling the 3D printed kit, How much will it be for one?
Old 09-30-2020, 07:40 PM
LUIVRAOS

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Dragunov
Hi,
please send me a message if you are interested in the turret.

Best regards
Benjamin
I saw the prices on thread. can't afford the printed one, but maybe I'll buy the plans from you for non commercial purposes since I'm lacking of one.
Old 10-07-2020, 08:14 PM
LUIVRAOS

Unhappy Selling Tamiya's Lower part of full function Leopard 1 A14

Since I have not had luck finding a turret suitable to my budget, (Or it's a very expensive project for a poor teacher) I'm letting it go for about $400 it's got all motors and futaba servos to work and is already working. I'll receive payment via paypal, or if you want me to put an add on Ebay same to me, but I thought it was fair enough to tell you guys first.
Old 10-27-2020, 10:50 AM
LUIVRAOS

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bowlman
Is anyone making a 1/16 Leopard 1 1A5 turret I know that Perfect Scale Modellbau was making one at one time but not now .
Is someone 3D printing one or is there someone else doing one after seeing Benjamin's 1/6 Leopard 1 1A5 id would like to convert my 1A4 .
Thanks
Jimmy

Hello!, here is a turret from perfect scale:
the page is on "perfect-scale.de/de/Conversion-Kits-1---16/Leopard-1A5---Leopard-1A1A1-Turm.html"

It is the only one I have found. I have been looking for a turret like yours to 3D scan it, modify and print it, because they don't make them anymore, If you are willing to make the modification, I might be interested on your old turret!

Old 10-27-2020, 06:56 PM
LUIVRAOS

Originally Posted by afrikenz
I am making the STL file to build the complete turret in 1/16 scale, for my gepard Tamiya, maybe i will do also the up Hull of the tank to be more realistic.
are you considering to sell the stl's?
Old 11-01-2020, 10:13 AM
RichJohnson

The Perfect Scale urethane turret kit is back in production and available. I ordered one and had to wait for the coronvirus ban to lift and am waiting for it to make its way through the system as it seems like it take months now.
Old 11-01-2020, 10:18 AM
tankme

Received 226 Likes on 182 Posts

It's so strange how some things can get here in days and others take months. My orders from Germany and Malaysia took less than a week, but gearboxes from China took over 2 months.
Old 11-01-2020, 10:20 AM
RichJohnson

Originally Posted by Koenigstiger
Hello,

ist gives a new producer for a Leopard 1 casting turret = "Der EMMA_Laden" = https://www.der-emma-laden.de/deutsch/leopard-1/
"Emma" was the nickname of the old german 5 t military truck of the good old Bundeswehr - myself make on it the truck-driver-license in 1979 by the Bundeswehr in Brunswick.

Good luck and bon chance

Guenther
I have tried to place an order with this site and then sent an email to try and purchase things but I havent heard back from them. Might be a vaporwear dream.... I dont know. If I hear back or get parts I will advise
Old 11-01-2020, 10:22 AM
RichJohnson

Originally Posted by tankme
It's so strange how some things can get here in days and others take months. My orders from Germany and Malaysia took less than a week, but gearboxes from China took over 2 months.

I have something from Ludwig that took a month to the US and tracking says that it has been sitting in Los Angeles since the 6th. I bet they are waiting to fill up an entire truck before they drive it down to San Diego...... No wonder the USPS sucks....
Old 11-02-2020, 09:30 PM
RichJohnson

I just got my Perfect Scale urethane turret. Wow its amazing. Wonderful detail and urethane quality. All the parts and details included and with some modelers ingenuity easily made to operate completely and ruggedly for servicing turret components. I really look forward to building this model now. It has so much more detail and accessory parts than the 3d printed model variants we have seen. The Aluminum barrel is very high quality and I would expect that by its self would cost about $100. None of the armor is molded onto the turret. There are tiny stand off brackets included for all the armor mounts.

If you are considering building a Leo 1, 1a1, or A5 its a perfect kit for it.

Turret kit