Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Boeing T7A - XXL size

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Boeing T7A - XXL size

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2022, 07:47 AM
Ceeray

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

No, I did not balance them but I made sure that the linkage is solid. Only slop comes from fuselage bearings now.

What colour did you happen to order btw?
Oh, I swapped the gear door servos other way round so the linkage is locked when doors open to keep the barn doors solidly in place when opened. I MAY add magnets to keep them closed and servo current low.

Last edited by Ceeray; 04-15-2022 at 07:50 AM.
Old 04-15-2022, 08:19 AM
Agrav8ed

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Ceeray
No, I did not balance them but I made sure that the linkage is solid. Only slop comes from fuselage bearings now.

What colour did you happen to order btw?
Oh, I swapped the gear door servos other way round so the linkage is locked when doors open to keep the barn doors solidly in place when opened. I MAY add magnets to keep them closed and servo current low.
I ordered the Canadian scheme, the same as yours. Its the best looking one in my opinion. I am looking forward to the build. Not many flying video's out there and I have read some post (Facebook turbine classified section for a T7a) stating that the smaller and the XXL may be a little difficult to handle with the gear doors down. There was also a flutter issue with the rudder. But I am optimistic. I plan to go through the jet and check the glue joints, coat the formers with thinned epoxy, and maybe extend the carbon tube further into the rudder based off of this pic.
Thanks,
Tone
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	277676314_10217793738674779_2534316092587500996_n.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	2271691   Click image for larger version

Name:	277788844_10217793734834683_2692093684529008568_n.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	2271692  
Old 04-15-2022, 11:00 AM
Ceeray

Bummer that looks bad! Is the fb page accessible without an account? I would like to get a look at it..
I added carbon 4mm tubes to hold vert stab rear aligned to the fuselage as there was no pins and I thought about the flutter..

But maybe adding longer carbon inside the original spar with expanding foam might help to transfer the load.

Mine is from 2nd or 3rd batch of planes.
Old 04-15-2022, 05:59 PM
Agrav8ed

Bummer that looks bad! Is the fb page accessible without an account? I would like to get a look at it..
I added carbon 4mm tubes to hold vert stab rear aligned to the fuselage as there was no pins and I thought about the flutter..

But maybe adding longer carbon inside the original spar with expanding foam might help to transfer the load.

Mine is from 2nd or 3rd batch of planes.
I am not sure if you can access the FB page without an account. Here is a link but I am not sure if it will work. https://www.facebook.com/groups/3222...earch/?q=keith
And some of the comments.
......Right hand fin fluttered and snapped half way up. In line with the servo hatch. Very poor internal structure in the fin.

......yeah, my starboard fin fluttered and snapped off half way up. Just in line with servo hatch
Also the internal carbon rod finishes at that point. When the top part of the fin broke off it shot downwards and impacted the starboard taileron. The airframe just rolled right and nosed in from about 50ft up. I was only flying around on half throttle on the maiden flight.

Tone
Old 04-18-2022, 12:27 PM
Basspilot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine will be arriving in the next week. I got mine unpainted. Plan on some major reinforcing and cool custom paint scheme.
Old 05-11-2022, 11:08 AM
Agrav8ed

So my jet finally showed up. Irst thoughts are "Holy Crap"!! It's much bigger than I thought. The overall construction is pretty good. There are some area's I would like to improve like
1. A little more glue in some of the glue joint
2. Different servo mounts for the elevator
3. Some of the geometry to the control surfaces. The stock servo arms are about 31mm and allow for way more deflection than the manual calls for. Using a smaller arm will improve resolution and make a stronger connection. Also some of the linkages are a bit too long but are screwed in all the way. However, the servos are fairly slop free and better than I expected.
4. I wish there were more than 3 hinges on these huge ailerons though, especially since they are meant to be flaperons. I may add more like Zach did to his. Have not decided yet. 5. The main gear retraction into the fuse is very tight. So tight that the wells will not even spin and put a fair amount of pressure on the wooden plate. Not sure if this can be adjusted however.

These are my plans so far for the build. I want to swap out the elevator servos to the KST A20 3813 as they have zero slop and are great servo's. I also plan to add a little more glue to certain joints, reinforce a couple of glue joints, and unilights, and afterburner and smoke. I also plan to use a Xicoy LG15 retract controller for controlling the doors and gyro controlled brakes and steering. I have not had a great history with the JP's controllers braking evenly. Overall I am very pleased with the jet and looking forward to getting it into the air. More to follow as I get into the build.
Tone

Wheels are 136mm. About 5.35"

Last edited by Agrav8ed; 05-11-2022 at 11:33 AM.
Old 05-11-2022, 11:20 AM
Ceeray

Looks familiar! Check slop in rudders..
Old 05-11-2022, 11:28 AM
Agrav8ed

Looks familiar! Check slop in rudders..
I did, I think the bottom right rudder has some lateral flex in it on the control surface side unfortunately. I make have to cut it off and redo the hinges. If so, I will just add wood supports for all three. No slop in the linkages though and it looks like they are using ball links on the rudder instead of clevis now.

Have you had a chance to maiden yours yet?
Thanks,
Tone

Last edited by Agrav8ed; 05-11-2022 at 11:35 AM.
Old 05-11-2022, 11:58 AM
Ceeray

Naah, mine is still waiting for final checks and getting that ar gyro system dialed in. I fixed ny eurosport which dipped its nose into turf after noae gear collapsed due spongy runway. Lost both wingtips etc...

Somehow my start for this season seems very slow. Im out of steam.. and maybe because the plane is so large its such a hassle to put it together for checks and dismantle it again for storing.
Old 05-20-2022, 06:10 AM
Agrav8ed

Originally Posted by Agrav8ed
I did, I think the bottom right rudder has some lateral flex in it on the control surface side unfortunately. I make have to cut it off and redo the hinges. If so, I will just add wood supports for all three. No slop in the linkages though and it looks like they are using ball links on the rudder instead of clevis now.

Have you had a chance to maiden yours yet?
Thanks,
Tone
So I was correct. They both have some lateral play on the bottom of the moving surface. But one has alot. It does not appear to be flex from the hinges mounted into the rudder but from the where it is mounted to the moving surface. After disassembling the rudders there was almost no glue on the pin hinge on the moving side. I also noticed that a few of the pin hinges rotated in place indicating a pack of a good bond or the pislns were not clean when installed. I plan to replace them all with Robart super hinges. I will also add a fourth hinge under the control horn for a bit more support. Of note, I also noticed there was a significant difference between the space between the vertical mounting plate of the left and right rudders. I planned on using 6mm ply for hinge mounting blocks but I will now need an additional layer of 3mm ply on the right rudder to make up the difference. Looks like I may have gotten a Friday evening build.
Tone

Last edited by Agrav8ed; 05-20-2022 at 06:14 AM.
Old 05-20-2022, 06:56 AM
Agrav8ed

As you can see. One rudder required an additional layer of ply to make it close to the other. On a side note, the hinges will be well supported.
Tone

Old 05-20-2022, 04:35 PM
Basspilot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got my version upainted. So far no slop in anything but still may replace the hinges. Definitely revamping the elevator setup with different bearings and supports.
Old 05-20-2022, 05:51 PM
Agrav8ed

Originally Posted by Basspilot
I got my version upainted. So far no slop in anything but still may replace the hinges. Definitely revamping the elevator setup with different bearings and supports.
The bearing arr supported in 1/4" ply so that seems okay to me. I did have some play in the shafts though. I thought it was the bearing but upon closer inspection I discovered that the holes for the rudders were slightly oversized. I cleaned them up and glued the bearing in. I know have zero slop in the elevator shafts.
I did also add some vertical supports for the elevator servos similar to Ceeray. Also swapped out the arms to something much shorter (15mm) to improve servo control and resolution. I was also able to get the Unilight afterburner installed. Add some aluminum tape to increase the effect.
Thanks,
Tone

Old 05-23-2022, 12:46 PM
Ceeray

Maidened mine today.
Cg was set 19cm behind LE earlier but then I swapped to larger rx batteries and ended up 100g nose heavy for 19cm position. And it showed when tried roll.

3 flights total. All flights were just racetrack to get the feel and dial the system to behave as wanted. The plane wants to roll with gear down very squirrelly but slower speed helps. It lands almost by itself , first landing with half flaps just sat down on the mains with engine idling and the nose stayed up for a sec or two.

The last landing with full flaps was a breeze. It wants to keep nose up a bit , meaning that you have to watch thst it doesnt get too slow on the groove and drop thru.

The brakes are a joke . At fast speed they dont do much and then they lock up suddenly causing nice blue smoke from the tires.

Also nose gear didnt want to go in with regulated 7 4V voltage. JMB / Marc told me that he uses 3s life batteries for the gear and brakes. Maybe bypassing regulation direct from li-ion 2s would raise V closer to 8V. I dont like getting more batteries and weight as its 25.4 kg with critical landing fuel and 29kg easily with full load.
Old 05-23-2022, 06:06 PM
Agrav8ed

Maidened mine today.
Cg was set 19cm behind LE earlier but then I swapped to larger rx batteries and ended up 100g nose heavy for 19cm position. And it showed when tried roll.

3 flights total. All flights were just racetrack to get the feel and dial the system to behave as wanted. The plane wants to roll with gear down very squirrelly but slower speed helps. It lands almost by itself , first landing with half flaps just sat down on the mains with engine idling and the nose stayed up for a sec or two.

The last landing with full flaps was a breeze. It wants to keep nose up a bit , meaning that you have to watch thst it doesnt get too slow on the groove and drop thru.

The brakes are a joke . At fast speed they dont do much and then they lock up suddenly causing nice blue smoke from the tires.

Also nose gear didnt want to go in with regulated 7 4V voltage. JMB / Marc told me that he uses 3s life batteries for the gear and brakes. Maybe bypassing regulation direct from li-ion 2s would raise V closer to 8V. I dont like getting more batteries and weight as its 25.4 kg with critical landing fuel and 29kg easily with full load.
You said that it wants to roll with the gear down and you also say that it almost wants to land by itself. Can you elaborate on this a bit. If it wants to roll with the gear down are you using taileron? Are the gear doors opening the same amount? How was the suspension?
thanks,,
Tone
Old 05-23-2022, 09:57 PM
Ceeray

Its squirrelly gear down and at higher speed than approach speed. When at base leg turn and final the speed goes down and then it behaves very nice.
I presume its the large barn doors... errr gear doors causing the rolling. They open evenly.

And to make it even more interesting it still wants to level wings eventually by itself in a turn... I had to feed constant aileron to keep the bank, otherwise it would have rolled level.

Tailerons are always mixed in, in the last flight I found good settings.

3rd flight I was able to retract the gear and then it was stable.

More flights to come this week hopefully.. well C.
Old 05-28-2022, 11:41 AM
Ceeray

5 more flights. Getting it dialed in. Brakes are pretty much useless, either they dont slow plane down or lock up and create a flat spot.

Tail feathers dont need much movement. Stalls straight. Hi alpha tried once but too high to say anything how it went..

Landings easy. Inertia huge. Hard to slow down. I tried rudders as airbrakes, makes a top gun braking , nose up

Canopy craked due pressure difference or something, caused my depron cockpit back wall to hit engine fod guard and stalled my engine . Forced landing successful.
Old 05-28-2022, 09:36 PM
Agrav8ed

5 more flights. Getting it dialed in. Brakes are pretty much useless, either they dont slow plane down or lock up and create a flat spot.

Tail feathers dont need much movement. Stalls straight. Hi alpha tried once but too high to say anything how it went..

Landings easy. Inertia huge. Hard to slow down. I tried rudders as airbrakes, makes a top gun braking , nose up

Canopy craked due pressure difference or something, caused my depron cockpit back wall to hit engine fod guard and stalled my engine . Forced landing successful.
not sure how the pressure from a turbine could cause the canopy to fail. Do you have any pics of the damage?
Thanks,
Tone
Old 05-28-2022, 10:58 PM
Ceeray

The following users liked this post:
jcterrettaz (07-03-2023)
Old 05-29-2022, 03:53 AM
jjantti

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Agrav8ed
not sure how the pressure from a turbine could cause the canopy to fail.
I've seen it several times already. Engine sucking more air inlets are able to deliver. High vacuum inside fuselage and weakest part of it is usually plexi frame seam. usually just imploded canopy only but in this case burst of air threw cockpit wall in to engine. Closed gear doors, low airspeed, small intakes and rapid acceleration of big engine. Thats what it typically takes.

It can also burst outside and push the whole thing off the plane but it is usually the opposite high speed dive and closing throttle. This has gone in by looking the crack.

/Jyri
Old 05-29-2022, 04:12 PM
Viper1GJ
My Feedback: (20)

Received 334 Likes on 221 Posts

Check out this canopy implosion on an Avanti XXL

The following users liked this post:
jcterrettaz (07-03-2023)
Old 05-29-2022, 05:29 PM
Agrav8ed

Originally Posted by jjantti
I've seen it several times already. Engine sucking more air inlets are able to deliver. High vacuum inside fuselage and weakest part of it is usually plexi frame seam. usually just imploded canopy only but in this case burst of air threw cockpit wall in to engine. Closed gear doors, low airspeed, small intakes and rapid acceleration of big engine. Thats what it typically takes.

It can also burst outside and push the whole thing off the plane but it is usually the opposite high speed dive and closing throttle. This has gone in by looking the crack.

/Jyri
I did not realize that was a thing. Damn. Seen tons of jets fly. Never seen that before.
Thanks,
Tone
Tone
Old 06-23-2022, 10:44 AM
Agrav8ed

For anyone interested CMjets now has kevlar tanks for this bird. Carlos has 5L and 6L options for the same price. There is also an option to get a partitioned tank for smoke also which I initially considered. However, I think that I prefer to have 6L for fuel and to use an separate smoke tank. Baja Hobbies Viper has a 5L tank and a 190n turbine and I get about seven minutes flight time. I would like to get something similar on the T&A XXL but a 240n turbine is thirsty. So I opted for the 6L fuel tank upgrade. Also added some unilight headlights to the nose gear, beacon and rudders.

Tone

Last edited by Agrav8ed; 06-23-2022 at 07:43 PM.
Old 06-23-2022, 10:15 PM
Ceeray

I flew 6-7 min flights with 5liter tank and there was at least 2 liters left after every flight. 250 XBL.
Old 06-24-2022, 06:14 AM
Agrav8ed

I flew 6-7 min flights with 5liter tank and there was at least 2 liters left after every flight. 250 XBL.
The jet is around 56-57lbs dry so I am guessing around 64-65lbs wet. You fly a 60+lbs jet for 7 minutes and only use 3L of fuel? You must have some ridiculously good throttle management. That's good to know though. That means that I can get some serious enjoyment out of my 6L tank. How are your repairs coming? Were you able to get a replacement canopy?
Thanks,
Tone

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.