Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

KMP F-7F Tigercat

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 12:43 PM
chasrb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: KMP F-7F Tigercat

I look forward to that post. Another thought is to add an additional 6mm ti the size of the cowl. You know what I mean? Split the cowl and add in two fiberglass strips of 3mm at each side.. could be done, just have to make sure it still fits on the nacel...
Old 02-28-2007, 12:47 PM
n9331v

Its great you guys are doing all the homework on the engine selections, I do like that the G20 can have a onboard starter chasrb mentioned that might be the ticket for me. Now can one install the onboard starter on the Venom 30cc. I do love the radials but the mess and fuel cost at the end of the day makes me shy away.

Ed
Old 03-01-2007, 04:14 AM
fgpierce
My Feedback: (2)

Hey guys
I'm going with a pair of spe-26cc's. No nonsense engines pared down to only whats needed. I think they'll be a good choice. It even has a rear crank for a Fema onboard starter.

Being on the second ship list is killin' me![sm=drowning.gif][sm=cry_smile.gif]
Old 03-01-2007, 07:22 AM
chasrb

fgpierce how's the performance or relaiblity on those spe-26's ? The engine looks to be coming out in another month, about the same time the Venom 30 may be here...
Old 03-01-2007, 04:22 PM
chasrb

Okay two things, first there is no crank stub atthe back of the crank case on the Venom 30. Next here is a video that may make you want to get a pair of 170's!! It may be worth the mess...
[link]http://media.putfile.com/Saito-170R[/link]

Just for grins I opend up two browsers with this and timed it so I had both in sync or very close, just enough to get an idea of what it may sound like in the twin setup...
Old 03-01-2007, 06:12 PM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

Chas,

That's my buddy Jack's Video! I bought that engine off him about a year and a half ago. It now resides in a Kangke WACO Bipe.

Bob
Old 03-01-2007, 07:03 PM
chasrb

that is very cool! I found it in a google search...
Old 03-03-2007, 08:45 PM
n9331v

If anyone would like to hear the G20's in action check out this OV10.

http://www.rcuvideos.com/view_video....f854c444fb8b40
Old 03-03-2007, 09:15 PM
chasrb

High pitched, but still very nice.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:07 PM
AKondor

Hi Guys:

I'm left wondering how a pair Saito 90 radials would sound in the F7f. Anybody have any video of two running together in another type of plane?
Old 03-06-2007, 06:12 AM
chasrb

Andrew I wondered the same thing so I opened up two copies of the 170 running on the bench and timed the video to run at the same time, kinda workd. There is a 90R video here on RCU that you could do the same with.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:51 PM
AirBearMA
My Feedback: (1)

I've got one on order and will be using Axi 4130/20 brushless motors, a pair of CC HV-85 Esc's and from 28 to 40 A123 Li-ion cells. It will be much harder for me to lose an engine with this setup plus no cowl cutting will be needed.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:28 PM
Keith7

WOOO HOOOO! Mine just arrived.

Biggest model box I've ever seen too. I haven't pulled everything out of the box yet, but the quality looks fantastic. Don't even think about choosing a colour scheme - it comes in the "Big Bossman" scheme already. All decals & markings are already applied. I don't know if they're painted on, or decals under the clearcoat, but either way it looks great.

I haven't pulled the bits out yet, but the wing appears to be in 5 pieces. There are 2 aluminium joiner tubes, which appear to span each of the nacelles. Don't know if they're intended to be removable or permanently attached.

Retracts, oleos & wheels look great too. They even include plastic wheels in the kit as well. (I guess that's what you get if you don't elect to include the retracts.)

The cost of this was AU$865 including shipping (approx US$650), which has to be the best value airframe I've ever bought.

Can't help but smile!

Keith
Old 03-08-2007, 02:54 AM
fgpierce

Hey chasrb

JUST saw your question!
I haven't run them yet but it seems they are about like the Zenoah G-26 but lighter. In any case they should be more than enough power for the Tigercat and clean running!
Old 03-08-2007, 03:04 AM
fgpierce

Congratulations to you keith7

It would seem you may have recieved the first one or at least the first to announce. You lucky B#%@^*%^ !

Great news now I know mine is at least on the horizon.
If you can maybe a little more info for the rest of us aching out here!
Old 03-08-2007, 05:21 AM
Keith7

OK, I'll pull my head out of the box for long enough to type a few words.

The wing is indeed 5 pieces - centre section out to the nacelles, nacelle sections, and then tip panels. Large aluminium tubes pass through the nacelle sections, and plug into the adjoining panels. They slide into glassfibre tubes, and are epoxied in. There is no provision for making them removable, although it is possible to reach up into the undercarriage bay of the nacelles to access the wing root area. this would allow removal of the tip panels, if you were to install attachment bolts/incidence pegs. I'll probably do it that way; make the nacelle - centre panel - nacelle unit permanent, with detachable tips. Horizontal stab halves are attached the same way, with aluminium joiner through the vertical stab.

Wing centre panel, tips and horizontal stabs are glass/balsa/glass laminates. There are actually quite a lot of ribs & internal structure in there too - much more than I was expecting. All control surfaces have shrouded hinge lines (yay!) and molded-in surface detail. Knuckle hinge points are installed but not glued. There is some degree of panel line detail on most of the airframe.

Like all ESM/KMP models, the quality if glasswork is reasonable on the inside - not up to European standards of perfection, but the outer finish is indeed good. I've done lots of molding of full-glass electric F5B gliders, and I realise how hard it is to get a perfect molding, without blemish straight out of the mold. It's my belief that the Chinese manufacturers don't even try to do this, but simply do the best they can and fill/repair any imperfections before painting. For the price, you can't complain at all. It also means that all join lines & seams have been tidied up & are invisible. Very nice.

Main gear doors appear to be a plastic moldings rather than glass, and appear to be a reasonable fit. The instructions suggest that openings be cut in the doors to allow the gear to pass through, rather than make the doors operational. I'd like to make them operational, but at this stage don't know how good the shut lines will be, as the doors are quite large.

The "Big Bossman" image logo/picture/whatever looks absolutely fabulous, and livens up the model to no end. It's only on the LHS, which is a bummer, but probably scale?

Retracts, oleos and main wheels indeed look very well done. Hopefully they'll stand up to grass strips. Air up, spring down. Nose gear door attaches to the nose leg, with a sliding bracket arrangement. It looks like nose door swivels somewhat as the gear steers. All very exciting!

Even the canopy frames have been painted.

4 flap servos required, plus 2 elevator, 2 aileron, rudder, nose gear, retract, 2 throttles - so it'll be a 13 servo model. Pull-pull on rudder and nosegear. Elevator pushrods are installed; glass rod inner and plastic tube outer.

I had the model delivered to my office, and had to pull everything out of the gi-nourmous box, just so I can get it all loaded into the car. (Mazda RX8 - my own silly fault)

All-in-all, its very very impressive.

Grins all round,
Keith
Old 03-08-2007, 11:11 AM
chasrb

Keith7, thanks for the kit box review! I am really ready to get this plane! I'll have the same problem as you transporting the box home once it gets in the LHS ( Ihave the SC400 - Soarer) I share your small car pain...

On a very cool note, I have contacted the folks at Hobby Lobby where I got my FEMA onboard starter for my Saito 180, and I have been informed that FEMA starters are going to provide a onboard for the Zenoah G20ei! It'll be a compact attachement, bolting to the back of the engine mount. This new news is tipping me back to the gas solution for powering this airframe. The Saito 170 R or 90R radials are high on the cool list, but so is standing next to the Tigercat and firing each engine up and drawing them into perfect tune, very scale...

I am pumped to get my Tigercat!
Old 03-08-2007, 07:13 PM
orcrest

HAHA Keith7

I think I might have just pipped you! Mine was delivered yesterday at about 8.30 in the morning! It also came with a very nice Typhoon for company. I haven't pulled mine all out yet, just quickly slipped the packaging out of the main box to drool over the retracts and other nice bits and to pull out the manuals. Unfortunately I won't be able to fully appreciate them for a few weeks (maybe months..sigh) yet until I find a new house with some room to swing a cat!

In the meantime I'll just have to open the boxes every now and then to admire them!

Cheers

Da Orc
Old 03-08-2007, 07:15 PM
orcrest

Ooops. Double Post.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:20 PM
fgpierce

Hey orcrest

Listen..... no use letting that cat bug you. Just send it my way and I'll take care of it. I'm just glad to be able to help a fellow RCU bud out. AW shucks... your welcome
Old 03-08-2007, 09:44 PM
orcrest

Nice try mate!!

I think I'll hang onto it for awhile! But I REALLY appreciate you trying to help me out.

Cheers

Da Orc
Old 03-10-2007, 01:09 AM
AKondor

First batch to the US is almost here. The ship is in Seattle on Monday/Tuesday. Then 2 days to unload and a day to transfer by truck to the warehouse. As long as customs does not spring a surprise inspection (which they do 1 out of every 3 shipments on average) I am almost sure that we could be shipping kits as early as next Friday.....Fingers Crossed!!
Old 03-15-2007, 04:46 PM
chasrb

keith7 any chance of some detailed photos? I know you want to ....
Old 03-15-2007, 07:35 PM
Keith7

Chasman,

If I had a digital camera, I'd be delighted to post some photos! Sorry.

Keith
Old 03-15-2007, 07:47 PM
fgpierce

Hey there Keith7

How goes the build? Is everything fitting well so far?
By the way . thanks for the great discription of the F7F earlier

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.