Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

The Official Tamiya TA05 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 12:29 PM
rcluke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Official Tamiya TA05 Thread

i'll keep an eye out for those belts

where would this transponder holder go?

http://img.inkfrog.com/pix/jr-rc/538...ransponder.jpg
Old 03-26-2008, 01:25 AM
ighhockey9
My Feedback: (2)

Hey everyone, I just finished up my TA-05 a few days ago. I bought it to re-introduce myself to the hobby after a couple years on hiatus. I usually drive offroad nitro models so thought id do a 180 and get an electric street car. I'm running a 19t on a 6cell nimh right now and i'm looking for some more speed, used to the nitros. Anyone running a brushless system on 6 cells? I'd love to get a nice BL setup for 6 cells, lipos are a little expensive.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:33 AM
mkoresh12

I currently run my brushless on 6 cell nimh. I'm just running a 13.5 but its still much quicker than the brushed motor I was running. With the right brushless motor and gearing you can still hit some pretty good speeds with nimh. Just make sure you have good cells. Use GP, IB or the new ener-g cells.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:56 AM
rcluke

you can get a Mamba Max 7700 for less than $200. Which includes the ESC and motor
Old 03-26-2008, 12:46 PM
mkoresh12

The mamba is a good system so is Novak. From what I've read in other threads the Mamba overheats more easily than the Novak. Its also sensorless so more prone to glitching than a sensored system. I have the novak and have had zero glitching which is good since I race with it. I heard going to FM radio gear can help with the glitching. I've always had an fm system with the brushless so I can't say if it would be an issue with mine or not.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:00 PM
rcluke

i only said the mamba because it is cheap, i would never get one, if i got a b/l it would be novak / lrp
Old 03-26-2008, 03:13 PM
mkoresh12

Its novak for me too, due to the overheating and glitching I keep hearing about. It is cheaper and programable which a lot of people like. It can also hande more lipo cells that people like as well. The novaks were designed for racing so it conforms to most rules such as 6 cell nimh and 2s lipo. For racing the less glitching is a huge plus. People like the Mamba for pure speed reasons. Adding more cells, programming the ESC. As with anything each has their plusses and minuses. In other words I'm not knocking your suggestion, just adding to it. LRP seem to be a bit expensive too me. I guess the ESC is smaller but they don't seem to have a good history with their motors and the new vector(unless it has changed or the product info was wrong) doesn't automatically come with the sintered rotor like the SS Novak systems.(Early Novaks didn't either)
Old 03-26-2008, 03:39 PM
rcluke

i would probably still go with a novak, that is IF i a get a b/l. I am happy racing my Money motor now, quick enough when there is no grip.

How do your belts take the strain of the b/l?

i think i have stretched mine with my 19T
Old 03-26-2008, 05:51 PM
mkoresh12

I've only ran it a couple times with the b/l so far so good. I got it at the end of last season and my track is outdoors so we've been waiting for the weather to clear. Our race season starts late May early June. I've been needing to get some spare belts for when the season starts. The ones on it have a bit of run time but Tower has been out of stock. They just got some in so I'll have to order again when I get paid.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:58 PM
BigT441

hello. i'm new to this forum. I've had a ta-05 for a little over a year now. I'll have some pics soon. i'm also open to any questions. thanks guys.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:47 PM
BigT441

here's a pic
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28790.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	914395  
Old 03-26-2008, 11:38 PM
ighhockey9
My Feedback: (2)

How do you all set the belt tension? I just kinda fingered it so it wasn't too tight but where it's not so loose that it will skip teeth.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:21 AM
mkoresh12

ORIGINAL: ighhockey9

How do you all set the belt tension? I just kinda fingered it so it wasn't too tight but where it's not so loose that it will skip teeth.
Thats pretty much it. You definately don't want too tight. I had mine too tight and it would cause more stress on the motor leading to overheating. My belts are set so that if you push down with your finger the belt will just barely touch the brace in front or back.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:24 AM
rcluke

ORIGINAL: mkoresh12

Thats pretty much it. You definately don't want too tight. I had mine too tight and it would cause more stress on the motor leading to overheating. My belts are set so that if you push down with your finger the belt will just barely touch the brace in front or back.
mine are too slack for that
Old 03-27-2008, 11:43 AM
mkoresh12

As long as your not getting slippage you should be good for a while longer. If you have the adjustment as tight as it will go you probably should have some spare belts handy soon. Its not a bad idea to have a couple spares anyway. Are you running the Aramid or the regular. I immediately went to the aramid belts. So I do have the stockers as spares but I'll be ordering more soon. I stretched my first pair. I tried using the 3racing center pulleys with more teeth. At the loosest setting is was still way to tight. When I put the original center pulley back in and adjusted to the tightest setting it was too loose. So I wasted a set of belts.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:53 AM
rcluke

I am running standards

what belts should i get as spares?

any links?
Old 03-27-2008, 01:31 PM
mkoresh12

I don't know whats available to you locally but I would purchase the Tamiya Aramid belts. Don't know where it would be easiest for you to get them. They are on Towerhobbies and Rcmart for sure. RCmart carries some other brand belts as well but I've never used them.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:52 PM
rcluke

the ones rcmart sells

http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/produc...ducts_id=23626

and

http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/produc...ducts_id=15072
Old 03-27-2008, 04:22 PM
BigT441

one thing you may consider when adjusting the belt tension is that they will tighten as the car accelerates. then it depends on what kind and size of motor you have. I have mine set just about where mkoresh had them set. the only slippage I had was differential
Old 03-27-2008, 04:31 PM
rymansl2

Hey everyone, I just finished up my TA-05 a few days ago. I bought it to re-introduce myself to the hobby after a couple years on hiatus. I usually drive offroad nitro models so thought id do a 180 and get an electric street car. I'm running a 19t on a 6cell nimh right now and i'm looking for some more speed, used to the nitros. Anyone running a brushless system on 6 cells? I'd love to get a nice BL setup for 6 cells, lipos are a little expensive.
If your looking to go cheap then I'd get the Sidewinder 5700. Or you could go the more expensive route and get the Mamba 7700 like previously mentioned. The 7700 will make you doodoo your pants even on 6 cells Or actually you could do the Mamba 6900 for pretty cheap here : http://www.b-p-p.com/proddetail.php?prod=d_MambaMax6900

That'll give you a nice combo of top end and torque. And also not make the car a friggin ballistic missle.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:42 PM
BigT441

another option could be the Novak XBR. it's not quite as expensive as the mamba max, but comparable to the sidewinder. if your looking to race, i'd definitely look into the XBR. in my opinion, novak is more 'race ready' than castle is. they offer an 8.5, 10.5, and 13.5. that all depends on which class you race. but with either choice, your car is gonna definitely fly. (especially with a lipo pack)

Old 03-27-2008, 05:10 PM
mkoresh12

I don't know anything about the excel ones. The Tamiya ones lasted me an entire race season with some bashing in between. Like I said, I only stretched the ones due to my error. The Tamiya ones are actually a little cheaper, thats the ones I'd get. They are $9 a belt on Tower.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:14 PM
mkoresh12

ORIGINAL: BigT441

another option could be the Novak XBR. it's not quite as expensive as the mamba max, but comparable to the sidewinder. if your looking to race, i'd definitely look into the XBR. in my opinion, novak is more 'race ready' than castle is. they offer an 8.5, 10.5, and 13.5. that all depends on which class you race. but with either choice, your car is gonna definitely fly. (especially with a lipo pack)

I agree, the xbr is a good budget way to go, and with having a sensor it should have less glitching. They systems may only come with those motors(if purchased together) but I think you can use any novak sensored motor with the ESC so you could always get a faster motor later. Also, the XBR can take 7 cell nimh instead of 6 like the GTB.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:18 PM
BigT441

does anyone know about the integy competition kit? I'd like to find out if it's really worth the money. I know it's discontinued on tower, but my local hobby shop has one. here's a link:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXSBD5&P=X
Old 03-27-2008, 05:29 PM
rcluke

ORIGINAL: BigT441

does anyone know about the integy competition kit? I'd like to find out if it's really worth the money. I know it's discontinued on tower, but my local hobby shop has one. here's a link:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXSBD5&P=X
do you need new arms and uprights?

the aluminuim ones won't be much better than the standard ones, unless you really want to mod your chassis

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.