Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

NIB Dumas Scarab 38KV KAAMA Build

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

NIB Dumas Scarab 38KV KAAMA Build

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 10:23 AM
Rock69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: NIB Dumas Scarab 38KV KAAMA Build

Hi everyone, Looks like I found the right group of guys here. I am building my first boat.  Picked up a new Dumas 55 Scarab. Belonged to a guys Dad and was kicked around in the basement. Not going to be anything super trick. Stock weedwacker engine. Just something to play with when I'm sitting on my full sized Wellcraft.  I have the instructions and blueprint sheets. Also have sheets of build pictures that are water damaged and unreadable. If someone has those I would appreciate a copy. I'm also missing the decal sheet. Have the wood stringers and some of the other wood pieces.Missing things like windshield, servo box but I figure I can make those. Missing the radar arch. If anybody has spare pieces from their builds let me know. I am also stumped on one piece. I have a large fiberglass part that fits in the bottom of the hull. Looks like some type of engine mount but instructions call for wood stringers. Will attach a picture. Thanks for any and all help you can give me.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:26 AM
Rock69

Spare part?
Old 10-27-2010, 10:41 AM
FlogginHarvey

ORIGINAL: sticktickler

This project ever get done Trey? Sure woiuld like to see some pics. How about the Amsoil hull did you get them graphics on show us that one too. Thanks bud.
It has been sitting on the bench for a few weeks sadly. The Mystic has sucked up quite a bit of time trying to get it settled...hoping to pull it out from under the dust this month or Nov. I de-rigged so i can finich up the hatch work and get it painted...I am not looking forward to finishing the hatch. THAT is a TON of work on the glass and mounts...
Old 10-27-2010, 11:06 AM
GETUSUM
My Feedback: (7)

<div>To all here,</div><div> I want to first off apologize to Harvey, as well as anyone I attempted to send an e-mail to ( I have a hard time reading it) I have been having some health issues for the last 3 months,,in and out of the hospital, and the little button you push for pain med's and typing , take my advice DONT DO IT, it WILL make you type in a whole new language, not known to anyone!!!!! I am completely embarrassed BIG TIME!!!</div><div> </div><div> I have the Skater hulls they have turned out very nice.(no shoe box on the top or bottom) small amount of filler will be put in the seam.</div><div> </div><div> I HOPE to have the hatch done, Enclosed with Scale , detailed vents, scoops done I hope in the next 2 weeks.</div><div> </div><div> I will try to post better pictures as soon as I get back home,</div><div> </div><div> I do have a build sheet and any other items you need for your 55" Scarab, as well as a 45" that I will be selling, as well as 5 others.</div><div> </div><div> Again I feel like a total idiot for trying to type, I hope you all understand, Tired of laying here, so had my wife bring my laptop , DUMB move!!!! </div><div> </div><div>Can anyone here find me a outboard cover for a KnB 7.5 ??</div><div> </div><div>Richard</div>
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99777.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	1523936   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86099.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	1523937   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va71771.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	1523938   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tn32008.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	1523939   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cn78907.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	1523940  
Old 10-27-2010, 01:23 PM
FlogginHarvey

no worries, Richard! Health, everything going better? Pain sucks!!!

The sakter turned out awesome! Do you have a better pic (little farther aways) of the cat with the hatch?
Old 10-27-2010, 01:26 PM
FlogginHarvey

Hey Richard, it looks like you have been BUSY!!! I am not sure on the hatch quite yet. I am very hesitant on the tooling and model work as all I have been involved with have distroyed the plug when popping molds and I am not sure I am ready for that with all the time and frustration that has gone into getting this one figured out...let me get it final-fitted and ready for paint and see how it goes...?

Thanks for posting all the stuff you have been working on it looks like some exciting stuff. It might be an awesome idea to open up a RJ Racing team thread so we can see all teh stuff you have or are going to be bringing to market. I would VERY interested in seeing it all for sure!!! Most of hte work in getting the hatch finished up getting it fitted to teh hole and the deck to make sure it is flush all the way around. I was not as detailed in stretching the hatch as I should have been (that's what I get for taking a short cut there) and it caused a few days extra work getting it "flat."

Rocko, I have tried to scan the directions a few times with some success. I have another clean set I will try again on. Pop me an email tprice AT villagemarina.com and I will see what I can do.

There are a couple of other people that have tied sending me a note and I lost their addresses when my outlook crashed...for those that have please pop me another. sorry for any frustration/inconvenience...
Old 10-27-2010, 01:40 PM
GETUSUM

I did not mean to hijack yours, I will start a new thread , it will be GETUSUM inc , parts and ideas.

I am more than happy to help you on the hatch, Ihave hulls here to match everythig to. I have also all new interior parts,

if you need th back portion streached, let me know as I have parts to do the tooling with and can make it up for you, in no time, as I have gel cote guns, chopper guns, moldingand tooling gelcote, everything to make boats out of.

Let me know if there is anything you need help on.

Let me know what you are wanting and I can go out and tell the guys what I need .

Just send me pictures, of what you are trying to do, as it will not be a big deal
[email protected]

give me a call 713-705-6733 want to ask you something, and see if you have all the vents , Hatches on the bow ect,arches as Ialready have them moulded up, ready to go........
Old 10-27-2010, 02:14 PM
Rock69

Richard, good talking to you and hope you get home quick. Sent you the pictures. Hope you got them. With both of us on pain meds this could be some wierd conversations. Send me some pics of what you want to trade.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:54 PM
mistycreekboats
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to let everyone know here in thin thread, Ihave the 42" skater hulls in stock, , as well as a New 45 Scarab ( Dumas I am going to list soon for sale, new) I am almost done with all the tooling for the Hatch for the Skater as it will be set up for gas engines as the hatch will be an enclosed.

Richard
Let me know what a 42 Skater is to Canada - V2N 1C7 - I have a new QD 25 HT been saving and that looks like a good spot to me

[email protected] is my email - send me some pics and some $$$ info and we can work some thing out - these are PPB boats I take it???
Old 10-27-2010, 09:26 PM
rcguy1411

i see that you said the Skater is 42"what is the beam love the lines of it verry similar to the Dumas Skater 67 i have the Dumas hull are your rear hatches similar in size
Old 10-28-2010, 09:56 AM
Rock69

Hey Randy, Let me know when you put the dumas 45 up for sale. I'm starting the 55 now.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:16 PM
FlogginHarvey

Those are not the PPB Skater. The ONLY one that owns the rights to build those other than Paul (PPB himself) is Tom Borisch at ClassONE RC in Michigan. Tom worked out an agreement with Paul last year and BOUGHT the rights here in the USA. I am not aware that the rights have been sold by Tom or that Paul has granted the rights to copy the hull to anyone else. And, Tom actually just worked out getting the PPB Drag Cat to market here!!! YEA TOM!!!

From the pictures I see, the Skater Cat above is the original Dumas Skater that Dumas does not have the molds for any longer.

There is a second option for those interested in a 52 (PPB) or 53 inch cat. There is an outfit in Illinois doing one that is similar but not the same to the PPB Skater. His name is Rick and is a good guy. It is not the same running surface as the PPB boat a good runner none-the-less but not a PPB designed boat.

Back to the Dumas Scarab: I JUST scanned ALL the Dumas Scarab 38KV plans to JPEG and am happy to fire them off. I CANNOT email them as they are just HUGE files. If you want to mail me a thumb drive I will download them and put the memory stick back in the mail.

Please PM or Email me here for those that are interested and I will forward my mailing address for the thumb drive.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:42 PM
mistycreekboats

ORIGINAL: FlogginHarvey

Those are not the PPB Skater. The ONLY one that owns the rights to build those other than Paul (PPB himself) is Tom Borisch at ClassONE RC in Michigan. Tom worked out an agreement with Paul last year and BOUGHT the rights here in the USA. I am not aware that the rights have been sold by Tom or that Paul has granted the rights to copy the hull to anyone else. And, Tom actually just worked out getting the PPB Drag Cat to market here!!! YEA TOM!!!

From the pictures I see, the Skater Cat above is the original Dumas Skater that Dumas does not have the molds for any longer.

There is a second option for those interested in a 52 (PPB) or 53 inch cat. There is an outfit in Illinois doing one that is similar but not the same to the PPB Skater. His name is Rick and is a good guy. It is not the same running surface as the PPB boat a good runner none-the-less but not a PPB designed boat.

Not every Skater out there is a PPB............ Not sure Richard ever said anything about PPB - which are verrrrry nice - but also (unless ur a friend of Paul's = almost impossible to even get a reply from Paul they are also very high priced - I gave up and went with MHZGermany a couple weeks ago.

I'm pretty sure Richard has or had no intent on coping any PPB boats.

I do like Rick's Skater but am still waiting to see more than one running - Rick himself insatlled a new RCMKtwin inline (a while back) yet has no video or finished pictures. If the hull would run with some power I would be interested but still waiting for Rick to post. I am also more curious as to why to has not posted runs with twin........

Well done Richard I really like all the scoops and pieces you sent me pics of... Get well mate so we can pound on the pond

Trey I think I found that trigger thingie ........ makes boats go slower though ........ how is that any fun buddy ........... if you are not living on the edge - you take up to much space ..................... LOL

Cheers all

Later
Old 10-28-2010, 05:08 PM
FlogginHarvey

Oops, sorry to come on a little strong there! richard is a great guy and we have shared some fun chats on boats, RCU, and other things!!!

You're right. I saw PPB...and got carried away I suppose. If you want to see some extra running video there is a thread on Jims in the project section from Mark (Santavy1) that he built over the summer with an older QD25 that is running pretty awesome! I would post a link but you know the RCU rules...

the one he had at the shootout this year I saw running was powered by a stock RCMK EVO and ran around 47MPH. My PPB was running about the same before I firgured out I goofed with the exhaust. It looked pretty good when I saw it but he was playing with props and comparing notes on setup with mine last we chatted (that was around 4-6 weeks ago) and I never heard anything further...
Old 10-30-2010, 12:11 PM
GETUSUM

other pictures , computer acting up

Name:	Tr49277.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	1525395   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68459.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	1525396   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq37569.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	178.5 KB
ID:	1525397   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cw64104.jpg
Views:	102
ID:	1525398   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ep86722.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	1525399  
Old 10-30-2010, 12:12 PM
GETUSUM

<div>Idea for you Trey, I can take your rear section, make this hatch I have for running Gas engines in a Scarab, flatten it out, the3 raised areas, insert your extended rear ( My mold in red tooling gel cote for a molds, and then tie them together, and toy would have a place for 3 drivers a dash with gauges ,,,, windshield, or could make 2 pieces, the sky is the limit...

Just a thought

Richard</div>

Name:	Fd90756.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	1525404   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fb87768.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	1525405   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wc77203.jpg
Views:	80
ID:	1525406   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fy71668.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	178.5 KB
ID:	1525407   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ny26720.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	1525408   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xo88818.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	1525409  
Old 10-30-2010, 12:45 PM
mistycreekboats

Skater Hatch done yet ............ LOL .................. faster Richard ............ just kiddin .... hope u are felling better

Later
Old 10-30-2010, 12:53 PM
Rock69

Those look great Richard. So you open the front of the 3 raised ares for cold air in and open the back of the two raised areas for hot air out? You know I'll have to get one for my Scarab. Can the wing be reversed.? Or how about a couple pro stock scoops on the rear nacelles?
Old 11-07-2010, 11:28 AM
Rock69

Hey Richard,

How much are you asking for the Hatch Covers? Can the arch be reversed?
Old 11-07-2010, 11:31 AM
GETUSUM

Give me a week, and I will have 2 more to choose from,

Arch 25.00 hatch 80.,,,scoops I will be popping a bunch of diferent styles all week

what kind did you have in mind??? e-mail me a picture, and will build you a 1 off hatch..

will have 2 other styles in the next week, or so, you may like beter

Richard
281-331-5422

[email protected]
Old 11-07-2010, 11:37 AM
GETUSUM

Building molds now for the Skater , and the Scarab,,,,,where is your hatch Trey?????????????

told you send it and i will fix it

Richard

And yes the red you see on the back will be put on the new hatch, and NO raised areas,

Arches are installed and shared however you likethem,,,,, I send you one 1"-1/2" inches wide, square cut,

Richard

Made mistake,,,the hatch is 80.00, NOT60.00 sorry,,,
Old 11-07-2010, 11:52 AM
Rock69

Ever think of replacing the red nacelles with a pair of pro stock scoops?
Old 11-07-2010, 02:19 PM
GETUSUM

send me a picture of what you want and I can build it

find me a pic of a scoop
Old 11-09-2010, 10:41 AM
FlogginHarvey

Hey, Richard.

As we chatted I still have some work to do to the hatch prior to shooting it off. I HAVE to get it faired in to the rest of the deck if I don't get that accomplished prior to firing it off it will never fit correctly and NOT be worth you making a mold off of. Give me a few weeks...got a baby due in late December and the wife is starting to get cranky. Most of my spare time has been spent moving furniture, RE-painting walls and trim as she changes her mind, etc...all the fathers out there know the drill!

Here are some links to the Scarab plans and pictures. I have been asked to email or mail them and between crashing mine and others' servers with the size I thought I would post links. I cannot afford to mail these things all over the world BUT still try and help guys with old Scarabs!!! I do also have the pages of written instruction but scanned them to a pdf instead of a jpg so I couldn't upload to photobucket...learning. I will figure something out...

http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/...rBluePrint.jpg

http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/...dPictures1.jpg

http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/...dPictures2.jpg

http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/...dPictures3.jpg

http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/...dPictures4.jpg
Old 01-01-2011, 07:46 PM
mikef18

Harvey, any further progress on this build? I was given a 54" dumas scarab and I'm looking to do a similar build, your boat is looking awesome.
Richard, did you finish the additional hatch designs for this boat? I'm interested in getting a hatch from you.
keep up the good work!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.